Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Z-Bo

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Malachi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ugly ugly ugly... You know what that means? Girls girls girls.

Tonight's Theme: Classy Dames

Justin Jackson (D+) -- 19 min, 5 pt, 1 rb, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 2 tov, 2 pf
Another start for Jackson meant another opportunity for him to do relatively nothing with his time. Tonight, he tried to force a couple of plays on offense and just didn't really have much push behind his shot. The corner three appears to be the most solid part of his arsenal at this point in his career but when he's not rebounding or contributing much on defense, it's hard to justify him playing with the starters.

Dame Judy Dench

Zach Randolph (C+) -- 20 min, 11 pt, 9 rb, 0 ast, 2 stl, 0 blk, 2 tov, 3 pf
Out of all of our starters, he was probably the least suckiest, which is sorta like choosing the least ugliest of a den of naked mole rats. Despite playing in high altitude on the second night of a back to back, Z-Bo was his usual plodding, inside attacking, three hitting self, with an added bonus technical foul for good measure. While he wasn't spectacular, Randolph was essentially the only Kings starter able to even get the ball to the rim for most of the game. On defense, performed okay but wasn't agile enough to impede Milsap like Willie did.

Dame Maggie Smith

Willie Caulie-Stein (C) -- 26 min, 2 pt, 8 rb, 1 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 2 pf
So this was a bit of a mixed bag performance for Willie. Like most of his teammates, Trill really really struggled on the offensive end but on defense was a bit more of a positive. Played really good man defense on Millsap whenever they were matched up and, though Jokic seemed disinterested in scoring, did his best to make life difficult for Denver's franchise centerpiece. There were times when it seemed Willie's hands were covered with lotion, causing the ball to shoot out from his clutches and into the waiting arms of a Nuggets player but he still wound up with eight boards on the night and a nifty pass off a drive to Z-Bo. On a nights of UGH! performances, this was more of an "ugh".

Dame Olivia Mary de Havilland
A latecomer to the Dame Game, de Havilland was deemed to be a damn dame at the ripe old age of 100, the oldest woman to ever be award the title. Damn, that’s an old dame!

Buddy Hield (F) -- 22 min, 3 pt, 3 rb, 3 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 2 pf
Buddy somehow managed to get threes across the board which is coincidentally the score I'd give him if these grades were being given out in via the Olympic figure skating scoring system. It was, to say the least, not a good night for Buddy, who managed to miss all of his easy shots, force a hell of a lot of ugly ones, and just kinda take up space for his stint. One positive is that he continues to show improved playmaking, somehow getting three assists despite the fact his teammates seemed to be physically sickened by the idea of scoring a basket.

Dame Ellen Patricia MacArthur
On the other end of the spectrum, sailor Ellen Patricia MacArthur was the youngest woman to ever receive the title.

George Hill (D) -- 22 min, 4 pt, 0 reb, 1 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 3 tov, 0 pf
After almost single handedly saving the game for the Kings down the stretch of last night's game, one can almost forgive Hill for having an off night in Denver. The shot just wasn't falling and passes just weren't coming off of his hand crisply. While he played typically solid defense, it was his offense that we sorely needed tonight and it was his offense that apparently missed the flight from Dallas.

Dame Julie Andrews

---
Skal Labissiere (C+) -- 25 min, 13 pt, 4 rb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, 1 tov, 3 pf
One of the few guys on the squad who was capable of dropping the ball into the hoop.

De'Aaron Fox (C+) -- 18 pt, 5 rb, 1 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 2 tov, 4 pf

Garrett Temple (C) -- 16 min, 4 pt, 1 rb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk, 2 tov, 1 pf

Kosta Koufos (C-) -- 15 min, 2 pt, 3 rb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk, 0 tov, 1 pf

Vince Carter (inc.) -- 5 min, 0 pt, 1 rb, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 0 pf
Played a short stint in the first half then realized he was too old for this crap and took a seat on the bench for the rest of the game.

Frank Mason (C) -- 17 min, 7 pt, 2 rb, 1 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 1 tov, 0 pf

Malachi Richardson (C) -- 14 min, 8 pt, 1 rb, 1 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 1 pf

JaKarr Sampson (inc.) -- 5 min, 2 pt, 1 rb, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 2 pf
Came in for garbage time as a power forward and played physically. Had a nice put back dunk.

