Grades v. Heat 01/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
piksi said:
broken record
yeah, even more broken than usual... because you could insert Cwebb's name instead of peja's, and the exact damn thing has been said for 3 seasons.

Peja is not playing very well right now. But he isn't the problem. He isn't the solution right now, but he isn't THE problem. He isn't THE problem any more than Webber was THE problem. Get a grip people.

mcsluggo said:
yeah, even more broken than usual... because you could insert Cwebb's name instead of peja's, and the exact damn thing has been said for 3 seasons.

Peja is not playing very well right now. But he isn't the problem. He isn't the solution right now, but he isn't THE problem. He isn't THE problem any more than Webber was THE problem. Get a grip people.
no, peja is not the problem. but he is part of a problem...and a pretty big problem at that.

kings management and kings fans, in general, need to stop deluding themselves over "how good this team can be." that's all we've been hearing this whole season. at exactly 40 games into the season, we know exactly how "good" this kings team is: good enough for 17-23. that's a .425 win percentage, and that's likely around where the kings will finish at the end of this season, barring any unforseen miracle trades. the 05-06 kings experiment was given a shot, and it failed. simple as that. there still is a large imbalance in the starting unit, and nobody should expect things to improve significantly until some semblance of balance is restored.

now there are a few positives to be taken so far, but very few. we do know that both kevin martin and francisco garcia have the potential to be very capable backup shooting guards. by the offseason, and this is just my opinion, kings management needs to commit to one of them. a lot of people will disagree with me here, because everybody plays martin/francisco favorites, and there is much to like about both, but let's face it people, they play very similar games. they're both shooters. martin has more of a tendency to get to the basket, and garcia seems to have the better shot of the two (when his confidence is right), but in the end, they play a very similar style of basketball. the kings either need to commit to making one of them the starter and the other the backup, or package on of the two in a bigger trade. it's no good to be log jammed like we are at several positions (and garcia is no SF, let's not kid ourselves).

another positive: bonzi wells. despite his current state of injury, he showed more heart and determination in his time on the court than all of our other starters combined. bonzi wells is no superstar who comes to save the day, but his hustle and desire are assets enough, imo, to give him a long term contract come this offseason. hopefully, all parties involved can agree to something reasonable, and if a reasonable agreement can be reached, then i think it is very worthwhile to re-sign him.

and there may be another positive or two, but i've got to go to class, so i'm gonna cut this post short ;). in the end, this team is going nowhere, and a shakeup, if not a full blown rebuild, must take place. no more of this rebuild-on-the-fly crap. time to commit to righting this ship.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Padrino said:
... but in the end, they play a very similar style of basketball. the kings either need to commit to making one of them the starter and the other the backup...
I disagree that they have a similar style; I believe that Garcia is much more perimeter oriented.

Explain to me why Garcia is not a SF?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Padrino said:
now there are a few positives to be taken so far, but very few. we do know that both kevin martin and francisco garcia have the potential to be very capable backup shooting guards. by the offseason, and this is just my opinion, kings management needs to commit to one of them. a lot of people will disagree with me here, because everybody plays martin/francisco favorites, and there is much to like about both, but let's face it people, they play very similar games. they're both shooters. martin has more of a tendency to get to the basket, and garcia seems to have the better shot of the two (when his confidence is right), but in the end, they play a very similar style of basketball. the kings either need to commit to making one of them the starter and the other the backup, or package on of the two in a bigger trade. it's no good to be log jammed like we are at several positions (and garcia is no SF, let's not kid ourselves).
I disagree with the last part of that statement. What I've seen is BOTH Martin and Garcia on the court together, playing quite well as a SG/SF duo. In fact, although I have a lot of problems sometimes with Hart, there was at least one game when Hart, Martin and Garcia were on the court that was really exciting to watch...

I think you're wrong about management committing to one of them. With Bonzi a big question mark right now about next year, I sincerely hope management has ALREADY committed to both of them, at least at this point in time.

