If we are 9 or 10 do you trade out

Depends on the mocks. See some of the mocks on RealGM and look him up.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/01/isaac-bonga.html?m=1

The only concern is do we have to take him at 10.
Some folks on the realgm forum and that link you posted are the only two places I've seen Bonga being mocked to be taken in the first round. Every other major sports outlet out there that I've read has him in the 2nd round.

I'm not even a Kevin Knox fan but I think he would be a much safer bet. Bonga looks like he has some good tools but he has a ton of things he needs to put together to become a good player. Plus it's difficult to really grade a guy when he's playing in a German league.

If you traded back with the Suns you could theoretically get Robert Williams and Bonga but don't you think that's a pretty underwhelming draft after we were just talking about guys like Doncic up until a week and a half ago? I just feel like Williams is solid backup material and Bonga has a very high bust potential.

I just don’t think a trade back can be sold to the season ticket holders and corporate sponsors, guys. The FO doesn’t have the leash of an Ainge or Meyers to be able to sell a trade down every year if they feel like it. They need a really, really solid starter or an extremely exciting player coming out of this draft—something the casuals can glom onto. Another couple nice ceiling and low basement type players won’t move the needle. It’s one reason I’m not huge on Carter for us—won’t start right away and also not exciting at all. Excellent prospect...but not a great investment for this FO. Make of that what tou will.

Some folks on the realgm forum and that link you posted are the only two places I've seen Bonga being mocked to be taken in the first round. Every other major sports outlet out there that I've read has him in the 2nd round.

I'm not even a Kevin Knox fan but I think he would be a much safer bet. Bonga looks like he has some good tools but he has a ton of things he needs to put together to become a good player. Plus it's difficult to really grade a guy when he's playing in a German league.

If you traded back with the Suns you could theoretically get Robert Williams and Bonga but don't you think that's a pretty underwhelming draft after we were just talking about guys like Doncic up until a week and a half ago? I just feel like Williams is solid backup material and Bonga has a very high bust potential.
Whether we were talking about Doncic is irrelevant isn’t it?

I’m not thinking we need safe. We have plenty of okay picks. Bonga is a boom or bust type of player. But he supposedly has two items that I think are hard to teach: length and BBIQ.

Williams could be Jontay, Robinson or other options but we need a good rebounder.

Whether the fans know him or not doesn’t really matter.

Whether we were talking about Doncic is irrelevant isn’t it?

I’m not thinking we need safe. We have plenty of okay picks. Bonga is a boom or bust type of player. But he supposedly has two items that I think are hard to teach: length and BBIQ.

Williams could be Jontay, Robinson or other options but we need a good rebounder.

Whether the fans know him or not doesn’t really matter.
The Doncic thing was just for sake of conversation. It's just a sad state of affairs for us as fans when we had hopes for him not too long ago and now we're talking about guys that no one has brought up on this board at all. But it's the reality of the situation at the moment.

I just don’t think a trade back can be sold to the season ticket holders and corporate sponsors, guys. The FO doesn’t have the leash of an Ainge or Meyers to be able to sell a trade down every year if they feel like it. They need a really, really solid starter or an extremely exciting player coming out of this draft—something the casuals can glom onto. Another couple nice ceiling and low basement type players won’t move the needle. It’s one reason I’m not huge on Carter for us—won’t start right away and also not exciting at all. Excellent prospect...but not a great investment for this FO. Make of that what tou will.
I agree, the trade back thing needs to stop. Unfortunately if we are drafting in the 10 pick range there are no consensus needle movers in the eyes of these fans. Funny but I have more trust in many of the fans abilities to pick winners than I do of the Kings brass, and we don't even have the opportunity to try out players.
Its a bit sad as I believe we are one game changer away from being a really decent team and its looking likely we wont get via this draft. Perhaps Vlade will pull that player out of the FA lot.

At 9-10 the best player available is likely Collin Sexton or Alexander. If we are sitting there and assume the following are gone and Porter returns to school
Why are we to assume Porter is returning to Missouri? Are there any legitimate reports out there to suggest he's seriously considering it? After a cursory search, I didn't find any. If not, I think you have to include him in this list.

I think the Kings would be ok with drafting any of the following:
  • DeAndre Ayton
  • Marvin Bagley
  • Michael Porter
  • Luka Doncic
  • Mohamed Bamba
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Kevin Knox
  • Mikal Bridges
Considering that they have FOX, BOGIE and MASON, I don't believe they'd be overly interested in any of the following:
  • Collin Sexton
  • Trae Young
  • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
So if any of the three above were selected in front of them, one or more of the 8 above that could become options.

I'm not really sure where to categorize:
  • Wendell Carter
  • Miles Bridges
If the Kings end up at 9 or 10 (let's hope they do better than that), I still believe there's a good chance a player like Mikal Bridges or even Jaren Jackson falls to them. I can easily see 1 or 2 of the PG's getting drafted before the Kings are on the clock. And that would be a huge thing to have happen.

