• Salmons 21pts first half, 0pts 2nd half

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • After BJax ejected, we're outscored 70-40

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Beno 4pts 5 TOs

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Outrebounded 59-38

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Salmons shoots 8-17, rest of team 16-59 (27.1%)

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Um...I really am over my quota of blowout inspired pretty girl themes around here. So, with the anticipation of many a blowout to come, I have decided I needed somehting to mix in (the contention that I was somehow going to run out of pretty girls is ludicrous however (ha!)...just trying not to make these threads female-proof). The pretty girls wil be back...maybe soon. But the way the Kings are playing they were threatening to become a nightly event.

In any case, so my second approach here will get me through at least 5 blowouts this year itself. Seemed an appropriate approach with our team paying nightly homage to the bad ole days teams -- a trip down memory lane. The first edition: Top 10 Centers In Sacramento King History

Cisco ( C ) -- got off to the slow start, maybe containing Roy a bit but delivering nothing on the other side as Salmons was pretty much a one man gang. But with John disappearing after half, it was Cisco who stepped up and scored almost all of our points in the third. Good for Cisco. Bad sign for us. Cisco isn't that level of scorer. Legs looked shot late as everything was off the front of the rim and whatever defense may have been played early was done as well.

#1 Vlade Divac
Career Stats
With Kings: 99-04
Best Year With The Kings: 98-99 14.3pts 10.0reb 4.3ast 0.8stl 1.0blk 3.5flops
Of course everybody loves Vlade and we are in fact set to retire his number here in a few months. One of the more unselfish and lovable characters to pass through the NBA landscape and teamed with Webb to change, well, basically everything around here. We owe him a debt of gratitude. But when he ranks #1 on a list of your franchise's greatest centers...that's not a great sign. In fact as I parsed through our history, 12 and 9 type guys were basically our high end.

Hawes ( C+ ) -- struggled yet again with his offense, the shots are just not falling from anywhere. Was sloppy, and the boardwork was shoddy to say the least as we got squashed in there. But the one thing he did do was challenge Aldridge with his length, and came up with three early blocks as Aldrige chose to try to go right at him, finishing with 5 for the game. And so as it often is with Hawes, a tough grade. he almost always seems to contribute with something, but those somethings are sometimes, as is the case here, just islands awash in a sea of poop. How far do 5 blocks carry you on a poor night otherwise (and a night where you had the worst +/- on the team to boot)? Eh...at least he competed.

#2 Brad Miller
Career Stats
With Kings: 03-08
Best Year With The Kings: 03-04 14.1pts 10.3reb 4.3ast 0.9stl 1.2blk
So yes, Brad's time here is now drawing to a close, and no there has been little enough glory during his years in the middle, but such is the state of the Kings' history at center that not only is he our second best ever at the position, but there weren't even any real competitors. And yes if those best year stats look almost identical to Vlade's best year, its because they almsot are. Both guys came in, had their best year, and then started the slow decline.

Miller ( D ) -- quiet first half with limited minutes due to foul trouble -- and Mikki "The Worm" Moore's board dominance of course. there was no oomph or plan of attack, and Brad was barely involved. Oden continues to look sporadically clumsy against him, but sporadically clumsy to the tune oi doubling him up in virtually every stat in even fewer minutes. And then you throw in old Brad nightmare Pryzbilla, and the Blazers centers combined for 15pts 24rebs 3 blks in 43 minutes. Ours...cotnributed somewhat less.

#3 Spencer Hawes
Career Stats
With Kings: 07-08
Best Year With The Kings: 08-09 12.0pts 7.3reb 1.7ast 0.8stl 1.9blk
Speculative? Sure. But given what fills out the rest of this top ten, I felt almost no guilt at prematurely placing Spencer in the #3 slot. Heck, he doesn't even have to do that much to eventually become #1. In any case, at this point he's just another of our 12pt 8reb type centers, but he's also only 20. So I'm going to put him in this slot on talent alone, and even if he never gets any better if he stays healthy and has a reasonable tenure with the Kings I think he earns it.

Salmons ( B- ) -- came out just ridiculously hot, and had something like 16 points by the end of the first quarter, including 12 of our first 14 on 6 of 6 shooting. It was up to 21 by half, but he seemed to be laboring and I wondered how long it was going to take people to notice that his hot streak had concealed pathetic play by virtually anybody else. Once he cooled off....and that was pretty much the way it went. He ran out of gas, Brandon Roy never did, and we got blown out again. ANd boy did he run out of gas -- like Al Jefferson the night before, John came up with 21pts before the break, and a big fat zero after it. Meanwhile Roy himself exploded, and other than Cisco briefly coming to life to replace Salmons in the early third, nobody on the Kings even got anything at all going. Two double figure scorer. It was a great hot streak though. But a great streak in the first quarter does not a full game make. Or a blowout stave off.

#4 LaSalle "Tank" Thompson
Career Stats
With Kings: 85-89
Best Year With The Kings: 88-89 15.0pts 9.1reb 1.0ast 1.0stl 1.3blk
In the long ago days before becoming a doofy halftime announcer this was the Sacramento Kings' first center, and already we have reached the level of a guy who could not consistently hold down the starting spot, although some of that was not his fault but ratehr our disastrous pick of Joe Kleine (not making this list) as our first draft pick, and subsequent attempts to justify it by playing him. Tank was shortish but a powerfully built broad shouldered board muncher, and the antithesis of all the softish little no muscle definition finesse centers we've trotted through in the decade of Princetoning.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Udrih ( D- ) -- sloppy early trying to make passes that weren't there, turnovers got him repalced by Bobby Brown in the mid quarter. Brought him back in the second to no effect. Started off the third quarter playing a little better, but that soon faded away too. Could not hit his hsots, threw the ball all over the gym. If last night's 4pts 3ast was maybe a little deceptive, this night's 4pts 4ast 5TO was not.

#5 Olden Polynice
Career Stats
With Kings: 94-98
Best Year With The Kings: 96-97 12.5pts 9.4reb 2.2ast 0.6stl 1.0blk
On tenure and consistent stats O.P. could have been #4 here, or even #3 if not for the Hawes speculation (Hawes has afterall proven nothing beyond that he can play pretty well for 6 weeks). But the thing was that O.P. is persona non grata. A man who was less than his numbers because he was always just playing for his numbers. A twitchy personality who would go on to become infamous for impersonating a police officer and trying to arrest people. Had a great body for the job, and when focused could seriously crunch the glass, but he wasn't going to defend, and was more interested in shoulder shakes and dance moves as we were getting blown out than he ever was about winning. So he slides to #5 on the list.

Brown ( C+ ) -- first off the bench with the early Beno struggles (and we saw how long the Natt calm lasted in the face of our return to incompetence wiht his first quick hook). And Bobby came off the bench firing in support of Salmons in the early going -- and we were such a one man team on offense at that point that they were just about the only ones scoring. briefly it looked like maybe we would have a second gun. But was not to be. Brown cooled off dramatically and was at best indifferent running the team as our offense began to fall apart (note it was never actually together aside from Salmons). The late minutes were nothing much to talk about either. gets some grade here for that first burst at a time when there still was hope.

#6 Scot Pollard
Career Stats
With Kings: 99-03
Best Year With The Kings: 01-02 6.4pts 7.1reb 0.7ast 0.8stl 1.0blk
With a scrum of guys who should never be on any franchise's Top 10 list coming up next, I went with the one who meant the most to us. Not even a starter, but then again, the other guys never should have been either, and the wacky samurai at least entertained and gave interior toughness to a team in need of it.

Moore ( B- ) -- came in ahead of JT off of the bench, and Bricklayer is already steaming a bit behind the ears at Coach Natt. But it might have been simply who he replaced -- Natt seems to be working on a primitive one starter for one backup substitution pattern right now up front, and Mikk8 is the backup center behind Brad. JT is the backup PF behind Hawes, and that's just that. And Mikki came in and once again put together some uncharacteristic boardwork. Flat out dominating the offensive glass for a stretch, and even getting his twiggy body in there to help on the D-boards. Also played pretty good position defense, although mostly against the even softer Channing Frye. Did nothing offensively, and his second half minutes were refeshingly empty to lower this one back down into a more typical Mikki grade.

