Grades v. Suns 11/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
LjuboDaMan said:
i read VF21's pbp thread and she said Kings ignored Peja in 4th ... and Bibby not passing to open Peja
Could of been seeing things out 1 or 2 of those times. I remember that though.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Things are looking up. I am noticing some new plays being integrated here and there. One of which is finding Brad for the corner 3. I like that one for sure. Also noticed the spacing was MUCH better. Reef continuously got double teamed but this time he was able to find a wide open jumpshooter.

Now we have to get our bench some chemistry. I am sure Adelman will do what he feels will best help the team.

Good win for the team --- it certainly needed this win, and dropping this game with a lead going into the 4th quarter against an Amare-less Suns team would have hurt badly.

Will be interesting to see if the offensive confidence is enough to help the Kings continue the roll against Detroit. PHX plays no defense (other than Marion and Bell; I don't consider Thomas to be a premier PF defender as he doesn't have the size), and Detroit plays crushing defense, but if the Kings' shooters have regained some of that confidence in this win, it might not matter as much how well Detroit is playing defense. Bonzi should be able to exploit Hamilton in the post on size alone, and hopefully get Big Ben off of Brad at the top of the key for open jumpers. I'd be surprised if Shareef has as much success in the post against either Wallace as he did against Kurt Thomas.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Actually Kurt Thomas is one of the better post defenders in the league. Thats one of the main reasons that the Suns traded for him, along with his rebounding skill. The Pistons of course are a different story entirely.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings113 said:
Could of been seeing things out 1 or 2 of those times. I remember that though.
I do think I have to revise my comment. At the top of the 4th, the Suns really started keying on Peja. Any time the Kings looked even remotely in his direction, he was smothered. To Peja's credit, he kept moving and trying to get free but mostly with no success.

Of the two times I mentioned, the first one happened when Peja was alone on the left corner with at least three Suns between him and Bibby on the right elbow. It's quite possible Bibby didn't see him.

The second time might have well been the camera angle leading me to believe Peja was more open than he actually was. Grant is usually very quick to point those things out and since he didn't say anything, I might well have been mistaken.

It was a good TEAM game tonight and I certainly don't want to give the mistaken impression that there was any kind of intentional snubbing going on, because that wasn't the case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacTownKid said:
Things are looking up. I am noticing some new plays being integrated here and there. One of which is finding Brad for the corner 3. I like that one for sure. Also noticed the spacing was MUCH better. Reef continuously got double teamed but this time he was able to find a wide open jumpshooter.

Now we have to get our bench some chemistry. I am sure Adelman will do what he feels will best help the team.
I either read or heard somewhere that they worked very hard on spacing the last couple of days. I think the effort they put into it was well worth it.

VF21 said:
I do think I have to revise my comment. At the top of the 4th, the Suns really started keying on Peja. Any time the Kings looked even remotely in his direction, he was smothered. To Peja's credit, he kept moving and trying to get free but mostly with no success.

Of the two times I mentioned, the first one happened when Peja was alone on the left corner with at least three Suns between him and Bibby on the right elbow. It's quite possible Bibby didn't see him.

The second time might have well been the camera angle leading me to believe Peja was more open than he actually was. Grant is usually very quick to point those things out and since he didn't say anything, I might well have been mistaken.

It was a good TEAM game tonight and I certainly don't want to give the mistaken impression that there was any kind of intentional snubbing going on, because that wasn't the case.
I got ya.

At the top of the 4th, the Suns really started keying on Peja. Any time the Kings looked even remotely in his direction, he was smothered. To Peja's credit, he kept moving and trying to get free but mostly with no success.
I remember that now, yes.

I have to say, eventhough it's still early, Reef is looking more and more like the leader of this newly assembled team.

The Suns for the second consecutive season helped us from digging a huge hole early in the standings. Let's build on this win now.

Way to get a win tonight guys.

KingKong said:
I have to say, eventhough it's still early, Reef is looking more and more like the leader of this newly assembled team.
i have no idea how the "leader" thing is gonna pan out, but reef is in the unique situation of having something to prove. he's been a good ball player on bad teams for a lotta years. this year, he's gonna be a good ball player on a good team. peja, mike, and brad are the "big 3," the mainstays...they have the unfortunate gift of complacency. hopefully reef's fire will help set a tone. it certainly did tonight.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Shareef...(A)...Reef is becoming a steady presence, something the Kings really need. His all around steady good play gets an A from me.

Bonzi...(B+)...Although Bonzi had a great game with hustle and rebounding, he took a couple off ill advised shots. There were times he just didn't seem to be thinking.

Mike...(B)...A huge improvement for Mike Bibby. He played fearless and well in the 1st half, actually kept us in the game. A 2nd half like the 1st would have earned an A, but a couple of boneheaded turnovers kept him down a little overall.

Brad...(A-)...We got a lot from Brad tonight. His steady play with rebounding, passing, and shooting when necessary really helps his teammates to get their game going.

Peja...(B-)...Gave Peja a B only because he singlehandedly got the Kings back into the game in the 3rd Qtr. He got a couple of early rebounds, then stopped giving any effort. Fortunately, we did not need anything from him down the stretch. He just couldn't get himself free in the 4th.

Bench.....(C)...The bench didn't get many minutes, mostly because they were not effective. Actually, they may have gotten more minutes than I realize. If they did, that is proof of their ineffectivness.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
6th said:
Peja...(B-)...Gave Peja a B only because he singlehandedly got the Kings back into the game in the 3rd Qtr. He got a couple of early rebounds, then stopped giving any effort. Fortunately, we did not need anything from him down the stretch. He just couldn't get himself free in the 4th.
I think that's a little tough, 6th. He didn't really stop giving effort. I'm watching the game again, and if anything, I think Peja just started to run out of gas because, with Garcia in the locker room, they just couldn't give him much time to rest because we had NOTHING else capable of offense to put in his place.

