[Grades] Grades v. Heat 1/4/2017

I like Matt Barnes. I'm saying it in this thread so I don't look like some kind of bandwagoner when he helps us win games in the future. I'll take the bad with the good where he is concerned.

Well, if you watch other NBA games, they all shoot a lot of three's now. That's the current craze at the moment. Logically, it makes sense. If you were to shoot 33% from the three for the entire game, the other team would have to shoot 50% from the two to beat you. Those are good odds for the team shooting the three.
So true and it also helps, that the defender needs to cover the most distance to guard the 3, that the defender isn't allowed to make any kind of contact with the opponent during and after the shooting motion and that the defender isn't allowed to get carried into the space occupied by the shooter in order for the shooter to safely land.
So in the end the best case scenario for the defense is to run the opponent off the line, which most often leads to an open lane to the basket and a 2vs1 situation close to the basket versus the lone rim defender or leads to an easy kick out for 3 as the defense is forced to collapse. Any other scenario is basically leading to just putting a hand up as a defender and hoping for a miss.
So the 3 is the most difficult shot to guard nowadays, it has great efficiency and even if the defense runs a shooter off the line it's a catchup scenario from there on, very similar to a vanilla double team in the post.
After all there aren't many reasons not to shoot as many 3's as possible and therefore there aren't many reasons not to play as many shooters as possible and not to play lineups as quick as possible.

McClemore is maddening. He likely is the best athlete on the team but he's too often a ghost who does not assert himself in games. As some have pointed out too, his dribbling still needs major work. I used to think if only he could take-on a fearless attitude like former Barron Davis, he could become a star, but that never panned out - "are you Pizza Guy"?

Which begs the question, What has happened to Ben and Willie under coach J? They both seemed like starter material last year and now look lost and ineffective.

On the other hand, Lawson is showing signs of his former self. Temple is playing the best games of his life. Tolliver is playing better. Colllison is pretty dependable. Koufous is playing as well as he can.

How could the Heat stop Cousins in his tracks with that line-up? It is mind boggling.

I agree that the Kings need to learn how to run a fast break. Do they ever practice it?

K

KingMilz

Which begs the question, What has happened to Ben and Willie under coach J? They both seemed like starter material last year and now look lost and ineffective.

On the other hand, Lawson is showing signs of his former self. Temple is playing the best games of his life. Tolliver is playing better. Colllison is pretty dependable. Koufous is playing as well as he can.

How could the Heat stop Cousins in his tracks with that line-up? It is mind boggling.

I agree that the Kings need to learn how to run a fast break. Do they ever practice it?
He had 4-5 stretches of these in Washington I would not say it's the best it's what he's done in the past given playing time

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

In order to run an effective fast break, the players need to be willing to share the ball for starters

First, when has Ben ever looked like starter material?