Game 5 Not to be Shown on Nat. TV!?!?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No offense, guys, but you're probably REALLY irritating the people who cannot get NBA-TV and therefore may not be able to see Tuesday's game if something doesn't change.

You're splitting hairs and arguing semantics and they're trying to vent about the bigger picture, the great inequality... the fact THEY won't be able to see the game. I know I'd be pissed...

;)

VF21 said:
No offense, guys, but you're probably REALLY irritating the people who cannot get NBA-TV and therefore may not be able to see Tuesday's game if something doesn't change.

You're splitting hairs and arguing semantics and they're trying to vent about the bigger picture, the great inequality... the fact THEY won't be able to see the game. I know I'd be pissed...

;)
ARRRRRRGGGH
:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
6th said:
I used to have NBATV when I lived in IL and had satellite. Now that I am back to cable, I cannot receive the channel unless I upgrade and get a box for descrambling channels (digital cable). I would have to pay an increased monthly cable rate, and then a rental on the box and remote. That is not worth it for 1 - 2 games of basketball. I already pay almost $100 per month as it is for expanded basic cable and broadband internet access.
I suppose that, if the only value that NBA TV was worth to you was in being able to watch *Kings* games, then you might not consider it worthwhile. NBA TV shows between 3-7 games per week, and I try to watch all of them. AND it's the only channel where you can get "full" post-game press conferences in the playoffs. AND they show classic games and historical pieces during the day. AND they have a show dedicated to Fantasy Hoops, which I am a big participant in. AND they cover WNBA games; I wouldn't have been able to watch *half* of the WNBA playoff games I got to see last season, if it weren't for NBA TV.

Plus, it allows me the luxury to watch basketball (whether it be DL or International or whatever) when basketball would otherwise not be on, as I would still rather watch basketball, at any level, than any other sport that's not basketball...

So, for me, the service has paid for itself, many times over. If your basketball watching is so particular that for you it's "Kings and nothing else," then I suppose that you might feel otherwise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
VF21 said:
Yeah, but there's still the question of how many parts of the US (besides "Big Sky Country," apparently) are there where NBA TV is "truly" unavailable?

I'm actually finding this discussion fascinating, and I'll be happy to continue it... after I take CJ out for ice cream.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Yeah, but there's still the question of how many parts of the US (besides "Big Sky Country," apparently) are there where NBA TV is "truly" unavailable?

I'm actually finding this discussion fascinating, and I'll be happy to continue it... after I take CJ out for ice cream.
It is still not available in Springfield, Illinois and that is a state capital. You cannot get it with cable TV everywhere. I paid to have a satellite installed (which renters are often not allowed) or I would not have had it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
It's not overly broad, because you're overlooking something that a lot of people, with the latest advancements in televsion technologies, take for granted nowadays: "Basic" cable is not free.

But I still think that you're splitting hairs. As hard as it was for me to believe, until becoming re-acquainted with some of my more rural relatives, everyone in the United States does not have cable television. If you want to get right down to it, the only channels that are "truly" broadcast are those that you can pick up with nothing but a plain-old TV and an antenna. If I pull down the old 13-inch Black and White w/antenna job that I had in college back in the early nineties from my attic, and just plug it into the wall, I'll get network televsion (ABC, NBC, CBS, UPN, WB) and local affiliates/public access. That's broadcast.

And, technically, it *is* all broadcast. It's just a question of whether it's encrypted or unencrypted. My point is that, although many of us have come to take it for granted, "basic" cable is *still* encrypted. Nearly all televisions available today are designed to be able to decrypt these signals without the need for a cable box, but it's still encrypted, and you still have to pay for it. "Basic" cable is not free, and trying to represent it as such, while claiming that you have to pay for services like NBA TV, is misleading.

