How Many Kings Wins in 2004-2005?

How many Kings wins in 2004-2005?

Votes: 10 13.0%

Votes: 40 51.9%

Votes: 22 28.6%

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
This is interesting. I'm happy, and looking forward to the season. And yes, it is distinctly possible for a positive, generally happy, person to enjoy a 48-game season. There are always positive elements in NBA games, even losses. One of the best soccer games my daughter ever played was a 12/1 loss to a superlative U-19 soccer team from Danville.

This year , I am looking forward to seeing the rookies play. Maybe one of them will turn out to be a star. I am also looking forward to seeing Songaila play this year. He is a good man, and I will enjoy watching him succeed. I suspect that Peja will have a special year, and the emotional dynamics will be interesting. I expect to see more of the same from Bibby, Webber, Brad, and Christie.

It seems as though there is a relatively narrow range of honest opinions that may be expressed here without disparagement. Given the player-configuration of the Western Conference, the current make-up of the Kings, some key Kings players with nagging injuries, and recent history, I expect the Kings to win a very respectable 48 games.

I wonder what the Las Vegas odds would be for the Kings to win 72 games this season? Winning 72 games this year would suggest that the Kings are the odds-on favorite for the 2005 NBA Championship. If Chris, Bobby, and Doug remain healthy and 95% effective throughout the season, I suppose that a championship might be a distinct possibility. That would be nice.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
Given the player-configuration of the Western Conference, the current make-up of the Kings, some key Kings players with nagging injuries, and recent history, I expect the Kings to win a very respectable 48 games.
And there may be the difference in opinion. I don't look at 48 games won as necessarily a very respectable season. We have a lot of talent; if things go our way, I think the team could easily win 52+ games.

:D

Since you've got it all figured out, QD, just fill me in on this.....do we have home court in the play offs? I could care about the rest;) Certainly, I want to win as many games as possible, but there is that ultimate goal........yes, health in the Post Season.

While I "hope" the Kings win 82 games, I voted that they would win 48 because that seemed the closest to what I imagine them winning (50). Health seems to be the biggest factor and as we've never had luck with that in the past, I imagine that will be issue again this year. I'd like to think that the Kings and their fans get lucky this year and are all somewhere near healthy when the playoffs roll around so we can see what this team can do all together when it matters. Go Kings!

I'd be happy with your rookie guard pickups this year. Minard and Martin are going to be players in this league. I'm jealous.

If Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson, and Doug Christie finish the 2004-2005 season without serious injuries, the Kings will enjoy home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.

quick dog said:
Fans are certainly optimistic around here. I remember last year when Bibby predicted 70 wins in 2003-2004. A whole bunch of kings fans had visions of sugar-plums, tooth fairies, and 70 wins. Again, I was viewed as pesimistic with expectations of about 55 games. Winning 60 games is no picnic, 70 is ridiculous. Remarkably, more Kings fans think the Kings will win 72 games than believe they will win only 48 games. To me, that is remarkable. 48 wins equates to a 58.5 winning-percentage. 72 wins equates to an 87.8 winning-percentage. The Kings can't even make free-throws that efficiently.

48 wins. Get used to it. Don't worry, be happy.
In 2000, LA had separate streaks of 31-5 and 30-1 which included 16 and 19 game win streaks and they still didn't make it to 70. Some fans don't appreciate how many wins 70 is.

For Sac, I'm guessing 50 wins due to the improvement of the West and the thinning of their bench. That's if Webber plays 65+ games and all the others stay reasonably healthy.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
quick dog said:
... Given the player-configuration of the Western Conference, the current make-up of the Kings, some key Kings players with nagging injuries, and recent history, I expect the Kings to win a very respectable 48 games.
The way I see it, the Kings should still be able to beat almost every team in the western conference at least three out of four times this season. The only teams that concern me are Minnesota and San Antonio; Houston has become a Shaq&Kobe-lite with Ming and McGrady, but I'm not worried about them that much... Dallas, in my opinion, has actually become worse than they were last season, because as much as they needed an inside presence, I think that Nash was more important, given the strengths of the Mavericks and the way Nelson coaches... Memphis is going to continue to be good, but not they're not appreciably better than they were last season... Los Angeles, in my opinion, is worse as well... Utah made some significant changes, but I'm not sold... the only two teams that have, in my opinion, become appreciably better are Denver and Phoenix, and I have my doubts about them as well.

Basically, the only key loss for the Kings last season was Divac, and I'm not going to believe that the loss of Divac is going to be the difference between 55 and 48 wins until I see it for myself. I think this team is better than that.

Good points Slim. I'd only be concerned with four things this season;

- How Peja plays in a situation he doesn't want to be in.
- How Peja's trade demands affect his teammates.
- How Vlade's trade affects the team, which includes Peja especially.
- Health, period (mostly Webber).

So overall, a lot of the team's hopes for a title this season rest with how Peja handles what has transpired over the last 6 months.

KA_2 said:

So overall, a lot of the team's hopes for a title this season rest with how Peja handles what has transpired over the last 6 months.
If I were a Kings fan, I'd be concerned with 2 things.

1. Injuries to starters and/or BJ
2. Prolonged defensive slumps

Gargamel said:
In 2000, LA had separate streaks of 31-5 and 30-1 which included 16 and 19 game win streaks and they still didn't make it to 70. Some fans don't appreciate how many wins 70 is.

For Sac, I'm guessing 50 wins due to the improvement of the West and the thinning of their bench. That's if Webber plays 65+ games and all the others stay reasonably healthy.
That Garamel, ever the Kings optimist

I think 50 give or take 3 games is realistic judging by what they've done in the past few regular seasons (until proven otherwise). However, that's a huge caveat I stuck at the end of my prediction given that Sac is consistently bitten by the injury bug. Another prediction is that Adelman will have to drive some of his starters into the ground this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 said:

The health concerns are legitimate, IMHO.

The concerns about Peja will fade with time, especially if he realizes that he is still an integral part of the team. It's my opinion that his feelings were hurt because, with Hedo and Vlade both gone, he felt somewhat out in the cold. I don't believe that feeling will continue.

I assume that everyone noticed that last night's loss at Golden State caused a minor shift in the How Many Kings Wins poll results. Fickle fans? Wait until we lose a real game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
I assume that everyone noticed that last night's loss at Golden State caused a minor shift in the How Many Kings Wins poll results. Fickle fans? Wait until we lose a real game.
To be honest, I hadn't noticed. But, since people are only allowed to vote once in the poll, there isn't an actual shift, is there?

BTW, the game was at Arco, not in SF.

;)

VF21 said:
To be honest, I hadn't noticed. But, since people are only allowed to vote once in the poll, there isn't an actual shift, is there?

BTW, the game was at Arco, not in SF.

;)
I would hope that fans wouldn't base predictions off of the first preseason game. The second half was played almost entirely by guys that wont even be on the roster in months or so deep in the rotation in wont matter.

I think 60 games is optimistic, but not overly so. This team was capable of winning 60+ last season without Webber, but not without Webber, Brad, and Bobby down the stretch. I think 53-55 is guaranteed and if the powers that be make the team overall healthier then last year, 60 games is not only feasible, but it should be expected.

When did Golden State start playing their games in SF, VF21? =)

VF21 said:

BTW, the game was at Arco, not in SF. ;)

There were apparently some "undecided" voters.

News Flash

I dredged this old thread up to emphasize how volatile fan support can be. Read some of these predictions. I think we need to relax and watch a few more games before writing off Peja, Chris, and the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Us? Who's us? You got a mouse in your pocket, Aries? Not everyone around here has lost hope or faith or belief in the team.

:D