Future of Willie Cauley-Stein?

I don't think WCS has to go. First of all we should not count Giles as a hatched chick and in the best case scenario where he is awesome going forward we could have a nice front court. Not saying I wouldn't shop him because I absolutely would to test his market going into his FA and to see if we could nab a SF.

He’s gone.
Skal, as well.
I wonder if the Kings are still going after Randle, Gordon. Probably not.

They will grossly overpay to sign a Restricted FA:
McDermott, Hood or Parker.

I don't think WCS has to go. First of all we should not count Giles as a hatched chick and in the best case scenario where he is awesome going forward we could have a nice front court. Not saying I wouldn't shop him because I absolutely would to test his market going into his FA and to see if we could nab a SF.
WCS is worthless. Vlade probably dangled him in a trade to Denver and they fell out of their chair laughing. Let him continue his Mr. Rogers painting and cap design.

No way the Kings are holding on to 6 bigs.
If anyone goes first, it’s WCS.

Randolph has no trade value
Koufas is locked in
Skal is much younger
Giles is next man up
Bagley will be starting at some point next season

Ide love to keep Willie trill, but from reading his body language, I don't think he wants to be here.
I'm not sure he really wants to be anywhere....or maybe he wants to be everywhere. I sometimes think the guy is in another world.

I suspect he is on the team to start the season. He has two good games, and then five bad. Provides a groovy post-game interview where he talks about getting to "another level" with his outside shot and needs to start getting "fed" the ball. It becomes clear we aren't going to give him a new contract and so we all get excited at what we might be able to trade him for at the deadline. We trade him for a late second rounder from the Dubs and this site goes bonkers.

gee I thought I had Shooting as a skill for all three?

maybe not 3 pt shooters, Is that what you are saying?
You dont have very efficent offense with two non (three point) shooting bigs plus non shooting Fox. In general you always need to have a lot of spacing and that requires three point shooting.

You dont have very efficent offense with two non (three point) shooting bigs plus non shooting Fox. In general you always need to have a lot of spacing and that requires three point shooting.
So I Guess we need Bagley and Zbo start, And Giles and Skal off the bench so we have a 3 pt big out there after we dump WCS?

im Sorry Zbo is just to slow to run with Bagley and Skal is not close to WCS as a player

So now we need another Big that is a Stretch 4?

Last edited:
The guy has been doing a Derrick Williams the entire time he has been here, he does just enough to pull you in based on the skills/athletic ability and than reminds you who he is really is by doing the butterfly/Casper the friendly ghost act. Trade him with something else and try get a starting level SF.

So I Guess we need Bagley and Zbo start, And Giles and Skal off the bench so we have a 3 pt big out there after we dump WCS?

im Sorry Zbo is just to slow to run with Bagley and Skal is not close to WCS as a player

So now we need another Big that is a Stretch 4?
I would say we need to use Bagley and Giles as our bigs, trade the others for assets and aqcuire shooting wings/combo forwards + stretch 4's.

That means starting Fox, Bogs, Wing, Combo forward, Bagley. I have no idea where to get that wing and combo forward, was hoping to get one in the draft

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There's enough big talent to ring out the very best and put the others on the block. I personally think this might have been the best possible pick in terms of forcing WCS to step up and really PLAY and prove what he's capable of. Bagley is young, he's hungry and he's out to prove he's worth that #2 slot. AND, as an added bonus, he's said all along he really wanted to be here. I know Vlade values that and so do I.

Make WCS prove himself or see what we can get for him ... and I like Willie.

It's gonna be fun.

I'm not sure he really wants to be anywhere....or maybe he wants to be everywhere. I sometimes think the guy is in another world.

I suspect he is on the team to start the season. He has two good games, and then five bad. Provides a groovy post-game interview where he talks about getting to "another level" with his outside shot and needs to start getting "fed" the ball. It becomes clear we aren't going to give him a new contract and so we all get excited at what we might be able to trade him for at the deadline. We trade him for a late second rounder from the Dubs and this site goes bonkers.
Trust the prophecy?

There's enough big talent to ring out the very best and put the others on the block. I personally think this might have been the best possible pick in terms of forcing WCS to step up and really PLAY and prove what he's capable of. Bagley is young, he's hungry and he's out to prove he's worth that #2 slot. AND, as an added bonus, he's said all along he really wanted to be here. I know Vlade values that and so do I.

Make WCS prove himself or see what we can get for him ... and I like Willie.

It's gonna be fun.
Nope. Last thing they need is wcs playing for a contract only to revert after he gets it

I would say we need to use Bagley and Giles as our bigs, trade the others for assets and aqcuire shooting wings/combo forwards + stretch 4's.

