Game 5 Not to be Shown on Nat. TV!?!?

Though it would suck for people with no cable/dish(which there are still plenty of), I'd like it if all the Kings playoff games were shown nationally on TNT. They just have the best crew and coverage. Even when they are full of it or totally off, they are at least entertaining. ESPN is just as bad and off, but completely boring. ABC just plain sucks and hardly shows any games. Really, the only guys I like hearing do play by play are Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan. Plus, Jalen Rose is unintentional comedy gold.

swisshh said:
the only guys I like hearing do play by play are Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan. Plus, Jalen Rose is unintentional comedy gold.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed! :D Tom Tolbert's cool though, at least in my book.

hey guys, i know its tough, many of us will not have access to the game on NBA-TV, and it'll probably happen to every team, BUT... thats what we have KingsFans for, right? lets just hope for the best for our kings ... GO KINGS!

so if they are showing it on foxsports in SA i wonder if that applies to the Austin area as well since it is only an hour and a half away...

Just found out my cable provider decided NOT to participate in the NBA TV free preview... So it looks like refreshing of online play-by-play for me... :( :mad:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Viking said:
Just found out my cable provider decided NOT to participate in the NBA TV free preview... So it looks like refreshing of online play-by-play for me... :( :mad:
Well I checked with a Fresno sports bar and they have NBA TV so I'll be there sporting Kings fan ware... I jsut can't fathom missing this game... many students will be happy to see yet one more class end early... very early.

I am thinking this will be a TNT / ESPN game before its all said and done. Lakers have it wrapped up. Who the hell wants to watch them over our series? Well besides lakers fans which are all over the place ( I understand being a Cowboys fan) but anyway I called CLEO she said TNT game.

HndsmCelt said:
Well I checked with a Fresno sports bar and they have NBA TV so I'll be there sporting Kings fan ware... I jsut can't fathom missing this game... many students will be happy to see yet one more class end early... very early.
Youd be my kind of teacher were I going to school today - no matter what the subject !!! :D

HndsmCelt said:
Lucky them, I just had my final today. The Kings win gave me energy though. I think I scored 27 and had 15 boards against trigonometry :D

Viking said:
Lucky them, I just had my final today. The Kings win gave me energy though. I think I scored 27 and had 15 boards against trigonometry :D
lol, i have two tomorrow afternoon. i've been trying to study all day long, but i just can't concentrate!! my mind always wanders back to the kings and i have to come back here or go on the nba website to watch the commercial just ONE more time. :D

I'm still trying to figure out if I can order the $12 Sports pack from DirecTV that I need for NBA TV, then try it for a little while, say about 3 hours, and if I don't like it I will cancel. If I'm lucky, they'll only charge me for my "trial period" - 1 day. That'd be only about 40 cents. :)

If I actually have to pay for a whole month's worth, I'll probably just go to a sports bar. =|

Don't know about DirecTV, but there's a small disconnect fee with Dish Network if you order programming and then change your mind. I had HBO for one hour (I was stuck at home during one of the last episodes of "Six Feet Under"), then called and told them I decided against keeping it. They charged me $5.00.

uolj said:
I'm still trying to figure out if I can order the $12 Sports pack from DirecTV that I need for NBA TV, then try it for a little while, say about 3 hours, and if I don't like it I will cancel. If I'm lucky, they'll only charge me for my "trial period" - 1 day. That'd be only about 40 cents. :)

If I actually have to pay for a whole month's worth, I'll probably just go to a sports bar. =|
If I went to a sports bar to watch the game, I would at least order some appetizers and couple of drinks. That would add up to at least $12.

vj9999 said:
If I went to a sports bar to watch the game, I would at least order some appetizers and couple of drinks. That would add up to at least $12.
Yeah, but they would probably taste pretty good, versus the empty $12 (or $5). :)

