Game consoles

Glenn

Hall of Famer
My wife is nagging me to get a game console. :) I need some advice. I have a nice computer but the idea that some of these consoles have high quality Bluray DVDs is pushing me in that direction. I used to play a lot of games, mostly first person shooter and strategy games. Sports games never interested me but I am talking 10-15 years ago. I'm not interested in competition ladders but just something my wife and I could play either against each other or as a team.

I think one of the consoles has no IR connection so wouldn't work with my remote. That's not the biggest deal in the world but it could be a tie breaker if I narrow it down to two systems.

I just took a peak at Black Ops 2 and got a tingle of excitement. Big time!!

Recently I got together with some mature gentlemen of my age and we played Age of Mythology once a week, my buddy being in St. Louis and his brother in Wisconsin. We were pretty good as a team. My friend unfortunately had a health setback and now I've got spare time. :(

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Frankly, about the only thing I play on consoles is racing games. As a technology base for FPS or strategy games, they suck compared to a computer with a mouse and keyboard. IMHO, of course. ;)

Xbox 360 is easier to develop games for so typically they have less problems and has a better online service (paid). PS3 has more features (blu ray, Bluetooth, built in motion controls) and a good but not great online service (free). Xbox 360 used to have better exclusives but that has reversed now a days in my opinion. If you think your going to be playing online at all get an xbox 360. If your focus is more on media and features you can't go wrong with a ps3 either. The wii has some great mario games and a cool idea with motion controls but it lacks graphics, features, and alot of the AAA titles.

Whichever you pick, remember the most important part of buying a console... a hearty stack of games. I have a Dreamcast with a ton of games and it still get's played.

I prefer the 360, mostly for the controller, the better online services and because games that are ported to both consoles tend to be a hair better on 360.

PS3 has the best baseball game hands down.

Call of Duty type games will have tons of players on either system. If that's what you're mainly interested in I'd see which controller you like better. Unless you already have friends on one system, then you will want to go with that. I didn't think I would get into the COD games until all my former coworkers showed up online and we would do a regular Thursday night thing.

My choice would be Xbox 360. I like to play sports games(NBA 2K, Fight Night, UFC) on my 360 and FPS, strategy games on my PC. It used to be that my wife gets pissed whenever I'm playing but after getting the 360 S with kinect, I have been playing PC exclusively, my wife just hogs the 360.

If you get a 360 you miss out on PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 1,2,3. Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls and Metal Gear Solid 4 + the PS3 is a blu-ray player and online is free.

but if you're only an FPS kind of person it really makes no difference, them games are dime a dozen on both consoles.

Remember whichever console you buy you have to become a fan boy of and pretend the other console is absolutely rubbish, and be prepared to defend the failings of said console in a death match under all youtube videos.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Thanks. I kinda thought I was asking the right people. :) I've been playing games longer than a lot of people here have been alive starting with a coin operated game of Pong in a bar.

My son got better than I about 20 years ago and recent experience is that I would be humbled by the average young male. I see that COD can match you up with people of your own skill level which is great. It also got my wife's attention as she expects to suck badly. I get the point that a computer might be better than a console. The biggest question is what works best for two people. Am I guessing right that this occurs mostly online? My first thought was that two controllers could be atached to a consoile but that's really not it, is it?

Let me babble a little longer. I have a great home theater. In fact there are 9 speakers, two of which are subwoofers. The console is the latest from Sony. The point is that I can appreciate excellence in sound and picture. I understand that game play still is most important but I'll factor in the desire to have wall to wall sound which I cannot do with a computer.

At this point it is likely I'll go with XBox 360 and also use the PC. Still got some reading to do.

You can always hook PC up to home theater but I do prefer the console gaming in my home theater environment. That is the environment they are made for and games are programmed with those limitations in mind (controller functionality vs. mouse keyboard, input lag of a typical HDTV vs. a computer monitor with ultra fast response time, 5.1 or higher surround expected vs a luxury, etc).

Remember whichever console you buy you have to become a fan boy of and pretend the other console is absolutely rubbish, and be prepared to defend the failings of said console in a death match under all youtube videos.
Not necessarily... I appreciate every console including the pc because each one has amazing features and games. I couldn't deal with not having any of them.... and Im not really a 24/7 player either. Thats why the whole Wii U thing is going to irk me... I really don't want to get it but not being able to play the latest mario games would suck...

Not necessarily... I appreciate every console including the pc because each one has amazing features and games. I couldn't deal with not having any of them.... and Im not really a 24/7 player either. Thats why the whole Wii U thing is going to irk me... I really don't want to get it but not being able to play the latest mario games would suck...
I was joking, i do find these fan boys baffling. How anyone can get so worked up over a games console i don't know.

I am going to skip the Wii U, I buy every console but the amount of Nintendo games I've played since N64 is just a few per console. And really the AKI WCW/WWF games were the only reason I even cared about that one.

How do you play as a team? Is it done with two separate consoles online or is there another way?
Depends on the game... seems like most of them (well, the serious FPS type stuff) are setup to be played online, so multiple consoles. There are, however, lots of other games that can be played on one console for two players... just look at the games you are considering buying and start there.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Depends on the game... seems like most of them (well, the serious FPS type stuff) are setup to be played online, so multiple consoles. There are, however, lots of other games that can be played on one console for two players... just look at the games you are considering buying and start there.
COD can be played on PC and XBox as partners so that answered my question. Actually she could play upstairs on her computer and we could yell obscenities at each other. Yes, my wife and I are couch potatoes. :) Your point is made, though. Depends on the game.