That means starting Fox, Bogs, Wing, Combo forward, Bagley. I have no idea where to get that wing and combo forward, was hoping to get one in the draft

But you just said we have to have one 3 pt big out there at all times
We have 6 bigs now - NO MORE BIGS until Feb or next year when we drop 2 or 3, have cap space
Then if we can get a stretch 4 - maybe

Right now we need SFs in the worst way
If we can trade Any of Zbo,KK,Skal, WCS for a starting SF THAT is what we do

Nope. Last thing they need is wcs playing for a contract only to revert after he gets it
Yep and based on what we've seen so far that's exactly what would happen. The key is getting some other sucker to give something up for him and then let them pay him. WCS is certainly not unique in this regard, many players have and will continue to get paid on potential and inconsistent glimpses only to get paid and checkout for good.

Last time I checked the Kings still need players at the 4 and 5 and more than two guys to back them up. No one is automatically expendable becasue the Kings drafted Bagley. He has to earn the spot first. Willie and Z-bo can play the 5. KK is the backup. We can hope for Giles to be able to play.

I think Willie is a goner. I think he starts the season with us, hopefully plays very well for some teams to give us something meaningful, and is gone.

I actually like Willie, and say this without any malice. However, we have 6 bigs on the roster, including 4 young guys, none of whom can shoot from outside. In the modern NBA, that's like having 4 bigs too many. Willie is the one likely to get the highest value in the short term. Plus, we have to decide on his contract soon.

The only way I see him continuing next year with us is if Giles hype is proven to be false, and/or we trade Bagley for someone like Kawhi Leonard. Very unlikely, given that he has clearly expressed his interest in playing in LA. However, if he does agree to extend with us, we can provide the Spurs with several expiring contracts, additional cap space for next year (by absorbing Pau's salary in our cap space, and some exciting young talent, including this year's #2. Short of landing a star, this is not a bad haul for them, and will allow them to rebuild from scratch.

Last time I checked the Kings still need players at the 4 and 5 and more than two guys to back them up. No one is automatically expendable becasue the Kings drafted Bagley. He has to earn the spot first. Willie and Z-bo can play the 5. KK is the backup. We can hope for Giles to be able to play.
I agree with you. (That happens about once a month, so it's worth noting.) Now we're going to get a gaggle of posters who will say that Bagley should be a starter from day 1. I happen to think that all rookies need to earn it as an NBA player. No gimmies.

I do think that Marvin and Willie could work out very well together in the starting line-up (probably the most likely starting line-up at the moment). In my opinion, this is Willie's last year/chance to prove himself within this organization. If it doesn't pan out, he is gone at the trade deadline or next offseason.

But you just said we have to have one 3 pt big out there at all times
We have 6 bigs now - NO MORE BIGS until Feb or next year when we drop 2 or 3, have cap space
Then if we can get a stretch 4 - maybe

Right now we need SFs in the worst way
If we can trade Any of Zbo,KK,Skal, WCS for a starting SF THAT is what we do
I wouldnt play two bigs at the same time since none of them are 3 point shooters. I would only play one big and a combo forward next to him.

And I agree, I would do anything I can to get any value from wcs and skal in the trade market

This will be interesting situation to follow now. I can see WCS, Bagley and maybe Giles (if he is as good as advertised) as a good 3 big men rotation going forward. However, Kings are at a point where they need to make a call on WCS now. Do they keep him or let him go? If they go into the season with the intention of seeing how things pan out during the season, then we could have an asset that is losing value.

It’s sad for me to say but I would always look forward to KK coming in and WCS sitting down.
I remember his summer league games when he came to us and thought WOW but it turned out like a new car that ended up a lemon.

the majority of us dont want his butt here either, so its mutual. he has had chance after chance at this point, so good riddance.
Seriously??? This is what it has come to? And I’m not picking just on you. While the premise of the thread is reasonable (what happens to WCS now that we have Bagley and Giles), some of the content is ridiculous. Apparently some on this board need someone to HATE and vehemently attack. I love when people respond and say, “this is an internet message board, this is how it is.” I belong to a lot of other message boards for my teams in other sports and college, and on no other board do I see some of the members so gleefully flame and eat their own players.

Willie isn’t Deandre Jordan or Joel Embiid. But he is far from a bum, or a lemon, or a bust, as has been suggested in this thread. He is a third year player who averaged 13/7/2.5 with a steal and a block per game in 28 minutes. That is above average production for a young guy with still some growing to do. Does he sometimes disappear and lack intensity, yes, but he has also improved scoring, rebounding and assists in each season. I think giving up on him as though he has no role in the league is a huge mistake.

But I guess now that Boogie is gone, Hill is gone, and the Doncic fantasy is over, we need someone to be the “problem” and someone that we can just flame from behind anonymous accounts.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
hopefully Willie doesn't have much of a future here but based on the presser from Vlade, I feel he intends to keep him around for the time being. It also could be possible the Kings lose him for nothing if he decides to leave as a free agent.