GP will be a King

#1sacfan

It is expected that Atlanta will release GP. I would not be suprised to see the Kings pick him up.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Its always possible, but yet another new player = ? Half the team being new inside 2 months? And with Bobby due back in a month or so -- nto sure what happens then. Such tremendous disruption -- be like training camp again rihgt in the middle of the season. Cohesion would be difficult.

Would fill the leadership gap I suspose. But not exactly the sort of leadershipm you necessarily want.

I'd be very surprised if he came to Sacramento. We could probably use him, but I think he's more likely to sign back with Boston after he clears waivers.

Didn't GP want to come to Sac if WEBBER WAS STILL ON THE KINGS ROSTER? Hmmm, he will only join if he thinks the Kings are legit contenders, something a lot of critics don't think IMO. I kinda would like him around. We do need a vet on this team. We don't have any come to think of it :)

I don't thk GP will like to come up from the bench
+ he prefer to play for contender or stay in celtics, why he would like to join kings with the trade out of C-webb?

suga said:
I don't thk GP will like to come up from the bench
+ he prefer to play for contender or stay in celtics, why he would like to join kings with the trade out of C-webb?
Stat in the Celts? errrr...

A

AriesMar27

what would we do with bobby? wait... nevermind, evans just wouldnt get any playing time.... that'd be ok i guess... but i'm sure that minny or houston will try to get him, we saw what happened to minny last year... 2 pgs may not be enough....

I don't think that gary would come here. Do we really need him? We already got Bibby, Bobby and Mobley, add another guard and we got four guys who all should start. And you thought bobby was complaining about this before. Don't think the glove would be happy comming off the bench, and neither would anyother guard the kings have. Instead, the money (what little the maloofs actually want to spend helping the team) can go to some other guy, like an athletic, leader, reebounder, post player that we can get in the post-season.

Gary would only be here for one year. There's no concern about him taking Bobby's time then, unless Bobby is planning on coming back sooner? The only person who should be worried is Eddie House...

Kev.in said:
I'd be very surprised if he came to Sacramento. We could probably use him, but I think he's more likely to sign back with Boston after he clears waivers.
Thats what I heard, too...buyout, then back to Boston. But who knows.

Kev.in said:
I'd love to have him but I don't see it happening. Once Bobby gets back the minutes will dwindle and I think he wants to play. Probably goes back to Boston or Miami.

I don't think I would want him here. Bobby will be better once he is back, and since Mobley, and Bibby are playing well I think they should get most of the minutes.

After the Mavs game last night. How can anyone say we couldn't use GP? Bibby was dead tired, House barely got any time, Bobby still on the bench till the playoffs, and Mobley turned the ball over half the time he brought it up.

I don't think its a question if we use them or not, its if we have enough valuable minutes to split between the four of them and make them a happy bunch. We don't need any more grudges on this team (well we don't have any now when C-Webb left).

Well, IF Payton wants to come off the bench, and IF Payton would be OK with only 20 minutes a game rotating between SG, and PG I would not mind him on the team, but I am afraid of his ego+20 minutes a game.

Gary said:
Well, IF Payton wants to come off the bench, and IF Payton would be OK with only 20 minutes a game rotating between SG, and PG I would not mind him on the team, but I am afraid of his ego+20 minutes a game.
and IF Payton still considers the Kings a team he wants to play for. He has mentioned Sac as an option before, but that was when Webb was here. At this point in his career, Payton is going to want someone who is a contender THIS year, and I don't know that we can be called that right now.

With Mike Bibby, EdHouse, Bobby Jackson, Mo Evans, and Kevin Martin, why would the Kings even consider signing Payton? He isn't the same Gary Payton that pummeled the Kings six or seven years ago. Plus, his personality is all wrong.

I think Petrie is done for a while.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
So the news is maybe the Suns. Wow. They seemed to build quite a team on the fly.
Yep -- blew right by us in the space of a season just by having a 100% committed owner and front office. Said they wanted to win, win now, and they were going for broke. And man have they. With our trade they now have the best starting 5 (as long as Nash is in there) and they've been extraordinarily aggressive chasing down bench pieces to fill out their shallow area. Much respect for their effort down there.

Bricklayer

quick dog said:
With Mike Bibby, EdHouse, Bobby Jackson, Mo Evans, and Kevin Martin, why would the Kings even consider signing Payton? He isn't the same Gary Payton that pummeled the Kings six or seven years ago. Plus, his personality is all wrong.

I think Petrie is done for a while.
I think there is one thing that has changed though -- we suddenly have a leadership gulf. Not only have we lost our three unique passers in the last 8 months, but all three of our leaders too. GPs personality is grating to say the least, but at least he has one and is accustomed to being a leader. If we were to pick him up (and I think its rihgt he may not look at us as a real option with Webb gone) I think bringing him in as a veteran leader, however yippy, might be behind it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To be a leader, people have to be willing to follow you. I don't think the team would follow Gary Payton anywhere...and I think they would resent him being brought in to lead them. I would.

love_them_kings said:
and IF Payton still considers the Kings a team he wants to play for. He has mentioned Sac as an option before, but that was when Webb was here. At this point in his career, Payton is going to want someone who is a contender THIS year, and I don't know that we can be called that right now.
I feel we have just as much of a chance to win it this year before, or after Webber was traded (meaning about a 5-10% chance), so why shouldn't he come?