[Grades] Grades v. Lakers 11/10/2016

Who had you banging your head against the wall the most?

• Rudy

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Afflalo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawson

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Collison

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tolliver

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did you know that in Dave Joerger's first season with the Grizz they started off the season 3-5, and were 10-15 before they figured it out, kicked into gear, and finished the season 50-32?

Talk to me about Christmastime and we'll see where we are.
The thing is, when you look for process instead of results you can already see that we are going to be better. We are finally playing the right way. We have been in every game and had a chance to win maybe except for Milwaukee.
Get a few practices in and get used to each other and I'm sure we will be on track for .500 for the first time in a decade.

Did you know that in Dave Joerger's first season with the Grizz they started off the season 3-5, and were 10-15 before they figured it out, kicked into gear, and finished the season 50-32?

Ah well it's a good thing the Kings have made the playoffs last 3 years coming off our best season yet with a trip to the conference finals!

Oh wait ... Did you know that in Dave Joerger's first season with the Grizz reigning DPOY Marc Gasol missed the first 23 games?

I think we all knew best-case scenario this team would be .500 if everything went right. It's a tough stretch right now because Joerger is still tinkering with how to distribute minutes to certain players.

Further fueling my concerns about this team. When we are unable to control the pace, we are pretty much doomed with this squad. Young, athletic teams, that disrupt our offense give us a ton of problems.
And I think it's time for Joerger to step up and get vocal about the disgusting treatment the ref's give DMC. You touch a guard penetrating, it's a sure fire call. It's beyond comical at this point. Lou Williams is just drifting on his shots and gets the call every time. Cousins on the other hand gets slapped by two guys over both arms......no call. Cousins gets bumped while driving to the basket....no call. Cousins is getting arm wrestled while estabilishing post position...no call.
Please just come out with the statement as a league: We want our ever lasting narrative on Cousins to continue, because how the national broadcasters acted it was once again the same tiring old crap. Only Reggie Miller hinted in one situation: Yap that's why he is probably frustrated at times.........I mean WTF.....the big guy gets clubbered down low, but I know a whiny, soft skinny gimp like Williams or Russel is so beautiful to watch, so elegant and boy those guys can shoot and dribble....

Bah I can't stand this crap anymore. Can we watch some mans basketball again please? If DMC is hammered at least let him retaliate on all those small dudes coming into his paint. Let's see, who is laughing then.

Further fueling my concerns about this team. When we are unable to control the pace, we are pretty much doomed with this squad. Young, athletic teams, that disrupt our offense give us a ton of problems.
And I think it's time for Joerger to step up and get vocal about the disgusting treatment the ref's give DMC. You touch a guard penetrating, it's a sure fire call. It's beyond comical at this point. Lou Williams is just drifting on his shots and gets the call every time. Cousins on the other hand gets slapped by two guys over both arms......no call. Cousins gets bumped while driving to the basket....no call. Cousins is getting arm wrestled while estabilishing post position...no call.
Please just come out with the statement as a league: We want our ever lasting narrative on Cousins to continue, because how the national broadcasters acted it was once again the same tiring old poopoo. Only Reggie Miller hinted in one situation: Yap that's why he is probably frustrated at times.........I mean WTF.....the big guy gets clubbered down low, but I know a whiny, soft skinny gimp like Williams or Russel is so beautiful to watch, so elegant and boy those guys can shoot and dribble....

Bah I can't stand this poopoo anymore. Can we watch some mans basketball again please? If DMC is hammered at least let him retaliate on all those small dudes coming into his paint. Let's see, who is laughing then.
He has shot more FT's per game than any other player in the league this year. Come up with another excuse.

He has shot more FT's per game than any other player in the league this year. Come up with another excuse.
Watch the game and take of your DMC hater glasses. I'm not in the mood for clear cut agendas right now. I'm not involved in your ego bragging thing here at KingsFans.com nor will I ever take part. So leave me out of this crap.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
No he hasn't that just isn't true at all.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/free-throws/sort/avgFreeThrowsAttempted

He is top 5 per game with Anthony Davis and Westbrook above him in attempts per game, total freethrows this season he is 1st because he has played on average 1.5 more games than all of the players in the top 10. The only three big men in the top 10 are Howard, Cousins, and Davis. Cousins only shoots 1 more free throw per game than Harden, Lillard, and Derozan. Anthony Davis also gets some of the softest calls in the NBA because he plays like a guard.

There are only 3 pf/c in the top 10

That being said he needs some not charmin soft teammates surrounding him

F

Fora Dragi

Watch the game and take of your DMC hater glasses. I'm not in the mood for clear cut agendas right now. I'm not involved in your ego bragging thing here at KingsFans.com nor will I ever take part. So leave me out of this poopoo.
It's simple basketball is a team game. Cousins is not a team player. Other teams know that and they pressure him he will try to beat them himself. While he puts up numbers in the end it is not enough.

If this season plays out like the last 10... I will have to admit that there is some truth to the "empty stats" argument against Cousins....

