Grades: Kings Summer League GAME 1, 7/7/17

(Scape)GOAT of the Game

• Total voters
The rookies played well.
Fox has skills in every phase of the game with both hands. He seemed comfortable shooting from 18 feet but not from three land,...yet. A great finisher with NBA quality defense. I can see him getting lots of minutes.

Kings back court looks to be in good shape for a change with Fox, Hield, Mason and later Hill.
Jackson glides around the floor with great floaters. He is the next Rudy Gay.
Skal looked much more lost than the rookies. He disapperared a lot of the time. That is concerning.
Papa indeed did not look like he would make the roster. Slow with the feet and the hands. He is a project.
Cooley out played Papa by quite a bit and he is not likely to be around either. Chriss made them both look inept.

Maybe but entirely not likely. McClatchy recently sold Bee iconic headquarters, production, parking garage on Q Street where they've been for over 50 years and now leasing the facilities. I personally know very highly paid top writer at the Bee who has been there for decades and says will likely be forced to retire soon. There have been huge number of layoffs recently and he says lots of back-biting, instability at the paper. Bee on downward spiral, losing not only subscriptions for many years but advertising revenue also now suffering. Hard to recover from such one-two punch.

OK, back to B-ball talk.
Again, I can't disagree with your forecast but when it happens it will be a very unfortunate change in our world and it won't be because I cancelled my subscription or bad-mouthed the product. Newspapers are losing customers and income and do not have a bright future. It will be us-folks that are the losers in the process.

The scores seem generous? We lost by two to one of the favorites to win Vegas Summer League and while no one was all that great no one was mindnumbingly bad.
By the way, my saying "scores seem generous" was more a rhetorical device for me to express disappointment in the play of the sophomores than it was to criticize your judgement in assigning scores... just to be clear. The grades are great and I'm grateful for the people who take time out to construct "grade threads".

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was at the game, and although I wouldn't say that Papa wasn't mind numbingly bad, he wasn't good. He was very indesisive when he got the ball, and had zero touch around the basket. He did rebound well and played decent post defense. I'll wait for game two before making any rash decisions.

I thought Fox was as advertised. \you can see the potential dripping off of him. I watched the Laker game right before the Kings game, and if I'm a laker I'd be wondering why they chose 'Ball over Fox . Ball was terrible. 2 of 15 from the floor and 0 for 8 from the three. He didn't get to the line once in the game. Mainly because he never gets into the lane. Didn't get one attempt at the basket in the entire game. Just one game, but if would be enough to be worried if I was a Laker fan. Ingram looked great, and was the best player on the floor for either team.

Justin Jackson played really well amongst the chaos. He's a very smart player who always seems to know where to be on the floor. He got taken off the dribble a couple of times, but recovered well. He has a lightning quick release. Aside from his shot not falling, I thought Buddy played well. His shots were on line, just a bit long, or a bit short. Just one of those games. I was impressed with Malachi's defense on Josh Jackson, who is one tough hombre to cover. I thought Jackson looked quick on TV, but in person, wow, he's going to be one hell of a player.

I worry about Fox's health. He looks like he needs about 15 pounds of muscle. H hurt his ankle or leg with about 8 minutes to go, but stayed in the game and actually played well despite it. It happened right before he had the inbound pass stolen, which is why it was stolen. He was looking at the bench and trying to receive the ball at the same time. Nothing serious I hope. All in all, not a bad first game. I'm hoping for a Giles sighting in the next game.
I also worry a little about Fox's health. That's why I'm not crazy about him playing a lot of minutes in his first year. As you said, he really needs to get considerably stronger, as he's in a man's league now. Kind of reminds me of Skal in that way. Lot's to like there for the future, though. Considering how dysfunctional the Kings were in general, I thought Jackson played extremely well. For a guy who is playing in his first pro game, it's easy enough to get caught up in the dysfunction of others, but Jackson just kept his poise and did his thing.

Again, I can't disagree with your forecast but when it happens it will be a very unfortunate change in our world and it won't be because I cancelled my subscription or bad-mouthed the product. Newspapers are losing customers and income and do not have a bright future. It will be us-folks that are the losers in the process.
It's a sad thing for many people - but the Bee's own doing. They do not have a "home town paper" feel at all. there is no witty, folksy, self-deprecating, genuine, empathetic voice at the Bee - hasn't been for a long time. Example - to have a Laker fan like Jason Jones as the beat writer is just BS. The beat writer should be a biased homer fan who loves the Kings. Then you've got Aileen always snarking at the coach, the players, and she's such a social media dufus sub-tweeting herself all the time.

