George Hill to the Cavaliers?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Cleveland has always seemed like a top potential destination for Hill but they have no assets we would want other than the Brooklyn pick which they're not trading for George Hill. I suppose we could target Cleveland's own pick but it'll be high 20s and we'll already have a 2nd round pick in the low 30s this year and limited roster space available. There's just no way anything happens here unless it's a 3 team deal.

We don't need to dump George Hill's salary -- it's only guaranteed for one more season and most of our roster is filled up with rookie contracts. Trading him for a comparable veteran on a long-term deal doesn't make sense either. That hypothetical player is just going to get benched too. Deals that make sense would include a young player, probably still on a rookie deal but close to needing an extension, who fits a position that we don't already have depth at -- so most likely it would be a bigger wing or a combo forward. If need be we could package another vet or more expendable prospect or take back a bad contract (no more than 2 years though) to get a better return.

01D90A83-7CB2-48F3-86EE-01C33BDC023A.png

Thompson’s contract is only one year longer than Hills and would expire right around the time Skal and Giles etc. would need to be paid. He easily becomes our best rebounder and could hopefully get these kids to box out and learn some good habits. He is also still pretty young and works with this core off the bench. Calderon becomes our 3rd point guard and a good vet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
View attachment 7189

Thompson’s contract is only one year longer than Hills and he easily becomes our best rebounder and could hopefully get these kids to box out and learn some good habits. He is also still pretty young and works with this core off the bench. Calderon becomes our 3rd point guard and a good vet.
I seriously doubt if we're gonna get a quality player back. And, quite frankly, I don't think it will be Tristan Thompson. His baggage is WAY too heavy IMHO.

I seriously doubt if we're gonna get a quality player back. And, quite frankly, I don't think it will be Tristan Thompson. His baggage is WAY too heavy IMHO.
You mean as far as the Kardashian’s go? I don’t frequently watch Cavs games so I’m not sure how he’s played this year but I remember him being a fairly solid role player at the very least

View attachment 7189

Thompson’s contract is only one year longer than Hills and would expire right around the time Skal and Giles etc. would need to be paid. He easily becomes our best rebounder and could hopefully get these kids to box out and learn some good habits. He is also still pretty young and works with this core off the bench. Calderon becomes our 3rd point guard and a good vet.
We can't keep both. We don't have a roster spot. We either waive Calderon, or one of the other kids.

View attachment 7189

Kings would have to waive someone, and not a 2 way contract. It will have to match players or take back less.

I would hope this includes the Brooklyn pick.

Kings would have to waive someone, and not a 2 way contract. It will have to match players or take back less.

I would hope this includes the Brooklyn pick.
Yeah I was wondering if it could be a 2 way contract or not but not sure I’d be willing to throw one of the kids in. Even Malachi has shown promise lately nobody really stands out as needed to move, especially at this point of the season when the kids are gonna get more of an opportunity

Just wanted to throw this out there though, the Brooklyn pick was not going to field Deandre Jordan so we can pretty much guarantee it’s not going to be coming back to us in a trade where George Hill is the center piece, let’s get real here

It's not about quality. I don't think many of us are expecting that. It's about matching salaries, and ensuring we don't get saddled with dead weight long term contract.

While it will be good to get something for Hill, (and good for him too to go on a contending team), his contract is not all that bad. Yes, his salary is high, but with that buyout option for the third year, could be a useful trade chip at next year's deadline (or even sooner). While I won't mind the Cavs pick (even if it's in the 20s), the cost needs to be reasonable, or appropriately sweetened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just wanted to throw this out there though, the Brooklyn pick was not going to field Deandre Jordan so we can pretty much guarantee it’s not going to be coming back to us in a trade where George Hill is the center piece, let’s get real here
You're kidding right? Have you met us? We're Kings fans. Getting real here about trade possibilities is not who we are or what we do.

;)

That was when it was expected for them to be the worst team in the league. they are currently tied at 7/8.

There's no way Hill is going to haul us in the Brooklyn pick. They are more than likely talking the Cavs pick at the end of the first round which could still potentially land us an interesting prospect in Keita Bates-Diop.

The bad is that we're going to get a similar contract back in Tristan Thompson, Shumpert or JR Smith. It'll likely be the two latter since they play roughly the same position as Hill. The bad thing there is that they are much worse than Hill at this point with similar contracts. If we could land TT, we could actually use him. His defense has dropped off this year but he is a more versatile defender than Koufos is. He would also be the best rebounder on the squad.

There's version of this trade that make sense. I don't think the Kings would want TT's contract (as I believe its worse overall) in return unless they're also getting the Brooklyn pick. However, I don't think that Brook pick would be involved for just George Hill.

So it's likely Shumpert/Frye and lesser assets.