FOX 40 News says Courtney Alexander

Heuge said:
He played dumb on the court.
True Gerald didn't often make the best decision, but put yourself in his shoes. He was playing maybe a combined 10-20 minutes per WEEK, and that was all garbage time. When your coach has thrown you to the end of the bench, you would be under a lot of pressure and trying to do everything in your power to get his attention. Yes, GW's erratic alley-oop and dunk attempts were often uncalled for, but IMO he was resorting to desparate measures, as it seemed that his coach had given up on him.

I can see the same thing happening to our rookies if we sign someone like Courtney Alexander. We've seen how Adelman is hung up on veterans and how he doesn't give minutes to his younger players. The development of the rookies should be tops on our priority list, for the sake of this team's future.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
JayBird said:
Brick, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that this is a good pick up, assuming we stay healthy? If so, that is a huge assumption, given our recent history and the fact that #4 is still on the roster. I'd rather have a roster prepared for injury (something we haven't really ever had) than another talent filled roster (something that we've had for the last 5 seasons, and something that has gotten us 0 rings).
I'm saying all that matters is the playoffs. If we've learned anything, we know by now that if we are significantly hurt in the playoffs we are dead. And some 5th big man scrub is going to make exactly zero difference if Miller or Webb goes down in May. And so I'd rather have as much talent as its physically possible to have stacked on our healthy roster for the title run than just a body to stash around if somebody gets hurt during the regular season. You have to figure that if big man #5 is basically a warm body, and he would almost have to be given that no real player is going to come here and sit behind 4 guys who will eat all the minutes, we can probably pick somebody up at a similar level mid year if we have a major injury, or even stash a guy like Ford on the IL for a few months if he impresses in camp.

Before this move we were basically backing up Peja/Christie/Bibby/Bobby with 3 rookies. 2 late picks and an undrafted FA. That's a little scary. Now we've got a more proven guy to fill in. And lest anybody forgets, this guy still might have MORE upside than any of the rooks. He's not old by any stretch, and was a huge college scorer at a major school. Not as if we picked up the creaky vet with limited talent here. Now I would NOT have been in favor of picking up Peeler for another year to put in front of another young player, because he has no future, and not much present. But a guy like Alexander...you never know, he might BE the future if he blossoms.

On the GW point, I think we will learn alot about him this year. My bet, is that he has alot of highlights but plays poorly overall.
On the Courtney Alexander side, I think the Kings need to try to win now. Preparing for the future is important but at what cost? Relying on two rookies is scary.

Good points. I guess I'm just really excited about our two rookies, especially after their showing in summer league. I just don't want to see what happened to Wallace happen to these two at the expense of Alexander.

JayBird said:
Good points. I guess I'm just really excited about our two rookies, especially after their showing in summer league. I just don't want to see what happened to Wallace happen to these two at the expense of Alexander.
You also have to realize that the rookies are 20/21 years old and came from small colleges and have alot to learn. Although I'm excited about Martin and looking forward to him playing the guy will need some time to develop.

Ryle said:
You also have to realize that the rookies are 20/21 years old and came from small colleges and have alot to learn. Although I'm excited about Martin and looking forward to him playing the guy will need some time to develop.
That's been my point all along. With Alexander at backup OG and Adelman as coach, he just won't get a chance to develop.

Peja developed under Adelman. Hedo developed as far as he could considering our roster. I am still thinking that RA didn't play GW much because of what GW did or did not do. (ie its not RA fault)

Heuge said:
Peja developed under Adelman. Hedo developed as far as he could considering our roster. I am still thinking that RA didn't play GW much because of what GW did or did not do. (ie its not RA fault)
Peja developed because he was our 6th man behind Corliss Williamson, and had the opportunity to play 20-25 min./game. When Williamson left, Peja was our starter, and that is when he really started to show signs of tremendous improvemnt year by year. The reason he started is that we basically had no one else that could play SF.

I disagree about Hedo. Even today, I consider him an underdeveloped player, and I think he will be a journeyman throughout his career. He plays with no confidence, and I think that Rick Adelman and Greg Popovich have a lot to do with that. I think he will shine this year in Orlando.

