[Grades] Grades v. Blazers 1/23/12

Which one King from last year would you most like to see in a Kings uni right now?

• Beno Udirh

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Carl Landry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samuel Dalembert

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Omri Casspi

• Jermaine Taylor

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Luther Head

• Pooh Jeter

• Darnell Jackson

• Antoine Wright

• Total voters

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That was just depressing, as in it wasn't even as if you could see any way for us to win that game.

Some points of interest;

-- Reke looked exhausted, and Felton on him man to man and Wallace flying around operating as a personal shotblocker whenever he got near the rim left him with no answers.
-- we took Jimmer off the ball, let him just concentrate on what he does well, i.e. the shooting, and he shot well, and aside from getting yanked for defensive issues only had one or two of the really struggling mistakes. Good way to consolidate the Memphis game, and maybe the way to go in the future, although there are less minues behind Thornton than there were behind Salmons.
-- our rebounding woes came home to roost. At the end of the third quarter the Blazers had more offensive boards than we did defensive boards (otherwise known as not a good sign). Cousins was all alone out there. Reke was the #2 rebounder with 5 until Jason picked some up late in the 4th. Donte, Salmons, Cisco, Jimmer and Outlaw combined for 3 rebounds in 94 minutes. Jimmer and Cisco grabbed 0 each.

Another note: the Kings are 6-12. That's not good. but consider:
-- the Kings lead the WC in road games, with 11. That's tied with Chicago for the league lead.
-- nthe Kings are 4-3 in home games. Only 2-9 on the road.
-- of the Kings 18 games, 13 have come against teams with winning records, only 5 have come against teams with losing records
-- the Kings are 3-2 in the games against teams with losing records, 3-10 vs. the teams with winning records
-- we may not be much good, but we haven't exactly had many chances to test ourselves against fellow bad teams, or at home. Since we have winning records in both those situations we might start looking a lot better once the schedule lets us up off the mat. 8 of our 13 opponents in February are losing teams, although some of those are on another long 6 game road trip. We have a 9 game home stand in March featuring more bad teams than good. Maybe we just need to weather the storm.

So for a theme tonight I think I'll go ahead and do the second half of the Kings dance team, if we haven't disbanded that group yet since we are never home and they never get to perform.

Boxscore

Greene ( C ) -- there were things I wanted to like about Donte's game all night. Thought it was the right lineup choice to throw him out there given Wallace's dominance over us last time (actually given anything -- he would be my choice our of available guys). And early on he was doing things to try to justify that selction. Used his size on Wallace on defense, and did a nice job fighting Aldridge off in the post too. Another thing that has been going on all season with him is that Donte seems to have gone off this offseaaon and just matured 10 years when it comes to running the break. Last year we already got a taste of him being our best finisher in the open court, but this season its just been night and day with his decisionmaking, and far from just being a finisher, he's been leading ab unch of breaks and making smart unselfish passes to finish them off. Did that several times again tonight, although on one of them he nearly cost us Cousins for an extended period when he threw up an alley oop for the big guy, and Cousins landed on Gerald Wallace and buckled his ankle (which was fortunate really, because I was initally scared about the knee). But for all the good things, two things really defined this one. First, his rebounding regressed, nd yes it was against Wallace who is one of the league's best, but that's precisely why it was the wrong time to fall back amongst the non-rebounders lie Cisco and Salmons and Jimmer. We got killed ont he glass. Second, and more memorably, its in the new CBA somewhere that Kings SFs can not and will not hit their shots, and so Donte cheerfully complied, going 0-4 from 3ptland, and until a late burst running the floor, only getting a coupld of hoops all night right at the rim. There were several dumb 1 on 1 type forced shots in there, but he also simply missed the open one he, and we as a team, just desperately need to hit. Since he couldn't, the grade is capped.

Kelly -- ok ok, so its a swimsuit shot. I didn't order it, nor did I photograph it. I'm just spreading it around to make sure they got their money's worth.

