HARRY GILES (merged)

I LOVE everything about this guy!

Athletically gifted. Fluid. Size. Length. Speed. Ceribrial. Self awareness. Well spoken. Vocal on the court. DEFENSE. Intensity. Active. Intangibles. Good teammate. Post game. Three point shot. Passing. Trash talk. Won’t back down. Humbled. Maturity. Loves Sac.

These are all traits I’ve seen and heard from him this summer. Praying for good health for this kid. With it, I really can’t imagine him at a minimum not being a solid contributor for the team for many years. When Bogi had the comment about him being a more athletic Draymond, I was honestly a little embarrassed for Bogi. It seemed like a stupid thing to say, but I totally see that now. I don’t want to feed the hype too much but for comparison purposes I see much more KG than CWebb in his game (I’ll take either).

With all this said, you can really see the benefit of him red-shirting last year. He seems much more in tune with the pace of the game and expectations on the court than a typical rookie. Man I’m excited....just think he still has a few more months to work on his game after the SL experience.

From what I can see it looks like hes holding back in terms of being explosive. I think this upcoming season will be more to gain experience and make sure his knee holds up. IOW's we wont see his full physical poential until his sophomore season. In my couch chair GM's opinion, I would limit his minutes a little bit and not play him back to back in the regular season until after the all star break

Wow... you guys are much more optimistic than I thought...

In true Kings fan fashion, it'll probably take me half a season of sample size before I will truly be convinced that we got a good thing on our hands.
Fair enough. I too think it's too early to judge.

That said, I do love the fact that he has a chip on his shoulder, and a bit of nasty in him. Not sure if it was at one of the games in Sacramento, or Vegas, but the commentators said that his attitude might change the DNA of the team a bit. I think that itself will be a huge huge improvement if it happens.

Last edited:
From what I can see it looks like hes holding back in terms of being explosive. I think this upcoming season will be more to gain experience and make sure his knee holds up. IOW's we wont see his full physical poential until his sophomore season. In my couch chair GM's opinion, I would limit his minutes a little bit and not play him back to back in the regular season until after the all star break
Given the number of players we have for the 4-5 position, all of whom need and deserve minutes (maybe not ZBo, but he'll get them anyway), I would be very surprised if he gets lot of court time in the beginning. In fact, it might not be a bad idea to rotate him/Bagley and Skal to G league from time to time for short stints to get them regular minutes.

Say this with a touch of selfishness too. I live in Tracy, and would get an opportunity to watch them in Stockton :)

Given the number of players we have for the 4-5 position, all of whom need and deserve minutes (maybe not ZBo, but he'll get them anyway), I would be very surprised if he gets lot of court time in the beginning. In fact, it might not be a bad idea to rotate him/Bagley and Skal to G league from time to time for short stints to get them regular minutes.

Say this with a touch of selfishness too. I live in Tracy, and would get an opportunity to watch them in Stockton :)
Blah. As much as I would love for you to see some nice players in Stockton.... I hope not :cool:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Sure, but ZBO is an absolute master at using his body for positioning, angles, and patience to score. He has negative athleticism, but still manages to be an average offensive player. I'd gladly take his offensive knowledge in 2 bodies that can jump 40 " off the ground
Like I said, they both can learn some things from him. They can also learn from their coaches and from other mentors as well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think a lot of credit goes to Giles for his diligence and hard work in his strength training and in improving his game over this past year. Also, I give Kings' management credit in keeping him out for an entire year and working with him diligently to get stronger. They opted for the longer route, not for immediate satisfaction. It obviously has paid off. Though Bagley is not going to take next year off to get stronger, I fully expect he's going to have the same dedication to get stronger and to getting better over this next year. Things are looking up.

When he plays with Bogi he will be even better
This is what I’m most excited about seeing. That first glimpse of the Fox-Bags-Giles line up looked so promising, you add a playmaking wiz in Bogie to take some pressure off of Fox in the half court, and you have a knockdown shooter like Buddy constantly moving, and this has the potential to be the most fun team we’ve had here in easily the last decade plus.

What I find compelling about Giles is his combination of physicality and mobility. Usually there is a tradeoff there. Mobile bigs like Anthony Davis are not the most physical. A physical player like Steven Adams is not the most mobile. Giles rates relatively high on physicality AND mobility! A big with both traits in abundance is going to stuff the box score. He seems to be relatively physical too without committing fouls. I also like how he plays 3/4 on the post. He just doesn't allow the entry pass. He denies and does his work early. He also shows good awareness to help from the weak side. These are all the little things Willie and Skal do NOT do. His jumper is flat but he seems to work for him. Still looking for that first dunk however! As the legend Bill Walton would say....."Throw it down big fellow throw it down" . :p

Honestly what I love so much about Giles defensively is how active he is. He moves, and quickly. The person he is guarding rarely gets better position than him because he fights. Not sure if it so much physical than mental and motor driven, but either way you have to love his activity and mobility.

I dont think his jumper is too flat, I think he is just so tall with long arms and his release point is so high (absolutely amazing for future success as a big man as like Skal it will be hard to block) that it comes off looking more heat seaker like.but unlike a true line drive, it lands pretty softly.
I agree about the jumper cause if thats considered flat then what was Tmac's shot haha

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I started a new thread about him. :p I didn't bother to wait until the end of the game. He already earned the "any questions" for tonight.