And again, none of us know what did or did not happen with GW, so it's tough to place blame.

JayBird said:
Peja developed because he was our 6th man behind Corliss Williamson, and had the opportunity to play 20-25 min./game. When Williamson left, Peja was our starter, and that is when he really started to show signs of tremendous improvemnt year by year. The reason he started is that we basically had no one else that could play SF.

I disagree about Hedo. Even today, I consider him an underdeveloped player, and I think he will be a journeyman throughout his career. He plays with no confidence, and I think that Rick Adelman and Greg Popovich have a lot to do with that. I think he will shine this year in Orlando.

And again, none of us know what did or did not happen with GW, so it's tough to place blame.
I think people said the same thing when Hedo went to San Antonio.

He may shine but it's probably going to be because Orlando will suck so bad and he will pretty much be their offense.

Ryle said:
I think people said the same thing when Hedo went to San Antonio.

He may shine but it's probably going to be because Orlando will suck so bad and he will pretty much be their offense.
That's what I meant. I don't think Hedo has what it takes to contribute to a playoff team, but throw him on a crappy team with no offensive firepower, and he will shine, along with just about any other player in this league. When he went to San Antonio, I didn't expect anything out of him, because the Spurs roster was packed. And that was before Manu Ginobili became the star that he is now. But I don't think there is anyone on Orlando that can threaten Hedo's starting job, so I think he'll be a 20/5/5 type player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
JayBird said:
That's what I meant. I don't think Hedo has what it takes to contribute to a playoff team, but throw him on a crappy team with no offensive firepower, and he will shine, along with just about any other player in this league. When he went to San Antonio, I didn't expect anything out of him, because the Spurs roster was packed. And that was before Manu Ginobili became the star that he is now. But I don't think there is anyone on Orlando that can threaten Hedo's starting job, so I think he'll be a 20/5/5 type player.
20/5/5 at this point?

Well if he does, some of the best minds in the business are going to look pretty stupid. I once thought he had that sort of potential, but really, he's another guy with both a weak mind and who hasn't worked on his game. Gone backwards actually.

If Stevie and Cutino will actually pass him the ball (doubtful) I could see him getting up into the mid-teens somewhere, but I don't see All-Star numbers out of Hedo at this point (which 20-5-5 would be).

Bricklayer said:
20/5/5 at this point?

Well if he does, some of the best minds in the business are going to look pretty stupid. I once thought he had that sort of potential, but really, he's another guy with both a weak mind and who hasn't worked on his game. Gone backwards actually.

If Stevie and Cutino will actually pass him the ball (doubtful) I could see him getting up into the mid-teens somewhere, but I don't see All-Star numbers out of Hedo at this point (which 20-5-5 would be).
Considering that Orlando shares a division with Miami, Washington, Charlotte, and Atlanta (only one playoff team in that division), and that there really are not too many impressive OG's in the East, I think Hedo may turn a few heads. I completely agree with you about his mental and physical weakness, but it only takes a few good games at the start of a season to build confidence. If Hedo gets out to a quick start, he may threaten the 20-5-5 mark for the year.

20-5-5 for Hedo is a little too high -- even on a bad team.

Problem is with Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley aboard, he won't get enough possesions to get 20ppg 5apg, even if they DO pass him the ball quite often. Also Grant Hill will likely get a lot of the SF minutes if he actually can stay healthy for this season :):crosses fingers::).

After following Hedo for the past few seasons I have really been disappointed in his efforts and flame outs. He had the talent to be a 15-5-4 type of guy on a GOOD team. But mentally he has truly taken a step backward. He could have been a nice piece in San Antonio, seeing as they still could use a SF with offense (and defense). But he basically sealed his fate by shooting so poorly against LA.

In a way I feel bad for him, but maybe I had inflated expectations. He still has some hope to become a very good player, on a successful team -- but he really has to work on his game and his mental approach for that. Last season he was awful off the bench in the first half of the season, got some confidence as a starter, than LOST it in the playoffs anyway. IMO it wasn't really starting that made the difference, I think he just has confidence issues.

