Giles back Tuesday (split from old Giles thread)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Split this out since the discussion of him ON the court will be new and wonderful and exciting and a big change from the speculation of the old thread. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He must have stepped it up in practice recently :rolleyes:
Really? If you read the exact quote that was made (and posted in the old thread), I don't think there's much to get your panties in a wad over. It seems some are bound and determined to find a way to make Mt. Everest out of a really little molehill.

Bottom line is that soon all the speculation, frustration, anticipation, etc. will be over. Harry Giles, the man, the myth and/or the legend, will be taking the court in a Kings uniform and hopefully contributing to the success of the team. Then we'll be able to shift our outrage to him playing too many/not enough minutes, starting/not starting, trying too hard/not hard enough, etc. If we're lucky we might even find a way to disagree about his shoes, hair style, facial expressions, etc. ;)

Really? If you read the exact quote that was made (and posted in the old thread), I don't think there's much to get your panties in a wad over. It seems some are bound and determined to find a way to make Mt. Everest out of a really little molehill.

Bottom line is that soon all the speculation, frustration, anticipation, etc. will be over. Harry Giles, the man, the myth and/or the legend, will be taking the court in a Kings uniform and hopefully contributing to the success of the team. Then we'll be able to shift our outrage to him playing too many/not enough minutes, starting/not starting, trying too hard/not hard enough, etc. If we're lucky we might even find a way to disagree about his shoes, hair style, facial expressions, etc. ;)
Ah just saw it. Didn't realize it was the Bee doing Bee like things.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
This is interesting but I think good news.

It would seem to indicate that the rumors/questions about both his health and his work ethic could be put to rest if he does indeed take the court. That would really beg the question why we didn't pick up his option though. But still, if he's going on the court that likely means there's no ill feelings/hesitancy from either side.

Of course it's in our interest that he only makes modest gains this season lest someone make him an offer he can't refuse even if they have a side deal in place.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

We’re going to have a collective conniption fit if he starts doing second-half of last season Harry Giles things on the reg. Hope y’all are ready for that. Lol

EDIT; nvm, let’s just be excited he’s (probably) going to come back very soon, and worry about the other nonsense later.

Ball out, HG3. I look forward to it!
Well, considering we can only match up to a $4 million contract. Let’s hope he balls out just shy of a $4 million dollar contract offer from another team. Maybe a minute restriction to preserve his health will help him stay within our $4 million salary restriction come this summer. :oops:

my guess is he will be raw again, ie he will not look that good. he did not look that good in that video someone posted about a week ago of him in practice where he almost injured himself. but i'm rooting for him regardless of the contract situation

Did someone say conniption?

There's still no way to make this look good.

If his knees are shot, then that means they've been lying since they declined the option at the very least and probably a lot longer than that.

If he comes in and performs like a reserve big man or anything like last year, it's a bad move. If he plays like a starter-level big or anything better, then it's a fireable offense and will be hilariously ridiculed and mocked just like the laundry list of other bad moves. If there was a reasonable chance he can get healthy, then that means they're either cheap, misjudged their own talent, have a shady side deal in the works, are smelling their own self-righteous farts, or any combination of the above.

The "best" case scenario for Vlade and co. is if he's healthy and just flat out sucks, like Papa G or Swanigan level bad. Even then, that just tells us that Vlades huffs a heaping helping of glue right before he gets in the draft room.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well, considering we can only match up to a $4 million contract. Let’s hope he balls out just shy of a $4 million dollar contract offer from another team. Maybe a minute restriction to preserve his health will help him stay within our $4 million salary restriction come this summer. :oops:
I wasn’t lying in my first post when I said I’m rooting for players. I want Giles to succeed, and I’m going to root for him to succeed. If the end result makes this franchise look even more inept, so be it.

Last edited:
Who cares? He plays well - cool... in that case he won't be playing here next year because we declined his option. He sucks or gets injured? He won't be playing here next year anyway. What's to root for? Success this current year?

Not interested. I wish Harry the best and hope he does well, but this does nothing for the Kings outside of this season.

Who cares? He plays well - cool... in that case he won't be playing here next year because we declined his option. He sucks or gets injured? He won't be playing here next year anyway. What's to root for? Success this current year?

Not interested. I wish Harry the best and hope he does well, but this does nothing for the Kings outside of this season.
It allows us to say if Bagley/Harry were healthy we would have won that game even if it's the complete opposite of reality.

I'm just so annoyed by all of this. If Harry shows up and wrecks people on the court, the narrative for the entire rest of the season is going to be "He's amazing, look what could've been...". And at what would've been a $4M cost or whatever it is.

The sad thing is that Harry Giles coming back and playing great would had been a big fat victory for the Kings and the FO. A great and feel good story that the fans and the national media can all admire.

