[Game] Game 10: Sacramento Kings vs. San Antonio Spurs, 11/15/14 7 PM PST, 10 PM EST

Who's to blame?

• The Kings

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Courtney Lee

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • The refs

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • the Illuminati

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kingsfans.com Official Game Thread
Game 10
Sacramento Kings versus San Antonio Spurs

By Stephen Tetsu, Resident Glutton for Punishment

Ref'd

Well that was fun. You've got to give it to the Kings. What other franchise has succeeded so well in the pursuit of the perfect loss? Coming on the heels of a loss to an injury-ravaged OKC team and a blowout-turned-buttwhooping against the Mavs, it would take a Herculean effort to somehow top the disappointment and misery of the last week. With the help of the refs and yet another epic meltdown in the second half, the Kings blew a 26 point lead to talk home the loss on the back of one of the most controversial calls I can remember about a Kings game in a long while.

If I'm not making sense, it's because I'm still sick, sick-deprived, and moving in-between the states of awake and asleep like Grandpa Joe at Thanksgiving. To be fair to me, I should only be half as sick as I am right now because the referees, much like the Kings in the entirety fourth quarter, dropped the ball in the last second of the game (literally).

Now obviously, I'm no expert official, which makes the fact that they didn't seem to see the same thing that the majority of people watching the game could see is slightly troubling as NBA officiating is apparently being manned by the less-sighted people of the world, which would be cool, were it not an official's job to see things as they happen and make the correct call.

I doubt the NBA is going to change the outcome of the game because the best way to deal with a mistake is to simply carry-on as if absolutely nothing happened at all but, and this is a big but, maybe they can give us a mulligan on our next bad call, just don't want any more game sixes in our future.

Tonight's Game

I'm sick and so this is going to be a very, very short one (also, Pop would make whatever I wrote moot by sitting half the guys I wrote about anyways).

Watching the Spurs game against the Lakers to research for the game tonight (You're welcome America.), I was struck by the simple fact that Hubie Brown is apparently the one man in America still high on the Lakers and also is perpetually in his 80s. When old guy Kobe is out there missing 20 shots a game, there's no way your franchise is going to win many games. Thankfully for us though, the Lakers at least mustered enough effort to force San Antonio to play its good players enough minutes to give Gregg Popovich pause to use them on the second night of a back-to-back.

But of course knowing our luck, Pop's going to play all his guys 35 minutes AND build a time machine to put vintage Admiral in the middle to further stack the deck.

Anyways the cough meds are really checking in now AND I've spent the last two hours typing this sentence so I will leave things a t there. Sorry for the lack of follow through or whatever. Flu/fever/lung conditions suck. This is why if anyone would like to volunteer or has anything cool to say, I'm always down to share game thread duties.

82 games is a lot of games.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Lets hope that playing at home is an advantage somehow, someway. Good matchups to watch if they all play. Collison v Parker. Gay v Leonard. Cuz v Duncan if they do matchup. Ben v Ginobili.

If Cuz can stay out of reasonable foul trouble, which has been difficult, we win tonight.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Gotta get back to cuz or gay being in court. Can't go full bench at once. We were 5-1 with the aforementioned sub pattern. Lost 3 in a row with full bench subs. Got to stagger collision as well to where sessions is in with gay and cuz

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I watched the 2nd half of the Memphis game again. What stood out was how passive Landry was in the game. The Kings didn't have him as a focal point, didn't make a point of getting him the ball near the basket, and just plain ignored him. He, in turn, just went through the motions and didn't call aggressively for the ball. Imo, Landry needs to be the primary focal point of the 2nd unit on offense; not Gay. I'd rather we throw it into Landry at the post than have Gay be the point forward on the perimeter. Also, if you don't get Landry a considerable number of shots when he's subbing, I don't see the point of having him in there at all; he's not a major defensive contributor. Heck, if the Kings want to do the same type of offense with the subs going forward (whatever offense that is exactly), and Landry continues to be a tertiary offensive option, I'd rather have him on the bench altogether and have Hollins take his place. At least then you'd have a guy in Hollins who wouldn't get the ball (like Landry), but who could make more of a defensive impact.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I watched the 2nd half of the Memphis game again. What stood out was how passive Landry was in the game. The Kings didn't have him as a focal point, didn't make a point of getting him the ball near the basket, and just plain ignored him. He, in turn, just went through the motions and didn't call aggressively for the ball. Imo, Landry needs to be the primary focal point of the 2nd unit on offense; not Gay. I'd rather we throw it into Landry at the post than have Gay be the point forward on the perimeter. Also, if you don't get Landry a considerable number of shots when he's subbing, I don't see the point of having him in there at all; he's not a major defensive contributor. Heck, if the Kings want to do the same type of offense with the subs going forward (whatever offense that is exactly), and Landry continues to be a tertiary offensive option, I'd rather have him on the bench altogether and have Hollins take his place. At least then you'd have a guy in Hollins who wouldn't get the ball (like Landry), but who could make more of a defensive impact.
I pretty much agree. If Malone insists on subbing the entire bench, I'd feed it to Landry and hope he finds a little aggression in his soul. Also, Nik needs shots whether they go in or not. Nick SHOULD end up being a major scorer coming off the bench so let's get started with that. Nik may be an entire failure but he's a rookie and although predicting his future by pointing out how Ben seems to be evolving is not great logic, let's remember that a high percentage of people on this forum thought Nik would be better than Ben. As a side bar to this conversation, I would not trade for a SG. For now, I'd live and die with Ben and Nik. The only trade I'd make would be for a PF or center.