Last edited:
This was a HARD game to watch. Everyone was terrible on offense. I think the Kings should really stop trying to use Kosta in the high-post. It's just not his game. I'd like to see more down screens to open up Skal in the low-post.

The first 3 games show us exactly why we need a #1 scorer in the next draft.. the offense goes to crumbles without a leading scorer.

Last edited:
I'm gonna reserve judgement until they play their next game back home. If they bounce back I'm just gonna chalk it up as a bad back 2 back in Denver.

Expect A lot more of the Same the next 79.
Observations:
Randolph: C_ Just getting paid. Looks slow and fat. It will take Stubborn Joerger up until the All Star break to make a change.
Hill: C Is going to have nights like this. He’s smart, steady, and stable. But, rarely is he going to light up the sky. He looked good against a Bottom 5 Dallas team last night. He will not win you many games and will not be the cause of losing games.
Jackson: D Game looks too fast and complex for him at this point. A transition to the D league is what he needs.
Skal: C- Shows flashes. Nothing consistent.
Koufas: D Doesn’t really mesh with the new offensive philosophy and the types of players on the roster.
Temple: C Cannot rely on him for much offense. Strictly a D player.
WCS: C Resorting back to this usual self. Even though, he did play some decent D, as times.
Hield: D Cannot create, does not have a lot of moves, and is very, very hot and cold. Tonite it was all the later.

Fox: B+ The only real hope of this team really having a go to, star potential type player. Should be starting by the All Star break and getting 30 plus minutes. No excuses. I am holding on to Giles being another find. It would be nice to see Giles in the lineup around the ASB, as well.

The best case scenario is: Fox, GIles are the anchors of this team next year. The Kings also need another Top5 pick in the worst way.

I'm gonna reserve judgement until they play their next game back home. If they bounce back I'm just gonna chalk it up as a bad back 2 back in Denver.
I would not reserve any judgement on playing 2 of the worst teams in the league.(Dallas and Phoenix) Kings are no better than Dallas(Without Dennis Smith in that game) and really no better talent wise than the Suns. Booker is still better than any player on the entire Kings roster.

Kings do not have the talent to beat any quality playoff teams. That has been proven already.

The biggest issue tonight was guys missingredients shots. They are going to be sloppy on offense while they figure out how to work together, but no team can overcome that kind of shooting. I think more practice time and more experience will fix some of the struggles, but this is what you get when you have so many young guys getting minutes.

The biggest difference between Fox and the two other guys that were pronounced to be franchise players before him are IQ/motor he destroys both Cousins and Tyreke in both those key categories kid barring injury should be a absolute beast.

If the Nuggets are looking to still move Faried I would have him on this squad any day as a roll guy for Fox, we really need to completely phase out KK from the rotation and Buddy really has to start giving us something on offense cause he does nothing else.

Fox should probably be starting, Hill has always been at his best as the 2nd playmaker on a team (Hayward/George despite being wings were the main playmakers) and would slide into the SG spot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
After seeing this game, I couldn't help wondering if the Kings are in good shape. A lot of talk around the league about a shortened training camp period and guys not being in shape. Kings looked like it tonight. No zip in their step, beat on the boards, no legs in their shots, and of course, being a mile high added to it.

Other than Fox, I haven't seen much fast breaking from this team. I guess it's the downside of having the older vets play more minutes. In the first three games I can't recall seeing one good outlet pass from one of our bigs to a wing running up the floor. Has there been one? Without more fast breaks it looks like it might be tough on Buddy getting open shots. He's having problems getting shots on his own and as of yet he hasn't learned how to move very well without the basketball to get open. He needs more easy looks to get some shots to go down and get his confidence back. This team needs Buddy to make shots to have much of a chance of winning. Having Bogs in the lineup wouldn't hurt either.

The more minutes for Skal, the better. I'd actually like to see him play enough to get tired so he doesn't think so much out there. The best play of the night was when he was facing the basket on the wing and was guarded extremely closely by Millsap, who was leaning forward. Skal just ripped the ball upward and whacked Millsap in the head with the ball. I hope other teams watch the film on that. Maybe they'll start to back off of him and give the kid a little respect. One of these days Skal will figure out how to dribble drive without travelling. The sooner, the better.

