Following Potential *2024* Draftees

it is when you can score in other ways and play Herb jones level defense.
sure if you have a center like New Orleans that shoots well from 3. And btw C&S 3’s generally have a higher percent than 3 point percentage overall. 30% on C&S 3’s is a pretty terrible percentage.

of 233 players in the NBA who average 2.0+ C&S 3 attempts only 12 non-centers shoot worse the 31.0%. If I increase it to 3.0+ attempts the number falls to zero non-centers with a percentage worse than 31%.

if Dunn can’t hit more than 33% playing next to Sabonis he is completely unplayable.

Last edited:
If he decides to muscle up 5-10 pounds you might be talking Lu Dort territory. He just shut down one of the longest wings in the league and Carter has a 1/2 inch of wingspan on him.
And even if the weight isn't there, the physicality is. That's really what the Kings struggled with the most, not length on defense unless it was certain matchups. The Kings struggled with length offensively far more than on defense. That length shut down the DHO. Once Davion and Keon jumped up into the rotation more, the defense hit that best in the league area. There's no disputing that. Fox, Monk, and Keon all have pretty great length for their height but only Fox can truly handle guys way up but you don't want him to, he's to important offensively for that energy to be used like that too often. Keegan has the standing reach of some centers I'd bet. There's a highlight of Carter on his way to the rim basically knocking his own center practically into the stands. The Kings could use that type of physcality without question.

On the other hand if the Kings don't get the job done running it back again, Carter might be the best option to have on the back burner as a piece to help restock around Fox/Domas or even for a rebuild. The Kings have roughly 2 years to get this done probably and after that it's retool time/reset time since Fox is off the books and even with him back they could maybe have some flexibility to work with if they time their re-signings right and don't kiss that bye bye on a long term re-signing of Monk. The fact is, anyone drafted at 13 probably isn't getting major minutes in Browns rotation next season unless they force it with their play or injuries happen. I mean, Ellis is a prime example, he got spotty backup PG minutes when he did play and once injuries and play made it the way to go Brown went with it.
The best talent always finds a way to rise to the top. Hali forced himself into a starters role basically from day 1. Davion... didn't.

if we had a bunch of forwards maybe. But given small for big trades are very hard to execute and people can get very good smaller guards later in the draft….

stocking up on 6’ 3” guards should be a fireable offense.
Yeah dudes like Hali, Maxey, Brunson, Bane that were all underdrafted. Sure would hate to have them on my team.

Imagine if Monte drafted for need and passed on Hali what position this franchise would be in.

Again, I have no clue (yet) what bpa looks like around our pick. But drafting for need is a losers mentality and how you stay stuck in the middle because you never swing properly for home run talent

I’m still thinking we should do a trade like…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

for

Jerami Grant

…since there’s nobody I’m in love with and that gives us 3 2nd round draft picks (#34, #40, & #45) to take some swings while at the same time upgrading our starting lineup (Grant) and strengthening our bench (moving Barnes to the bench) assuming we can retain Monk.

But if we do keep #13, we shouldn’t really view the pick as someone we’re going to keep or someone we need to draft that will fit in perfectly with our core. We need to view it as an asset that could be used in a trade a year from now, 2 years from now, etc. for a bigger fish.

I wouldn’t be opposed to taking some like Devin Carter considering I think his game will translate very well to the NBA and that it’ll translate sooner rather than later given his current skillset and his strength.

Let’s say the pick conveys to ATL in 2025. That means in the 2025 off-season, we would have the following assets to offer up in a trade:

Keegan Murray
Keon Ellis
Colby Jones
#13 (whoever we draft)
2025 POR 2nd
2026 SAC 1st
2027 SAC Pick Swap
2028 SAC 1st
2029 SAC Pick Swap
2030 SAC 1st
2031 SAC Pick Swap
2032 SAC 1st

Obviously guys like Murray, Ellis, etc. I’d like to keep but they could be assets depending on which player we’re targeting in a trade. But again, my point is to view #13 more as an asset vs. trying to find that perfect fit at PF with the pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
ok, so I watched zero college ball and have no clue about any of these guys. Just looking at mock drafts at wings what is the opinions on these guys?

Tidjane Salaun SF FRANCE • 6'9" / 212 LBS

Jaylon Tyson SF CALIFORNIA • JR • 6'7" / 215 LBS

Ryan Dunn SF VIRGINIA • SOPH • 6'8" / 216 LBS

Tristan da Silva PF COLORADO • SR • 6'9" / 220 LBS
I think Salaun has a chance to be a very good player in the NBA. However, he's about three years away from being a solid rotational player. He's extremely raw, especially on defense. I'll be honest, I don't think he has a clue how to play defense, either on or off the ball. I couldn't make up my mind which is worse. His shot needs some rebuilding as well. You would be drafting a very athletic player who certainly plays with effort who has a lot of upside, but he's a project.

Ryan Dunn is one of the best defenders in college basketball. But he can't shoot a lick, and it scares me. He's not a good freethrow shooter either, which I don't put as much emphasis on as some do, but it would be encouraging if he shot in the 80 percental. I stopped gambling on players like Dunn becoming respectable shooters in time. Too often their out of the NBA, or the 13th man on the bench.

