How does Bogdanovic look so far?

Through 5 games what do you guys think of Bogdanovic? Small sample size, but he's put up 10pts 2asts 2.4rebs 1.4slts 1to on 46.7/23.1/100

On offense, he tries to play within. This is good and bad. Good that he doesn't try too hard and just naturally flows. Bad because our offense is horrible and he's passive. On defense, he looks solid out there. He's not laterally quick, but he tries to use his entire frame and wingspan to contain perimeter players.

I've always thought Bogdan was an inconsistent shooter, and so far, he's only made 23.1% of his 3s. That number should rise up, but I wouln't be surprised if he was a sub 35% shooter only. He seems hesitant from long-range. He doesn't have the quickest release, but he'll pass up open looks for the dribble. Once he gets more comfortable in the NBA, I expect him to take more 3s and less dribbles inside. As a shot creator, he's not good, but his ball handling opens up the offense with his PnR ability.

So far, I think Bogdan has looked solid. He's showed good IQ on both ends. I don't think he's a NBA starting SG yet, but he'll get there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Through 5 games what do you guys think of Bogdanovic? Small sample size, but he's put up 10pts 2asts 2.4rebs 1.4slts 1to on 46.7/23.1/100

On offense, he tries to play within. This is good and bad. Good that he doesn't try too hard and just naturally flows. Bad because our offense is horrible and he's passive. On defense, he looks solid out there. He's not laterally quick, but he tries to use his entire frame and wingspan to contain perimeter players.

I've always thought Bogdan was an inconsistent shooter, and so far, he's only made 23.1% of his 3s. That number should rise up, but I wouln't be surprised if he was a sub 35% shooter only. He seems hesitant from long-range. He doesn't have the quickest release, but he'll pass up open looks for the dribble. Once he gets more comfortable in the NBA, I expect him to take more 3s and less dribbles inside. As a shot creator, he's not good, but his ball handling opens up the offense with his PnR ability.

So far, I think Bogdan has looked solid. He's showed good IQ on both ends. I don't think he's a NBA starting SG yet, but he'll get there.
I think he's a keeper. Unlike some other guys on the team who are "iffy," Bogdan is a guy that you can pencil in for the years to come. He's barely scratching the surface. After he has this year of experience under his belt he'll take a pretty big step up, imo. That said, he's a 25 year old rookie with a lot of professional experience, so we have to keep that in mind when we evaluate some of the other youngins on the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I split this away from the old thread that hadn't been active for three months. No need to dig that far back in the archives to revisit something that was originally brought up months ago. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In the Pistons game thread, I mentioned that I was going to hone in on one player for the game and try and assess his strengths and weaknesses from the big picture point of view. I had already decided to pick Bogs for the simple reason he fascinates me. I think he could end up being an incredible player for us for a long, long time.

One item to consider is Bogdan doesn’t have his legs because he hasn’t had of off season of conditioning in quite a while.

He played the Olympics in the summer of 2016. Then he played Euroleague, then this summer he played Eurobasket. You can’t condition fully when prepping for a tournament. Ideally Bogdan would have taken the summer off to condition and learn the Kings system. He choose not to and it’s definately affecting his play.

In the Pistons game thread, I mentioned that I was going to hone in on one player for the game and try and assess his strengths and weaknesses from the big picture point of view. I had already decided to pick Bogs for the simple reason he fascinates me. I think he could end up being an incredible player for us for a long, long time.
I agree.

He strikes me as a Ginobilli-like type of player, and I see him having a career to match (in the NBA)

Just to testify to what I think of Bogs:
In the beginning of the season I added him to ALL of the Fantasy teams I run.
(No drops or trades, either. He's a keeper in my book)

I'm glad I did, and I'm pretty sure I won't regret it.

I've really been surprised by his IQ (pick n roll game) and how solid he has been on defense being able to body and stay in front of quicker and taller players. I think Bogdan would be a killer on a team like the Clippers/Thunder and these types as like a 4th option type who has good IQ. Outside of him and Fox nothing else has even remotely impressed me.

He reminds me of a bit of Malcolm Brogdan for some reason they were both really old rookies and just understand how to play without relying on athletic ability although Brogdan is clearly at the moment a much better player in a much better environment for him to thrive in.

His strength and defensive skill are a pleasant surprise. He has had some great steals and strips in his first few games. Other players are going to learn to keep an eye on where he is and try not to expose the ball to him.

If you have not noticed he smiles a lot. It is like he is thinking, "dang, I am playing in the NBA and on the floor with Kyrie Irving (or pick any All Star) and he just has this grin plastered on his face. I hope he does not lose it:)

being completely realistic, Bogdan looks promising as a very consistent above average role player. Don't ever see him as a star as some do, but there's plenty of positives to having a good good role player. On our team, he should start though.

He's one of the few players who doesn't really follow the offensive scheme either, he just takes shots when in rhythm and makes things happen more than others.

He’s a competent, experienced B.B. player right now. It’s not clear yet whether he will be one of our leading scorers. I would bet on him.

I'm pleased with what i saw from him so far, and i think (and hope) that he can only get better as he adapts at NBA game and rules. But, he definitely needs to be more active and agressive on the offense.

I agree.

He strikes me as a Ginobilli-like type of player, and I see him having a career to match (in the NBA)
The biggest difference between Ginoboli and Bogdanovic is that Ginoboli is much more athletic. Just look at this explosive dunk yesterday by 40 yearold Ginoboli: https://streamable.com/xt0dz

Look that first step, quickness in change of direction, and explosion off the Euro-step for the monster dunk. I don't even think 25yearold Bogdanovic would be able to do this. Ginoboli is super athletic and he used that calling card a lot more when he was younger. I think if you're expecting Ginoboli, you might be a little disappointed.. right now, Bogdan struggles to create his shot. A part of it is due to his lack of quickness which is something he can't really change.

We just need to be patient with the guy. He's extremely crafty with just about everything he does on the court and he's only played a handful of games. Lets let him get some time under his belt and maybe even an entire offseason to rest since he has basically been playing basketball for a year straight now. He's not going to have the freshest legs out there this season.

I don't expect him to be an all star or anything like that. A SG version of Joe Ingles would suffice for now.

We just need to be patient with the guy. He's extremely crafty with just about everything he does on the court and he's only played a handful of games. Lets let him get some time under his belt and maybe even an entire offseason to rest since he has basically been playing basketball for a year straight now. He's not going to have the freshest legs out there this season.

I don't expect him to be an all star or anything like that. A SG version of Joe Ingles would suffice for now.
Actually longer than that. Remember he played the summer Olympics before the 16-17 Euroleague season. His teams went to the finals in 1) the Olympics 2) the Euroleague 3) Eurobasket and god knows how far in 15 -16 Euroleague season. It’s quite possible the man has been playing or in camp since October 2015!!!

It will be interesting to see how he does with an off season to gain strength and work on aspects of his game instead of being in a team training camp. I wish he had skipped Eurobasket but not his style. Let’s hope he takes a break from Serbia commitments this summer.

Last edited:

Does this mean he has to become a trash talker?:rolleyes:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
his 3 ball hasn't been there and we knew coming into the season that he is a streak shooter, hopefully with lots of repetition he will become a shooter and not just a streaky one in the mold of a JR Smith. Out of the rookies so far, he looks the most comfortable and that's to be expected considering his age and his overseas experience. He is also a better defender than I thought, he uses his big wingspan to knock balls lose all the time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The biggest difference between Ginoboli and Bogdanovic is that Ginoboli is much more athletic. Just look at this explosive dunk yesterday by 40 yearold Ginoboli: https://streamable.com/xt0dz