After seeing this game, I couldn't help wondering if the Kings are in good shape. A lot of talk around the league about a shortened training camp period and guys not being in shape. Kings looked like it tonight. No zip in their step, beat on the boards, no legs in their shots, and of course, being a mile high added to it.

Other than Fox, I haven't seen much fast breaking from this team. I guess it's the downside of having the older vets play more minutes. In the first three games I can't recall seeing one good outlet pass from one of our bigs to a wing running up the floor. Has there been one? Without more fast breaks it looks like it might be tough on Buddy getting open shots. He's having problems getting shots on his own and as of yet he hasn't learned how to move very well without the basketball to get open. He needs more easy looks to get some shots to go down and get his confidence back. This team needs Buddy to make shots to have much of a chance of winning. Having Bogs in the lineup wouldn't hurt either.

The more minutes for Skal, the better. I'd actually like to see him play enough to get tired so he doesn't think so much out there. The best play of the night was when he was facing the basket on the wing and was guarded extremely closely by Millsap, who was leaning forward. Skal just ripped the ball upward and whacked Millsap in the head with the ball. I hope other teams watch the film on that. Maybe they'll start to back off of him and give the kid a little respect. One of these days Skal will figure out how to dribble drive without travelling. The sooner, the better.
How about how to pivot without shuffling his feet. Haha

Skal has a ways to go but I was encouraged by what I saw. The kid is young and needs two more seasons with a S&C coach but he can shot and his release is nice and high. I think his trajectory is encouraging.

Fox had his share of turnovers and is still learning what he can and can’t do. The bigger concern is Buddy and finding his shot consistently. Will be interesting what happens when B.B. is healthy.

Yes, and on the flip-side of what you're talking about, their half-court slow down offense is a failure to start. Walking the ball up is killing them. Kings have major problems if they are going to rely on a 36 year old Randolph as a first or 2nd offensive option as post-up - that should be a 3rd or 4th option at best and used depending on opponent personnel. They should be working on Fox/Cauley-Stein Pick and Roll as a better option. Cauley-Stein has shown the ability to make 18 ft elbows fairly consistently now. He passed up several in the 2nd half of the Nuggets. The team also needs to work on shooting the ball earlier in the shot-clock and floor spacing. As some have correctly noted, Fox needs to be starting pretty soon - he is their prime mismatch on the floor and should be getting big minutes. For Fox's part, he's forcing drives too often. The Kings are going to ask alot of Cauley-Stein - they need his offensive results immediately.

Koufos looked ok against the Mavericks on defense, but got abused by the Nuggets. He shouldn't have been on the floor - a step late everywhere on defense. Hield needs alot more work on his shot as does Jackson who is making a habit of poor passing in the half-court. Mason, although missing some shots, showed his ability to breakdown his opponent. Nice he finally got put in. Labissiere needs to continue in the weight-room more.

Anyone here ever played consective games for 48 minutes two nights in a row with the second one at over 5,000 feet? I haven't.
Denver played ferocious defense in the style of coach Malone. Don't under estimate their ability.
The Kings are holding teams to under 100 points. That is the only good news last night.
The Kings could not find their rythym on offense from the start. The Nugs were very distruptive. The Kings kind of panicked and never got it together.
There is no excuse for getting out rebounded by 19 boards though.
There is a lot to be learned from a game like this.

This was a HARD game to watch. Everyone was terrible on offense. I think the Kings should really stop trying to use Kosta in the high-post. It's just not his game. I'd like to see more down screens to open up Skal in the low-post.

The first 3 games show us exactly why we need a #1 scorer in the next draft.. the offense goes to crumbles without a leading scorer.
We need a scorer but I'm praying we get someone who can guard the interior and rebound. I can't take wcs getting beat by everyone and getting outrebounded by shooting guards anymore.

I would not reserve any judgement on playing 2 of the worst teams in the league.(Dallas and Phoenix) Kings are no better than Dallas(Without Dennis Smith in that game) and really no better talent wise than the Suns. Booker is still better than any player on the entire Kings roster.

Kings do not have the talent to beat any quality playoff teams. That has been proven already.
They played Houston in game 1... Not Phoenix.

I liked what I saw from Skal, Fox and, if we forget about butter hands, Willie. He was active and in the right places the whole game defensively.
Considering that those 3 are the highest ceiling players, I am not upset with this loss.