Thompson ( C ) -- ineffective in the early going again as it all seems like a case of deja vu for Jason, going from valued roleplayer and then stringing together inconsistent games as a flailing schmuck until finally the coaches lose confidence and he loses his spot once more. Drives you batty because you know he can be the good roleplayer when his brain isn't misfirng. In any case, wrong guy to have in a game with the referees trying to out whistle each other throughout the first half, and fouls, as well as just general ineffectiveness limited his minutes until late in the game. Was willing to move the ball, but was all thumbs again inside, and continues to cost guards assists with his trademarked drop-the-pass and blow-the-layup maneuvers, after which of course he normally scoops up the rebounds and throws them up again. Was better late than early finally settling into some nice roleplayer minutes in the 4th, moving without the ball, finally giving Cousins a little help n the glas etc. But too little too late.

Michelle -- unfortunately if you want to hang with here you are going to have to put up with Keeping Up With The Kardashians on the TV.

Cousins ( B ) -- keeps on chugging. In no sense a spectacular effort, but another physical one in there virtually alone on the glass (one of our bright points is obviosuly that DeMarcus is 6th in the league in rebounding, and 3rd in the league in per minute rebounding -- he's a first rate board monster). Got Camby out of there early when he drew a charge on him, but the offense was scrufy and off and on. Some of that is on him (his first response to getting rid of Camby was to airball a jumper) but some of that is on us as we never got it to him down inside in any sort of consistent rhtyhm. Had some moments physically overwhelming greybeard, and a big dunk down the lane just before half, but also had some surprising batles with Craig Smith, who he didn't seem to be able to stop, and things got real physical in there with multiple muggings, a weak flagrant foul called on Thomas on one of them etc. as the stubby Smith/Thomas duo started doing its best Danny Fortson/Reggie Evans tag team bump and thump imitation. DeMarcus did well to keep his cool though, bounced back from a scary moment when he twisted his ankle coming down from an alley oop, and aside from going all Dwight Howard from the line (shot 4-10 and was more visibly frustrated about that than anything else) banged his way to a solid game (you know a guy is good when you start saying things like 18 and 13 is a "solid" game for a guy). Never a huge impact though, and never felt like he was in danger of turnign this one for us. Just was always there chugging away and keeping us rolling forward while the little guys all took turns struggling at this or that.

Wendy -- I just thought this shot was interesting, because is that just a pose/costume, or does that mean she is a dancer who also just picked up a degree in Biomedical Engineeering? That would be impressive, but instead in her bio information you can find out what the last movie she watched was (Captain America) and who she thinks her best dressed teammate is.

Salmons ( D+ ) -- almost an incomplete as he didn't do enough good or terrible to really get much hold on. Was missing his early shots, and stopped the ball several times to do it, but not all his fault as he was up against the clock on some of them. We were playing pretty tough defense to start the game, butour backcourt in particular seemd to run out of legs, and while starting John at SG seemed like a good idea he maybe just had nothing left after the sickness.

Lauren

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( D ) -- put up a respectable 9pts 4reb 3ast statline in the first half, but it was never that strong. Felton was making it hard early, and you could just see that Reke didn't have that bounce in his legs from the beginning. Out of control on his drives as he was trying to force things that weren't there, and was dogged by Gerald Wallace all nitth long swopping over to erase his layups and chase him down on the break -- 10 years later and that guy is still just an incredibly intimidating athlete. Hit another halfcourt shot to beat the halftime buzzer, which you hoped rather than truly thought might give us some momentum going into the third. Just ran out of energy after the break and never effective in the second half. Was briefly returned to action late in the game when Jimmer was subbed out for being a traffic cone on defense, but didn't really seem to really want to be there and barely touched the ball. Hopefully that was just the IT effect -- the little guy can give you a boost but he often does it by thinking he's still in college, completely dominating the ball, and kind of doing his own thing while his backcourt mates are spectators.

