Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Temple

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, believe it or not, last night I wasn't sure what to do with a theme, and I let it become an excuse not to start the grades on time. When themes > grades, you know the world has gone topsy turvy on you. But after a morning of reflection I've hit upon our theme -- its time to give the ladies what they have been clamoring for. So without further ado, or delay, here are the grades, and the theme = Beefcake Baby

Boxscore

Cappsi ( C ) -- another one of these 15-18 min almost spot starts, but this one a little redeemed by a stronger stint late. Got stripped going up for an early drive, and then blocked on another attempt. Was not out there long until we went to Donte. Was back to start the 3rd and again got stripped on the drive -- seemed like everytime he went inside they slapped the ball away and you had to wonder if they had seen something in the videos that they could exploit -- like he was always bringing the ball up the same way or something. That stint did not last long either. But was back in for the final 12 seconds of the third, and left in to start the 4th, which proved to be a good thing for both him and us. An aggressive take to start the quarter missed. But then got back to back o-rebs and finishes and snagged a strong d-board too. Left again and did not return with Noc playing a major role and Donte giving us some good late minutes, but at least enough of a late contribution that he did not leavce with his tail between his legs.

Vin -- sniff my armpit baby

Landry ( B+ ) -- turnaround jumper for thefirst points of the game, was nto missing anything, and aggressive on the glass early. Offensive board and snuck it over the rim, and after returning in the 2nd dropped a good post move to make it 5 for his first 5 from the field. Committed an offensive foul, then grabbed another offensive board and fouled. Started the third getting fouled and heading to the line. Got his next shot blocked and a jumpball enused, whihc we lost. Missed the post move. Inadvertenly knocked a d-board away from Noc and out of bounds -- we had four guys back, there were no Mavs close, just a doh play. Cleaned up a Noc miss and followed. Hit by Beno on the drive and dish for the finish +1. Missed the baseline jumper. Started the 4th with a bad turnover up top to that started the Mavs break. Drew the foul out of the timeout at the 4:00 mark and hit both. Grabbed a strong d-board. Could not catch the ball on the move at the 30 second mark. Offenive board on our final desperate possesion off Greene's missed three, and kicked it to Reke for another miss. This was better early than late. Started hot and did not miss until the third. Not much of a factor in the 4th however, and when he and Noc returned for Donte and Temple, beleive it or not we seemed to lose in the equation and fade. 21 and 8 a game after 22-10 works however -- that's strong near star level play from the PF spot.

Da Hoff -- remains one of the all time greats of course. Women all over the board are swooning as I type -- best to catch them before they fall. Wanted the one with the puppies, and being reminded of it by one of our adoring female posters is actually what inspired this theme, but you know, gotta keep it tasteful and all. Boo -- no fun.

Hawes ( B- ) -- got off to the aggressive start to this one, and was ironically doing well right up to the point the Mavs suffered yet another injury and lost Haywood -- they've got incredible talent but just can't keep everybody healthy it seems. Perils of being old. Was on the boards early, and had 6pts 5rebs midway through the first. Loose post pass to Landry for the TO. As the Mavs went small, was removed. Back in and faded on a post move. Fouled Beabois for the +1 to let the Mavs tie it. In the late 3rd got fouled going to the hoop and hit 1 of 2. D-board and almost turned over the inbound, until Reke came up with it. Boarded over by Najera, but recovered and got the second one after the Mavs could not convert. A minute after Reke got the offensive foul on Barea, so did Hawes. No minutes in the 4th as we went small and smaller. 7pts 9rebs in 20min work as stats, but probably less effective than that and most of it in the very early going.

When looking for cheese its hard to beat (a very young) Lorenzo Lame *** as my brother calls him. His response when I told him Lorenzo had a reality TV show now was priceless.

Udrih ( B+ ) -- got off to the racing start in this one, but started to get beat on defense, and then just largely disappeared after half. Early a spinning drive rolled over the rim, then added two jumpers. Came off a pick and drained a three, and then canned another three early in the 2nd. But things started to get dicey as Beaubois and Barea took turns abusing him on the other end while he abused them on offense. Left Beaubois for a three which he hit. Then drained another three from the corner and was just scorching. Then got beat by Beaubois for the dunk. Then got burned by Barea to the hoop, and was giving as many as he got. Missed a jumper. Then got to add the two Ts when Carlisle got tossed. In the early third got a three on the kick from Noc...and that would be it. His final points of the game with 20 minutes still left to play. Quiet for a long time, but penetrated and a nice drive and dish to Landry. Missed the stop and pop. Dish to Udoka, but it was blocked inside. Drive and tried to dish to Reke, but bad pass turnover. Another bad pass turnover trying to drive and kick against the zone. Ran into the steal on the break and got it ahead to Reke for the layup. Pass to Noc slipping to the hoop for the +1 when we were down 6 at the 2:15 mark. Grabbed a key d-board at the 1:15 mark. Made some contributions even after the offense stopped, but the combination of this being early game heavy, as well as his getting scorched back the other way by the Mavericks guards, holds the grade down a bit.

