if the kings land a top 3 pick in the draft

Lots of 6'7"-6'9" PFs this year, but so far (players decisions, scoutings), there are a handful of 6'10"+ big men.

Last edited:
SacKings384 said:
Drafting European big men is tough... If you take a look at all of the past European Big Men drafted, they are extremely soft. (Darko, Dirk, and Pau) being the ones that come to mind. Of course I wouldn't mind Dirk or Pau, but you get the point.
Don't make Pau and Darko victims of your generalization. A couple of months ago, 'Sheed told reporters:[SIZE=-1] "I'm telling you, Darko is a Serbian gangster," Rasheed Wallace said. "Darko's got some bodies back there (in Serbia). He can go psycho on guys."[/SIZE]

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
One thing about Shelden Williams is even though he is around 6'8" or 6'9" his arms are so friggin' long! I can't wait to see what this guys measurements are. A guy like Splitter could be a good choice if we could land him.

i don't know what draft pick the kings land this offseason, but i hope with every ounce of my being that we can draft a big man who will be able to hold his own in a starting role, at some point. aldridge would be a dream come true, but it just aint gonna happen for the kings. hopefully we can get a channing frye (drafted 8th overall) type of player. his rebounding (almost 6 a game) isnt necessarily what the kings need, but he's a difference making kind of player. it'd be nice to get a big man with enough of a defensive upside that we could really use him. drafting the most talented player is one thing, but we're stacked at the combo guard position. as bad as hart is, he's still our backup pg, an we have price sittin on our bench as well, and garcia is proving to be a capable ballhandler. its the F/C spot where we need some improvement, so i think management should take whatever risk they have to in order to draft a big man who could help improve our rebounding.

What I've been saying for awhile, Padrino. Agreed.

On Price, I don't think he's just some young guard, Petrie really wanted him and I see him sticking around. Especially with how most of Hart's season has gone so far.

Last edited:
Vlad said:
Don't make Pau and Darko victims of your generalization. A couple of months ago, 'Sheed told reporters:[SIZE=-1] "I'm telling you, Darko is a Serbian gangster," Rasheed Wallace said. "Darko's got some bodies back there (in Serbia). He can go psycho on guys."[/SIZE]

That's clearly hyperbole, but I would still trade for the guy and move him to the 3, shifting Artest to the 2. I just think his true skills are not being utilized at his current position. A coach like Adelman could really bring the best out of Darko.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the Kings land a top 3 pick in the draft, this will all be academic. Most "fans" will have jumped off the Tower Bridge by that point.

Reminder: This isn't the trade thread.

I agree with a lot of that. Put me on the Josh Boone bandwagon. Insert Boone at the 4 spot, and he is an immediate difference maker for the Kings. I would even put him above Shelden Williams because there is no concern about Boone's height. While I think Williams will be very good in this league, there is a real concern that he could bust. Boone plays better in big games as well, as plays within himself. As the scout says, Boone can work himself out of a slump without complaining for more touches, and he has improved each year.

I also agree on Powe, but I doubt that his draft stock gets better with time. His knee will continue to be a concern, and the drafts are going to get considerably stronger after this year. If Cal makes a run, he should go. I think Powe will have very good individual workouts, and may even sneak up into the mid-first, a la Corliss Williamson. He's also a great pick for established playoff teams looking for bench help. Shoot, Simien, despite all his injury and size concerns, was a first last year, and he is nowhere near as polished as Powe.

Splitter seems to be the latest product of the Euro hype machine. I think he falls victim to the Curse of Skita. Couple that with the Lopez fiasco of last year, and teams will probably be a lot more discerning in taking player's with Splitter's credentials.

Ronnie Brewer, who I have not seen this year, reminds me of Joe Johnson. He looked like a stud before though, and I imagine a late lottery team rolls the dice on him.

Venom said:
Splitter seems to be the latest product of the Euro hype machine. I think he falls victim to the Curse of Skita. Couple that with the Lopez fiasco of last year, and teams will probably be a lot more discerning in taking player's with Splitter's credentials.
I know that Tiago plays in Spain (even has dual Spanish-Brazilian nationality, I believe), but he is Brazilian so Curse of Skita does not apply to him. Amazing specimen and could do well. Doubt he will last until we pick.

MaNiac42 said:
too early to discuss draft...8th seed atleast is what im seeing...hopefully all the way?

It's never too early to mention the draft. Besides, it's quite simple to ignore threads one does not have an interest in. This thread is at 3 pages now, so clearly there is some interest from at least a niche group of fans. Besides, talent evaluation is a fluid thing. You think Petrie is not currently evaluating talent? He darn sure better be if he is considering trading our first.

Will Thomas Stay At LSU?14th February, 2006 - 3:56 amDraftExpress.com - Tyrus Thomas’ camp has actually been trying to get out the message all year long that he is not ready by any means to enter the NBA draft and will need at least another season or two of polish before he even considers doing so.

And after watching him closely over the past three games, it’s pretty tough to argue with that. His lack of strength has really become a hindrance to his game, being outmuscled badly in the post both defensively and on the glass, struggling to establish any type of rhythm for himself offensively as he’s constantly pushed off the block, and looking very frustrated with himself and a lot more raw than most people initially thought he was.

He’s still a top prospect for any draft he decides to enter because of his incredibly high ceiling, but it might be wise to take a step back and let him fulfill his wishes as well as those of his family of becoming a truly dominant NCAA player before he makes the leap to the next level.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39128/20060214/will_thomas_stay_at_lsu/

Since reading about him, I've thought he should stay 1 or 2 more years.