This is the response I got from DirecTV, although it doesn't answer my question about pro-rating if I cancel. Not much info other than the free Preview is not available any more on DirecTV. Either I'll write back, or call to find out about any disconnect fees.
DirecTV said:
Thanks for writing about NBA programming on DIRECTV. After reviewing our programming schedule, I found that the Sacramento Kings/San Antonio Spurs game will be broadcast on NBA TV, channel 601. This channel is included in our Sports Pack which is a premium monthly subscription offered at $12.00 per month. Our programming guide does not show the specific team names, however, the game will be broadcast on channel 601 at 9:30 Eastern Time. The free preview you asked about for NBA TV was offered by DIRECTV from 6AM ET Apr 21 through 5:59AM ET Apr 28. To add the SPORTS Pack to your programming selection, you can login online at DIRECTV.com or call one of our Customer Service representatives at 1-800-531-5000.

I had a contact that's been trying to help me get the game on TNT but no luck. We were basically told everyone wants to see Lakers:( and this could be their deciding game, it could be an upset blah blah blah
I tried but no luck, I thought about going down there but it wouldn't do any good. I hope Suns blow them out and they get their precious ratings:mad:

Isn't it unfortunate Mitch? Well, as for me, I couldn't miss the game, so me and some friends going to hit up Barnacles after I get off of. If you want to join us, let me know.

My DirecTV Update
  • DirecTV is not participaing in the NBATV free preview this week, they did it last week only.
  • To order NBATV, I have to order the SPORTS pack which is the same price as any premium service. That's $12.00 for me.
  • If I cancel the SPORTS pack before 30 days is over, I will pay a pro-rated amount for the days it was on plus a $10.00 disconnect fee.

I don't really feel like going out tonight, so my plan is to go ahead and order the SPORTS pack, and then cancel it before the end of the week and hope they don't add the disconnect fee. Maximum cost to me: $12.00. Oh well, at least the channel is "available" to me. :(

Order Sports Package for One Day to See Game Tonight

If you are out of town and you are depending on National TV Coverage, order the Sports package on Direct TV, Dish Network or whatever your cable or satellite outlet is FOR ONE DAY. It includes NBA TV.

They will only charge you the per day prorated fee (maybe $2.00) and then after the game tonight, you can cancel it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This has been mentioned SEVERAL times already... If you do this and then cancel, you're going to be subject to an early cancellation fee which will run $5 or more.

Instead of recommending that people cheat their cable or satellite company, if the game is that important for you why not just pay the $12 or whatever?

Purple Reign said:
If you are out of town and you are depending on National TV Coverage, order the Sports package on Direct TV, Dish Network or whatever your cable or satellite outlet is FOR ONE DAY. It includes NBA TV.

They will only charge you the per day prorated fee (maybe $2.00) and then after the game tonight, you can cancel it.
Check my post right above yours. I called and checked the website for DirecTV and both said that there would be a $10 disconnect fee. Like I said I'm going to cross my fingers that they dont charge it (I sensed some wiggle room).

By the way, I don't consider ordering the SPORTs pack and then cancelling "cheating" the satellite company. There is no rule that says you have use something for a full month. If they want to stop people from ordering and canceling for single events, they can charge a disconnect fee, which apparently they already do. ;)

And of course, $12 is a lot of money to watch a single game on TV that is free to a lot of people.

VF21 said:
Instead of recommending that people cheat their cable or satellite company, if the game is that important for you why not just pay the $12 or whatever?
How is that cheating?:confused: In fact it was a Direct TV Customer Service Rep that told me to do that?

just moved into a new place and was offered with the 30day Comcast trial, just in time for the play-offs. was lucky enough to have NBA TV free until May 05. Well, i think Barkley was saying someone in TNT somewhat kind of messed-up on not having the Spurs-Kings series on.

Tough **** fans (from the NBA League Office)

A few years ago when ABC out bid NBC for the television rights, they claimed "more games televised" but if you read the fine print, there were actually FEWER broadcast games and more cable games. In other words, get cable or you're S.O.L.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but local cable companies -- at least the ones in my area -- don't carry NBATV or League Pass. I can't get those packages/channels without switching my cable provider and going to satellite.

It really sucks.