I am Fabio! Prepare to have your bodice ripped.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( B- ) -- got off to the slow start to this one, the Mavs joined the long list of teams gearing the whole defense toward him, and the jumper continued to look awful. Just when you were starting to worry about him crucntime came and Reke was back leading a near comeback. Turnover on the attempted pick and roll with Spencer to start. Great great spin take on Butler, but then tried to flop against Butler the other way but did not get the call -- pelase don't add that to your game Reke, we just shipped it out. Block on Stevensen. Racking up the early assists with 4 in the first 8 minutes. Tried the jumper and not even close. Strong drive past Stevensen in the last minute of the quarter to get fouled but hit only 1 of 2 as the FTs continued to look shaky -- the FT struggles of recent weeks have maybe been the leading edge of these jumper woes. Went too early on the final possession of the quarter, but another strong spinning drive at the 11 second mark. Unfortunately again struggled from the line, missing both, and the second one missed badly as he only too obviously overcorrected. Started the second with a missed jumper against the clock. Blocked on the cut to the hoop. Switched onto Beaubois and the only guy who stopped him all quarter. Finished the half with a measley 4pts 4ast, not able to penetrate agaisn the zone and help, and the jumper looking worse than mine (that's a pretty hefty insult). In the third some aggresive defense on Beaubois (who got the start for his spectacular first half play) but Beaubois hit the three anyway. Began to come alive as the quarter went on. Nice feed inside to Noc for the dunk. Then a nice spinning drive and finish after a long quiet period. Split a double, ball got out of ahead of him, but caiught up to it for the drive and finish. Drive on the baseline and tried to hit Udoka for the corner three and tunrover. Drive and finish off the scramble play. Gambled for steals in the open court several times on Kidd/Barea, but never got them. Offensive foul on Barea and left at the end of third. In the 4th came back in and immediately hit a three. Thank you. Spectacular finish on a spectacular pass from Donte. Then the strong take as we started the comeback. Charge against Stevensen. Stole the ball from Butler. Missed the jumper. Grabbed a d-board, went full court, but got stripped on the drive. Cherrypicked and got the layup. Strong drive at the 1:30 mark to make it 2. Tried to drive the next time but got it banged free for the turnover (looked like a foul, but whatever). Tried to pass to Landry on the cut, but Landry could not handle it. Missed the desperation three at the 10 second mark. Had me scared for a little while in this one, but figured it out and stepped up his play when needed to finish with a solid Reke day. The biggest downside? Only 1 reb, as he lost ground in his 20-5-5 chase. Could have been a C+ with the turnovers, but gets the bump for coming on late and leading the comeback rather than putting up early numbers.

Peja -- I've used this too often over the years, but really, it never gets old and there's always a new generation of fans to indoctrinate. The original hangs framed in Ailene's bedroom.

Bench

Greene ( C+ ) -- in for Casspi, and a strong drive but wild on the finish, nice tip attempt just did not roll over. Ripped a rebound away from JKidd. Did not run at Stevensen at the 3pt line. In the 2nd overpowered by Dirk on defense, then missed the jumper and got a drive blocked by Najera. Pulled quickly after 4+ minutes, and not happy about it. Maybe finally had enough, and after he was out for a long long time, I was worried that once again he had given Westphal a reason not to play him. But finally came back in the mid-4th and gave us an immediate, if short lived, boost. Made a spectacular no look pass to Reke on the cut. Then hit a three on the Reke kick. Strong defensive board and a lot of energy. When he got pulled, along with Temple, we actualy seemed to take a step back down the stretch. Back in for the final seconds after Noc left, and missed a despeation three. This is as high as I can go on a 1-6 night, but the late kick in the pants was a nice reminder of how much talent we are sitting on there.

Reggie Theus -- while we are on the Kings, hot 'n oily Reggie never gets old either.

Cisco ( D ) -- got long minutes in this one as we tried to keep guard types out on the floor against all the Bareas and Beauboises being thrown against us, but gave us little production in return. Nothing at all in the late first after entering, some active defense in the early 2nd including a block on Beaubois at the rim, which he then took coast to coast and got fouled. Beaubois hit a three over him, Cisco responded by missing not one, not two, but three of his own. In the 4th turned down the open assisted jumper to dribble in and miss a worse attempt of his own. Lot of empty minutes in this one.