Tyler -- hey, one of the ladies in uniform even

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Fredette ( B- ) -- well, a minor bright point in this one is that we managed to consolidate Jimmer's shooting from the other night with a theory that we may be able to go back to in the future -- namely we just took him off the ball and let him concentrate on shooting, and that he did very well. No more struggling to bring it up, dribbling into traps, only one notably bad pass etc. Just catch and shoot. And he looked much more comfortable and like an NBA player out there as a result. Reke found him multiple times in the first half, when Jimmer seemed to have stepped back an extra step from the 3pt line to get more space, and finshied a tough +1 on the break. Actually he didn't finish the +1 because he missed the FT, but he finished the layup despite getting set to the ground. His one notably bad pass came at a bad time as we were hanging around about 14 down, then the Blazers took the bad pass back the other way to drain a three and put us back down 17 again. Stab in the heart. But really that wasn't his role tonight, and Reke and IT did the vast majority of the handling and passing. Kept Jimmer out of trouble, and his threes were little oasis in the middle of an ocean of bad shooting for us. Now what did hurt again was the defense, where I don't know what the answer is. Was too small to guard Matthews early, got beat again and again by Felton late, leading to a late reinsertion of Reke to steady things. And the real problem is that on one of those Felton takes Jimmer did everything right -- called a screen out for Cisco, followed Felton out to the perimeter, broke down into a stance...and then got whipped anyway because he was neither quick enough nor strong enough to stop the move when it came. That's a problem. You can correct bad fundamentals or effort, and you can have an area where you are weak on defense, but you can't be too small, too weak, and lacking in quickness all at once. If you can't guard SGs because of size/strength, and you can't guard PGs because of quickness...we gotta find him matchups he can handle without dropping into a zone everytime. But at least the shooting is coming online.

Tammier

Garcia ( B ) -- ineffective before halftime doing that invisible roleplayer thing which is much more amusing when anybody else on the bleeping team can hit a shot. Switched up roles after half, and was much more effective. Good drive and pass to Hickson for a dunk in the mid third, and gave us maybe the longest sustained hot offensive streak of our night in the late 3rd and early 4th as he strarted draining threes, walked in along the baseline when the Blazers ignored him etc. In fact throw he and Jimmer in together and we had a full fledged Kevin Martin out there, in 45 minutes providing 25points 0rebs 3ast and no defense. Actually that's not fair in Cisco's case. He wasn't terrible defensively, just you would not have known he was out there and physically he's a chew toy for Wallace.

Danielle

Outlaw ( INC ) -- bad hands blowing a perfectly set up interior pass from Reke that would have been a dunk. And just continuing to refuse to play in rhythm. Catches the ball, hesitates, dribbles 6-8 feet into no-mans land, hesitates, pulls up with a man near him and throws up a crappy jumper. Why so many of our guys make things so hard on themselves I wil never know. Needless to say Smart didn't feel the need to see anymore of that after half.

Lynsy -- former naughty cheerleader in another life?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Hickson ( C- ) -- not effective early, but did hit two randomly spaced shots to help a little. In in the third, hustled for a lose bal steal, but then got selfish on the break and in the end it cost us a golden opportuntiy as we came up empty. Not sure what to make of Hickson sometimes. There is talent there , sometimes. And athleticism, sometimes. But it jsut seems to add up to less than the sum of its parts.

Katerina

Thomas ( B- ) -- just got run over by Craig Smith in an early game rebounding battle. Smith then threw up his hands and said who me? Would have been a nice run block by the left tackle clearing out the cornerback though. Isiah will scrap thoguh, and finished with as many rebounds as Donte, Cisco, Jimmer, Outlaw and Salmons combined. Still a little confused about who he can or can't shoot over (hint Isiah, Camby = a NOT), but doing a nice job of spotting open Kings when the Blazers made defensive mistakes. Not the answer to the Jamal Crawford question, on defense, but then again when Crawford has one of hos hot games nobdoy in the league is. We've got to do something about the offensive scheme that repeatedly ends up with Thomas having to hit a corner three, because he largely can't. He finally hit a three off his dribble in the last minute to go 1-5 on the night, and something like 1 for his last 16 overall. With Reke ineffective we largely just turned the team over ot IT for the final 18 minutes of the gme or so, and he did a pretty good job findihng people. Coudl not hit a hit again as his shooting percentage is hovering at a dangerous to his future in the league .301, but he competed and hit guys when they were open,m which is not nothing for us. Late in the 4th great job coming up with a defenisve board and then jumping in the air to throw a fullcourt pass to a sreaking Donte.

