Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

Last edited:
I have never read anywhere that Otto Porter JR is unhappy in DC. I would think his ideal scenario this whole time was to force the Wizards to pay him as much as possible. I don't see it as choosing BRKN over Sacramento. More that if the Wizards balked, he would rather stay East where the road to the All Star game (and playoffs) are going to be easier.

I have never read anywhere that Otto Porter JR is unhappy in DC. I would think his ideal scenario this whole time was to force the Wizards to pay him as much as possible. I don't see it as choosing BRKN over Sacramento. More that if the Wizards balked, he would rather stay East where the road to the All Star game (and playoffs) are going to be easier.

Interesting point. If that's the way he thinks, I'm glad he's not coming here!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well I am just offering the view point as a possibility. My main point was just because we didn't land any given player doesn't automatically mean we are still viewed as an undesirable destination.
I think it was quite possibly a consideration and, like you, I don't think it means he had a negative view of the Kings.

People need to forget about "screwing up the draft order" angle.

Even with the signings, this team is 30 win team at best. That is absolute best. There is a clear plan for this team going into the season.

Veterans are there to start the season and get kids hungry for some minutes. As the season progresses the kids will start getting more and more minutes. This team will still lose a lot and end up with a top 5 pick no doubt. Veterans will get rested as the season progresses and kids will be getting more minutes as they have this past season. With a top 5 pick, Kings will continue to add high end talent while still building a culture of hard work and playing hard and playing to win every game.

The veterans are not that good that they will make a massive difference to a win total, especially in a stacked Western Conference. Kings will still lose plenty but they will lose the right way and the tank job by the front office and the coaching staff will continue especially in the second half of the season.
I hope its a short progression..... I am especially interested in seeing Mason and Jackson get some good minutes and playing time.

That's not necessarily true. We may have pulled the offer when he decided to check out other teams. Maybe we didn't want to wait in him. Brooklyn may have been the only deal he still had on the table, so he took it to ensure a max deal.
I mean, we still had the space after these moves and we still have the space to sign him as we speak, so why would we have pulled it if we were interested? It's true that other possibilities can exist, but, I really was hoping to best out Brooklyn, Brooklyn, for his interest.

Mainly I'm just a little perturbed though because I'm not seeing the opportunities to really revamp that SF position in such a fashion as getting a Porter, or the opportunity for another rising stud like that this summer anyhow

honestly, I'm fine with Vince Carter being signed as our starter at SF or a second unit leader..not sure if we'll start Randolph or not at this point. I'm pretty sure Dave is going to start Koufos.

- Former superstar the youngins are bound to look up to

-Former Tar Heel as well to mentor Justin Jackson

-Former Joerger guy

- Good character guy who isn't stuck in the past

- Still produces very well in spurts

- Minutes can range from 10-15 minutes whether he's a starter or not. Just a good guy to have if we're going with no sure guarantee of playing time for the youngins.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
honestly, I'm fine with Vince Carter being signed as our starter at SF or a second unit leader..not sure if we'll start Randolph or not at this point. I'm pretty sure Dave is going to start Koufos.

- Former superstar the youngins are bound to look up to

-Former Tar Heel as well to mentor Justin Jackson

-Former Joerger guy

- Good character guy who isn't stuck in the past

- Still produces very well in spurts

- Minutes can range from 10-15 minutes whether he's a starter or not. Just a good guy to have if we're going with no sure guarantee of playing time for the youngins.
I forgot we had talked to him. I'd be far happier with him on a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe an in-road into coaching, than CJ Miles or another guy on a 3 year deal.

Otherwise we may as well just work a cap-saver deal out for a SF that nets future assets.