#7 Duane Causewell
Career Stats
With Kings: 90-97
Best Year With The Kings: 91-92 8.0pts 7.3reb 0.7ast 0.6stl 2.7blk
Seizing this spot on tenure as much as anything, Duane always got a bad rap from fans for being not so bright. Well, ok, he actually wasn't very bright so maybe it wasn't such a bad rap. But as the only King in 25 years who could block a shot who we did not immediately trade away for his offense (you listening Spencer, watch it!), I have a soft spot for Causey. Of course the blocks were exaggerated because of that nasty habit he had of trying to block anything and everything and constantly leaving his man and rebounding position to do it, but hey, at least he tried.

Thomspon ( D ) -- starting to struggle a bit now -- another first half stint where he was in there working hard, but just not quite able to outbattle the big Blazers centers for boards, and contiunued to struggle finishing his inside shots. This time it was 0pts 1reb on 0-3 shooting at the half. After half he provided a few defensive moments, but the offensive struggles continued even right through the garbage minutes against the Blazers scrubs (to whatever degree they even havce scrubs), and he wasn't aware of where Blazers defenders were coming from and turned the ball over repeatedly. Meanwhile lost the hustle/muscle battle against big ole Pryz all night long. Just a struggle.

#8 Jim Petersen
Career Stats
With Kings: 88-89
Best Year With The Kings: 88-89 10.2pts 6.3reb 1.2ast 0.7stl 1.0blk
Kind of what you would get if Scot Pollard and Chris Mihm had a child (which would also cause some frantic updating of anatomy books), with this blast from the past I had to decide whether he was truly a C or a PF. But the cubbard is getting beyond bare at the center spot, and he played at least as much of C for us during that turbulent year (we traded Tank (C) midyear for Wayman(PF), and traded Pinckney (PF) for Ainge (OG) and Lohaus (PF/C). In any case, this was one of the two pieces we blew Otis Thorpe to acquire (I remember groaning even then at the quantity over quality justification made at the time -- when will we ever learn?). He had been the third big in Houston, the guy who backed up both of the original Twin Towers, and had played that backup role well. But he was nobody's starter and only lasted one year before we shipped him off to Golden State to bring back an even bigger mistake -- the guy he formerly backed up, Ralph Sampson, and his ruined knees.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Jackson ( F ) -- No idea what to say here, was just bizarre. Was in and playing almost the entire second quarter in place of Cisco, who was largely ineffective. But was ineffective himself, missing his shots and strugling with his ballhandling. And then just lost it. Have no idea really why. Tried to drive, missed the shot, may have got bonked on the head -- was hard to tell but acted like it. And then he pops up, gets i the official's face, gets a technical, and you are thinking, oh that's bright Bobby, but he doesn;t shut up. Goes back at the official, and just like that Bobby Jackson gets himself randomly tossed from the second quarter of a fairly close game. Really gave the Blazers a boost too -- momentum was already swinging their way, but wiht the technicals, with a little help from Douby, with the momentum, and wiht abig dose of Brandon Roy they just blew out ahead to a 12pt halftime lead and never looked back. Certainly can't blame a 30pt blowout on one guy getting tossed in the first half, but jeesh. Nor was his quote in the paper reassuring either -- no contrition, just "a man's gotta do" stuff.

#9 Pervis Ellison
Career Stats
With Kings: 89-90
Best Year With The Kings: 89-90 8.0pts 5.8reb 1.9ast 0.5stl 1.7blk
Of course a widely mocked and reviled name in these parts, but let me tell you something: we gave up on him too soon. One year? For a 20 year old rookie? Anwyay, this position is based on his production during an injury wracked disappointment of a rookie campaign where he only played in 34 games. And this was an era where rookies routinely joined their teams and stepped right in as major starters. But he still had more talent than maybe anybody on this list beyond the top three, although he was always going to be undersized for a C and probably should have been a PF. Two years after we traded him he averaged 20pts 11rebs and 3blks for Washington. Fortunately, for us, not him, his injury problems cropped back up in a big way and kept us from compounding our embarrassment for having to explain trading away a 20-10 guy for Bobby Hansen and Eric Leckner.