The FCC doesn't really have any jurisdiction over cable television, either: Ad dollars have MUCH more influence, and ad dollars are highly influenced by the "moral majority." Nearly all cable companies end up following FCC guidelines, not out of obligation, but out of fear of losing ad revenue. There is, theoretically speaking, nothing whatsoever preventing USA network from showing the same content as Cinemax or the Spice channel.
You'r right WE are spliting hairs here. And ironically enough we actually agree on most of the defiantions, and the curent situation with cable and dish, but two thing you really seem to over look here are the NUMBERS and PUBLIC. You acknowlage that nealry 90% of American households have either cable or dish with out accepting that THAT makes it for all intents and purposes public. That is to say that any programing on basic cable is accessble to the public not beceause they CAN get it but beceause they DO get it. This is the crux of argumantation in one of the obsecenity trials of Howard Stern where the Feds argued that the FCC DID have jusridiction regarding a show even if it was only broadcast on cable.

The numbers tell us that roughly 90% of the American population live in homes with cable or dish, that bears out what I observed as a HS teacher, that more of my sutdents had cable than computers. BUT LESS than one percent of the population HAS NBA TV. making it the exact opisit of public.
The big problem I have with your position is that by arguing offering=access you assume alot about finances that is just not fair or accurate. By your reasoning lemosines are PUBLIC transportation beceause anyone with enough money can buy one. I simply accpet the REALITY that in most of California automables in general ARE the public's transportation beceause MOST of us use them to get from point A to point B.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:

;)
No offense taken, I never meant to irriate anyone (other than Slim ;) ) I AM one of the folks that can't watch the game, and I AM venting and more importatnly I something about it BESIDES vent and I strongly urge other fans to do the same.

I know the NBA did this last year as well, probably the year before.

Seriously though. If you're a hard core Kings fan what are you doing without NBA TV? I skip eating every other day to pay for it! ;)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Variant said:
I know the NBA did this last year as well, probably the year before.

Seriously though. If you're a hard core Kings fan what are you doing without NBA TV? I skip eating every other day to pay for it! ;)
The eating only every other day I can handle. It's the roof over my head I'm having a problem with.

You guys think that is bad???.....TWO of the Nets vs. Pacers games have only been shown on NBA TV and game 5 will be as well. I think that it is terrible for fans of the game to have to watch things on a separate, pay-extra network (it reminds me of showing Wrestlemania events on PPV). If anything, it is just a ploy by the NBA to get people to by NBAtv.

6th said:
The eating only every other day I can handle. It's the roof over my head I'm having a problem with.
haha! Hey now, this only would have been a problem up to a few weeks ago. It won't rain in Sacramento now until October at least :)

... as long as you have some sunscreen that is.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
HndsmCelt said:
You'r right WE are spliting hairs here. And ironically enough we actually agree on most of the defiantions, and the curent situation with cable and dish, but two thing you really seem to over look here are the NUMBERS and PUBLIC. You acknowlage that nealry 90% of American households have either cable or dish with out accepting that THAT makes it for all intents and purposes public.
That's fallacious reasoning, in my book; if the signal is encrypted, which it is, then it's not "public." You can pretty much buy all the parts you need to build a television from Radio Shack, but the only channels that you would be able to get were networks and affiliates/public access. That is because cable networks are not, in fact, inherently public.

Public implies that everyone has equal opportunity to acquire access; it does not imply that everyone actually has access. So, I contend that your argument is misleading because, to the same extent that most everyone in the country has the *opportunity* to acquire basic cable, they have an equal *opportunity* to acquire NBA TV. Which brings me to my next point:

HndsmCelt said:
... The big problem I have with your position is that by arguing offering=access you assume alot about finances that is just not fair or accurate.
I assume no such thing. In fact, while Variant's last post may have been facetious, it speaks highly to my personal position for the matter.

