Future of Willie Cauley-Stein?

I really think Koufos had more chase down blocks than WCS did last year. And that's saying something, considering Koufos isn't exactly a track star or a shot blocker. For sure, Koufos had more "chase-downs," period, than WCS.
Garrett Temple since he has been here has probably had more chase down blocks than every King combined.....that's only really cause of effort. Other than maybe Jakar/Temple I can barely remember any chase down's from any of our players.

When is the last time youv've seen a video of wcs working? Shooting? Lifting? Training?

Now when is the last time you've seen him painting? Rapping? Out at night (tmz)? Etc?

Its simple. He is not putting in the work.

Look at how thin he looks. As it i when he gets pushed around thats when he had to be subbed by koufos.

He can take his no rebounding, no boxing out, no attention on the defensive end a__ somewhere else when his contrct is over, or hopefully sooner.

This is why I said Europe IS his future.

Wcs is not strong enough to play center, sadly i dont see giles as a center.

To me wcs, giles, and bagley are all skinny pfs and not yet strong enough to play center.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Wcs is not strong enough to play center, sadly i dont see giles as a center.

To me wcs, giles, and bagley are all skinny pfs and not yet strong enough to play center.
Shouldn’t we wait until we actually see Giles on the floor? With most teams going smaller and smaller at the 5, they might be able to play it but we also have Koufos to help against bigger guys

The problem with Willie besides sounding high in this video...

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_hrnfie3k/

....is he destroyed his trade value with the way he finished last season. Any GM that fires up Synergy to remind themselves who this player is will see a guy loafing on D and making awkward forced moves on offense above his skeez and falling to the floor with the slightest of contact. After three years he hasn't answered the question "Who am I as a player?" The best answer I have is good lob target and not much else. Any team that adds him will not intend to extend him a qualifying offer in 2019 making him a UFA.

So if by some odd scenario that you like him you can get him without giving anything away next summer. For these reasons and others Willie is likely to return to the team. We need a team to come along like the Cavs did with Hill. There needs to be special circumstances related to other party to facilitate deal. It only takes one highly motivated (desperate) team to get a deal done.

There's a good Kings podcast I recommend from hoop-ball. com. The guy made an interesting point the way you become a master is teach to a pupil. The master learns along with the pupil. From my own experience I think there is validity to this. If Willie chooses to teach Bagley what he knows about the league, however limited it may be, it can be helpful to Willie as much as the rookie. This is about as optimistic as I can be.

Listen

Kingster

Hall of Famer
if Wall is a ball hog then so is CP3, Lowry & Rondo.....not sure where this is coming from, Wall has always set up his teammates since entering the league and the Wizards would be a lottery team if he missed significant time
You can be a ball hog and set up teamates. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying he's not very talented. He is. I'm saying that his ball hoggedness does not contribute to other teammates touching the ball, and if they did touch the ball more the Wizards would be better. Did you not hear how the other Wizard players were happy because Wall was out with injury last year? They wanted to see the ball whipped around rather than have it dominated by Wall.

The problem with Willie besides sounding high in this video...

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_hrnfie3k/

....is he destroyed his trade value with the way he finished last season. Any GM that fires up Synergy to remind themselves who this player is will see a guy loafing on D and making awkward forced moves on offense above his skeez and falling to the floor with the slightest of contact. After three years he hasn't answered the question "Who am I as a player?" The best answer I have is good lob target and not much else. Any team that adds him will not intend to extend him a qualifying offer in 2019 making him a UFA.

So if by some odd scenario that you like him you can get him without giving anything away next summer. For these reasons and others Willie is likely to return to the team. We need a team to come along like the Cavs did with Hill. There needs to be special circumstances related to other party to facilitate deal. It only takes one highly motivated (desperate) team to get a deal done.

There's a good Kings podcast I recommend from hoop-ball. com. The guy made an interesting point the way you become a master is teach to a pupil. The master learns along with the pupil. From my own experience I think there is validity to this. If Willie chooses to teach Bagley what he knows about the league, however limited it may be, it can be helpful to Willie as much as the rookie. This is about as optimistic as I can be.