Burt -- sometimes our board rules can be so stifling -- really would love to post the rest fo this pic for this theme

May ( C ) -- other than a single in and out jumper, my notes for Sean basically consist of "grabbed a d-board" and "grabbed another d-board". Pretty exciting stuff.

Dolph -- no, I can't explain the pose

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Nocioni ( B ) -- back from suspension and immediately played a major role in this one. Hit a quick three, nice strong take down the right side. Managed to physically impede Dirk a bit. Three on the kickout from Reke, but missed another from Reke to close the first half. Quickly in in the third. Victimized by a Kidd flop. Dunk from a nice Reke feed. Airballed a little layup, but Landry cleaned it up. Offensive rebound. Missed the three at the end of the 3rd courtesy of Temple. Started the 4th with a selfish 1 on team drive that did not go, but Omri followed it. Baseline take from Temple. Missed the post move. Stole a ball meant for Butler. Powered through by Dirk as he dominated play late. Probably walked, but drew the foul on the break at the 3:35, but hit only 1 of 2. Slipped to the hoop at the 2:15 mark and took the pass for a +1, but missed the FT and left the Dallas lead at 4. Poked away a ball from Dirk that seemed to go off Dirk's thigh -- refs had to go to replay but decided no. Fouled out at the 21 second mark with the Mavs up 4, sending Dirk to the line to put them up 6. 15pts 6rebs = one of the more productive games he's had in months. Picked a bad time to start missing FTs though.

Jean Claude -- it was speedo Jean Claude, or this, which was just damn sexy, so I went with it

Udoka ( C ) -- came in found space and smoothly hit a little 16 foot jumper. Then knocked down the three from the corner on the swinging ball movement when Reke got doubled. Missed the angle three. In the third grabbed an offensive rebound, but lost control and had to go to the floor and call a timeout. Airballed the three from the corner. Blocked inside. Along the way not really quick enoguh to have a defensive impact on Dallas's three PG lineup. A little nonplussed about hos this all amouonts to calls for his head however.

Mark Wahlberg -- look! Its Marky Mark! And he's a baaad man. Really.

Temple ( B ) -- in for the final couple of mintues of the third for Reke. On our final play of the half long crosscourt pass made it to Noc, but Noc bricked the three. Actually got to stay in this time, and too advanatge of the opportunity to show a little something. Started the 4th missing his first shot as a King. Beat by Beaubois, but showed nice passing instincts. Stayed in the game after Reke returned and did a nice job defending Dirk on back to back possessions despite givng up what looks to be 70 lbs or so (this kid makes Kevin look buff and needs to hti the weight room). Closed his evening with a fun full court gallop and finsih + 1 past Kidd.

Carl Weathers -- Carl gives this thread a thumbs up, so should you! Ya wimps! :p

Notes: team very active early defense, substitutions of our main guys late in the 4th seemed to turn the tide...against us

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Udoka- Big fat resounding F

First he fools us by making a three and then just sucks it up for the rest of the night while taking away minutes from Omri (who did struggle but at least made two hoops) and Donte (who sparked our failed comeback).

Noce actually was bearable tonight.

Him and Noc seem to trade off on who can be productive for the team :p. But I don't blame him, I blame the Grant Napear pre-game interview. Who ever gets interviewed has an unproductive game-its true! ;)

Last edited:
I really don't know who was Kings best player tonight (maybe Landry or Beno) so I won't vote in the poll. I do think that that streaking jet with afterburners for Dallas, Roddy Beaubois (career high 22 pts) was their player of the game.

First he fools us by making a three and then just sucks it up for the rest of the night while taking away minutes from Omri (who did struggle but at least made two hoops) and Donte (who sparked our failed comeback).

ye what's the point of playing 6-7 different forwords?
Casspi should be there more (a-beacause he is young and much more talented then Udoka, b)he is the better forword, not only when it comes to scoring, but also rebounding).
i know he was tired and the coach wants to keep him fresh, but 15 minutes is redicules.

I was only able to watch part of the 3rd quarter, but did get to see Beno drive into 2-3 Mavericks and then pass to another Mav a couple of times.
He at least made 20 points and 6 assists. Nevermind that he still fails on defense and other things. Our standards here in Sacramento it seems is low anyways. Pardon me too, that is just an opinion.

K

Kingsguy881

Mandry B+. Beno A-. Reke B-. Hawes C+. Greene C+. Noc B. All others = failed.

Edit, actually Temple played well. B for him.

Love the effort and the cohesion that is starting to form.