Everyone lives by a budget, to some extent or other. And many (if not most) of us find a way to budget for luxuries. NBA TV is a luxury, just like cable televsion, when you think about it. And when it comes to the subject of luxuries, the argument boils down to what are you willing to spend your "luxuries budget" on? Some people budget for tobacco, some for alcohol... Some budget for "recrecreational" drugs, some to be able to go to fine restaurants... Some on season tickets. Some budget to save up for the latest and greatest in automobiles, some for computers. Some budget so that they can wear the finest clothes, some for the newest video games. Some budget to go to the club every weekend, some to go camping, some to play paintball... some to go mountain climbing, or kayaking, or hang gliding. Some budget to be able to take a cruise, some to travel across the country, some to fly to distant lands. Some budget to be able to go to museums, or to afford to collect fine art. Some budget to collect music or go to concerts. Some budget to go to the movies, or rent from Blockbuster, or attend shows on Broadway.

I don't budget for any of those things; I'd rather spend my money on NBA TV. I contend that, for most people that can afford cable in the first place, the question is not whether or not they can afford NBA TV, but what they'd be willing to go without in order to have it. If your budget is barely enough to cover expenses, you probably can't afford cable, anyway. If you have any disposable income whatsoever (and, for simplicities sake, I'm defining disposable income as anything that isn't spent directly on food, clothing, shelter and transportation*), then everything else comes down to personal tastes.

* and insurance, I suppose; utilities (lights, water, gas, sanitation) counts as "shelter."

Not a surprise. NBA doesn't care too much about this series. Even if the Spurs are champs, both Sacramento and San Antonio aren't big markets or big draws. Artest isn't exactly Stern's darling boy either. For example, Game 3 was amazing and had an amazing finish, but it was still put below Kobe and Lebron on bspn.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I agree that it sucks, but a few things to consider:
a) TNT/TBS may only have the right to show 1 game not 2 but they get first choice at available games
b) The NBA has an interest in making sure the NBA channel succeeds, having a few playoff games on it will make subscribers push their providers to make the station available
c) The Kings are no longer a top draw and the Spurs championships coincide with the NBA ratings free fall
d) The majority of fans for both teams have access to the games through local programming
e) NBA TV is usually thrown in for league pass subscribers, so most die-hard out of towners that have league pass will be happy and it all ties in to getting you to buy their permium products

But if your panties are still in a bunch with all that considered just be glad you're not a hockey fan right now.

OK all you sports fans and perennial lounge lizards, is there some sports establishment where they serve adult beverages in Folsom where one might watch the next game on the NBA channel? I don't get it up here in the weeds. I shall have to travel west and mingle with the great unwashed.

Is there still a sports bars on Fairoaks Blvd. How about up the hill? :)

this is horse ****

NBA tv isn't available on my cable network in southern oregon, the only way i can get it is through a dish, which isn't happening.

DAMN, this makes me really mad!!!!!!!!!!!

Just called NBA TV via DirecTV. 12 Dollars extra a month for 36 of the 600 Channels which include the MLB, NBA and MLS. I may just do it, but I need to find out verification on the channel for the game, or if I'm just waisting my time.

Unless Sir Charles keeps rattling cages it looks like I am out of luck. I would pay for it if I could get it, but my cable doesn't offer it. I am so upset.

Looks like it will be me and the G-Man on Tuesday night. Thank god for NBA.com Audio League pass...

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I think they had it from jump, qd; the people complaining in this thread are from out of town.
This is not the first time that I have been out of the loop, nor is it likely to be the last. I have been doing truck work out in the sun all day. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

i only have regular cable and im from san francisco. i guess im gonna be refreshing boxscores on yahoo...............anything else i can do?

jonnny10 said:
i only have regular cable and im from san francisco. i guess im gonna be refreshing boxscores on yahoo...............anything else i can do?
Audio on NBA.com is only $5.95 for the entire playoffs. You get KHTK 1140 piped through internet in all of it's glory.

VarianSyn said:
Just called NBA TV via DirecTV. 12 Dollars extra a month for 36 of the 600 Channels which include the MLB, NBA and MLS. I may just do it, but I need to find out verification on the channel for the game, or if I'm just waisting my time.
Game would be on channel 601 (NBA TV).

I've heard rumors though that NBA TV is on a free preview right now, at least on DirecTV. However, the preview might be only for the games themselves... you might ask your DirecTV people if that's true or not. Could save yourself $12 there.

Last edited: