I Will Miss Chris Webber the Man, More than C-Webb the Player

Personally this is my last word on this trade. Once I see Chris slip on that 76er uniform on Saturday and play against the Kings, closure will begin for me.

Chris Webber was a man that took a load of critisism throughout his almost seven years in Sacramento. Some of the critisism was self inflicted, but as a 17 plus year resident of Sacramento, I saw a lot of unfairness when it came to Chris Webber the basketball player and the man. This is a quote from a writer of the Philadelphia newspaper:

"To paraphrase rapper Jay-Z, Webber's many talents on a basketball court are a gift and a curse. His body is a hybrid of seemingly inconsistent parts; no big man is supposed to be able to pass as well as the 6-foot-9 Webber does, and surely such a passer shouldn't have his Velcro-like hands. A power forward shouldn't be able to step out on the perimeter and drain 20-footers all day, but Webber can.

And all of that is attached to a smile that overpowers his face - a face that showcases wry humor, intellectual candlepower and innate curiosity.

Those gifts, however, create monstrous expectations. And throughout his 11-year NBA career, Webber - acquired by the Sixers late Wednesday from Sacramento - has come up just short of fulfilling all that potential with a championship".

Did Chris Webber diss Sacramento when he first got here, YES.
Did he court other towns while he became a Free Agent, YES.
Did he blast the media over his Tyra Banks relationship, YES.
Did he lie to a grand jury about something that happened 15 years ago, YES
Did he get suspended violating the leagues substance abuse policy, YES
Did he call out his teammates, when he should have looked in the mirror, YES

But throughout all of this and the things I am forgetting, dude was straight up entertaining, interesting, complex and compelling all at the same time both on and off the court. He was a lightening rod for both praise and controversy, shouldering both tremendous love as well as overwhelming hate from the same community. But what I will say is that we witnessed a tremendous amount of maturity from the 25 year old that did not know if he wanted to be in Sacramento, to a 32 year old man who said "he would never trade this for the world".

As far as I am concerned, though the Kings are my team and I will back them to the death. But this team is clearly not as entertaining without Vlade, Doug Christie and especially Chris Webber. Through his philophanthropic efforts with the TLC Soup Kitchen, Crocker Art Museum, Grant Union School District and other things. His articulation, his quotes, his snarl.... and that unbelievable smile that would make me melt AND I AM A HAPPLY MARRIED, HETROSEXUAL MAN :D Clearly, and I mean clearly this team is not as interesting or entertaining as it once was. Will we win? That remains to be seen. But sports is more than about wins and losses. More than whether one cat takes 20 plus shots per game and the other cat is trying to find his way. It is about being entertained. That is what Chris Webber the man did, he entertained and we all won both on the court and in the community.

GO KINGS!!!

Last edited:
Agree wholeheartedly. Who couldn't love his beautiful smile. I think that's my favorite thing about him, his wonderful smile. I really wish Cwebb the best, and am glad he was a part of the Sacramento Kings.

Do you realize the offense that we ran forced Webber outside of the paint? Do you realize Brad doesn't play in the paint either any more. If you don't like that we have jump shooters at the 4 and 5 position that you can blame Adelman and Carril for that. That's the way this team works. That's the way the O is suppposed to run, Webber adapted to this. he was a to the face player but that's not what was required. i understand he probally can't operate in the paint like he used to either but it doesn't mean he can't get in there, the O isn't meant for him to.

G

godsthename

the last 6 and a half years have been great. dont worry webber i am not saying goodbye cuz i will be there every game i can watchin and routing for you and ur new team.go philly.seeing you in that uniform will be weird getting used to. but whats going to be even harder is seeing you throwing between ur legs to iverson and not bibby, tossing it out to korver for 3 and not peja. but for me and all the kings fans i want one last smile to let us know you are alright and there is no hard feelings. Because in my mind what u have givin up and done for the kings franchise deserves you a spot in the rafters and a part of the franchise once you retire.

I love the theory that somehow Chris controlled the ball against everyone else's will. The other teammates threw the ball to him in the high post...that's the offense. They were then supposed to cut, set picks, etc and get open while Chris distributed the ball. If no one got free, it was on Chris to make something happen. So if you want to be critical of something, be critical of Adleman and Pete Carill for such an "inferior" style of offense that led to a top 5 scoring team and the most exciting team in the league. With Vlade and Doug gone, it became that much more Chris' responsibility to distribute the ball. So you are entitled to your opinion, but I am entitled to my opinion that you really don't understand how the Kings offense works at all.

exactly skeletor, most of you guys obviously don't understand this. webber molded his game to fit the coaching staffs and not the other way around. webber's mobility was questioned this year but he could still give a jump hook and he still leads the team in dunks this year. your coaching staff decided this and i loved the offence but obviously you guys are oblivious to the team's offence.

