[Grades] Grades v. Hornets 1/28/2017

At this point do you mess with this with a trade? Or do you let it ride and build?

• Try to improve through a move

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Count on the kids and chemistry for improvement

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • A trade only with someone outside of the 10 man rotation right now (Ben/Omri)

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gunks

Hall of Famer
What sucks about Ben, besides him not working out, obviously, is that apparently he's always looked REALLY GOOD in practice.

So year after year, trade offers are shot down because the FO thinks Ben will finally "get it".... and he never does.

Maybe there's a team out there that thinks they can make a player of him yet, and we'll actually get something for him.

Hell, I bet the Spurs could make a legit two way SG out of him yet. But then again, a lot of us also thought they'd turn Ray Mac into a player as well.

What sucks about Ben, besides him not working out, obviously, is that apparently he's always looked REALLY GOOD in practice.

So year after year, trade offers are shot down because the FO thinks Ben will finally "get it".... and he never does.

Maybe there's a team out there that thinks they can make a player of him yet, and we'll actually get something for him.

Hell, I bet the Spurs could make a legit two way SG out of him yet. But then again, a lot of us also thought they'd turn Ray Mac into a player as well.
What if we use him as a 3 because we're going to be thin there with Rudy going down and Casspi's FA status not to mention Barnes.

What if we use him as a 3 because we're going to be thin there with Rudy going down and Casspi's FA status not to mention Barnes.
No way, Ben is too small as a 3. He's only like 6'4 or at most 6'5 with very short arms.

If anything, Malachi and Bogdanovic can swing to the 3 sometime because they're both 6'6 and have length.

No way, Ben is too small as a 3. He's only like 6'4 or at most 6'5 with very short arms.

If anything, Malachi and Bogdanovic can swing to the 3 sometime because they're both 6'6 and have length.
Okay but he's still an exceptional athlete and young. Once again we are thin an the 3 we're going to need to play the 3 by committee in all likelihood.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I want us to trade him to the Spurs. I like McBen, and I want to see him succeed somewhere. It's clear that's not happening in Sacramento and he's now more broken than ever; so what better team to "fix" him than the best run franchise in the NBA?

Vlade made good picks. Joerger is steadily bringing things together. Cuz's game has expanded to include sharing the ball on a timely basis to good effect. Cuz says Rudy's injury has given them new purpose and resolve. The team is showing signs of making it work better. Keep it up. I've go my fingers crossed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm speculating he'll improve as a player and can be more effective with a smaller role.
But that's the sad thing...we've all been waiting far too long for Ben to improve as a player. It just hasn't happened and it seems fairly obvious it just isn't going to. At some point, he ceased to be a promising rookie. He's now well on his way to being out of the NBA in the near future.

But that's the sad thing...we've all been waiting far too long for Ben to improve as a player. It just hasn't happened and it seems fairly obvious it just isn't going to. At some point, he ceased to be a promising rookie. He's now well on his way to being out of the NBA in the near future.
I actually felt sad when I saw Ben's face at the close of the game tonight. I just don't see a scenario where he plays again, and I always liked him. I really hope we trade him and a change of scenery helps him. Malachi is making him look real bad I think.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I want us to trade him to the Spurs. I like McBen, and I want to see him succeed somewhere. It's clear that's not happening in Sacramento and he's now more broken than ever; so what better team to "fix" him than the best run franchise in the NBA?
For sure. He's a pretty good dude by all accounts, I can only root for him (until we play whatever team he ends up on, of course). What sucks is that Malone really had him on the right track to becoming a solid NBA starter. His career may be another casualty of that awful decision by The Cabal of PDA and Flattop.

I actually felt sad when I saw Ben's face at the close of the game tonight. I just don't see a scenario where he plays again, and I always liked him. I really hope we trade him and a change of scenery helps him. Malachi is making him look real bad I think.
Ben is a bust, he's made millions, he'll be fine.
BTW, how was Malachi tonight?

I love what is going on with this team right now.

However, I am still open to a trade that could improve the longer term outlook for this team. In particular, trades involving any player on our team older than 27 would intrigue me. But of course, it always depends on the details of the trade.

Great win and the team is playing great on this road trip! Really entertaining stuff!

However, those are not the only options in reference to the poll. We still should be making trades that build for the future and to help us keep our pick this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do not dislike Ben the person in any way, shape or form. Ben the professional NBA player for the Sacramento Kings, however, just doesn't work.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Great win and the team is playing great on this road trip! Really entertaining stuff!

However, those are not the only options in reference to the poll. We still should be making trades that build for the future and to help us keep our pick this year.
We will have 4 1st and 2nd year guys of minimal experience sitting on the bench or playing a few minutes per game next year. We are not desperate for youth.

I would be thrilled if someone gave us anything of value for Ben.
I think the best we could hope for is another disappointing player, with "upside" or a 2nd round pick in return.

The second round pick may not be bad, because open up a roster spot to bring Lamar Patterson up for a spin.

We will have 4 1st and 2nd year guys of minimal experience sitting on the bench or playing a few minutes per game next year. We are not desperate for youth.
But we are desperate for talent and talent that won't be declining in Cousins' prime.

I'd rather us build that talent through a flurry of young players. Let Joerger establish the culture and let the chemistry build with these players that we will have control over for the next 5-8 years. Not players that can be gone in a year or two (Collison, Lawson, Temple, Afflalo, McLemore, Gay, Barnes, Casspi, Tolliver, & Koufos). In the meantime, the rookie contracts will give us an opportunity to sign good/great FAs in a couple years depending on how attractive the team is beginning to look.

I guess it comes down to do you think this team has enough talent to one day compete for a Championship? I don't, so I think the team should take steps to build towards that vision. Considering we've never been a good FA for stars, that means relying on the draft, developing our current young players, and trades to acquire the talent necessary to be that competitive one day. A playoff appearance is nice, but in the grand scheme of things it's not going to help us in FA as much as people think. A top 10 pick in this years draft is much more valuable than increasing your chances of landing a star in FA from 5% to 10% (for example). Trading off the remaining short term vets for young pieces and picks gives us a couple more shots at finding a game changer or it at least gives us more assets to utilize in a trade for a game changer.

You'll never see me root against the Kings in a game. I'll shout at my TV the entire game, but the GM in me sees it differently. I don't let the emotional highs & lows of how the team is currently doing affect that judgement.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think the best we could hope for is another disappointing player, with "upside" or a 2nd round pick in return.

The second round pick may not be bad, because open up a roster spot to bring Lamar Patterson up for a spin.
Hawks grabbed him on a 10-day.