I really like the way the team has played the last 6-7 games. There is a real effort to defend and you can see the results. They played well on both sides of the ball against the Mav's but unfortunately they just dont have the firepower needed to stay with the Mav's. Also the Mav's have a bonafide Superstar in Dirk. We have a 20 year old maturing into a superstar player who is getting better and better. This time next season he could be a real threat that is a top 10 talent. He looks like a 3rd year vet as a ROOKIE 20 year old player!! His defense is already better than most of the point guards in the WEST! That is not just unusual, it is incredible! I believe the Basketball Gods have blessed the Kings greatly!

I noticed looking at the box scores that this renewed effort on the defensive end has coincided with the reduction of minutes for Hawes. Let me start by saying I am not bashing Hawes!!! He is getting about 20 min a game now which is just about right for him. His defensive liabilities hurt his overall effectiveness. So the coach made a change that seems to have renewed the effort of all the other players on the starting unit. I can't wait to see Brockman with this unit! I really like the way that Evans and Landry are starting to play together. They are developing a good 2 man game, except their roles are reversed and 'Reke is the post player! The whole team seems to be getting used to one another. Imagine this team with everyone healthy and having a summer camp and preseason to begin putting it all together. It is a nice young unit with a lot of athleticism and some top notch talent. Having 2 of our rookies in the frosh/soph game says a lot about our talented rookies. The way JT was playing the first month, he almost got on the soph team. I just cant wait to see Evans with a reliable jumper. He will be Dwayne Wade unstoppable with any kind of perimeter game. Then Landry can be the post player in the 2 man game. I think 'Reke is good enough to build a team around!

I think PW and GP are going to be able to fully assess the talent we have on the roster, and then make an educated search for the pieces we need to keep the Kings getting better. I think this Kings team they have playing is talented enough to play good basketball, which will allow the front office get a good look at what they have. I think the Kings are more than just 1 or 2 players away from even being a one and done team in the playoffs. They are going to need to pick up several players, one of which is going to have to be a starter and then later on add several depth players. Hopefully with some of the free agent money they have available, and the draft, they can fill that starter spot and maybe pick up one or two of the depth guys this summer. Then the following year pick up a coupla more guys. It is a process and it is going to take time. But you can see that the process is in action, and the Kings are moving in the right direction. After the debacle last season, watching this years team is like Night and DAY! I enjoy watching the Kings again.

I think picking up Landry sped up the renewal process for the Kings by at least a year. He looks like a very productive starter at the 4, and that gives PW a lot of options now that he didn't have before. I did not know that Landry had such a good perimeter game! He is playing 37 minutes a game, scoring 17.4 points while making .505 of his shots! AND his is already one of the best free throw shooter on the team at 88% in 8 games with the Kings! THAT is CLUTCH!! And Carl is young enough to fit right in with the Kings young roster. This is his 3rd season, and he is succeeding like a 3rd year player is supposed to. Well, good 3rd year players anyway...

Good post, FaStRmAn.
With our current personnel, we should be a .500 team next year (barring serious injuries, of course). But we should be able to upgrade during the offseason with a lottery pick and a decent free agent signing. We'll lose a couple of our current pieces, but no one of particular significance IMO.
The future for the Kings doesn't just look bright. It is bright! And I agree about the 20 min/game for Hawes - at least until he proves he deserves more.

What I just don't get is how we refused to go to Hawes inside when the tallest Mavs player on the floor was like 6'8 or something

Alright, believe it or not, last night I wasn't sure what to do with a theme, and I let it become an excuse not to start the grades on time. When themes > grades, you know the world has gone topsy turvy on you. But after a morning of reflection I've hit upon our theme -- its time to give the ladies what they have been clamoring for. So without further ado, or delay, here are the grades, and the theme = Beefcake Baby

Another stellar performance by out "PG"!
I guess everything is alright, as long Brick is happy.

Nevertheless, FREE WILLY aka Evans!

Let the man play within himself. Let him be what he is. This is getting beyond stupid.:eek::mad:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Its to bad that Sergei Monia pic that surfaced years ago has disappeared into the vast expansive internet.

Would have been a great add-on right next Peja.

Bricklayer

Its to bad that Sergei Monia pic that surfaced years ago has disappeared into the vast expansive internet.

Would have been a great add-on right next Peja.

You nailed it -- I went out searching for it again for this one, and its just gone. Not the first time I have looked for it either. Very strange. I mean what actually disappears int he age of the internet? Liek completely disappears? Especially when its such pure gold? :cool:

Since this thread is going to the archives soon, perhaps one of the moderators can split this latest discussion into a separate thread so it can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.