if the kings land a top 3 pick in the draft

i know this might be premature but if the kings land one of the top 3 picks in the draft who would you select and why?

i haven't looked at any of the prospects but i'd prefer to select a big man.

LeMarcus Aldridge or Shelden Williams.

Still 10 games and the tournaments left though.

www.nbadraft.net

I really expect us to draft a big man. We have no youth there other than Sampson, and who knows what becomes of him. I assume that is Petrie's next area of focus this year for drafting.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
??????

Wouldn't it really depend upon what, if anything, happens between now and Feb. 23?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
SoupIsGood said:
Your record isn't that bad is it???
We're in the lotto right now, but would have to luck out big time to get 1-3.

If it was me, I'd have to go with talent. Can't draft by need. Would rather have a guy like Williams, but if Morrison or Rudy Gay are on the board you'd have to take one of those guys.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Barring a real collapse, there is probably less than a 10% chance of this happening if we end up later in the lottery so...

Aldridge would be the obvious pick for us.

I'm not sure Williams is going to translate well into the NBA, but he's there.

Also that Tyrus Thomas kid at LSU has a lot of buzz around him, and Tiago Splitter is back in the draft this year.

A

artestG

i think its safe to say the cats we got running our team will make sure we at least get 6th spot in the west, if not higher. we got rid of the players that were holding us back and our roster esspecially our back court is full of guys with heart ready to get the job done

Bricklayer

Kings113 said:
6th spot? I don't know about that... be pretty amazing though.

I'd say 8th, possibly 7th.
6th is nearly impossible. Right now its being held down by a team (Memphis) on a 48 game pace. Last year it was won by a team that won 50.

Even if it was "only" 48 wins to get it we'd have to finish the season 29-8. In other words, really not happenning.

Drafting European big men is tough... If you take a look at all of the past European Big Men drafted, they are extremely soft. (Darko, Dirk, and Pau) being the ones that come to mind. Of course I wouldn't mind Dirk or Pau, but you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If we end up with a lottery pick, I would like to pick Tiago Splitter...A seven foot Brazilian.

The guy can score, and rebound on some occasions. Ive read his potential as a defender can grow.

Depending on what happens with trades, my top 3 are Aldridge, Rodney Carney and, based on what I've heard, Tyrus Thomas (haven't seen him play). The Kings need athleticism, and these guys have it.

I agree with Brick, I don't think Shelden Williams' game will translate to the NBA. He's undersized, he's not that athletic, he struggles on man to man defense and has given up career games to good power forwards.

P.S. If the Kings have a pick around 13-14, I'm all for Matt Haryasz. He's athletic, good rebounding skills, good on offense inside and out. He'd be a good fit for the Kings.

Here's his last six games, against some very good Pac-10 teams:
Cal: 24/10
Arizona: 25/7
ASU: 27/10
WSU: 22/9
UW: 24/10
Oregon: 24/14

Last edited:
correct me if i'm wrong, don't they have the ping pong balls to decide who gets the 1st 3 picks? the 3 worst teams get the most chance but you can't always guarantee that if you have the worst record (portland trailblazers last yr) i'm just assuming we hit the lotto and won one of the 3 picks. i'm hoping we don't sneak into the playoffs only to be knocked out of the 1st or 2nd round. relax folks, this all speculation and having some fun.

We will take the best available player. People assume that we will take a "Big" every year. But we never do. Petrie has made it clear that if the best available player is another swingman than that's who we will take. He does not draft out of needs.

Last year I expected the best available player, this year, I do not, indeed. ;)

I'll be surprised, and fine with it if we get a swingman (there are a whole bunch of nice ones), but I'd prefer a big man.

UclaKingsFan said:
If we somehow landed one of the top three, my wish list would look something like this:

1. L. Aldridge
2. R. Gay
3. A. Morrison
A. Morrison? No way in HELL does he fall far enough for the Kings to get him. He's going in the top 3 no doubt...

SacKings384 said:
A. Morrison? No way in HELL does he fall far enough for the Kings to get him. He's going in the top 3 no doubt...
The title of the thread and the very first sentence of my post should have been some kind of indicator as to what we're talking about here.

A

AriesMar27

i guess we should draft a big man but with thomas and reef on the squad until 2009-10...... maybe we should go after a energetic, playmaking point guard.....

Bricklayer

AriesMar27 said:
i guess we should draft a big man but with thomas and reef on the squad until 2009-10...... maybe we should go after a energetic, playmaking point guard.....
You are assuming far too much there.

Bricklayer

Kings113 said:
^ Indeed.

Besides, it wouldn't have to be a power foward, we could go after a center or combo big man.
A big combo 4/5 is actually what I would PREFER for that spot. Give us real size and ability to take whichever was the tougher frontcourt matchuop, and also would kill two birds with one stone (could swng to backup C when Brad was out).

Pure 5 would be problematic, and rare of course. Have to be a special athlete to be able to play alongside Brad. Doesn't look like there are any of those high in the draft this year anyway.

W

West_Gunslinger16

For the love of God! Petrie, draft a really good rebounder/defender/scorer and a tall one. Don't commit the same mistake again on the next draft! He did draft a good defender/scorer but the height of Garcia isn't good enough to stop Tim Duncan, Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett.