How will the Kings manage $59M in practical cap space

Is it too soon for someone to start a wins prediction thread or final playoff seeding in west for next year?

I think kings are looking at the 4th or 5th seed :cool:

I think with Davis and Lebron they make the play-offs. I’m looking at with whom do we compete for a play-off spot.
Im not so sure.
LBJ and Davis have to carry a huge load on their shoulders and im not sure either is durable enough for that anymore. And they BOTH have to stay healthy to be on the court together to produce thise wins. They also dont complement each other that great either. Both share the same attackimg space and while respectable outside shooters, dont spread the floor for each other.
And defensively, who will they pass the tough matchups off too?
I will enjoy their matchup against Philly

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think with Davis and Lebron they make the play-offs. I’m looking at with whom do we compete for a play-off spot.
If they get Leonard - a horrid thought - it's a done deal. But if they don't get Leonard, they are going to have some major issues with depth. Depth is going to be crucial in the West next year because of the fierce competition. Adding to their depth problem, is that both LBJ and AD need load management during the season. A ton of players have gone off the board for them, one of whom is Corey Joseph:). The Russell dream is bye bye. And if Leonard doesn't sign with them, then probably Danny Green doesn't sign with them either. My guess is that Leonard doesn't sign with the Lakers. I just can't envision a guy like him buying into the Lakers' glitz and riding the coat tails of LBJ.

If they get Leonard - a horrid thought - it's a done deal. But if they don't get Leonard, they are going to have some major issues with depth. Depth is going to be crucial in the West next year because of the fierce competition. Adding to their depth problem, is that both LBJ and AD need load management during the season. A ton of players have gone off the board for them, one of whom is Corey Joseph:). The Russell dream is bye bye. And if Leonard doesn't sign with them, then probably Danny Green doesn't sign with them either. My guess is that Leonard doesn't sign with the Lakers. I just can't envision a guy like him buying into the Lakers' glitz and riding the coat tails of LBJ.
I just don't understand how it's even a tough decision for him. The Raps have a shot at clicking off a couple championships in a row if he stays. The top teams in the West are much weaker and the Bucks lost Brogdon and didn't gain anyone of any real value. Basically the Raptors would just have to worry about how the revamped 76ers might look. There is no easier road to a championship than he one he can take if he stays in Toronto.

100%

Kawhi is the undisputed hero with the Toronto champion. No question he is the Batman. That is how you win and earn respect! LBJ and KD should take note when analyzing how they failed their own "legacys" practically cheating their way to easy rings. LBJ did what Kawhi did 1 time with the Cavs, but those miami one need an asterisk.

If he joins LBJ in Laker land, IF they win anything then its just another asterisk win for one of the glitz superstars of this age.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't understand how it's even a tough decision for him. The Raps have a shot at clicking off a couple championships in a row if he stays. The top teams in the West are much weaker and the Bucks lost Brogdon and didn't gain anyone of any real value. Basically the Raptors would just have to worry about how the revamped 76ers might look. There is no easier road to a championship than he one he can take if he stays in Toronto.
My cynical (and hopeful) mind wants to believe that Leonard is delaying his decion on purpose, to leave both the Lakers and Clipps with crumbs when he finally decides to stay with the Raptors. By doing so, he puts a dagger in the heart of the competition.

My cynical (and hopeful) mind wants to believe that Leonard is delaying his decion on purpose, to leave both the Lakers and Clipps with crumbs when he finally decides to stay with the Raptors. By doing so, he puts a dagger in the heart of the competition.
His popularity will surge. I might just buy a jersey

And he's the patron deity of Canada to boot.

Signing in LA means the next championship is all about Lebron, and a lesser extent the Lakers brand. Full stop. Lebron gets what Lebron wants; superstars at his beck and call and to shift the league in his favor.

The calculus for Leonard got a lot more complicated when he was traded to the Eastern Conference, where the entry requirement to get to the Finals is not nearly as steep as it is out West. It got even more complicated after he won the title in Toronto. Now he has a difficult decision to make:

1. Remain the King of Canada and run it back for a title defense, or
2. Depart for his native LA, where he could
(a) be the undisputed "man" in a Clippers uni, or
(b) join Lebron James and Anthony Davis in a Lakers uni to form the league's most-hated superteam.

His apparent preference for the Clippers over the Lakers was interesting to note throughout this last season's spate of rumors, but perhaps that changes now that he's got another title under his belt. Perhaps he's thinking that he can have his cake and eat it, too: play in his hometown and still compete for titles with the Lakers.

It doesn't really strike me as an easy choice, if I try and put myself in Kawhi's shoes. The difficulty for NBA fans is that Kawhi Leonard is the most inscrutable superstar the NBA landscape has seen in a long time. It's impossible to get a sense of his thinking. He manages to be even less readable and even less forthcoming than his former teammate and legend-of-stoicism Tim Duncan.

Does Leonard actually care about whether or not he plays for a "hated" team? Does he care an iota about what the fans think of him? Does he want to compete for a title at all costs? Is he in it for the building of his "brand"? Or is it really just about playing in his hometown, in front of his family, who are all Lakers fans? I honestly have no idea.

Kawhi Leonard was always going to be the wild card of this free agency period once it officially opened, but in one respect, he has been true to what we know of him: while the rest of the free agent class was making a ton of noise yesterday, Kawhi Leonard didn't say a damn thing. The guy is making his decision in his time and for his reasons, whatever they may be (and we may never know what those reasons ultimately are). I remain curious to see what he'll do.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I can see Leonard in Toronto. If the Canadian constitution would allow it, he'd be elected prime minister. Secondarily, I can see him with the Clipps. At least the Clipps have a roster and he'd be in a comparable situation as he was with the Toronto. But as a Clipper he's going to be playing in the same building as the Lakers and it's just too weird to have all those Lakers' statues out there while you're playing in a Clippers' uniform. But I cannot in any way see Leonard with the Lakers. He's not glamor, he's not "one of the boys"; he doesn't pal around with LBJ and AD. Does Kawhi Leonard give a whit about movies or the media or Space Jam? LBJ is Hollywood and AD is wannabee Hollywood. Leonard just wants to be his quiet self and live his quiet life and win championships.

Murray is a better player than Buddy
Based upon what? Sure, Murray is younger and might develop into a better player at some point. But other than passing the ball, statistically, what has Murray done better to this point in their careers? Buddy shoots and rebounds better than Murray.

Some of you baffled me with comments like this.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Based upon what? Sure, Murray is younger and might develop into a better player at some point. But other than passing the ball, statistically, what has Murray done better to this point in their careers? Buddy shoots it and rebounds better than Murray.

Some of you baffled me with comments like this.
Murray is a better scorer, where as Buddy is the better shooter.

I would rather have Buddy. However, I acknowledge that Murray would probably make more in the open market. Having said that, I have no desire to see Buddy hit RFA and get a 4 year max from the Knicks or something, and then we lose a year of Buddy’s prime because we failed to extend him.

Murray is the more valuable player in regards to trade value. Your talking about a 22 year old vs. a 26 year old. They may have similar impact on the floor right now but you have to bank on Murray’s potential considering the huge age difference.

Yeah, I'm watching this Buddy:

The one getting in there for offensive put backs, cutting off the ball, and finishing in the open floor. He's a gunner for sure, but he's got more to his game than just shooting.

Buddy is a very limited creator, with and without the ball, he can rarely break down any decent 2s , and he is also a below average ball handler. If he improves those 3 aspects of his game, he can be an All Star. If he can't he's still a great scorer and should be the Number one option on the Team. He has rarely shown he can take over a game against playoff caliber competition. That what separates Klay from Buddy. Klay is also a superior defender in every facet. That's why he's getting paid. Buddy is equal to Klay in the shooting category. Difference, Klay is a complete player on both ends of the floor.