Last edited:
This team will never be good until
a) Smart stops playing salmons, or we trade him
b) Outlaw is gone
c) Jimmer gets sent down to D-league so he can get his confidence and stroke back.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This was just a teaser game where it seemed they might make a run but there was no way of that happening since Blazers pretty much shot 60+ percent probably in the 4th quarter and if they miss, rebound. I liked Donte starting and Salmons barely playing, so that was great to see. I don't quite understand why Reke is so up and down, we just don't know which Reke we will get night in and night out and that is unacceptable. At least with Cousins he is more than likely going to give you a double double.

This team will never be good until
a) Smart stops playing salmons, or we trade him
b) Outlaw is gone
c) Jimmer gets sent down to D-league so he can get his confidence and stroke back.
Agree with A and B, but not C. Jimmer's confidence should be higher than ever after these last two games where he's shot pretty well. Sending him to the D-League will only hurt his confidence.

The blazers sleepwalked through this game and still were up by 20. This "team" is not a team, but a bunch of young mercenaries with no grasp of the concept of team basketball. When was the last time Cousins past out of the post? When our 3 main players are ball stoppers, all that does is encourage the role players to do the same when they get the ball, because they know they might not see the ball again for minutes. Also why does Tyreke show up for one game and play like a star, and then looks like a ghost on other nights, im starting to question his passion for the game, guys like Kobe or Chris Paul play intense basketball whether they are playing well or not. When Tyreke is on he looks amazing, when hes off he looks like a high schooler was dropped into the pro game. Im in so cal so i watch alot of Lakers and Clippers game, Kobe is vicious whether hes shooting well or not, Chris Paul always looks pissed and gives it 110% every night, these guys hate to lose. Tyreke looks like he loves playing when things are going well for him, but at the first sign of resistance, curls up into a ball.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

The blazers sleepwalked through this game and still were up by 20. This "team" is not a team, but a bunch of young mercenaries with no grasp of the concept of team basketball. When was the last time Cousins past out of the post? When our 3 main players are ball stoppers, all that does is encourage the role players to do the same when they get the ball, because they know they might not see the ball again for minutes. Also why does Tyreke show up for one game and play like a star, and then looks like a ghost on other nights, im starting to question his passion for the game, guys like Kobe or Chris Paul play intense basketball whether they are playing well or not. When Tyreke is on he looks amazing, when hes off he looks like a high schooler was dropped into the pro game.
Note we notched our season high in assists tonight. Think that might be two nights in a row actually. We ran an offense...badly. Wasn't much 1 on 1 to this loss, at elast compared to early in the season.

There was a lot of bad offense and 1 on 1 actually. Early on, it was the same pass it around and try to beat your man sort of deal. Eight of the team's assists come from IT off the bench.

Yeah, the offense is coming together finally, but, as it's coming together more and more I'm afraid of what it's revealing. As the team as a whole begins to solidify Evans is the one that looks more and more uncomfortable. I hope Evans gets it together but it's like a tug of war between two sides sometimes. Evans seems to like that erratic free flow, up and down whatever you call it but Cousins as a big needs to be given the ball by the one handling it and when he has it he needs the context of a set offense just like any other post big. Way too early to do anything obviously but this is a situation that needs to be monitored by Geoff Petrie for sure.

Ecclesiates 4:12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken
Except when you're playing a zone ;) . The Kings seemed to follow this scripture because they were doubling and tripling in a zone! What the heck are you doing! You don't double in a zone....

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I can't believe I paid more than I ever have for a Kings game ever to see that in person.

