How much are the Kings missing Vlade?

VF21 said:
I was and always will be a huge Vlade fan. BUT Vlade never did have the killer instinct about basketball. After he and Peja won the International Title for their country, he seemed to feel even LESS inclined to really put it all out there on the court.

Don't get me wrong. Vlade did wonders for this franchise. I respect and admire him for that. And, even more so, I respect and admire him for what he's done off the court as a goodwill ambassador for the game of basketball AND as a voice for the children in need who had no voice before him.

Having said all of that, I think way too much emphasis is being placed on team camaraderie. I don't care if they socialize off the court; I don't care if they know each other's families. The whole idea that players do better when they're buddies off the court is misguided IMHO.

They don't need to be friends or buddies. They DO need to respect each other and, as I've said in another thread, they need to TRUST each other as paid professionals.

The touchy-feely stuff is fine, but it doesn't win championships. If I want a heart-warming experience, I'll get a dog. If I want to WIN a battle, I want the guy with the most brains, guts and skill standing next to me and I don't care if we don't get along off the court.

Those two paragraphs right there...money...simply and completely well put.

Vlade understood what the basketball is all about. Team play. It's so simple : move the ball to the open man, be unselfish and truly support your teammates. Today we have a bunch of selfish guys stuffing their own stats. Thats how Bibby have 0 assists, thats why Peja dissapears and thats why we are where we are.
Vlade made everyone around him better player to the point where average players performed at an ALL star level. (CHris , Peja, Brad, Mike etc..)
It was so apparent that when he was chased out of Sac ( anyone remember Ostertag "investment") the things turned the way they are now.

VF21 said:
I was and always will be a huge Vlade fan. BUT Vlade never did have the killer instinct about basketball. After he and Peja won the International Title for their country, he seemed to feel even LESS inclined to really put it all out there on the court.

Don't get me wrong. Vlade did wonders for this franchise. I respect and admire him for that. And, even more so, I respect and admire him for what he's done off the court as a goodwill ambassador for the game of basketball AND as a voice for the children in need who had no voice before him.

Having said all of that, I think way too much emphasis is being placed on team camaraderie. I don't care if they socialize off the court; I don't care if they know each other's families. The whole idea that players do better when they're buddies off the court is misguided IMHO.

They don't need to be friends or buddies. They DO need to respect each other and, as I've said in another thread, they need to TRUST each other as paid professionals.

The touchy-feely stuff is fine, but it doesn't win championships. If I want a heart-warming experience, I'll get a dog. If I want to WIN a battle, I want the guy with the most brains, guts and skill standing next to me and I don't care if we don't get along off the court.
I'll get a cat:D

Anyways, we need vlade. He made everyone better. He was a great teammate and encouraged his teammates. I don't get why we chase everyone who made us good out... vlade, chris...

D

DaKings

lucifer said:
Vlade understood what the basketball is all about. Team play. It's so simple : move the ball to the open man, be unselfish and truly support your teammates. Today we have a bunch of selfish guys stuffing their own stats. Thats how Bibby have 0 assists, thats why Peja dissapears and thats why we are where we are.
Vlade made everyone around him better player to the point where average players performed at an ALL star level. (CHris , Peja, Brad, Mike etc..)
It was so apparent that when he was chased out of Sac ( anyone remember Ostertag "investment") the things turned the way they are now.
Hey bud I dont like the nick, but hey you make some good points. He really did make everyone better.

D

DaKings

BMiller52 said:
I'll get a cat:D

Anyways, we need vlade. He made everyone better. He was a great teammate and encouraged his teammates. I don't get why we chase everyone who made us good out... vlade, chris...

I agree, sorry to double post, I saw this after I replyed

lucifer said:
Chased out of Sac?? I love peoples misguided perceptions of things that happened. The organization simply didn't see him as worth 5 mill, and by the way they were right. He didn't play most of his last season, because of herniated discs, and when he came back he was useless and out of shape. It was a sound decision.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Vlade got old. Happens. He basically was out of the league as soon as he left Sacto.

