I like DC but..................

There is no way we would have won that game if we didn't do that trade to get Mobley. Doug would have never poured in 23 points. The Wolves would have collapsed in on Bibby and Miller, since Doug was never a factor for scoring. Mobley makes the team so much harder to guard because he is such a great scorer and always hits clutch shots.

I think the Bibby/Mobley backcourt is an awesome tandem. Then when BJAX comes back in April and Evan is back next week we will have 4 awesome Guards.

Bibby/Mobley/BJAX/Evans

and "if you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball"!

Peja4threee said:
There is no way we would have won that game if we didn't do that trade to get Mobley. Doug would have never poured in 23 points. The Wolves would have collapsed in on Bibby and Miller, since Doug was never a factor for scoring. Mobley makes the team so much harder to guard because he is such a great scorer and always hits clutch shots.
I had the same thought yesterday. No disrespect to DC, who brought it in other ways, but you have to have more points than the other guys to win. "Cat" showed some Christie-like courage yesterday, too, sucking it up with the groin pull and stomach trouble to play with the team shorthanded.

Peja4threee said:

I think the Bibby/Mobley backcourt is an awesome tandem. Then when BJAX comes back in April and Evan is back next week we will have 4 awesome Guards.

Bibby/Mobley/BJAX/Evans

and "if you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball"!
Or it could be that with Christie in the line-up we wouldn't have expected 23 from him and the game would be 80-60 to Kings. ;)

SaCKiNgS24 said:
WRONG!

i seen doug jack up clutch 3's plenty of times.
Doug hit some clutch 3's. However, I would have to say that he was a below average shooter. If you watched teams they would frequently leave Doug to double Webb or Peja. Mobley is keeping teams honest.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I generally do not like this kind of threads. DC is a part of the Kings history
( pretty good chapter if You ask me). There is no need to compare apples and oranges. One day Mobley will leave (or get traded or retire ...) and somebody else will take his place and so on and so on. Since the whole thing is based on speculations anyways - we will naver know what DC would have or wouldn't have done.

I'm With You ...

piksi said:
( pretty good chapter if You ask me). There is no need to compare apples and oranges. One day Mobley will leave (or get traded or retire ...) and somebody else will take his place and so on and so on. Since the whole thing is based on speculations anyways - we will naver know what DC would have or wouldn't have done.
Woulda/coulda/shoulda ...

No disrespect, but DC is on another team ... let's move on.

piksi said:
There is no need to compare apples and oranges. One day Mobley will leave (or get traded or retire ...) and somebody else will take his place and so on and so on. Since the whole thing is based on speculations anyways - we will naver know what DC would have or wouldn't have done.
That's one way to look at it, I guess. Another way is this: The Kings made the Christie-Mobley trade for the here and now, for the best opportunity to win as many games as possible this season. Now, I'm not trying to turn this into an argument about DC's contributions to the Kings; those speak for themselves, and we all should appreciate them. Still, it's hard to imagine DC being as big an offensive factor as Cat was yesterday under adverse circumstances.

On a team without B-Jax for the long haul and with C-Webb's (and now Peja's) health a constant concern, it's nice to know there's another guy capable of putting up 20 a night on the floor -- one, it should be noted, who also plays respectable defense. I miss DC and will always think of him as a King, but I'm sure glad Cat's on our side.

I agree with piksi. Enough with the "I love Doug Christie but..." threads. There are no ifs or buts about the way DC played for the Kings. If you want to praise Cat, its fine and well deserved but please don't diss DC to make a comparison. For those with selective amnesia, please see Game 7 from last year playoffs against the Timberwolves where DC played good D and put up points on the boards not to talk about the several clutch plays on both ends of the floor.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And I'm all for enough of the deification of DC. DC made a huge contribution to our best teams, but that DC is gone, was gone even before we traded him. Got old. Faded. Happens.

Cat is the better player today. More importantly, Cat is the better player for US today. And he's got a long future. Slam dunk trade. And we don't win yesterday with old Doug, maybe not even with young Doug. We needed scoring, and lots of it. Cat provides that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I, too, think the time has passed for the discussion of DC one way or another and how he might or might not have influenced a particular game.

The King is gone; long live the King. Obviously paraphrased because I didn't want to use "dead." ;)

As a long-time Kings fan, I root for the guys who wear the uniform with Sacramento on the front. Doug's uniform says Orlando.

Having said that, I don't see the need to downplay in any way the contributions DC made to this team while he was here, because they were many and varied.

I wish Doug all the success in the world with Orlando, unless - of course - we see him in June.

GO KINGS!!!

piksi said:
Don't forget, the day that Mobley leaves could be very soon. Wonder if the Kings will get him to stick around or even see a future with him??? If he keeps doing what he's doing I suspect he'll be a King for a long time.

SacTownKid said:
Don't forget, the day that Mobley leaves could be very soon. Wonder if the Kings will get him to stick around or even see a future with him??? If he keeps doing what he's doing I suspect he'll be a King for a long time.
If he is smart he will stay but there is going to be the motivation that his next contract may be his last big one before he degrades/retires. However, from what I have read from him and just by looking at his body language, I think he has been very pleasantly surprised by the environment in SacTown and our rabid fans. He is putting up great numbers, hitting clutch shots, being embraced by his new teammates, and is on a perennial championship contendor.

Since both Bjax and him are free agents this next offseason if we can convince Mobley to stay at a decent price to replace Bjax it would be perfect. He is a good clutch shooter like Bjax, can provide instant offence, and is a good defender. He also is younger than Bjax and I haven't been terribly encouraged by all of Bjax's recent injuries. He seems like he may be close to going on a downslide like Christie.

... and Bobby's defense has been slipping the past two seasons. Of course, if we let Bobby walk, we need a player who can come off the bench and defend, rebound and score. Those don't come along too often.

Since both Bjax and him are free agents this next offseason if we can convince Mobley to stay at a decent price to replace Bjax it would be perfect. He is a good clutch shooter like Bjax, can provide instant offence, and is a good defender. He also is younger than Bjax and I haven't been terribly encouraged by all of Bjax's recent injuries. He seems like he may be close to going on a downslide like Christie

Bobby is not a Free Agent after this year, the Kings have a team option on him.