I get heated as a fan. I have highs and I have lows. I'm not crazy enough to expect a 4th seed this year, but I certainly expected better than what we have seen in several games already this season. I want to see focused basketball with some effort. I could live with a loss like that. I don't understand how we can come out in the 2nd half so unfocused and so unwilling to give effort... it boggles my mind. What happens during halftime to cause that?

It's simple basketball is a team game. Cousins is not a team player. Other teams know that and they pressure him he will try to beat them himself. While he puts up numbers in the end it is not enough.
Being the only guy on a team can make being a team player hard. Again, not sure why this is so tough to understand. His measurable impact on vs off the court supports it. His teammates and coaches performance once they are free from the cancer that is Cuz supports it.

Ah well it's a good thing the Kings have made the playoffs last 3 years coming off our best season yet with a trip to the conference finals!

Oh wait ... Did you know that in Dave Joerger's first season with the Grizz reigning DPOY Marc Gasol missed the first 23 games?
Brick is pretty loose with the truth if you hadn't noticed.

Honestly we just didn't hit shots, plain and simple. Sometimes it happens. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out it's actually kind of funny.

The season is still very early, there's still a bunch of offensive sets the team has to learn, wtf were you guys expecting? We're almost .500 I say that not bad at all for where we are in the season.

Honestly we just didn't hit shots, plain and simple. Sometimes it happens. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out it's actually kind of funny.

The season is still very early, there's still a bunch of offensive sets the team has to learn, wtf were you guys expecting? We're almost .500 I say that not bad at all for where we are in the season.
it is. they need to regroup figure out how to improve and move forward. there are veterans on this team. they'll figure it out.

Wait just one second.

Brick, did you purposely misrepresent this factoid you trotted out to justify your (bordering on delusional) faith and patience in this team?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He needs more. It's an important part of his game. I don't know why this is considered an excuse. He should be able to have as much of an advantage of being one of the biggest agile big men in the game as he can get.

I was pleased that Reggie said he understood why Cuz would get upset. That's a deviation from the normal narrative. I was surprised Cuz didn't get a tech. It was a perfect game for him to blow up in that the team sucked and he was getting his usual hacking. Good for him.

Where the hell was Ben? This is the first year Ben has looked like a true to life NBA ball player and he sits on the pine. I am hoping this is all part of Joeger's learning process. Where's Seth? Oh wait .................................................. Casspi has been erratic. So are his minutes. Maybe there is a connection.

Patience, folks.

I'm not going to overreact as our team should only get better as the season progresses.

I am concerned with Joerger's lineups however. He needs to...
  • do a better job at keeping scorers on the floor
  • stop playing double center lineups
  • play tolliver more (and I would like to see him be a low minute starter next to Cousins)
  • drop lawson out of the rotation and have Collison & Temple take the PG minutes
As I was looking through the lineups this year, Temple/Afflalo/Gay/Cousins on the floor together with Temple as the PG has been very effective on offense & defense. Is it too crazy to think about starting Temple at PG when he has guys like Afflalo, Gay, & Cousins to help with the playmaking (leaving him to mainly focus on slowing down opposing team's starting PGs and knocking down 3s)? Statistically, it says it's a good move. I've been harping on Temple to start since the offseason in place of Afflalo (with Collison starting at PG). As of today, I can still make arguments to have him either start next to Afflalo or start next to Collison.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Even when the team was up 19, it was nothing to get excited about IMO. The team was on a scoring high in the first half and in the second half they couldn't make a lot of open shots they made in the first. I was afraid of this and it's a glaring issue. The Kings desperately need a third scorer, consistent one...can Darren become that? who knows, but he was building a house last night with those misses. The Lakers need to get some credit here, they kept at it and they started making more shots they missed in the first half, lots of easy penetration in the middle of the defense, can't have that against any team. If the defenders you bring in can't even hold down the fort, then they provide nothing for your team because the offensive production is so inconsistent. All that said, I hate Boogie shooting 5 three's..I don't care that he made 3 of them, he is falling in love with the three too much. I do like his composure through three quarters though, not looking at the refs, keeping quiet and just running back on defense. In the fourth however, the momentum shifted in LA's favor and the team as a whole couldn't respond to it. Looking on the bright side, Gay is increasing his trade value and it will likely make it easier to trade him come trade deadline.

K

KingMilz

Stats>>reality/ per36>wins

Dude Marc Gasol, Conley, Randolph, Tony Allen arent walking through that door.

Ben's not getting time because the team already has 4 guards - Ty/Collison/Afflalo/Temple. It can be argued if Ben should supplant one, but teams often don't employ 5 guards

I'm one of Cousins biggest supporters but I'm starting to realize that he's one of the main reasons why we never win.

We all know what he can do with the basketball but the guy is lazy and has no heart. When things don't go his way, he gives up. Your best player should be your leader. That doesn't mean he needs to be the most vocal on the team, it means he needs to lead by example. If you're the best player on the team, you go out there and play the game with the same intensity from start to finish. We lost last nights game because these guys flat out gave up when they hit adversity and it seems like they feed off of Cousins. They missed a bunch of shots, it's going to happen. The problem was that they got frustrated and basically just gave up after a while. I distinctly remember Collison taking the ball up the court and repeatedly waving Cousins to get his ass up there so they could start running their play. He was already giving up at that point. It wasnt until a couple shots fell in that they decided to play again and by that time it was too late unless everything went their way from then on...which obviously didn't happen.

