General Grant Napear termination discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well depends on the topic. My assumption is on racism as a whole due to the all lives matter vs blm. I assume each house would concern all races. As you are aware racism isn’t only directed towards one race. I’ve felt it towards myself as an Asian an seen it directed at my friends who are Asian, Hispanic, middle eastern and African American. During and after 9/11, there has been a lot of hate directed at middle eastern people. Racism needs to end and we all can or have endured it. Though racism towards African Americans are well documented in history and the media, people of all color can or have been a victim of it. Hence all houses on fire, and all the fires need to be put out. I mention one house is in worse shape and needs more attention. I believe that is what BLM movement is trying to focus on. There’s been years or hundreds of years of racism towards them and they/we believe it has to end and black lives matter as much as any life.
I see. So saying all lives matter as a response to black lives matter is an acceptable response because all races at some point have experienced racism in some form or another, and even though you acknowledge it might be worse for the black community, it’s only a trivial amount, so no need to focus or acknowledge their particular issue at this time. Instead, they should be reminded that other people have/had struggles too.

I must admit, sticking with the analogy, I disagree that all houses are on fire. Maybe one has some flood damage from 20 years ago...one has some foundational cracks from a recent earthquake, one has termites perhaps, one has a lit bag of dog poop on the porch, and one house seems to have a lot fire starting materials inside.

I see. So saying all lives matter as a response to black lives matter is an acceptable response because all races at some point have experienced racism in some form or another, and even though you acknowledge it might be worse for the black community, it’s only a trivial amount, so no need to focus or acknowledge their particular issue at this time. Instead, they should be reminded that other people have/had struggles too.

I must admit, sticking with the analogy, I disagree that all houses are on fire. Maybe one has some flood damage from 20 years ago...one has some foundational cracks from a recent earthquake, one has termites perhaps, one has a lit bag of dog poop on the porch, and one house seems to have a lot fire starting materials inside.
well I never said one was more trivial, you are saying that. I said one was in worse shape and needs more attention. But I did love how you trivialize all the trials and tribulations of the other races. Kudos to you.

I said it and I’m gonna stick to it that the comic is a bad analogy. It isn’t just one burning house and one perfectly fine house. Racism is horrible. You might think a little racism is ok or different levels of racism can be tolerated (Based on your analogy that not all houses are on fire and some might have some cracks) but I wish none of it existed. Instead of using the comic to divide, I believe a better analogy would show that all the racism should be put out like a fire, especially the house that has the bigger fire. Do black lives matter? Yes. Do all lives matter? Yes. Does racism need to end? Yes. I just believe we should all band together and support each other. Hyperbolic and extreme analogies don’t do anything to bring us together and wedges a larger divide between the 2 sides. Saying all lives matter as a response to black lives matter today is insensitive and seen as belittling to the blm movement. But believing that all lives matter in it’s own right i feel is ok. So instead of making it us against them, show them the world is a better place when it’s us and them, together.

Last edited:
well I never said one was more trivial, you are saying that. I said one was in worse shape and needs more attention. But I did love how you trivialize all the trials and tribulations of the other races. Kudos to you.
I said that my interpretation of what you said is that the difference (or ‘worseness’) between what the black community is currently experiencing and what other races are currently experiencing is minor (or trivial). The difference, being trivial. Which you seem to be confirming, and I disagree with.

And yes, I would put out a fire before calling an exterminator or getting that foundation checked. No doubt. If you want to characterize it as trivializing, so be it. I view it as proper triaging.

I said that my interpretation of what you said is that the difference (or ‘worseness’) between what the black community is currently experiencing and what other races are currently experiencing is minor (or trivial). The difference, being trivial. Which you seem to be confirming, and I disagree with.

And yes, I would put out a fire before calling an exterminator or getting that foundation checked. No doubt. If you want to characterize it as trivializing, so be it. I view it as proper triaging.
Well I never said it was trivial so your interpretation was wrong since you quoted me in saying that one was in worse shape and needed more attention. But that’s fine. I think we are in agreement that black lives matter. Where we disagree is on that comic. You think it’s a good analogy, I think it’s dumb.

There's a bit of unfortunate whataboutism happening in this thread. Here is an instructive resource from Rachel Cargle. Read the text of the provided image, then examine Cargle's response to it below the image. It illustrates the fault in "both sides" kind of thinking:

http://instagr.am/p/CBF8bFLnRwt/
And here's Chris Rock with a very succinct and funny explanation of why "a few bad apples" is a really sh*tty way to frame the argument around police brutality:

Hmmm. An analogy is used when there is no perfect comparison. Otherwise, the analogy wouldn't be needed. The more complicated you make the analogy, the more holes that can be poked in it. Best to take it as a generalization and simplification of an idea.

Last edited:
Hmmm. An analogy is used when there is no perfect comparison. Otherwise, the analogy wouldn't be needed. The more complicated you male the analogy, the more holes that can be poked in it. Best to take it as a generalization and simplification of an idea.
True but there are good and bad analogies.

Analogy: a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect.

Good analogy makes sense and there are no arguments because, well it makes sense. If there is an argument with the resemblance part of the analogy, it’s a bad analogy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
At this point I think this thread has served out its useful lifetime. Grant is gone, both sides have had their say, and as this is all politics and no Kings anymore, I'm closing the thread.

Thanks to all for managing the debate without getting personal.

Basketball is on its way back. Let's all come together and root for the Kings to sneak their way into the playoffs. There are other places where we can all get our politics fix. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.