Look that first step, quickness in change of direction, and explosion off the Euro-step for the monster dunk. I don't even think 25yearold Bogdanovic would be able to do this. Ginoboli is super athletic and he used that calling card a lot more when he was younger. I think if you're expecting Ginoboli, you might be a little disappointed.. right now, Bogdan struggles to create his shot. A part of it is due to his lack of quickness which is something he can't really change.
I haven't seen Bogdanovic struggle one bit to create his own shot. I have no idea what your watching. He has terrific handles and an excellent crossover. The problem isn't that he can't create his own shot. It's that he's not trying to create his own shot. While Bog's isn't an elite athlete, there's nothing wrong with his athleticism, or his shooting. He just needs to take more shots. Right now, I think he's trying too hard to fit in. If you just watch the little things he does, it makes you appreciate him more. He's a very skilled player. Don't know if he'll ever be a star or not. I'm not stupid enough to make that kind of proclamation. But I'm convinced that he'll be a very good NBA player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bogdan Bogdanovic has to be the most non-selfabsorbed talented player to ever don a Kings jersey. (With the possible exception of Peja, although admittedly I don't remember too much of his first year.)

This kid has talent oozing out of every pore. He's got incredible court vision, he's always moving, he always wants to get his teammates involved and he seems to make very few brain fart errors. His shot may not be 100% right now, but it will come. His fundamentals seem very sound.

I wasn't able to watch the whole game tonight, but the parts I caught when Bogs was on the court just seemed to flow better. I counted at least 4 or 5 times when he saw poor spacing and indicated to one player or another where they should be. When he wasn't on the court, the few times I could see him on the bench he looked like he was really studying what was going on out on the court.

He defers too much to the other Kings, but I suspect this may be because he wants to prove himself and earn the respect of the rest of the team. After all, he's the only unknown. Most of the kids, even if they played on different teams, are somewhat familiar with each other.

When @leaderofthehorde really settles in, he's going to prove himself to be one of the best acquisitions Vlade could possibly have made. I'm totally sold.

Last edited:
I don't wanna be the guy who says "I told you", but... checking old post... I am, actually.
Bodgan is not surprising anyone who watched him playing for several years.
A basketball teacher playing among kids. We have to be patient this time.

(if I weren't a Kings fan I'd pissed to watch him play in a poor team, he deserves a contender)

I have always liked Gnobli, but never have thought of him as being really athletic. He is highly skilled which is different. Bogdan is as least as athletic. He plays under control, maybe a little too much, but has great awareness and shows a lot of leadership compared to any of the current Kings' players. I think he can take some more shots, but that will come with time. This guy can run the team, and does everything well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have always liked Gnobli, but never have thought of him as being really athletic. He is highly skilled which is different. Bogdan is as least as athletic. He plays under control, maybe a little too much, but has great awareness and shows a lot of leadership compared to any of the current Kings' players. I think he can take some more shots, but that will come with time. This guy can run the team, and does everything well.
Actually the knock on Ginobli when he first came into the league was the he played out of control too much. He was one of those players that would drive into the lane, leave his feet and have no where to go with the ball. He had a high skill level, but made bad decisions. Two years later under Pop's, and he was a different player. Still very aggressive, but under control. I see similarities with Bogdan, but with the opposite criticism. Bog's plays too much under control, if that's possible. He needs to push the envelope a little bit more.

I don't wanna be the guy who says "I told you", but... checking old post... I am, actually.
Bodgan is not surprising anyone who watched him playing for several years.
A basketball teacher playing among kids. We have to be patient this time.

(if I weren't a Kings fan I'd pissed to watch him play in a poor team, he deserves a contender)
no offense, but Bogdan doesn't deserve anything. ALL players go through the process of the draft. Bogdan is no exception just because he's 25 or was a star in Europe. You have to remember.. he also refused to come over for 2 years straight with the Suns. He ended up waiting until his rookie scale expired so he could get a more luxurious contract. That's on him and his agent, not the Suns nor Kings.

Bogdan shouldn't be entitled to anything because everyone in the NBA goes through the process. The notion that he deserves to play on a winning team is silly. With Cousins, I'd understand that argument because he spent 6 years of his career on a team that only reached 30 wins once. Bogdan? He's 9 games into his rookie year. I'm sure Bogdan is more than happy to play for the Kings though, let alone the NBA. He's getting a good opportunity here to take over and lead a young team.