This team is lazy. They seem to have this mindset that they aren't a crappy team and you see it when they play teams that are actually crappy because their effort is barely there. Or they give the effort when they have momentum but as soon as that momentum breaks, they don't dig their heels in and find other ways to win. They just wilt away until the game is over. This has been going on for years now. There's just no fight in these guys. They're front runners and if things don't go their way they take their ball and go home. The one constant in all of this is Cousins. We are in a situation where we can't win without him but I don't think we can win with him either because he doesn't play games from start to finish unless it's on his terms. I feel like Gay feeds off of him and usually quits with him and disappears when the going gets tough.

Which is why I respect guys like Barnes, Temple and the other players who give it their all. They are the alphas that keep playing until there is no chance of winning while the rest of these betas give up as soon as the going gets tough.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dude Marc Gasol, Conley, Randolph, Tony Allen arent walking through that door.
Now that would be the point wouldn't it.

WITH all of those guys, except Gasol, WITH an already established team...it took time.

Because that is life. It takes time.

And then here we are, a brand new construction, three of our 5 starters are new, a team that BTW was missing our putative starting PG for our first 8 games, which is a bit of a problem given the status of the backups. We've had a brutally paced start to the season, have played the most games in the league, this is our 4th back to back tonight...8 of our first 11 games on back to backups??? WTH is that. This in a league trying to lower their number. The first chance for this team to catch its breath, get some rest, and get some practice time will not start until tomorrow when we get the long break.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Brick is pretty loose with the truth if you hadn't noticed.
Indeed.

We will ignore of course the fact that what I said was 100% the truth.

And hey kiddies, some more truths!

Tom Thibodeau has started 2-5
Frank Vogel has started 3-5
Scott Brooks has started 2-5
and Dave joerger has started 4-6

Now every one of those fanbases can run around like panic stricken children, OR, they can suck it up, accept that it takes a while to fully seize the reigns and turn things, and sit back and see how it goes.

Here's another one:
Rick Adelman, '99 Kings
- starts off 5-6
- is 9-11 through 20
- is 13-17 through 30
- is 18-22 through 40

Because it takes time.

Way to be disingenuous, Brick.

You know as well as we do that with the upcoming schedule, the Kings are effectively not 4-6.
With the way they are finding ways to lose, they should not be favored to win but 1 of the next 12 games.
If they (quite likely based on the season thus far) go 2-10 or even 4-8, that makes them 6-16 or 8-14.

Go ahead and trot out the statistics that support a 6-16 team making the playoffs.
Then realistically compare those teams' mentalities (and coaching) to this team and coaches.

They blew the games they needed to win already this season.
They treated those games lightly at their peril.
Every time they got a lead (or even were tied!), they played noticeably lazier and more reckless, leading to more turnovers.

You can ignore the weaknesses as long as you want, but the writing of this season is already on the wall. It's practically graffiti-ied all over the shiny new arena.

F

Fora Dragi

Being the only guy on a team can make being a team player hard. Again, not sure why this is so tough to understand. His measurable impact on vs off the court supports it. His teammates and coaches performance once they are free from the cancer that is Cuz supports it.
Now brick was arguing he has talented vets with him now. Which is it? Would you consider the lakers squad uber talented. The answer is no. They play as a team. The Kings reliance on cuz and his insistence on killing ball movement along with Rudy is what hurts this team when one of them is on the floor. Which is 80% of the time

Way to be disingenuous, Brick.

You know as well as we do that with the upcoming schedule, the Kings are effectively not 4-6.
With the way they are finding ways to lose, they should not be favored to win but 1 of the next 12 games.
If they (quite likely based on the season thus far) go 2-10 or even 4-8, that makes them 6-16 or 8-14.

Go ahead and trot out the statistics that support a 6-16 team making the playoffs.
Then realistically compare those teams' mentalities (and coaching) to this team and coaches.

They blew the games they needed to win already this season.
They treated those games lightly at their peril.
Every time they got a lead (or even were tied!), they played noticeably lazier and more reckless, leading to more turnovers.

You can ignore the weaknesses as long as you want, but the writing of this season is already on the wall. It's practically graffiti-ied all over the shiny new arena.
dude... I'm a negative guy but you're on a whole other level.

They are too 4-6. They are - I swear to God. I'll bet you my avatar picture that they are really truly and effectively and genuinely 4-6.

They have played 10 games and won 4 - and but for a shaky ref job in Miami would be at .500 and exceeding most expectations.

Whole new coaching staff off to 4-6 start after Collison's 8 game suspension and a 5 game east trip to start the year is not really very far from where they "should be". In fact it is probably where I thought or almost even hoped they would be.

Not denying we have problems but your view really feels overly dark to me - and that's saying some.