Instead, if Giles breaks out and shows how good he can be, the narrative will turn to how dumb and stupid the FO is to not exercise a measly $4 million option.

I definitely am rooting for Giles to do well. But, I get the sinking feeling that this Giles "feel good story" may turn into a "feel bad story" for the Kings and us fans come this summer, if you know what I mean. #KANGZ

I'm rooting for HG because he is a likable player. That said he really has not done much on the court up to this point. While 4 million a year seems like so little to us armchair NBA Owners and GM's it is actually quite a bit of the salary cap.. Mr Holmes is a 5 million per year as a comparison.

We will just have to wait and see how it works out. No amount of hand wringing at this point really makes much difference.

Did someone say conniption?

There's still no way to make this look good.

If his knees are shot, then that means they've been lying since they declined the option at the very least and probably a lot longer than that.

If he comes in and performs like a reserve big man or anything like last year, it's a bad move. If he plays like a starter-level big or anything better, then it's a fireable offense and will be hilariously ridiculed and mocked just like the laundry list of other bad moves. If there was a reasonable chance he can get healthy, then that means they're either cheap, misjudged their own talent, have a shady side deal in the works, are smelling their own self-righteous farts, or any combination of the above.

The "best" case scenario for Vlade and co. is if he's healthy and just flat out sucks, like Papa G or Swanigan level bad. Even then, that just tells us that Vlades huffs a heaping helping of glue right before he gets in the draft room.
You nailed it on every point. I can live with the Bagley over Luke situation....this Giles situation is what REALLY has me questioning if im going to continue being a fan...haven't watched a game since the news

You nailed it on every point. I can live with the Bagley over Luke situation....this Giles situation is what REALLY has me questioning if im going to continue being a fan...haven't watched a game since the news
Yeah I feel the same way. We had 6 first round picks in the 2016-17 draft and as of now it looks like Fox is the only player we got out of it. F’ing up the 17 draft as badly as we have is the biggest factor for me. So many ways we could have been successful with that 10th pick.

You know what's also awkward about this? Harry's perspective. Imagine being him - you know you're more than likely not on the team next year, but you need to show out for your next contract with a different team.

So he's out there on the court, does he play team ball and act passive when necessary, or is he more selfish in order to showcase his skills?

It's just strange working for your employer, and working within their system no less, when you know you've got to prove your worth to your next employer. And if he doesn't get enough playing time then what kind of position is he in personally?

I hope he comes out super aggressive and dominates. I want him to make this stupid FO look even more stupid. Maybe his knees are shot, maybe not. Either way the lack of transparency sucks.

You know what's also awkward about this? Harry's perspective. Imagine being him - you know you're more than likely not on the team next year, but you need to show out for your next contract with a different team.
Unless they agreed to a deal that isn't an extension. Yes, that carries risk to both parties but it isn't out of the realm of possibility considering that we have been patient with him and paid him to rehab.

My thoughts are that he wouldn't be on the court at all if they don't have some kind of understanding behind the scenes.

I'm rooting for HG because he is a likable player. That said he really has not done much on the court up to this point. While 4 million a year seems like so little to us armchair NBA Owners and GM's it is actually quite a bit of the salary cap.. Mr Holmes is a 5 million per year as a comparison.

We will just have to wait and see how it works out. No amount of hand wringing at this point really makes much difference.
Vlade paid $2 million a year to 40 year old Matt Barnes to go away and actively NOT be here.

It's a third of what Vlade paid 40 year old Zbo so he could camp his butt on the bench and do nothing before they finally found a taker.

Unless they agreed to a deal that isn't an extension. Yes, that carries risk to both parties but it isn't out of the realm of possibility considering that we have been patient with him and paid him to rehab.

My thoughts are that he wouldn't be on the court at all if they don't have some kind of understanding behind the scenes.
You seem to have a lot more faith in the FO than I do at this point. I hope you are correct that they have come to some sort of agreement to allow Giles to play and still keep him on the Kings next year.

It may be merely the fact that the FO may feel that once most teams look at Giles health records and knees that most would balk at giving him a high dollar, longer term deal off a half season plus of play.

I guess time will only tell. I have been a big Giles supporter and hope he does well once he comes back. I just hope the Kings will be able to retain his services following this season, because it would be a shame to invest so much time and rehab on a player and see him walk off to greener pastures, when we had him under our control.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Well, they really can't. I mean, for one thing, it's not allowed and there's the whole Joe-Smith-Contract-Loses-T'Wolves-First-Round-Picks precedent to consider. But also, the CBA doesn't allow the Kings to pony up any more for Giles' fourth year than the contract option we declined. If Giles shows that he's healthy and a gamer this year, all some team has to do is offer a mere $5M and he'll bolt unless he *really* wants to stay with us.

That's why turning down the fourth-year option was so shocking, and I can only assume that things were pretty bad behind the scenes for that to happen.