Former King’s beat writer Marty McNeal has passed away

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very sorry to hear of his passing. I've wondered from time to time what had happened to him. He sort of just fell off the earth, and now I understand. I've had a few conversations with Marty in the past, not always agreeable one's, but he was a great guy. I love his east coast attitude. He always spoke his mind and he wouldn't say anything behind your back that he wouldn't say to your face. May he rest in peace.

N

NBA.com

Today, Sacramento Kings General Manager Vlade Divac issued the following statement on the passing of Martin McNeal, the team’s beat writer for The Sacramento Bee from 1992 to 2005: “I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing of my friend Marty Mac. I’ll never forget his incredible sense of humor and he will be forever remembered as a truly iconic figure in both the Sacramento and national media landscape.

Continue reading...

Very sad to hear. Like Doug Christie said, he was one of the realest. In a golden era for media blowhards like Lupica, Marty Mac kept it real. We have been blessed to have some great, great reporters at the Bee and Marty Mac was at the top of the list. He was ahead of his time, and a true great. I think it’s really telling how so many young reporters considered him a mentor. He’ll be greatly missed.

I always enjoyed him and his work. My condolences to his family and those who knew him well.
The last time I saw or heard him, he got mad at Grant during a radio interview and hung up on him (if I’m not mistaken). I don’t remember what it was about. Maybe arguing about C-Webb? Well, it really doesn’t matter anymore. In the big picture it ain’t nuthin.

I always enjoyed him and his work. My condolences to his family and those who knew him well.
The last time I saw or heard him, he got mad at Grant during a radio interview and hung up on him (if I’m not mistaken). I don’t remember what it was about. Maybe arguing about C-Webb? Well, it really doesn’t matter anymore. In the big picture it ain’t nuthin.
I think it was Webber that hung up on Grant after they got into it about Webber’s comments on tnt about the kings leaving. Marty and Grant were always friends from what I recall

I think it was Webber that hung up on Grant after they got into it about Webber’s comments on tnt about the kings leaving. Marty and Grant were always friends from what I recall
No, I’m not confusing those two hang-ups. I remember Grant’s last interview w C-Webb. I also remember Marty hanging up on Grant, which was unexpected. But like I said before, it’s nothin in the big picture of life and death. And while I’m not a Grant fan, I hope he was on good terms with Marty when he passed.