They need a heavy duty makeover. I WANT to subscribe happily to my hometown paper. The Mountain Democrat doesn't have enough real content to satisfy me, but the Bee is just way too smug and remote. They do NOT feel like my hometown paper and I do have to admit that I wish them ill because of their editorial positions in the past (undermining Arena measures for example), their non-fan beat writer, and last but not least they ripped me off for around $22 bucks by charging me for papers they delivered after they lapsed my subscription. And.... they won't deliver to my doorstep because I'm on a rural road so they will only drop it in a box a half mile from my house.

If somebody comes along and revives the Bee, I'll be thrilled. Not holding my breath.

It's a sad thing for many people - but the Bee's own doing. They do not have a "home town paper" feel at all. there is no witty, folksy, self-deprecating, genuine, empathetic voice at the Bee - hasn't been for a long time. Example - to have a Laker fan like Jason Jones as the beat writer is just BS. The beat writer should be a biased homer fan who loves the Kings. Then you've got Aileen always snarking at the coach, the players, and she's such a social media dufus sub-tweeting herself all the time.

They need a heavy duty makeover. I WANT to subscribe happily to my hometown paper. The Mountain Democrat doesn't have enough real content to satisfy me, but the Bee is just way too smug and remote. They do NOT feel like my hometown paper and I do have to admit that I wish them ill because of their editorial positions in the past (undermining Arena measures for example), their non-fan beat writer, and last but not least they ripped me off for around $22 bucks by charging me for papers they delivered after they lapsed my subscription. And.... they won't deliver to my doorstep because I'm on a rural road so they will only drop it in a box a half mile from my house.

If somebody comes along and revives the Bee, I'll be thrilled. Not holding my breath.
Here and STR will keep anyone up to date on all team news.

Malachi, prove me wrong. He's more or less the young player that I'm wondering what the end game is at this point. A lot of ISO instinct and game

Easily the most disappointing player for me yesterday. He had looked great with the added weight and rolled up afro prior. Then he plays with his afro out again and goes on to throw up a bunch of bricks. Still can't create a shot off the dribble.

Sacramento Bee Grade F-

OMG todays sports section in todays paper has a 6x6 inch Photo of Lonzo Ball on his debut

What town do we live in? The rest of the sports section has NO COVERAGE of Fox and his debut, NO COVERAGE of our first summer league game, NO Coverage or Box Score

So Fire the Bee Sports editor for putting Lonzo on SACRAMENTO Page 1 and not anything on the Kings.

(yes I know Jason has coverage in his Blog online, BUT a Sacramento fans who are not Web people deserves
coverage in their own paper)

View attachment 6791
It's because the game ended too late and they had already gone into printing. Yes, they suck but they didn't intentionally leave out the Kings box score.

I'm hoping for a Giles sighting in the next game.
Apparently the Kings already announced that he won't play in SL. Not due to injury, but because they want to allow him more time to fully recover from the injuries he's already had. They don't want to push him too hard too early.

I thought Jackson looked quick on TV, but in person, wow, he's going to be one hell of a player.
One play I don't recall reading anybody talking about was Fox's block on Josh Jackson out at the 3 pt line. You don't see too many PG's able to do that, especially to a 6'8" player. I'm wondering if that 'lil hitch Jackson has on his shot is gonna hurt him against bigger players. It allowed the 6'4" Fox time to recover in time for the block.

I was at the game, and although I wouldn't say that Papa wasn't mind numbingly bad, he wasn't good. He was very indesisive when he got the ball, and had zero touch around the basket. He did rebound well and played decent post defense. I'll wait for game two before making any rash decisions.

I thought Fox was as advertised. \you can see the potential dripping off of him. I watched the Laker game right before the Kings game, and if I'm a laker I'd be wondering why they chose 'Ball over Fox . Ball was terrible. 2 of 15 from the floor and 0 for 8 from the three. He didn't get to the line once in the game. Mainly because he never gets into the lane. Didn't get one attempt at the basket in the entire game. Just one game, but if would be enough to be worried if I was a Laker fan. Ingram looked great, and was the best player on the floor for either team.

Justin Jackson played really well amongst the chaos. He's a very smart player who always seems to know where to be on the floor. He got taken off the dribble a couple of times, but recovered well. He has a lightning quick release. Aside from his shot not falling, I thought Buddy played well. His shots were on line, just a bit long, or a bit short. Just one of those games. I was impressed with Malachi's defense on Josh Jackson, who is one tough hombre to cover. I thought Jackson looked quick on TV, but in person, wow, he's going to be one hell of a player.

I worry about Fox's health. He looks like he needs about 15 pounds of muscle. H hurt his ankle or leg with about 8 minutes to go, but stayed in the game and actually played well despite it. It happened right before he had the inbound pass stolen, which is why it was stolen. He was looking at the bench and trying to receive the ball at the same time. Nothing serious I hope. All in all, not a bad first game. I'm hoping for a Giles sighting in the next game.
It's too bad that the Kings game didn't start before the Lakers... I bet Lakers fans would've felt a real burn after seeing what a franchise PG should look like. Lonzo was awful. Couldn't break down defenses, and when he did, he was scared to finish. Took and missed a bunch of 3s. After his 2nd missed 3, Kendall Marshall didn't even care to guard him anymore. Just went under the screen and stared at him. no words for Papa.........................................................

I've heard the announcers comment once about Papa arguing with his teammates. How was his body language on the bench? Dude needs to calm down sometimes. Attitude of DeMarcus without the talent..

Chriss is terrible man I'd hate to watch him over what we traded for. Dude lunches 3s at will and clanks them fouls routinely and has terrible body language. Always look st the ref I mean damn at least Boogie was an all world talent

Hey someone may take a shot at Cooley if he keeps it up. Someone said he was kinda like a Brockman, maybe so.

My early takeaways.

Fox, lightning fast, always talking, heard he can play some D and it sure looked like it. Looked great.

Jackson looked pretty good offensively. Looked comfortable out there.

Papa sets good screens, watch the player movement when he gets the ball, the team is rotating and he is observing and seeing the floor. That's a big deal. He isn't panicking or rushed. I think he will eventually be able to get a jumper off while being able to do this that is suitable. May need another season of development but the basic tool kit is there.

Not much else stood out to me.

the more I watch him, the more I see Tyrus Thomas Part II
I have no regrets about passing on Chriss. He'll probably become a really good player, eventually. But I dislike players who have a pouty face and wear their emotions on their sleeve. Grow up. Please.

Hey someone may take a shot at Cooley if he keeps it up. Someone said he was kinda like a Brockman, maybe so.

My early takeaways.

Fox, lightning fast, always talking, heard he can play some D and it sure looked like it. Looked great.

Jackson looked pretty good offensively. Looked comfortable out there.

Papa sets good screens, watch the player movement when he gets the ball, the team is rotating and he is observing and seeing the floor. That's a big deal. He isn't panicking or rushed. I think he will eventually be able to get a jumper off while being able to do this that is suitable. May need another season of development but the basic tool kit is there.

Not much else stood out to me.
He's 26 and been playing in the D League. Teams know who he is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With all due respect to random people on twitter, I'm trying to watch these guys through semi-objective eyes and while as Kings fans, it is our wont to see every single guy on our favorite team put up a 20-10 night, those nights are few and far between. Cs and Ds may seem too lenient but there were a lot of plays last night where if they worked out they were highlights, if they didn't, they looked like the end of the world.

This is my own personal rubric but I generally reserve Fs for when guys appear to be actively trying to suck and, on a scale of rookie year Jimmer to goddamn Lebron, the "bad" performances ranked at a solid Andres Nocioni.
I think your grades, for the most part, were spot on. Since you're the one doing this, I'd say it's your choice on what kind of criteria you use. Bottom line? THANKS for stepping up and doing it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It's because the game ended too late and they had already gone into printing. Yes, they suck but they didn't intentionally leave out the Kings box score.
IIRC, they removed the box scores from the sports section to save space. They said if you want the box scores you can go online. If I wanted to go online I wouldn't be reading the delivered paper, dumb***.

We cancelled earlier this year. I sent an email complaining about the Kings coverage, having AV and JJ cover the Kings, the fact they couldn't get the paper to land in our 20+ foot wide driveway but kept putting it in the ditch full of water along the roadway, and other things.

Here and STR will keep anyone up to date on all team news.
Sorta, if you are willing and able to sift thru the the mountains of opinion that looms over "news" in a ratio of at least 10 to 1. A similar thing can be said about the internet- the ratio of "news" to photos and videos is also at least 1 to 10. News papers win this competition by a wide margin but only if they provide the news in the first place which they used to do before readership and revenues began their steady decline.

I think Malachi will look a lot better by the end of SL. Aside from the three he nailed, his other touches came from dump passes where he was forced to create. Spacing in SL is awful and he struggled trying to make something happen. He referred to himself as "The Forgotten One" and I bet that doesn't sit well. He will get better and more comfortable playing at the 3 rather than the 2 .

Only just got round to watching the game but I felt our young players did well. Fox made some good plays and showed that explosiveness and quickness. Buddy was disappointing from 3pt range but found other ways to score. Justin Jackson shot well. Pappa grabbed those boards and Skal had his moments, and both getting 2 blocks apiece shows they've both got rim protecting potential. Overall, a decent enough start but plenty of room to improve.

The great thing about our summer league team that played against the Suns is that all but one of them (Cooley) should be on our main roster this season. At some point they might even form a starting five. So this is great experience for them playing together and getting used to each other's games in a competitive environment.