Hawes vs. Thompson

I don't know who is going to be better in 5 years - I don't even know who will be better in 2008-09. I do know that Thompson can play more positions under certain match-ups (3,4,5) than Hawes (5 and maybe 4). Jason has the potential to be the kind of match-up nightmare that Spencer is less likely to offer. So, it would appear at two years older than Spencer and with 4 years of college ball (vs one for Spence) Jason may be off to a better and more productive NBA start.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They'll hopefully be the front court of our dreams. Since they don't play the same position it's not a matter of which one is better. The important thing is can they play well TOGETHER.

i didn't like the hawes pick last year but i think he's going to be solid for us the next few years. our version of the twin towers is going to be fun to watch these upcoming years. :D back to the topic of the thread.. i think thompson will be better.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes has obvious skills in the post and with his passing and he is a good shooter. Thompson also skilled at shooting has speed, athleticism, versatility and he to is a nice post player. As far as who will be better. It depends on what you call better. More pts. more reb more ast?????? Hawes will lead in pts and ast where Thompson will lead in reb and blks and the better defender. Which do you say is better of that?

Thompson has a skill that no PF has had in a while. Don't shoot me for this but, the ONLY other PF playing in the league right now that has been able to play 3,4,5 is KG. In fact KG came into the league as a SF. I am not saying Thompson is the next KG. But in the same breath I can't ignore the similarities without saying hmmmmmmmmm.

I can't help but think how well Thompson, Hawes, and Garcia are suited to the Princeton Offense. Beno is also apt enough as a catch-and-shooter, although his ability to penetrate might be wasted to some extent. Kevin Martin can thrive in pretty much any offensive system.

A

AriesMar27

i would say hawes would be better in the long run with the lack of true centers in the league... he can actually play in the post and is pretty quick for a unathletic player... he could be the type of player that would crush small uptempo teams.... he's the white tim duncan...

Entity

Hall of Famer
we still run a variation of it with Brad Miller at the elbow and the offense running through him at times. With Hawes and Thompson both being good passers it could be seen a little more often once they mature.

A

AriesMar27

hawes could be just as big for us as bynum is for the lakers... thompson could be really good too but i havent seen enough of him to make a comparisson.... i dont know if he's the next kg or next shelden williams....

hawes' game is based solely on skill, he has nearly every post move at his disposal... he could play forever and still be effective, kind of like vlade minus the chain smoking. from what i hear thompson doesnt have much of a low post game and i dont know how much of his game is based on athleticism.... so i have no idea how high of a ceiling he has...

Way too earlier to tell, but if I had to guess I'd say JT. He really impressed me during summer league and really seems to have close to the complete package, it's just matter of refining it.

I'm with VF. I don't care who's "better." I just hope they are both really good and that they play even better together, complementing each other's skill sets.

Way too earlier to tell, but if I had to guess I'd say JT. He really impressed me during summer league and really seems to have close to the complete package, it's just matter of refining it.
Agree 100%. I am more excited about JT for the simple fact that he is a more versatile player. BUT, the question remains on whether he can compete and play well on a game by game basis when the actual regular season starts.

Last edited: