HG shut down.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Considering it was his first real competitive stint of basketball ever (as in the first time where he wasn't just automatically better than anyone) and his first real season of action post-knee reconstructions, there's really no reason to push him too hard, especially with the playoffs out of reach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While I understand the temptation to read more into this than what is there, I don't think they're hiding a more significant injury. I agree with Tetsujin that there's no reason to push Giles any further this year. He's had his taste of the NBA, he now knows what to work on this summer, and I think he's gonna be impressive right from the gate come next season. I also think sitting him out MAY (just may) be a way to put more pressure on WCS to close out the year strong (either to keep him here or showcase him for a trade this summer).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
While I understand the temptation to read more into this than what is there, I don't think they're hiding a more significant injury. I agree with Tetsujin that there's no reason to push Giles any further this year. He's had his taste of the NBA, he now knows what to work on this summer, and I think he's gonna be impressive right from the gate come next season. I also think sitting him out MAY (just may) be a way to put more pressure on WCS to close out the year strong (either to keep him here or showcase him for a trade this summer).
If anything, we should be happy because him sitting out these games just raises the chances that we see HG come back to dominate the California Classic this summer.

I'm not into the conspiracy theory here. But I disagree with the "safe approach" that shuts him down due to a thigh bruise. Come on. He sat out all of last year, working on his strength and conditioning. He hasn't had any injuries of note this year (with what little he's played). He's barely gotten a taste of the NBA. If he's injured, he's injured. It's that simple. He doesn't play until he's no longer injured. If that holds through the remaining games, fine. But shutting him down as a precaution is not fair to Harry, not fair to his teammates, and not fair to the fans. If he's that fragile, we should restrict him to 10 min/game and no back to backs. Maybe no road trips, either, since that increases the risk of injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not into the conspiracy theory here. But I disagree with the "safe approach" that shuts him down due to a thigh bruise. Come on. He sat out all of last year, working on his strength and conditioning. He hasn't had any injuries of note this year (with what little he's played). He's barely gotten a taste of the NBA. If he's injured, he's injured. It's that simple. He doesn't play until he's no longer injured. If that holds through the remaining games, fine. But shutting him down as a precaution is not fair to Harry, not fair to his teammates, and not fair to the fans. If he's that fragile, we should restrict him to 10 min/game and no back to backs. Maybe no road trips, either, since that increases the risk of injury.
While I understand what you're saying, I just don't have the passion to argue this kind of stuff at this point. You think it's not fair. I disagree. Life goes on. ;)

If I'm going to read into it at all I would guess that it is the Kings want to avoid any other potential injuries to Giles that could be incurred by playing with a partially healed thigh contusion. Just a guess. This is also a sign that the Kings value him quite a bit.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it's garbage. I feel cheated as fan. If the guy has the injury that they say he has - a muscular contusion - he could be okee-dokee tomorrow and play fine and dandy. Unless there's some super duper muscular contusion medical ressonance predictor machine out there they can't possibly know when this injury will heal, unless they have a direct communique from God. He needs all the playing experience he can get. He didn't get enough playing time this year as it is. Absolute garbage. This league is becoming so dandified it makes me sick. It's a CYA coddler league now. You know the sure fire way that your player can never get injured while playing? Don't play him - ever. Guaranteed he won't get injured. Now there's a plan! Does that make me qualified to join your brilliant medical staff, Kings? Then your risk-averse, err, cowardly medical staff can sleep well at night knowing that nobody but nobody can ever blame them for a future injury.

I think it's garbage. I feel cheated as fan. If the guy has the injury that they say he has - a muscular contusion - he could be okee-dokee tomorrow and play fine and dandy. Unless there's some super duper muscular contusion medical ressonance predictor machine out there they can't possibly know when this injury will heal, unless they have a direct communique from God. He needs all the playing experience he can get. He didn't get enough playing time this year as it is. Absolute garbage. This league is becoming so dandified it makes me sick. It's a CYA coddler league now. You know the sure fire way that your player can never get injured while playing? Don't play him - ever. Guaranteed he won't get injured. Now there's a plan! Does that make me qualified to join your brilliant medical staff, Kings? Then your risk-averse, err, cowardly medical staff can sleep well at night knowing that nobody but nobody can ever blame them for a future injury.
I mean...this is admitting that Harry is an injury risk. Tell me something new.

I don't blame the FO for sitting him. The next few games are pretty worthless because it's kinda obvious the team has given up since the ASB. No reason to risk any type of freak injury with Harry. I still don't think he's a C-Webb talent, but he is a young player with a significant injury history.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I mean...this is admitting that Harry is an injury risk. Tell me something new.

I don't blame the FO for sitting him. The next few games are pretty worthless because it's kinda obvious the team has given up since the ASB. No reason to risk any type of freak injury with Harry. I still don't think he's a C-Webb talent, but he is a young player with a significant injury history.
It's absolutely not worthless. It's critical for him to get playing time against real competition, and it's important to win every game they can.

This league is ridiculous. LBJ, the icon of the entire league, who is shut down in L.A. is another example where the integrity of the league is falling apart. Apparently, if you're not in a playoff race you can shut anybody down. Why don't we shut Fox down? He could get injured. Why don't we shut Bagley down? Not only is it disgraceful on it's face, it send a terrible message on anti-toughness to your team. Hey team, you've got to play tough, get through those screens, play through your tiredness and your aches and pains; oh, I forgot, we've got to shut you down instead; wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable or anything.

I feel like this message board is just a bunch of extremes right now. I can't fathom why anyone would possibly upset with Giles missing the last couple games of the year to be safe considering his journey to this point. He wasn't ready to play last night, so why try to push to get him healed to play 2-3 games when you have G-Leaguers out there trying to make there mark and could possibly hurt him further with reckless play.

We are going to win somewhere between 39-41 games this year which is 14-16 more than literally everyone predicted not name Hammer.

I feel like this message board is just a bunch of extremes right now. I can't fathom why anyone would possibly upset with Giles missing the last couple games of the year to be safe considering his journey to this point. He wasn't ready to play last night, so why try to push to get him healed to play 2-3 games when you have G-Leaguers out there trying to make there mark and could possibly hurt him further with reckless play.

We are going to win somewhere between 39-41 games this year which is 14-16 more than literally everyone predicted not name Hammer.
Speaking of Hammer.. where as he been?? Some people could use his optimism

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Nobody is pushing him! If feels good, play. If it's still sore don't. Get it?

I've more or less checked out on this season and I never thought he was coming back anyway so this news isn't news to me. I don't necessarily like shutting players down, but I can understand it as disappointing as it is.