Has the play of Rondo made Darren Collison dispensible?

Seems like Darren should be back on the court tomorrow, reported by CBS sports and Sac Bee, but is it really as much of a blessing to this roster as it seems? Rajon Rondo has had three triple doubles within the past week or so, and has been playing at least 43 minutes a game while DC has been out. We have seen Rondo elevate his game when given the reigns to run this team for a full 40+ minutes. Even when he is not scoring, he does so many other things out on the floor. I would like to see fewer minutes for DC as I would hate to interrupt the flow and groove that Rondo seems to be in right now. Is anybody else nervous about how his return may effect Rondo?

We also need DC at the 2 to provide a scoring spark when Ben and Marco are struggling, which has been somewhat often in the first 11 games. I think the better question is how will the minutes be divided between Rondo, DC, Marco, Seth, and Ben. James Anderson appears to be the man on the way out of the rotation.

Collison turns a decent bench into a great bench. He's a two way player who can both attack the rim and spread the floor, can play both guard spots, and is perfect for Karl's system. He's a huge piece off the bench and far from expendable.
Agreed. But arent you at least a bit concerned with how it may effect Rondo? Rajon has shown to be much more impactful and effective with the more minutes he has given. Sure, Collison is more of an offensive weapon and can play both spots, but Rajons impact exceeds any box score stats.

Agreed. But arent you at least a bit concerned with how it may effect Rondo? Rajon has shown to be much more impactful and effective with the more minutes he has given. Sure, Collison is more of an offensive weapon and can play both spots, but Rajons impact exceeds any box score stats.
There's no reason Collison and Rondo can't play together, they just need to get some time on the court together. If you ask me, Karl made a big mistake by not getting the two any time together in training camp because now they're behind the curve learning eachothers' game.

Rondo should still be playing 35 minutes a night, which should give him some extra energy to spend defensively. Collison should get 30+, a lot of them will be next to Rondo.

Why would you want to get rid of one of our best shooters and one of the best backup PG's in the league? Rondo can't sustain the minutes he's playing all season long.

The one good thing that's come out of Collison's injury is it looks like Rondo has quickly built up chemistry with the team that most likely isn't going to go away once he's back to playing 30 minutes or so.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jesus.

Every single time we threaten to have actual depth, to have extra capacity, somebody immediately wants us to go off and dump it. Back in the day people would have been encouraging us to dump the bench mob, hey, who need BJax, or Pollard, or Hedo.

As this most recent episode has shown, depth is great. having a great bench is great. Now I will agree as far as not letting Collison neuter Rondo. This spell of play has decisively answred the PG question, and DC has to play 10-15 minutes behind Rondo, not in place of him, not platooning with him. And then we should be seeing a lot of Rondo/DC twin PG sets.

Seems like Darren should be back on the court tomorrow, reported by CBS sports and Sac Bee, but is it really as much of a blessing to this roster as it seems? Rajon Rondo has had three triple doubles within the past week or so, and has been playing at least 43 minutes a game while DC has been out. We have seen Rondo elevate his game when given the reigns to run this team for a full 40+ minutes. Even when he is not scoring, he does so many other things out on the floor. I would like to see fewer minutes for DC as I would hate to interrupt the flow and groove that Rondo seems to be in right now. Is anybody else nervous about how his return may effect Rondo?

Yes, I'm a little nervous but what a wonderful problem to have. I'm looking forward to seeing them both back on the floor and getting minutes.

I think a DC, Marco, Omri, Acy, Koufos
has the size (Koufos), Defense (Acy)
and 3 Fast shooters that could play that fast pace

While the 1st unit can play slower, DMC and Gay with Rondo setting them up
Ben and WCS on defense

Would like to see a regular rotation get established that can
really gel as two units

no More Rudy at the 4 please
no more Anderson and Seth should be back on the bench
No more player rotations every 2 min
No more small ball

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Jesus.

Every single time we threaten to have actual depth, to have extra capacity, somebody immediately wants us to go off and dump it. Back in the day people would have been encouraging us to dump the bench mob, hey, who need BJax, or Pollard, or Hedo.
What do you mean, would have?

In my perception, although both of them are playing as point guards they are on a whole other inlay when it comes to their playing style on the court, Rondo's job is to be a second leader on the court alongside DeMarcus Cousins and feed the ball to his teammates in order to make them look better and in order to make this team better, when Rondo scores it's a huge plus, but let's face it is not what we are expecting from him.

When it comes to Collison, having him back can only increase our bench's impact on the game, because Collison gives us another decent scoring option and makes our game more varied on the floor, when it comes to Collison the necessity of his scoring is essential while the necessity of him passing the ball is a very respectable bonus for our team, this is also the reason why putting them both together on the court on the same time alongside each other might work very well for our team.

So therefore, I don't believe that Collison will be in the shadows of Rondo and I don't believe that Rondo will be furious if his assist averages will slightly decrease from 13.5 assists per game in the time Collison was absent.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No. What could you possibly trade him for that would be of more value to us? Curry is not remotely ready to be the backup PG, and the point of having a good bench is to have a good bench. If we traded Collison we give ourselves a big hole at backup PG, and we currently don't have any big holes in our second unit when healthy. Why create a problem and force Rondo to play huge minutes?

Jesus.

As this most recent episode has shown, depth is great. having a great bench is great. Now I will agree as far as not letting Collison neuter Rondo. This spell of play has decisively answred the PG question, and DC has to play 10-15 minutes behind Rondo, not in place of him, not platooning with him. And then we should be seeing a lot of Rondo/DC twin PG sets.
Simple, clear and punctual as always, Bricklayer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
expendable? don't you like having depth? only problem I have with DC is his injury history the last two seasons...he needs to stay on the court.

DC is very valuable to the Kings, especially with Rondo's injury history.

Now, all we need is for DC to get and stay healthy.

DC getting hurt may be the best thing to happen to the Kings. It allowed Rondo to establish himself as the leader of the team and helped speed up the learning curve for he and DMC.

That being said, Rondo can not keep up with these 40+ min/gm he's been logging.

DC is a valuable to take about 15 min/game at backup PG and 15 min/game as backup SG, about 28-30 min/game.

When the Kings get to full strength, I think the Kings will be competing for that #7-8 playoff spot! :cool: