Future of Vlade

If youngsters don’t show real improvement this year could it be Vlade’s last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When every team but 1 can sign a free agent doesn’t indicate a problem to you???
Dude, you continue to spin things to meet your agenda. No the Kings haven't signed a free agent this year but I'm not convinced that's the bottom line requirement you seem to think it is.

Lots of posters have commented about why they aren't upset about the free agent no-signing so I'm not going to repeat their arguments. TaxMan, kingsboi and Capt. Factorial have covered it quite well (just to name the most recent 3).

So once again, I'll just reiterate that NO, the Kings not signing a free agent at this point doesn't indicate a problem to me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm trying to remember the story. There was an owner that complained to his GM that he didn't sign anyone so the GM made a call with the owner standing there and made a ridiculous offer to a player. Then said "happy now?'
Sounds like something Red Auerbach might have done. :)

1) We did sign a free agent. His name is Zach LaVine, and he was a restricted free agent. His old team matched somewhat unexpectedly, so they get to keep him. (LaVine was reportedly telling Kings players at summer league that he thought he was going to be playing in Sac.)

2) While it's true that we did miss out on free agents we did want (for instance Hezonja, whom we evidently offered more money AND more years, but who was determined to take a one-year deal and try free agency again next summer) that doesn't mean that we should turn around and respond by signing guys we don't want, just to sign a guy. There are a couple of paths that make sense right now.

One is that now that we are basically the only players in the market, we can try to use that as leverage to get a player for less money than they might otherwise command. For instance, while Rodney Hood may not exactly be the greatest target, who is going to pay him at this point? Nobody. So we have the opportunity to pick him up on the cheap - as long as he agrees and the Cavs don't match.

Another path we can take is to use our cap space to eat a bad contract and pick up some draft compensation. Ever wonder why it's taking so long for the Thunder to just cut Carmelo? They've already telegraphed the fact that they're going to do it. It's just a matter of whether or not they can trade him instead. Well, here's the thing - to my knowledge there's literally ONE team that can conceivably improve the Thunder's situation relative to outright waiving Carmelo, and that's the Kings. Ever wonder if maybe we're negotiating something there?
We did not sign a free agent. We made on offer that failed. Understanding how to land your target is part of the job.

Cavs have said they will match. We shall see. Vlade could pull out a win in overtime but not looking good.

Dude, you continue to spin things to meet your agenda. No the Kings haven't signed a free agent this year but I'm not convinced that's the bottom line requirement you seem to think it is.

Lots of posters have commented about why they aren't upset about the free agent no-signing so I'm not going to repeat their arguments. TaxMan, kingsboi and Capt. Factorial have covered it quite well (just to name the most recent 3).

So once again, I'll just reiterate that NO, the Kings not signing a free agent at this point doesn't indicate a problem to me.
Facts are not spinning. The Kings made moves to open up cap space. They needed a SF and failed to address their need. They did not execute their plan. The only one spinning is you.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We did not sign a free agent. We made on offer that failed. Understanding how to land your target is part of the job.

Cavs have said they will match. We shall see. Vlade could pull out a win in overtime but not looking good.
Lavine signed the offer sheet. He was ready to be a King. Also, a GM needs to understand when not to give a contract just to look like they are doing something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Ah, the picking of the nits. We actually did SIGN a binding offer with Zach LaVine. One of the conditions was the clause that negated the offer sheet if it was matched. It was matched, which rendered our contract with LaVine moot.

I’m not sure that’s really a comparable situation. Vlade is literally the BEST free agent the team has ever attracted and that was TWENTY YEARS AGO. I mean, that’s like 2 or 3 CBA’s ago. I’m not sure the free agency environment is even comparable. All the others were basically complementary players added to a solid/playoff contending team. Those will happen when we turn the corner with the young guys. Right now, our FA targets must be limited to the right age/salary profile to make any sense to the team and the player we are trying to attract.
We weren’t a contending team when we signed Vlade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Facts are not spinning. The Kings made moves to open up cap space. They needed a SF and failed to address their need. They did not execute their plan. The only one spinning is you.
They have JJ, Temple, Shumpert and Bogi to man the position if they don’t acquire one through trade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Whatever. I'm done trying to argue with you when it's apparent your opinion is the only one you deem valid. I'm gonna go back to trying to discuss thermonuclear dynamics with my cat. It's a much better discussion.

Whatever. I'm done trying to argue with you when it's apparent your opinion is the only one you deem valid. I'm gonna go back to trying to discuss thermonuclear dynamics with my cat. It's a much better discussion.
Right back at you.... I at least am honest about Vlade’s positive moves ( such as the trade for Bogdan) but in your opinion anyone saying X is a problem is anti King because they don’t match your philosophy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Right back at you.... I at least am honest about Vlade’s positive moves ( such as the trade for Bogdan) but in your opinion anyone saying X is a problem is anti King because they don’t match your philosophy.
Nice, You suckered me into another comment.

You specifically asked me for my opinion. I gave it to you. Have a nice day.

What's not acceptable is the attitude that we are somehow lesser fans.
I don't have an opinion or care what makes a "fan" lesser or greater.

I think some folks here are less objective than others.

I think some fans are less correct regarding how things are going to play out than others.

I think post upon post over 12 years prove that out pretty well.

I don't measure your fandom, and I don't care about it. I've measured your opinions ... and found those to be less correct and/or objective than others.

The bottom line is the Kings were never going to be players in FA this year. Even Peaches stated that. They are going to have to be players on the trade market. And now that FA is settling down, trades are not that far off. If nothing has changed by Oct 1st then I can see this thread starting. Until then this is just utter knee jerk bull.
It’s anything but knee jerk bull.

Assuming the youngsters (Fox, Jackson, Bagley, Skal) don’t progress (which was a key assumption in my question) you are left with 3 credible players. Bogdan, Hield and Giles. Two of them are going to have their contracts end in 2020 (Bogdan and Hield). You have no 1st round pick and the team can only be improved by free agency.

Are you going to bet on Vlade to sign the missing pieces next summer? He purposely cleared cap space and failed this year. If he fails again, you going to have another sub-par year and have a good chance of loosing Bogdan and Hield. At that point you are really back to square one. You better have your plan in place now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He purposely cleared cap space and failed this year.
We apparently pursued two players. Cap flexibility does not mean going all in after anyone with a pulse.

I suspect us to be active in the trade market once the FA fury dies down. That includes probably a minor move by opening day and a major move by the deadline.

Who was this mythical SF they should have signed that was going to come to Sac and have an immediate impact ie.. a sure thing? And dont say Hezonja because while intriguing he is definitely unrealized potential only at this point and probably wont reach it.
Available free agents:
Hezonja (more potential than Jackson)
McDermott ( signed with small market Indiana)
Anderson (signed with small market Memphis)
Joe Harris ( signed with bottom dwelling Nets)
Jabari Parker ( signed with bottom dwelling Bulls)
Ilyasova- ( signed with Milwaukee)

It sucks that Vlade keeps missing out on opportunities to obtain first rounders.

He lost one in the cousins trade, could of traded doncic for a first + a player, lost our pick to philly, probably could of made some deals to trade capspace for a 1st.

When you add all that up its a lot of missed potential talent.

I like the young talent hes brought in, but he needs to start capitalizing in other areas.

Available free agents:
Hezonja and Anderson were the only two guys I thought really worth even looking into and Hezonja wanted a short-term deal and liked Fizdale apparently and Anderson got way more than he should have with Memphis. I'm also not convinced either of those guys make the Kings any better. This free agent class had crazy talent at the top but it dropped off quickly. I'm mildly concerned about Vlade not netting any free agents, but I don't think any of the difference makers in free agency were an option.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hezonja and Anderson were the only two guys I thought really worth even looking into and Hezonja wanted a short-term deal and liked Fizdale apparently and Anderson got way more than he should have with Memphis. I'm also not convinced either of those guys make the Kings any better. This free agent class had crazy talent at the top but it dropped off quickly. I'm mildly concerned about Vlade not netting any free agents, but I don't think any of the difference makers in free agency were an option.
Some of those other guys are flat out terrible and then Parker took $20 million to go to his hometown. Seriously??? If we signed him to 20 million people would be going ape...

Following this team is an exercise in frustration. Every once in a while you catch lightning in a bottle and get a small window. We actually have 4 or 5 exciting prospects and are on the verge of catching that lightning. If we overpay on some nobody or high risk dude, we crash that window. Look at the mess Olshey made in Portland. Look at Minnesota, after years of doing nothing with KG, they go as long as we have missing playoffs, and now have completely bungled it. They have a big 3 that seemingly hate each other and can't wait to be broken up, and the coach that many people lusted over seems to be a nightmare to play for.

Can we just appreciate that we seem to have some stability, a positive vibe with all the kids that are here, and flexibility to wait for the right move going forward, while the West sorts itself out. I'd say we have 4 years (LeBron's contract) to work our way into a 4-5 seed and then maybe a window will open the following year. Let's play it slow.

Available free agents:
Hezonja put similar numbers in his 3rd season that Jackson did in his 1st. It is premature to say one will be better than the other.

McDermott does nothing but shoot. He is a net negative in my book.

Harris resigned with his own team almost immediately after teams were allowed to talk (doesn't appear he even tried to talk to anybody else even though it looked like there would be a lot of interest).

The last 2 are both PFs IMO. They would've been hard up to find enough minutes.

It sucks that Vlade keeps missing out on opportunities to obtain first rounders.

He lost one in the cousins trade, could of traded doncic for a first + a player, lost our pick to philly, probably could of made some deals to trade capspace for a 1st.

When you add all that up its a lot of missed potential talent.

I like the young talent hes brought in, but he needs to start capitalizing in other areas.
im gonna continue to reserve judgement for a bit.. his trades outside of the original (just in the office not knowing what he was doing deal with Philly) have been good and landed Harry Giles and Skal at the end of the first. Plus the balls to trade Cousins which ensured us keeping our 1st round that year (fox) then getting Giles and mason? look at that trade to get Bogie. We have to wait at least 2 years now with all the talent we have PLUS the fact that GS is killing the NBA at least for the next 2 years

Last edited:
All of them would be a statistical improvement over Jackson last year.

So in your "worst case scenario", Fox and Bagley (I'm only going to focus on these 2 because they are our true lottery picks, aka top 14) will NOT progress from their '1 rookie season' and 'hasn't even touched the court yet' season?

The question was if they don’t progress what do you do? It’s called a scenario and scenario planning. Happens in business and the military all the time. And the scenario is mostly Fox and JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.