yea seriously - enuf with the webber took too many shots theory....this season (arguably the Kings worst in the last few years) the Kings still scored like they used to...that means that Webber's "dominating of the ball" still was enuf to have one of the mst dangerous offenses in the nba....if people want to criticize Webb for defense, fine, but criticizing a man with 4 triple doubles on the season for being selfish is just plain ridiculous

Last edited:
King_Peja. THE O was not the problem this year. Did we have ANY offensive problems. That's what were leaning to. I guess if an offensive problem is 2nd in the league in scoring than it's a major problem right. Who cares if Webber was leading the ball, we were 2nd in the f'in league in scoring. If we were last then I'd say something but we weren't. The most important thing are Ws, but the reason we were losing is because we can't stop anyone not because we can't score. Scoring has never been a problem with the Princeton Offence. The defence has a problem.

Do you understand the princeton offence at all King_Peja. REALLY DO YOU? The big men distrubute the ball. Miller and Webber do the duty just like Vlade and Miller last year. Do you fail to realize this fact. If you don't understand this you better stop watching Kings basketball because it's how it works. As long as you have Carrill and Adelman running this offence a high post center or forward will be passing from the top of the key. Get over it, if you don't like it get rid of the coaching staff.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
King Peja said:
Chris Webber should not be controlling the offense PERIOD. Just throwing the ball to Webber in the post is exactly what opponents want the Kings to do. They realize he has very little post moves due to his lack of athleticism and quckness and if he wanted to take a shot nobody could care less, just as long as Peja or bibby dont have a chance to get a shot off. That type of offense was slowing everything down and was allowing Webber to do whatever he wanted and turned the kings into a much less exciting team but more importantly made their record worse. You are also telling me that Webber does not control the offense but you clearly state that he is the main guy in charge of the offense. It seems to me that you dont really know what your talking about.
Our record being worse had NOTHING to do with the offense. NOTHING.

Our ppg, assists, shooting, everything right where it should be for a Kings team.

Our record being worse had everything to do with lack of hustle on defense and the boards. That's where this season was lost.

Last edited:
King_Peja and if you don't realize OTHER teams are running this O now. Washington and Orlando are running it now. They realized it works, maybe you can't win a title, but we probally could have if healthy for the playoffs, but it wins games over other systems.

Purple Reign said:
Personally this is my last word on this trade. Once I see Chris slip on that 76er uniform on Saturday and play against the Kings, closure will begin for me.

Chris Webber was a man that took a load of critisism throughout his almost seven years in Sacramento. Some of the critisism was self inflicted, but as a 17 plus year resident of Sacramento, I saw a lot of unfairness when it came to Chris Webber the basketball player and the man. This is a quote from a writer of the Philadelphia newspaper:

"To paraphrase rapper Jay-Z, Webber's many talents on a basketball court are a gift and a curse. His body is a hybrid of seemingly inconsistent parts; no big man is supposed to be able to pass as well as the 6-foot-9 Webber does, and surely such a passer shouldn't have his Velcro-like hands. A power forward shouldn't be able to step out on the perimeter and drain 20-footers all day, but Webber can.

And all of that is attached to a smile that overpowers his face - a face that showcases wry humor, intellectual candlepower and innate curiosity.

Those gifts, however, create monstrous expectations. And throughout his 11-year NBA career, Webber - acquired by the Sixers late Wednesday from Sacramento - has come up just short of fulfilling all that potential with a championship".

But throughout all of this and the things I am forgetting, dude was straight up entertaining, interesting, complex and compelling all at the same time both on and off the court. He was a lightening rod for both praise and controversy, shouldering both tremendous love as well as overwhelming hate from the same community. But what I will say is that we witnessed a tremendous amount of maturity from the 25 year old that did not know if he wanted to be in Sacramento, to a 32 year old man who said "he would never trade this for the world".

As far as I am concerned, though the Kings are my team and I will back them to the death. But this team is clearly not as entertaining without Vlade, Doug Christie and especially Chris Webber. Through his philophanthropic efforts with the TLC Soup Kitchen, Crocker Art Museum, Grant Union School District and other things. His articulation, his quotes, his snarl.... and that unbelievable smile that would make me melt AND I AM A HAPPLY MARRIED, HETROSEXUAL MAN :D Clearly, and I mean clearly this team is not as interesting or entertaining as it once was. Will we win? That remains to be seen. But sports is more than about wins and losses. More than whether one cat takes 20 plus shots per game and the other cat is trying to find his way. It is about being entertained. That is what Chris Webber the man did, he entertained and we all won both on the court and in the community.

GO KINGS!!!

Just a great post. I too, will miss CWebb the man. I will miss him on the court, on the sidelines, in the interviews, and in the community. We have watched him grow up here. Of course, he's made mistakes (which of us hasn't if someone chose to follow us for 7 whole years just waiting for us to screw up) but he has done so much for us. He has put Sacramento on the map. His passion and energy have inspired his fellow players, and us as fans. He has made the Kings a place that other NBA players would want to play. This is truely the end of a wonderful era for the Kings, and Webb was a huge piece of that. He will not be forgotten.