What does that mean? A player that will take over and win against a Top team when the Kings need buckets.

If the Kings expect to compete for an eight seed, Hield will definitely need to take another leap.

So glad now that we didn't get this bum. And I'm looking forward to coming back to this when we win all our matchups this year.

View attachment 9239
Now, he's a bum? Because he didn't sign with Sac. You better hope Kawhi doesn't sign with them. You'll be eating your words. If that's the case, Kings won't win a single game against them. As it is, Clips took all 4 without Kawhi last year. Clips have a better coach(It's not even debateable) better front office, and a very well rounded team.

You think Dedmon, Joseph, and Ariza are going to make that much difference? Joseph and Holmes were solid signings for role players. Dedmon can also help if he can stay on the floor. Ariza was like signing Zak Randolph. The signings will only be helpful, if Bagley and Fox make huge jumps this year. Divac is banking on a major improvement from both.
I am hoping that Bagley can be that 20-10 guy this year. Fox has a chance to be an All Star this year.
Their growth is imperative, if the Kings want to have a shot at the playoffs this year in a much tougher West than last year.

IF not, it will look like Bellinelli, Rondo, and Hill all over again.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So glad now that we didn't get this bum. And I'm looking forward to coming back to this when we win all our matchups this year.

View attachment 9239

Sounds like the classic instance of someone trying to convince themselves they made the right decision. Now that Kawhi is probably going elsewhere I'm sure a lot of things crossed Beverleys mind. Mostly things you'd have to bleep on television.

I was saying it tongue-in-cheek, but if you wanna dance, let's dance.

Exhibit A:
You better hope Kawhi doesn't sign with them. You'll be eating your words. If that's the case, Kings won't win a single game against them. As it is, Clips took all 4 without Kawhi last year. Clips have a better coach(It's not even debateable) better front office, and a very well rounded team.
None of these are facts. Moving on.

Exhibit B:
You think Dedmon, Joseph, and Ariza are going to make that much difference? Joseph and Holmes were solid signings for role players. Dedmon can also help if he can stay on the floor. Ariza was like signing Zak Randolph. The signings will only be helpful, if Bagley and Fox make huge jumps this year. Divac is banking on a major improvement from both.
We could've been a Playoffs team last year if a few things towards the end of the season had gone right. I say even without the new signings, we'd have a good chance to compete. (Sidenote: Zach Randolph)

Exhibit C:
I am hoping that Bagley can be that 20-10 guy this year. Fox has a chance to be an All Star this year. Their growth is imperative, if the Kings want to have a shot at the playoffs this year in a much tougher West than last year. IF not, it will look like Bellinelli, Rondo, and Hill all over again.
So far, the only new big addition in the free agency to the west are Anthony Davis, D'Angelo Russell, and Bojan Bogdanovic. With Klay Thompson possibly resting some of next season, KD left for BKN, Rockets rosters in chaos, I failed to see how it is MUCH TOUGHER WEST as you suggested.

It's easy to fall prey to the eye-test. But next time it might be worth trying to add some actual facts into your conversation.

Now, he's a bum? Because he didn't sign with Sac. You better hope Kawhi doesn't sign with them. You'll be eating your words. If that's the case, Kings won't win a single game against them. As it is, Clips took all 4 without Kawhi last year. Clips have a better coach(It's not even debateable) better front office, and a very well rounded team.

I am hoping that Bagley can be that 20-10 guy this year. Fox has a chance to be an All Star this year.
Their growth is imperative, if the Kings want to have a shot at the playoffs this year in a much tougher West than last year.

IF not, it will look like Bellinelli, Rondo, and Hill all over again.
It remains to be seen where Kawhi signs. The West is weaker IMO. The Vets signed by the Kings have the "Sand" needed to body up on the Clips. Should be good games this coming season.