SacTownKid said:
Actually Kurt Thomas is one of the better post defenders in the league. Thats one of the main reasons that the Suns traded for him, along with his rebounding skill. The Pistons of course are a different story entirely.
Kurt Thomas wouldn't be in my top 5 choices (and my guess would actually be top 10 if I took some time to think about it) of post defenders if I was a coach and needed to stop an opposing guy's best post player. Yes, he's serviceable, and he actually puts effort into defense, but he's never had the size or athleticism to have a legitimate defensive effect on any premier player's post game, imho.

Of course, in PHX he's their best defensive player b/c Amare is still learning how to play offense and doesn't care enough about defense. Kurt is similar to Brad Miller in that regard --- gets a lot out of what he talent he does have, but compared to other guys in the league, doesn't really have a lot of talent. I have a ton of respect for guys like that who are able to succeed in the NBA and, in some cases, succeed at a very high level.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
I think that's a little tough, 6th. He didn't really stop giving effort. I'm watching the game again, and if anything, I think Peja just started to run out of gas because, with Garcia in the locker room, they just couldn't give him much time to rest because we had NOTHING else capable of offense to put in his place.
True. I think in my hurry to be concise, I was misleading. The effort was about rebounding after the 1st qtr. No doubt he had to be tired by the 4th, which is why Adelman rested him for a bit. Unfortunately, as is often the case, he lost his shot, and was never able to get himself open the way he had in the 3rd qtr.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
Career long pattern with Peja. I mean HOW many times have we seen EXACTLY the same explode-in-the-third disappear-in-the-4th pattern. its beyond just an M.O., its practically a defining trait. You almost just have to laugh after a while.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Career long pattern with Peja. I mean HOW many times have we seen EXACTLY the same explode-in-the-third disappear-in-the-4th pattern. its beyond just an M.O., its practically a defining trait. You almost just have to laugh after a while.
ONE thing I have always noticed is the worst possible thing you can do when Peja gets hot is let him rest. If he's hot in the first half, you can pretty much bank on him going to hell in the second. If he's hot in the third quarter, you're in a crap shoot about the 4th. Putting him on the bench for even a couple of minutes rest is like sending him to the showers.

In fact, if you recall, I even made it VF21's First Rule of Kings Basketball a couple of years back. The rule said: Peja Stojakovic will play a maximum of one good half of basketball. You pretty much ride him until his legs fall off or the game ends.

Last edited:
What a game!! And tonight, you could certainly see the potential for this team. All the talk about Reef at the end of the game (and he WAS great), I just want to say I loved the charge Brad stepped in and took against Marion. That also helped save this game for the Kings in crunch time. Way to go Brad.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Čarolija said:
Finally the team clicks and we score bucketloads :D

Now the REAL test is backing it up next game :)
As I mentioned in another thread, if we could not score against Phoenix we WERE in trouble. Was nice to get our and stretch our offensive legs, but somehow I don't see us scoring 118 on the Pistons. Or 108. Maybe 98 if we really catch them napping, but even that will be tough. So it won't be in the numbers vs. Detroit. Just be looking for us to get decent execution, especially down the stretch if we can keep it close.

I like that Bonzi has found a role on the team and that it doesn't involve scoring all the points. He's been doing a lot of Bobby jackson type stuff in the past couple of games.

Bricklayer said:
As I mentioned in another thread, if we could not score against Phoenix we WERE in trouble. Was nice to get our and stretch our offensive legs, but somehow I don't see us scoring 118 on the Pistons. Or 108. Maybe 98 if we really catch them napping, but even that will be tough. So it won't be in the numbers vs. Detroit. Just be looking for us to get decent execution, especially down the stretch if we can keep it close.
Maybe I should have been a bit clearler with the second part of my post.

When I said "Now the REAL test is backing it up next game" was to do with us playing a good game of basketball and end up with another W, rather than scoring a lot of points on them. I don't expect us to drop 118 on quite a few teams this season, least of all Detroit.

I want us to continue to improve and play like a real, unselfish team and walk away with a win. Whether we score 120 or 65 is irrelevant IMHO as long as we play well as a team and win the game.

This next game is a real test for our front court and Bonzi as well. Brad and Shareef come up agains the Wallaces and Bonzi will no doubt find it tougher both on offence and on the glass with those 2 blokes hanging around the paint.

Coming up to Detriot, this is another gamer I would pound the paint.

Detroit doesn't like to double team players.

Because of that, Reef has had Ben Wallace's number. But, the last few times he's played them - they double him.

If Detroit doesn't double Reef, he might go off on Wallace. Which will really open things up as the Pistons will HAVE to start doubling. If they double, look for all chaos to break out. It isn't their game.

NOW - the flipside is that they might put Rasheed Wallace on Reef. If that's the case - Reef will have his hands full. Then we might have to work it to Bonzi in the post a lot more.

It'll be a little harder tp pull off our swing passes aginst the Pistons. We'll have to make crisp, SMART plays or Bilups, Hamilton and Prince will feast on Kings turnovers all game. I'll be watching that assist/turnover ratio all night.

You can bet if we pull of "W" it will be getting crazy in my living room, I can't wait to see howthe Kings respond to this team! Last game was so much fun, c'mon boys!

Great grades Brick, pretty much right on as far as I'm concerned. Reminded me why Peja is so easy to love and yet so easy to hate. Biggest talent tease in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.