DMC is awesome. The rest. uggh. F-

Very frustrating loss. Every time this team takes a step forward they then take two steps back. I guess that's what bad teams do but man, this **** is getting really old. The excuses have passed their expiration date. No one (at least no sane person) expects this group to win the championship, or even make the playoffs, but for crying out loud, these ugly blowouts HAVE TO stop. There's no reason this group shouldn't be able to at least play .400 ball and be competitive most nights. I don't care who you have to start, either. If you have to bench Tyreke, Salmons, or Thornton to get a starting lineup that gels, then DO IT! No one one this team has proven Jack **** other than DMC.

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

johnhollinger John Hollinger
Blazers win 101-89. Crowd goes crazy as Luke Babbitt hits a "chalupa" 3-pointer while Cousins contests shot from the charge circle.

this is funny!!!

at times this team looks like a d league team, not talent wise, but on a d league team its basically a bunch of mercenaries trying to show nba scouts what they can do, we look like a bunch of young talent playing for a contract. which essentially they are, other than salmons, thornton, outlaw and hayes. yet even 3 of these guys are blackholes at heart. so you surround young guys trying to find their nba game, with 3 blackholes offensively, that sound like good teambuilding.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
johnhollinger John Hollinger
Blazers win 101-89. Crowd goes crazy as Luke Babbitt hits a "chalupa" 3-pointer while Cousins contests shot from the charge circle.

this is funny!!!
Oh brother, let me tell you, the crowd was getting VERY ancy about their Chalupas. And when I left some guy was screaming at an arena person claiming he didn't get his Chalupa coupon. Good lord.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't watch the game. I see the same comments I saw early in the season about selfishness. Early in the season many games had less than 10 assists game. The comments about selfishness were backed up by the stats. This game had 23 assists. My question is really quite obvious. Is this really the same selfish team we saw early in the season or are the signs of improvement?

I don't need to be told how bad this team is as I know it is a bad team. That's not news nor particularly clever to point out. As the stats for this game seemed to show improvement, is there not improvement? With a bad team, for me anyway, improvement is about all I can hope for.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't watch the game. I see the same comments I saw early in the season about selfishness. Early in the season many games had less than 10 assists game. The comments about selfishness were backed up by the stats. This game had 23 assists. My question is really quite obvious. Is this really the same selfish team we saw early in the season or are the signs of improvement?

I don't need to be told how bad this team is as I know it is a bad team. That's not news nor particularly clever to point out. As the stats for this game seemed to show improvement, is there not improvement? With a bad team, for me anyway, improvement is about all I can hope for.
There are definite signs of improvement. There is reason for hope.

:)

S

sactownfan

There are definite signs of improvement. There is reason for hope.

:)
i didn't watch it but i can see a difference in the stats as well as the descriptions from you guys here... it does seem like this team is getting some kinda of a "makes logical sense" flow on offense... I'm encouraged by Jimmer not handling the ball and hitting shots as well as Cousins... and seeing how i think cousins if officially the franchise this is good. we just are gonna be out matched some nights... this teams roster just isn't gonna get it done unless we are really on some nights.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Some players passed and some players jacked up shots. Some guys were being arguably selfish but also trying to aid the team while others were just black holes where they shot every time they touched with no discernible reason and plenty of time to set up. I'm guessing some guys are just fatigued which is why we saw long stretches of bench guys trying to make a statement and falling on their faces. Still frustrating. And disappointing that we seemed to take major steps back in the personnel department and all indications are that nobody will come here.

Some players passed and some players jacked up shots. Some guys were being arguably selfish but also trying to aid the team while others were just black holes where they shot every time they touched with no discernible reason and plenty of time to set up. I'm guessing some guys are just fatigued which is why we saw long stretches of bench guys trying to make a statement and falling on their faces. Still frustrating. And disappointing that we seemed to take major steps back in the personnel department and all indications are that nobody will come here.
That's why it's time to shake things up with a big trade if this team still hasn't got their act together by the trade deadline. At this point i would trade anyone but DeMarcus Cousins to get some star power in here. The Kings probably have the assets to get Rojon Rondo if Tyreke is included in the trade.