Hopefully Hedo can turn it around a bit. But I really wanted to see him succeed in SA and be apart of that core. He could have done some good things. But then again, I wonder if he even has THAT in him -- he onced seemed like a FEARLESS rookie in the 2001 playoffs. Now it seems that fearless and Hedo don't really belong in the same sentenceat all .

Last edited:
I think that Hedo is underestimated and yeah definitely low on confidence. Maybe this year with Orlando will help him a lot. With the weaker division and the weaker conference he should really good numbers.

From AP: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-alexander&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kings sign Courtney Alexander

October 1, 2004

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Guard Courtney Alexander signed a one-year contract with the Sacramento Kings on Friday, shortly before the start of training camp.

Alexander scored 7.9 points per game as a reserve with the New Orleans Hornets last season.

Alexander was drafted 13th overall in the 2000 draft by the Dallas Mavericks. After a trade to Washington midway through his rookie season, he averaged 17.0 points over the last 27 games.

Updated on Friday, Oct 1, 2004 7:19 pm EDT

Hedo will never come anywhere close to averaging 20ppg playing with Francis and Mobley. The shots just won't be there. 13 or 14ppg sounds about right and that's how it should be. He's skilled and big, but lacks aggression and a go-to type move. Guys like that usually max out at about 17ppg.

If YAO MING couldn't average 20-5-5 with The Gruesome Twosome, what makes you think Hedo would be able to? Francis and Mobley are pompous schoolkids who are engulfed in some belief that they're playing some 2 vs. 5 pick-up game. And the fact is that Orlando was foolish for believing that anyone, especially projects like Hedo and Dwight Howard, could develop under such a huge umbrella of close-mindedness is beyond logic. I wish Hedo luck, because I also held high hopes for him, but unless the management in Orlando can separate Mobley and Francis, his potential, and that of Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson (who I like a lot) will be wasted.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Good signing. Court is very likely to see a one year with Sac as an opertunity to showcase his wares, and a nice post season will set him up for a bigger role with a bigger pay check next season. Court averages 9 points, 2 rebounds and one assist a game on 20 min, but is capible of better. I watched a lot of his games at Fresno State and he has tallent passing and sweet cuts to the hoop. From what I have seen of his procareer these elements have gotten better. Now if he can develop some defense he could be a whole package. As is he will make for nice instant offense off the bench. So this give us a second srting of Bobby, Court, Darius, and Tag with one of the rooks whorisesto the top...not bad, not frighting, but not bad, and definantly a group that can put up points.

Who thinks Minard is now expendable now that they inked Alexander?

Maybe they should cut Minard or stash him on IR and sign a 4/5 type player as the 12th man. I wish Jabari would have stuck with the Kings for that very purpose.

Everyone and anyone without a guarunteed deal is 'expendible' Bluthenthal, Minard, all the FA's in camp, it's a dog fight to make yourself enough of a valued commodity to make it to December (where, in some cases (Blu, Minard, you can get guarunteed money) I like this, the really competitive aspect to this years camp. Pressures on, boys, who can, and will step up?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ok sure it is a BIG if. As an absloute homer I freely admit to zero objectivity about Court, but don't be supprised if Court has the best seasn of his career this year in Sac. Perhaps he will not average the 17 points a game he got as a starter n Wasington, but his effency rating will be dam good.

Ryle said:
This isnt the same situation as Gerald. These guys are light years ahead of where Gerald was. Gerald was so green behind the ears...total project...the M & M boys are quite a bit more mature Gerald was...and it sounds like they are quick learners, too. They should be decent contributers to our bench, a bench that is so much better than the one we put on the floor last year. Alot more energy and potency, which we lacked once Bobby got hurt...Songaila was ok, but not a big part. This year with a more mature Darius, healthy Bobby, established big man in Ostertag and more offensive energy in M & M with Alexander now...this is a decent bench. WAY better than last years, i.m.o.

I watched Alexander a bunch of times while he played for Washington.
I always liked the way he played and I always had a feeling he could do a lot better and become a star in the league. Then, he got injured and missed most of the season. Diagnosis: Tim Thomas syndrome.