And we went on without him and still had a very good team the next year. No doubt weakened, but an easy 50+ win Kingslike team. And everybody but Peja was playing quite well thank you (Peja obviously did, and has, missed Vlade immensely -- the old man should have been getting part of his paychecks for all those years). Wasn't until the series of followup moves ripped out the rest of our heart (Doug, Webb, Bobby) that things reached this point. Nearly everything that made us Kingsish was moved in the space of 12 months.

P

pedro

I'd take that other serb in a heartbeat, what's his name? kristic? The guy has pretty good stats. really active. Anyway vlade's not coming back. Time to move on. Having said that, i'll miss vlade.

DocHolliday said:
They aren't missing him at all since he had herniated discs and can't play basketball anymore.
Ouch, if you know what I mean. Personally, I've always felt Vlade got too much credit here in Sac.... he got all the credit, basically. That's not to diminish what he brought, but it was a combination of things.

Smart_guy3 said:
I'm not talking about his passing which we could've used his passing right now btw, but I'm talking about his leader-ship and his will to regroup the guys in the locker-room It's so frustrating to see this team have no real leader.

again I think this might've been discussed serveral times but seriously how much do we miss him? A WHOLE LOT!
Vlade is in our past, Petrie must get a handle on this team and find something new to define itself. We can talk all we want about the last 6 seasons...Chris this, Vlade this...but neither is here, or is coming back...so Petrie needs to really get started on his 3rd wave of a Kings team since he's been here...first it was the Mitch/Olden/Grant years, then the Chris/Vlade years...now comes the 3rd wave. Whatcha got up youre sleave, Geoff??

pedro said:
I'd take that other serb in a heartbeat, what's his name? kristic? The guy has pretty good stats. really active. Anyway vlade's not coming back. Time to move on. Having said that, i'll miss vlade.
Why would you want another unathletic big man who can not rebound or play defense. No thank you.

AleksandarN said:
Why would you want another unathletic big man who can not rebound or play defense. No thank you.
He is not unathletic. He is a reasonable athlete. He is no Amare but he is a pretty good athlete. He also plays some solid D. Point taken on rebounding though. That always has been and still is his major weakness.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Krstic is not now, nor will he EVER be the player Vlade Divac was. And I'm not just talking about statistics. Vlade was unique, special and the Kings were lucky to have him come here and be part of the team that was.

It's time to move on. Vlade isn't coming back; Chris isn't coming back; Doug isn't coming back; Bobby Jackson isn't coming back; Hedo Turkoglu isn't coming back; Scot Pollard isn't coming back; Jon Barry isn't coming back; Lawrence Funderburke isn't coming back.

Petrie made the right decision about Vlade and he made the right decision about Doug, especially when you consider how very little basketball either of them played after leaving.

The current Kings aren't missing Vlade at all. Why? Most of them never stepped on the court with him.

VF21 said:
Krstic is not now, nor will he EVER be the player Vlade Divac was. And I'm not just talking about statistics. Vlade was unique, special and the Kings were lucky to have him come here and be part of the team that was.

It's time to move on. Vlade isn't coming back; Chris isn't coming back; Doug isn't coming back; Bobby Jackson isn't coming back; Hedo Turkoglu isn't coming back; Scot Pollard isn't coming back; Jon Barry isn't coming back; Lawrence Funderburke isn't coming back.

Petrie made the right decision about Vlade and he made the right decision about Doug, especially when you consider how very little basketball either of them played after leaving.

The current Kings aren't missing Vlade at all. Why? Most of them never stepped on the court with him.
I am not sure anyone said that Krstic is or ever will be Vlade. They are 2 totally different players. The only similarities they have is that they both play/ed center, grew up through the ranks of Partizan, wore #12 and are Serbian. As far as their games are concerned, they are totally different in a lot of ways.