Listen
Nice find. I've never heard of this website. Thanks!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You can be a ball hog and set up teamates. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying he's not very talented. He is. I'm saying that his ball hoggedness does not contribute to other teammates touching the ball, and if they did touch the ball more the Wizards would be better. Did you not hear how the other Wizard players were happy because Wall was out with injury last year? They wanted to see the ball whipped around rather than have it dominated by Wall.
I don't think you've watched many Wizards games. Wall sets up Beal, Gortat, Porter, Morris plenty of times. They don't always make the shots but he puts them in a good position. He also has the ball in his hands a lot, which is to be expected when you are the leader and PG of the team, he is also asked to be a scorer on top of being a passing PG, which is quite a burden considering his teammates, other than Beal, are average at best.

I don't think you've watched many Wizards games. Wall sets up Beal, Gortat, Porter, Morris plenty of times. They don't always make the shots but he puts them in a good position. He also has the ball in his hands a lot, which is to be expected when you are the leader and PG of the team, he is also asked to be a scorer on top of being a passing PG, which is quite a burden considering his teammates, other than Beal, are average at best.
Didn't the Wizards go on a winning streak when wall was out?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I watched several games last year, especially in the playoffs. The team looked better when the ball was going much more through Porter. Their offense is too Wall dominant, imo. What he is asked and what he is not asked by the coach is beyond my awareness, as I'm not in their locker room. If he ever wants to win it all he's going to have to relinquish domination of the ball and get others like Porter to be involved in the offense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I watched several games last year, especially in the playoffs. The team looked better when the ball was going much more through Porter. Their offense is too Wall dominant, imo. What he is asked and what he is not asked by the coach is beyond my awareness, as I'm not in their locker room. If he ever wants to win it all he's going to have to relinquish domination of the ball and get others like Porter to be involved in the offense.
since you watched the playoffs, you can see that Wall was the only one who showed up to play in the playoffs, his teammates didn't follow suite and I can't say that it was because Wall was being a ball hog but was required to turn more into a scoring PG since his teammates laid a big egg.

Didn't the Wizards go on a winning streak when wall was out?
They were like 1-2 games over 500. in like the over 30 game or so he missed and when they went on the streak it was against inferior teams/teams at the same level as them without Wall.

The whole they are better without Wall thing is rubbish teams really started figuring out Brad Beal as a #1 option and Thomas Satoransky played at his best possible level for them just to be 1 or 2 games over 500. Wall is without question the best player on the team but who knows maybe with other pieces instead of him they might be better (that's a big if).

There's enough big talent to ring out the very best and put the others on the block. I personally think this might have been the best possible pick in terms of forcing WCS to step up and really PLAY and prove what he's capable of. Bagley is young, he's hungry and he's out to prove he's worth that #2 slot. AND, as an added bonus, he's said all along he really wanted to be here. I know Vlade values that and so do I.

Make WCS prove himself or see what we can get for him ... and I like Willie.

It's gonna be fun.
We got Hield for Cousins. Do you think bringing Adam Morrison out of retirement is asking too much for WCS?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
When is the last time youv've seen a video of wcs working? Shooting? Lifting? Training?

Now when is the last time you've seen him painting? Rapping? Out at night (tmz)? Etc?

Its simple. He is not putting in the work.

Look at how thin he looks. As it i when he gets pushed around thats when he had to be subbed by koufos.

He can take his no rebounding, no boxing out, no attention on the defensive end a__ somewhere else when his contrct is over, or hopefully sooner.

This is why I said Europe IS his future.
WCS is 24 years old; Bagley is 19. Bagley looks bigger than WCS and about the same height. WCS almost look emaciated compared to Bagley. When he fills out in a couple of years I can see Bagley as a pretty physical forward in this league.

If WCS can't make a decent leap this season - especially since it's his RFA year next offseason - then he's not really worth keeping anyway.