Greene ( D ) -- again not in until the second half of the second quarter, and this time did not do much with it. Bricked a wide open three, and then got roasted when he ended up having to try to guard Brandon Roy. Led to the reappearance of Salmons. With another blowout in the works (this time in the other direction), once again got long minutes in the garbagetime, but it was the inconsistency thing again. He tantalizes here and there, but seems adept at throwing up a whole of nothing his very next game to squash any momentum. Actually, he didn't throw up a whole of nothing, because this time it was back to his univolved non-shooting. Hard to figure out.

#10 Michael "Yogi" Stewart
Career Stats
With Kings: 97-98
Best Year With The Kings: 97-98 4.6pts 6.6reb 0.9ast 0.4stl 2.4blk
A fan favorite in our most miserable year before this one, the local kid (he was from Sacramento playing for his home town) made good storyline obscured the fact he just wasn't very good. He was extremely undersized (a PF at best), had no offensive talent at all, but he tried hard, which set him apart from the incumbent starter (O.P.), and he blocked shots. Which like Pervis Ellison, Greg Ostertag, Keon Clark etc. meant that we had to instantly get rid of him after one season. Of course given the stupid contract Toronto threw at him, it was the right thing to do.

Douby ( C- ) -- in for a few minutes at the end of the first half after BJax got himself tossed. Forced a drive to get to the foul line, then just kept on forcing. Returned for the late garbagetime (Natt again played several vets deep into it for whatever reason), but was too traumatized to try anymore shots and did little other than pass the ball around the perimeter.

Williams ( B ) -- in for the back half of the garbage period, and scored well if nothing else. In fact his late hoops were about the only thing that kept this one from being a 40pt historic type meltdown. But did little else to go along with the points, and grabbed no rebounds at all.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Great Moments in Sacramento Kings Regular Season History Themes?
Thats just too depressing.

Unless if by 'great' you (sarcastically) mean the 90's teams moments that would very *possibly* make this team look half-way decent.

Then it's a good idea!
;)

1. 4th game in 5 nights.
2. No depth.
3. Missing your only star.
4. New coach.
5. Potential Elite opponent who is great at home.
6. On the road.

How does any of that not add up to a blowout?

I watched the latter half of the game and you could see. Shots were flat, rebounds has no legs. I swear I even saw Garcia grip onto the padding under the basket to keep from passing out.

The Kings had a 10x better chance of winning against the Lakers in LA than this game tonight.

1. 4th game in 5 nights.
2. No depth.
4. New coach.
6. On the road.

I watched the latter half of the game and you could see. Shots were flat, rebounds has no legs. I swear I even saw Garcia grip onto the padding under the basket to keep from passing out.

The Kings had a 10x better chance of winning against the Lakers in LA than this game tonight.
Agreed, but look at the first quarter. While difficult it IS possible to play 3 other quarters like that. Among pretty much every other negative stat, the Kings are NOT consistent with effort.

1. 4th game in 5 nights.
2. No depth.
4. New coach.
6. On the road.

1. Add in home team on a 3 game losing streak. 2 of which were close losses to opponents they should beat.

2. Losing their last two home games as well.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Agreed, but look at the first quarter. While difficult it IS possible to play 3 other quarters like that. Among pretty much every other negative stat, the Kings are NOT consistent with effort.

Some of that may have to do with losing steam though. I mean, we DID hold them to only .414 fg% and only .267 from beyond the arc (best 3 pt defense of the year!!!?)

Problem was our offense was atrocious (.316) and we got destroyed on the boards. That can be attributed to fatigue. I mean, I saw JT alone lose about 3 or 4 gimme boards that he'd have probably brought down if rested more.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings played with effort. They obviously ran out of gas. And they just didn't play with smarts -- lot of one on one basketball. Not finding the open man.

Status
Not open for further replies.