And don't sleep on the possibility of the Kings moving up a few spots to snag a player they covet.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings would be ok with drafting any of the following:
  • DeAndre Ayton
  • Marvin Bagley
  • Michael Porter
  • Luka Doncic
  • Mohamed Bamba
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Kevin Knox
  • Mikal Bridges
Considering that they have FOX, BOGIE and MASON, I don't believe they'd be overly interested in any of the following:
  • Collin Sexton
  • Trae Young
  • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
So if any of the three above were selected in front of them, one or more of the 8 above that could become options.

I'm not really sure where to categorize:
  • Wendell Carter
  • Miles Bridges
If the Kings end up at 9 or 10 (let's hope they do better than that), I still believe there's a good chance a player like Mikal Bridges or even Jaren Jackson falls to them. I can easily see 1 or 2 of the PG's getting drafted before the Kings are on the clock. And that would be a huge thing to have happen.

And don't sleep on the possibility of the Kings moving up a few spots to snag a player they covet.
I like your pick list breakdown although I'd also add Miles Bridges and Carter to the first list at the bottom.

I really think that Phx, if given the chance, will take either Young or Sexton. I feel strongly on that one and the other scenario is if the Magic pick outside top 5-6ish or so that they also may look at the PGs.

The other scenario that tends to play out is during the team workouts and rookie showcases, someone rises in the draft. Happens almost every year.

The tourney has really opened my eyes to Carter. I never compare players but it reminds me of my initial disinterest in Myles Turner, not an overly athletic big, but pretty sure I would like him as a King today.
I dont count on it but maybe Carter might be there when we pick.

I think we see who's on the board. If there is someone we think could start 20 games in at SF or alongside Giles then maybe we go for it. If not maybe a trade is appropriate for someone that fits one of those roles and maybe a 2019 first?

And that's where Z-Bo's contract can help us.

Why are we to assume Porter is returning to Missouri? Are there any legitimate reports out there to suggest he's seriously considering it? After a cursory search, I didn't find any. If not, I think you have to include him in this list.
Because all the other top players have declared and he has not. Rumors are he is considering going back to school which given he hasn’t declared seems clear he is considering it.

The tourney has really opened my eyes to Carter. I never compare players but it reminds me of my initial disinterest in Myles Turner, not an overly athletic big, but pretty sure I would like him as a King today.
I dont count on it but maybe Carter might be there when we pick.
If Carter were there I agree we take him. If he is gone and it’s Miles Bridges, Knox and the two guards I think hard about trading down.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Because all the other top players have declared and he has not. Rumors are he is considering going back to school which given he hasn’t declared seems clear he is considering it.
I'm not sure that's the greatest indicator, since players have another month to declare. I'd also suggest that not all the top players have declared. If we look at the top-20 from NBADraft.net, it looks like this:

International - 2
Luka Doncic
Dzanan Musa

Still playing in NCAA Tournament - 5
Marvin Bagley
Wendell Carter
Mikal Bridges
Gary Trent
Zhaire Smith

Declared for draft - 4
DeAndre Ayton
Mo Bamba
Trae Young
Robert Williams

Not yet declared for draft - 9
Michael Porter
Jaren Jackson
Collin Sexton
Kevin Knox
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Miles Bridges
Khyri Thomas
Lonnie Walker
Troy Brown

Ok. That's the info I was looking for. I wasn't aware all others had declared and he had not. Your reasoning makes sense to me now.

Everybody is considering returning until it’s tome to decide these guys were 1 and done long ago. Especially with his back he’s be foolish to go back
Yeah in his case their was reason to consider playing and showing more. I think he falls possibly to the Kings if they can manage to Lin against some bad teams. I think he made the right choice financially but it will cost him a couple million on his rookie contract.

Yeah in his case their was reason to consider playing and showing more. I think he falls possibly to the Kings if they can manage to Lin against some bad teams. I think he made the right choice financially but it will cost him a couple million on his rookie contract.
I think he made the right choice if you go back and get hurt again he’s slip out the lottery maybe even the 1st. He gets surgery again next year at least he got paid and was gone in the top 8.

Also I hope he falls to us I don’t think he goes ahead of Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley and than I think Jackson and Bamba will wow in workouts. So I think the Cavs will be the key spot they’ll go Young or Porter I think.

Also I think if Orlando drafts Porter that paves the way to grab Gordon especially in a sign and trade for WCS

Last edited:
I think he made the right choice if you go back and get hurt again he’s slip out the lottery maybe even the 1st. He gets surgery again next year at least he got paid and was gone in the top 8.

Also I hope he falls to us I don’t think he goes ahead of Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley and than I think Jackson and Bamba will wow in workouts. So I think the Cavs will be the key spot they’ll go Young or Porter I think.

Also I think if Orlando drafts Porter that paves the way to grab Gordon especially in a sign and trade for WCS
I tend to agree though depending on whom we draft we might not want a 4. I am assuming you expect us to draft Bridges in your scenario.

Falling this far back, all options are on the table. I would look for a riser here like Bonga or Musa. I have a strong feeling about Musa rising a bit towards draft day. Electric shooter. Alpha scorer. Needs work on his body and who knows how his defense will translate.