I actually think he'll be improved this season... we'll see.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS is a crucial component to the Kings upward trajectory over the next 2 seasons. He is going to help Giles and Marvin play the game their tailored to play. Those who think his days are numbered here are underestimating the enemy, the frontcourt needs Wilie.
He's a crucial component to laziness. The only way it works out is if Bagley and Giles rubs off on him; not the other way around.

Willie won't ever reach his potential until he gets away from Joerger. George Karl had him playing the right way his rookie season. He took high percentage shots and was a much better rim protector. Karl let his ball handlers do the ball handling and his unskilled big guys do the finishing.

Joerger shows up and needs a Marc Gasol to run his offense so he plugs WCS into that role. Two years later we get a center who shoots inefficiently and doesn't rim protect very well but dammit he now gets 2 assists a game so the wasted two years has been worth it right?

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Willie-Cauley-Stein/Summary/24287

Look at WCS's stats when he played in summer league when getting ready to Karl's scheme and getting ready for Joerger's scheme.

After the Karl hiring he scored 11pts, 2.8blk and shot 51% from the field in SL.

Joerger gets hired the next year and WCS is inexplicably now playing at the high post in summer league and failing miserably.

7pts, .75blk and shot 26% from the field in SL.

Yeah yeah I know, summer league and small sample size. But remember how poorly WCS started that year? It took Ty Lawson spoon feeding him bucket after bucket to pull his sophomore season out of the grave. He was absolutely useless in the role Joerger had him in until Lawson turned him into a finisher instead of the job of creator that he had for the first month or two. I get on to Willie a lot for his lackadaisical soft play but he has been horribly mismanaged for the last 2 years here.

Willie won't ever reach his potential until he gets away from Joerger. George Karl had him playing the right way his rookie season. He took high percentage shots and was a much better rim protector. Karl let his ball handlers do the ball handling and his unskilled big guys do the finishing.

Joerger shows up and needs a Marc Gasol to run his offense so he plugs WCS into that role. Two years later we get a center who shoots inefficiently and doesn't rim protect very well but dammit he now gets 2 assists a game so the wasted two years has been worth it right?

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Willie-Cauley-Stein/Summary/24287

Look at WCS's stats when he played in summer league when getting ready to Karl's scheme and getting ready for Joerger's scheme.

After the Karl hiring he scored 11pts, 2.8blk and shot 51% from the field in SL.

Joerger gets hired the next year and WCS is inexplicably now playing at the high post in summer league and failing miserably.

7pts, .75blk and shot 26% from the field in SL.

Yeah yeah I know, summer league and small sample size. But remember how poorly WCS started that year? It took Ty Lawson spoon feeding him bucket after bucket to pull his sophomore season out of the grave. He was absolutely useless in the role Joerger had him in until Lawson turned him into a finisher instead of the job of creator that he had for the first month or two. I get on to Willie a lot for his lackadaisical soft play but he has been horribly mismanaged for the last 2 years here.
Huh? Karls offense has the bigs in the high post and 3pt line. The whole dribble drive is based on having the paint clear. Karl is the one who moved cuz out to the 3 pt line.

Huh? Karls offense has the bigs in the high post and 3pt line. The whole dribble drive is based on having the paint clear. Karl is the one who moved cuz out to the 3 pt line.
Karl had Cousins move out to the 3pt line because he could shoot. He had Willie setting screens out there but he was always rolling to the hoop catching lobs. Rondo and Collison initiated the offense. Willie wasn't out there looking for cutters at the top of the key like he does in Joerger's offense.

WCS is a crucial component to the Kings upward trajectory over the next 2 seasons. He is going to help Giles and Marvin play the game their tailored to play. Those who think his days are numbered here are underestimating the enemy, the frontcourt needs Wilie.
Completely disagree, if he were in fact a crucial component the FO and the fans who watch this team would be suporting him. I would say 90% of the fans know WCS is prolly traded or wont be re-signed. Wcs is lazy and thinks he is an offensive superstar who should have been workimg on being an elite defender/rebounder. Imo youre reachin