He was a great guy in the community, but I'm sorry I can't agree that this team isn't and won't be as exciting. These trades started happening because this team got so stale it was visible from my living room at home. I was starting to get bored seeing the same guys get the same lackluster results. This year that 6th man banner should have been taken down at Arco. The crowd wasn't even into it as much. Mobley was a shot in the arm, and so was Evans. This team will be MORE exciting as we get MORE athletic. I've been dieing to get some guys in here that can jump and dunk..actually have hang time. We started that with Evans and Mobley...Kenny Thomas will definitely add some to that. The young legs of Songaila, Peja if he actually breaks out and becomes what he once was. I don't know about you, but THAT will be exciting to me. A breath of fresh air.

I can understand your feelings. Sacramento NEVER experienced something like this. Vlade, Doug, Chris etc. were parts of the first EVER squad in Sacramento to have any kind of success. And, as that is pulled away from your fingers that are desperately trying to hold on to what once was, you're scared that you'll never get it back. That this team will slide back down and become what it once was, a bottom feeder of the NBA. That's not gonna happen. This team will get more exciting over the next couple seasons, maybe even through the end of this season. Mark my words.

Last edited:
DocHolliday said:
He was a great guy in the community, but I'm sorry I can't agree that this team isn't and won't be as exciting. These trades started happening because this team got so stale it was visible from my living room at home. I was starting to get bored seeing the same guys get the same lackluster results. This year that 6th man banner should have been taken down at arco. The crowd wasn't even into it as much. Mobley was a shot in the arm, and so was evans. This team will be MORE exciting as we get MORE athletic. I've dieing to get some guys in here that can jump and dunk..actually have hang time. We started that with evans and mobley...Kenny thomas will definitely add some to that. The young legs of Songaila, Peja if he actually breaks out and becomes what he once was. I don't know about you, but THAT will be exciting to me. A breat of fresh air.

I can understand your feelings. Sacramento NEVER experienced something like this. Vlade, Doug, Chris etc. were parts of the first EVER squad in Sacramento to have any kind of success. And, as that is pulled away from your fingers that are desperately trying to hold on to what once was, you're scared that you'll never get it back. That this team will slide back down and become what it once was a bottom feeder of the NBA. That's not gonna happen. This team will get more exciting of the next couple seasons, maye even through the end of this season. Mark my words.
i find myself disagreeing with you, but i admit i seriously respect your optimism

Purple Reign said:
Why, cause he is quoting Jigga Man :eek:
actually no...it was this part that just seems like him

i can just imagine him going YES after each one of those statements...lol...i mean if its not Stephen A. then who the heck is it? :p

DocHolliday said:
He was a great guy in the community, but I'm sorry I can't agree that this team isn't and won't be as exciting. These trades started happening because this team got so stale it was visible from my living room at home. I was starting to get bored seeing the same guys get the same lackluster results. This year that 6th man banner should have been taken down at Arco. The crowd wasn't even into it as much. Mobley was a shot in the arm, and so was Evans. This team will be MORE exciting as we get MORE athletic. I've been dieing to get some guys in here that can jump and dunk..actually have hang time. We started that with Evans and Mobley...Kenny Thomas will definitely add some to that. The young legs of Songaila, Peja if he actually breaks out and becomes what he once was. I don't know about you, but THAT will be exciting to me. A breath of fresh air.

I can understand your feelings. Sacramento NEVER experienced something like this. Vlade, Doug, Chris etc. were parts of the first EVER squad in Sacramento to have any kind of success. And, as that is pulled away from your fingers that are desperately trying to hold on to what once was, you're scared that you'll never get it back. That this team will slide back down and become what it once was, a bottom feeder of the NBA. That's not gonna happen. This team will get more exciting over the next couple seasons, maybe even through the end of this season. Mark my words.
I understand on the court. Even though nobody threw a pass with as much flare as Webb. To me the best pass Chris Webber threw was against the Mavericks, Game 2 of last year's playoff. He catches the ball on a fast break and with his back to the basket, and face completely to the crowd he rips off a beautiful no look bounce pass to a streaking to the basket Peja for a dunk. MAN, IT WAS SWEET.

But as far as entertainment, I am talking more about the "flava". I am talking about the charisma, image and somewhat edge this team possesed. Right now we have a bunch of good safe guys who say much of nothing. Just like Peter Piper or whatever Spiderman's name was and Jay-Z quoted, "gifts are at times a blessing and a curse". With prima donna superstars there comes a lot of good and some bad. Like Allen Iverson.

iheartBrad said:
actually no...it was this part that just seems like him

i can just imagine him going YES after each one of those statements...lol...i mean if its not Stephen A. then who the heck is it? :p
That part was me :eek: . Maybe I have a future in sportswriting. The rest of it was from some Philly writer.