I know people are really upset at our starting PF (insert name) but our starters are not doing bad on offense or defense unless I have been misreading the stats. I think we need a defensive big coming off the bench. I know this ship has sailed, but I liked Aldrich. A bench of Ray, Nik, Casspi, Landry, and Aldrich would not be bad.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
curious to see who sits out in this one for San Antonio...that being said, maybe in this one the Kings can get up by 30 and lose by four?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I don't think the Kings will go up big - I feel a see-saw back and forth type game...just depends on who makes the last run.

I do think that our bench as a whole gets a bit too much criticism for not scoring. One of the problems is Sessions personal struggle. If Sessions could hold his scoring drive a little better under control and focus on initiating ball movement, the bench would do fairly well. The other problem is Evans. He is a very gifted rebounder, but he is clearly not tall enough to be the rim protector for the second unit. I don't think that leaving Rudy on the floor with the second unit helps much. The only player from bench who cares about ball movement is Casspi. He usually is not in together with Rudy. Hence, Rudys production with the bench can't be very good.

Poll: Who's to blame for what? For our 5-4 start? For our three game losing streak? For our either 5-5 or 6-4 record after tonight?

Let' put our pieces together right for the game tonight and win the game. If we do, it won't be a surprise to me. I'll be there tonight with bells on. My first visit to SLA since the beginning of the season. Rise up Kings!!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Poll: Who's to blame for what? For our 5-4 start? For our three game losing streak? For our either 5-5 or 6-4 record after tonight?

Let' put our pieces together right for the game tonight and win the game. If we do, it won't be a surprise to me. I'll be there tonight with bells on. My first visit to SLA since the beginning of the season. Rise up Kings!!!
The schedule maker is at fault.

K

KingMilz

It's a winnable game unlike in previous seasons against the Spurs, just have to hope our main guys in DMC/DC/Rudini stay out of foul trouble.

I pretty much agree. If Malone insists on subbing the entire bench, I'd feed it to Landry and hope he finds a little aggression in his soul. Also, Nik needs shots whether they go in or not. Nick SHOULD end up being a major scorer coming off the bench so let's get started with that. Nik may be an entire failure but he's a rookie and although predicting his future by pointing out how Ben seems to be evolving is not great logic, let's remember that a high percentage of people on this forum thought Nik would be better than Ben. As a side bar to this conversation, I would not trade for a SG. For now, I'd live and die with Ben and Nik. The only trade I'd make would be for a PF or center.

I know people are really upset at our starting PF (insert name) but our starters are not doing bad on offense or defense unless I have been misreading the stats. I think we need a defensive big coming off the bench. I know this ship has sailed, but I liked Aldrich. A bench of Ray, Nik, Casspi, Landry, and Aldrich would not be bad.
Substitute JT for Aldrich and you have a deal. Get JT for the second unit by starting Hollins at PF. If it doesn't work like I think, change it again. C'est la vie.

The problem with Sessions is that he has no control over his unit, he is basicslly a SG playing PG. You can be a scoring guard and still have control of your unit, he doesn't.

The problem with Sessions is that he has no control over his unit, he is basicslly a SG playing PG. You can be a scoring guard and still have control of your unit, he doesn't.
Sessions should first control himself and his unforced turnovers before he can even begin to think about controlling others. We signed him to steady the bench and score. He has done neither effectively and many times to our detriment.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm personally not all that concerned about what Sessions has done elsewhere and how much he's making in relation to Ray. All I care about is what gives us the best chance at winning on any given night and while Sessions' offense right now isn't up to the level his career suggests, he's always been a horrible defender and that's the real issue I have now, that our backup unit couldn't defend me and four friends from my local gym.

So even if he were to start hitting shots at his normal clip and start resembling the Sessions his career suggests he is, that doesn't solve the defensive issue, the issue which is more important. Everything I've seen from Ray suggests he is a better defender both on impact and fundamentals. Whether Ray can run the offense as well as Sessions(and I don't think that's really a high bar to reach-at all) means little to me compared to which one can stay in front of their man.

We're not losing games due to lack of offensive production. We're losing games because our bench can't stop anyone and all the momentum our starters gain is handed right over to the opponent, making it even tough on our starters when they return.