Buddy was good for about 10 minutes total in the first 3 games, none in this one. That would be a bigger concern if there is not another SG ready to step in (BB).

Malachi had decent game, I would not write him off yet.

Mason was terrible in his first 10 minutes, meh afterward.

Hill and Carter were below average, the rest were as expected.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I liked what I saw from Skal, Fox and, if we forget about butter hands, Willie. He was active and in the right places the whole game defensively.
Considering that those 3 are the highest ceiling players, I am not upset with this loss.

Buddy was good for about 10 minutes total in the first 3 games, none in this one. That would be a bigger concern if there is not another SG ready to step in (BB).

Malachi had decent game, I would not write him off yet.

Mason was terrible in his first 10 minutes, meh afterward.

Hill and Carter were below average, the rest were as expected.
I keep forgetting about Malachi. I hope he can stay healthy so we can get a good assessment of him, especially with all the other young hungry kids around him. I liked what I saw last year. I hope he can get back into the groove.

Life happened and I didn't watch the second half of the game. I think the Great God Naismith may have been looking out for me. :)
It was bad still but given our situation it didn't bother like it normally would. We're young, it's early, we had a short pre-season, Joerger teams always start slow, guys are hurt/recovering, back-to-back, altitude. Pick any of those reasons and it would probably have some validity. They shot horribly so it was frustrating but there was stuff to watch but young guys were out there scuffling and trying to turn it around. Nights like last night are hard but it happens in the NBA and the sooner they experience it the better prepared they will be for later.

So far this team has played a contender tough, squeaked out a close one against a bad team on the road, and got beat up on the second night of a back to back because they couldn't hit anything. I'd say they are getting a quick lesson on the ups and downs of an NBA season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
“I thought they pushed us around with their physicality,” Joerger said. “We were undersized at just about every position. We have to hit first. We have to have that mindset. We have to cut hard and create plays and help teammates score.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article180272921.html#storylink=cpy

Fair assessment by Jason Jones, along with some good quotes that actually fit the story instead of when AV uses quotes that merely further her agenda. :p

Only concerning thing to me is no one on the roster other than Malachi puts in any effort to get to the line. The rest of these guys seem to avoid any kind of contact. Skal was one of our better offensive players but 13 points on 12 shots isn't all that great despite the fact that he shot 50%. These guys need to get to the line more often.

Also we need more rebounding from the SF spot. Jackson, Carter and Temple are all poor rebounders. That's going to be an issue that needs addressing in the future.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sorry for the delays guys. The forums being a real arsehole right now and not letting me edit my post/crashing on me when I try to and I've got to go to work. I'll try again tonight.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Only concerning thing to me is no one on the roster other than Malachi puts in any effort to get to the line. The rest of these guys seem to avoid any kind of contact. Skal was one of our better offensive players but 13 points on 12 shots isn't all that great despite the fact that he shot 50%. These guys need to get to the line more often.

Also we need more rebounding from the SF spot. Jackson, Carter and Temple are all poor rebounders. That's going to be an issue that needs addressing in the future.
Agreed on Malachi getting to the line. I'm not sure that Jackson should be playing over Malachi right now. I'd go so far as playing Jakar Sampson right now if we are getting beat on the boards like against Denver. His energy would have helped quite a bit. But I guess he's not one of the guys we are trying to develop. I do think that Fox is also capable of going to the line quite a bit but the refs have to call the fouls. I think he's getting the rookie treatment right now.

It's too bad that Papa wasn't activated for the Denver game....he could have gotten minutes. We got killed on the boards, he could have at least taken up space and put bodies on people.

Agreed on Malachi getting to the line. I'm not sure that Jackson should be playing over Malachi right now. I'd go so far as playing Jakar Sampson right now if we are getting beat on the boards like against Denver. His energy would have helped quite a bit. But I guess he's not one of the guys we are trying to develop. I do think that Fox is also capable of going to the line quite a bit but the refs have to call the fouls. I think he's getting the rookie treatment right now.

It's too bad that Papa wasn't activated for the Denver game....he could have gotten minutes. We got killed on the boards, he could have at least taken up space and put bodies on people.
Jackson looks like a future role player. Every team needs 1 of those but I don't know what he does well in the NBA.

He looks like a SG. We already have too many of those on this team. Unless he toughens up, I think he needs to be benched. How can you play 20mins in a game and only come out with 1 rebound?