VF21 said:
I disagree with the last part of that statement. What I've seen is BOTH Martin and Garcia on the court together, playing quite well as a SG/SF duo. In fact, although I have a lot of problems sometimes with Hart, there was at least one game when Hart, Martin and Garcia were on the court that was really exciting to watch...

I think you're wrong about management committing to one of them. With Bonzi a big question mark right now about next year, I sincerely hope management has ALREADY committed to both of them, at least at this point in time.
hey, i said a lotta people would disagree with me. ;)

my opinion may or may not be a popular one, but i stand by it. i like both players. i'm glad their futures are not in my hands, because i honestly do not know if i would want to keep just one or both. i'm not saying that it would hurt to keep both, but my opinion is that the kings should ink bonzi wells long term (to a reasonable contract, if at all possible), and bring either martin or garcia off the bench behind him. of course, if the kings do not re-sign wells, then it is pertinent to retain both martin and garcia. but having both does seem superfluous to me, and maybe thats just because i like 8-9 man rotations. i aint trying to spark a huge argument, i'm just trying to think like a GM. that's all. and my plan would entail making major changes to the starting unit, and deciding who you absolutely must keep off the bench. i wanna see the whole thing blown wide open, but like i said, my opinion on the way this kings team should be directed may not be the most popular.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I disagree that they have a similar style; I believe that Garcia is much more perimeter oriented.

Explain to me why Garcia is not a SF?
eh...i never thought of garcia as a SF because of his size. at 6'7, 190 lbs, i don't think he's necessarily strong enough to contend with most SF's in the league. of course, petrie absolutely loves swing players, and garcia can double as a SF if the matchup is right, but with the kings at a defensive disadvantage at most (if not all) positions, i'm not very fond of the idea of playing yet another tweener at the SF.

and i do agree that garcia is more of a perimeter player than martin. my point was that i don't see such a stark contrast in their respective styles of play--and the way their skills are utilized--that it would be necessary to keep both, if given that they both played as backups. of course, they have played well together, so maybe i'm way off base here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
6'7" is not "tweener" size for a SF, nor is 190 pounds, unless Bruce Bowen is a "tweener" SF. I think that some people get enamored of seeing 6'10" Stojakovic and 6'10" Rashard Lewis play SF (or 7'0" Dirk Nowitzki and 7'0" Kevin Garnett early in their careers), and then see 6'7" and think "tweener." Garcia might be a little light in the cakes, but he's certainly not too small for the job.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Padrino said:
eh...i never thought of garcia as a SF because of his size. at 6'7, 190 lbs, i don't think he's necessarily strong enough to contend with most SF's in the league. of course, petrie absolutely loves swing players, and garcia can double as a SF if the matchup is right, but with the kings at a defensive disadvantage at most (if not all) positions, i'm not very fond of the idea of playing yet another tweener at the SF.
The point isn't whether you consider Garcia as a SF. ;) The real point is that he is being utilized as a SF and has consistently been referred to as the backup SF by the Kings organization. So, they obviously do think of him as a SF.

My personal opinion is that the SF designation is pretty much outdated. If you look at the typical roster in the NBA nowadays, you don't see the cast in stone PG, SG, SF, PF, C on a majority of teams. There has been a blending so that oftentimes there are a PG, two swing players, a PF and a C or even a PG, two swing players, and two big men alternating at the 4 and 5. The pure position players are a vanishing species, IMHO.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Padrino said:
I agree with that + why I've thought of Cisco as a two guard. I am SO over the whole unudersized let's get outmuscled thing.

That said, Cisco has done alright at SF thus far. Well, I should say no worse there than he has done at OG. If he could add a few pounds while maintaining his athleticism he could be legit there. Until that time though there are SFs out there who are simply too big for him to handle. Odom is a SF. Artest is a SF. Lewis is a SF. Hedo is a SF. LeBron is a SF. These are big strong men, not scrawny string beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.