Horford Opting out?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I heard this morning on one of the basketball shows that Horford wants a 4-year deal. No way in hell I want to pay him big $$$ at age 35 and 36. That's the definition of cap hell. Just when the Kings should be really taking off they would be hindered by the cap and have a main cog on the downhill slide with a much higher probability of injury. Horford is the guy you roll the dice on when you're a piece away from a championship, not a young, developing team.

As I said earlier in the thread, Horford just barely turned 33. Which means he’ll just barely turn 36 before year 4 starts.

36 isn’t that big a deal for a BIG nor in this day and age of athletics and sports medicine. It just isn’t.

Some of you are overreacting to his age. He’s still a very good player and leader and should be the next few seasons too.

There is no certainty in that espn report. If your read it carefully its speculation.

Hell when Hordord called off contract talks with Celtics believing there is a team that will offer him 4 years $112m, I asked at the time if it was the Kings as it had that feel to it.

I like Al for a long number of reasons but dislike the long term deal at that money simply due to his age. In terms of actual game, he js as perfect fit as you could hope to get. Does a bit of everything without doing anything at a spectacular level. Just a darn solid player with huge intangibles. Similar to Harrison Barnes but at a higher level.

Horford is probably being a wuss and only talking to contenders. The NBA is one of the few instances where the workers (the actual players) should have less control. We are literally still in a playoff drought because of how hard it is to convince high quality, proven players to come here. Seems like we wiff on our #1 target in free agency every year, and not for a lack of effort. Meanwhile, the 7akers get to run their team like a bunch of clowns and are rewarded for their incompetence; This is my least favorite thing about the NBA.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Horford is probably being a wuss and only talking to contenders. The NBA is one of the few instances where the workers (the actual players) should have less control. We are literally still in a playoff drought because of how hard it is to convince high quality, proven players to come here. Seems like we wiff on our #1 target in free agency every year, and not for a lack of effort. Meanwhile, the 7akers get to run their team like a bunch of clowns and are rewarded for their incompetence; This is my least favorite thing about the NBA.
Or not contender NOLA, because he started following Zion and Jrue on Instagram.

This time of year always makes me wish Sacramento had anything but an NBA team. It’s the only league that turns into a civic glamor contest every offseason. No Green Bay or Buffalo fan is worried there aren’t enough nightclubs to suit their free agent targets. It’s essentially league sanctioned too, given the semi-formal involvement of league partners (shoe companies, AEG, etc.) in these Lakers free agent presentations.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I find it odd that it seems as though kings and Dedmon have agreed on a number and both are interested. Then we are still going to off AL a massive deal right as things begin. Maybe we are gonna be really deep in the front court. Possibly why not front court players were drafted.
Bagley/Giles/belli
Horford/Dedmon/Giles

Maybe trade Bjelica for a backup SF

I find it odd that it seems as though kings and Dedmon have agreed on a number and both are interested. Then we are still going to off AL a massive deal right as things begin. Maybe we are gonna be really deep in the front court. Possibly why not front court players were drafted.
Bagley/Giles/belli
Horford/Dedmon/Giles

I totally agree - why not get both Horford and Dedmon. Makes all the sense in the world to me. Would make our team very very good

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bagley/Giles/belli
Horford/Dedmon/Giles

Can’t really put all your hopes in the max guy choosing Sacramento... It’s good to have multiple options in case something falls through.

j
Bagley/Giles/belli
Horford/Dedmon/Giles

Didn't Bjelica play some SF before he came here?

All 5 bigs play their natural position
All 6 guards play their natural position

Only out of Position is both backup SF
But if they both can shoot - who cares

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogi,Guy
Barnes,Bjelica,James
Marvin,Giles,Swanigan
Al,Dedmon

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Didn't Belicia play some SF before he came here?

All 4 bigs play their natural position

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogi,Guy
Barnes,Belicia,James
Marvin,Giles,Swanigan
Al,Dedmon,Swanigan
0% Bjelica in his current state can play any small forward. Dude was nearly as un-nimble as Kosta Koufos last year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Didn't Belicia play some SF before he came here?

All 4 bigs play their natural position

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogi,Guy
Barnes,Belicia,James
Marvin,Giles,Swanigan
Al,Dedmon,Swanigan
He can't guard a lot of 4s, much less 3s. I'd like to see an upgrade through a trade.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I will be honest. I’m a little apprehensive about signing Horford long term. I was skeptical of Dedmons talent level. I’m all over the place right now.

please no. this guy wouldn't give us the time of day until now because he knows we're the only team who's desperate enough to give him a massive overpay. HE'S 33 YEARS OLD!!! We're about to pay him like a top 15 player and it's going to turn out to be a horrendous contract. If him signing here would put the Kings over the playoff line, it would be worth it. But does he guarantee it? NO!!!

What happens if he declines this year? We would have the worst contract in the NBA at our hands. There is so many ways this could go bad. I'm sorry, but Vlade has been so damn trigger happy in FA to the point where he's willing to offer any remote average player big money. Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Ryan Anderson, etc. His best basketball days are behind him. Look at Carmelo Anthony for a cautionary tale! Did anyone expect his career to take a sharp dramatic inline? No.

At 32 years old Carmelo Anthony averaged 22.4pts 5.9rebs 2.9asts on 43.3/35.9/83.3
At 33 years old Carmelo Anthony averaged 16.2pts 5.8rebs 1.3asts on 40.4/35.7/76.7
At 34 years old, Carmelo is out of the league. He eventually played 10 games with the Rockets averaging 13.4pts 5.4rebs 0.5asts on 40.5/32.8/68.2, but they cut him soon after.

This is a high risk signing if it happens. Yeah, we all like Horfords game and fit. But he is essentially a very high level role player coming towards the end of his career. His production does not warrant a massive contract. I know he will be a good influence in the locker room, but his production is set to decline from here on out.

I will give Vlade the benefit of the doubt if this happens. But I definitely don't view Vlade in the same light as many here. I'm still not sure that I actually trust him.

I suppose it will have to be a case of "wait and see".

please no. this guy wouldn't give us the time of day until now because he knows we're the only team who's desperate enough to give him a massive overpay. HE'S 33 YEARS OLD!!! We're about to pay him like a top 15 player and it's going to turn out to be a horrendous contract. If him signing here would put the Kings over the playoff line, it would be worth it. But does he guarantee it? NO!!!

What happens if he declines this year? We would have the worst contract in the NBA at our hands. There is so many ways this could go bad. I'm sorry, but Vlade has been so damn trigger happy in FA to the point where he's willing to offer any remote average player big money. Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Ryan Anderson, etc. His best basketball days are behind him. Look at Carmelo Anthony for a cautionary tale! Did anyone expect his career to take a sharp dramatic inline? No.

At 32 years old Carmelo Anthony averaged 22.4pts 5.9rebs 2.9asts on 43.3/35.9/83.3
At 33 years old Carmelo Anthony averaged 16.2pts 5.8rebs 1.3asts on 40.4/35.7/76.7
At 34 years old, Carmelo is out of the league. He eventually played 10 games with the Rockets averaging 13.4pts 5.4rebs 0.5asts on 40.5/32.8/68.2, but they cut him soon after.
Agree 100%

DON'T offer a huge deal to Hortford! No upside, tons of downside risk.

Spend that money on Dedmon and someone like Bryant. Hell go get Gasol if you really want someone like Hortford. Just dont offer more than 2 years to a 33 year old Hortford. Huge mistake.

Then pursue a top flight option for the bench.