Jaylon Tyson I love, and I wouldn't be upset if the Kings took him at 13. He's a three level scorer who has the potential to be a very good defender. One thing to look for in a player, one of my indicators, is how a player rebounds. When you see a 6'7" or below player pulling down 6 to 7 boards a game, that usually translates to the rest of his game. Rebounding is effort, focus, and determination. That tells you a lot about a player. Tyson averaged around 7 rebounds a game this season. He can get to the basket whenever he wants and is a good finisher. I don't think he'll ever be an all star, but it wouldn't shock me if he was.

Da Silva is just a real good basketball player. I doubt he'll ever be a star, but I think he can be a difference maker on a team. He can shoot, he can dribble, he can pass, rebound and is a very good defender. He's not a prolific shotblocker, but he does block shots as a help defender. I like him a lot and he's certainly a very safe pick that can probably step in and contribute much sooner than some that will be taken before him. He's another player I would be happy with at 13.

This is a very tough draft to evaluate. Predicting who will go where is a true crap shoot. I've been watching ton's of film and as a result I'm moving some players up, and some down, and then changing my mind. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I was impressed with some of the film I saw of Buzelis, which to some extent condridicted some of what I saw in the games I saw him play, and then I saw a game, which had to be an all star game of some sort where he was going up against Risacher. It wasn't that Buzelis was terrible, it was that Risacher was much better. One could say that he dominated. Thus, my evaluation changed a bit.

I don't put too much emphasis on one game. A player could have a headache or he had a fight with his girlfriend. Who knows, but Risacher was more impressive in that game, and it did affect my opinion. At least a tiny bit.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
IMO Holland should be a top 5 pick in this draft just based on his athletic tools, defensive versatility and ability in transition. If his shot comes around (and based on mechanics I have more faith in his shot long term, than say Matas Buzelis') then he can be a heck of a player. He'd be a steal if he fell to the Kings.

I'm lower on Salaun than most. He's just so, SO raw, on both ends of the court. I think he'll really struggle in the GLeague, that's how far off he seems to me.

Yves Missi should be a Clint Capela type player. But how high do you draft that archetype in today's NBA?

I really like Da Silva as a 3 & D forward. I think the team would need to move on from Barnes for there to be PT for him as he's pretty strictly a PF based on his size and decent, but not great footspeed and athletic tools. I woudln't hate him at 13 but it's a bit high IMO.

I'm not a Klintman fan. I wasn't last draft cycle and he hasn't done anything this year to change my mind.

Chomche has some real appeal, but he's not going to help any NBA team next season. That's a swing on future upside. And a lot (including whether he even stays in the draft) will be determined by how he looks in the pre-draft process.
I agree with you on Holland. He's going to be a player, and I think the mechanic's of his shot are fine. He just needs to get the reps and it will come around. I doubt he'll slide to us, but if he does, you have to take him. I also agree on Missi. Solid rim protector and rebounder, but no game away from the basket offensively. Don't think he took a three point shot all year. Has upside though.

I love Da Silva and he's a very safe pick. If you haven't watched Jaylon Tyson play, I suggest you take a peak. The more film I watch the more impressed I'am. His measurements are going to be important. If he's 6'7" and has a big wingspan, he's going to rise up the boards. I think it's very possible that Chomche moves up as well after some workouts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The best talent always finds a way to rise to the top. Hali forced himself into a starters role basically from day 1. Davion... didn't.

Yeah dudes like Hali, Maxey, Brunson, Bane that were all underdrafted. Sure would hate to have them on my team.

Imagine if Monte drafted for need and passed on Hali what position this franchise would be in.

Again, I have no clue (yet) what bpa looks like around our pick. But drafting for need is a losers mentality and how you stay stuck in the middle because you never swing properly for home run talent
As I've said to someone else, I'm amused by the best player available idea. Who decides who that is? It's subjective!!! My opinion is likely to be different than yours, or some other persons. So who is right? I think I'am, but I'm sure you think you are. I think you get my point. I decide in my mind who the best player available is by watching more basketball games than a sane person should watch, and even after that, I'm still not sure. There are so many variables that can go into that decision.

I thought that Haliburton was the best player in that draft. I knew that Bane could shoot the hell out of the ball, but wasn't sure about his defense. Maxey I just apply the Kentucky magic to and expect him to be very good along with the other thousand guards from Kentucky that are playing, and many of which are starring in the NBA.

Personally, I think fit is just as important as BPA. Yeah, I know, just draft the best player available and figure it out later. Is there a later for the Kings right now? No!!!!!!! They need to add players that compliment what they already have. And that means said player has to fit what the team is doing. I think Monte knows that and that's why he tends to draft players that already have experience and know how to play. You're not going to strike gold every time, but more often than not, you're not going to take a step backwards.

If you can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and know how to play, I'll draft you, or someone just like you that fits better.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you haven't watched Jaylon Tyson play, I suggest you take a peak. The more film I watch the more impressed I'am. His measurements are going to be important. If he's 6'7" and has a big wingspan, he's going to rise up the boards. I think it's very possible that Chomche moves up as well after some workouts.
I'm a Cal grad so (maybe unfortunately) I watch a lot of Bears basketball. The thing that impresses me about Tyson is that he played very different roles at Texas Tech and Cal (I don't really count his 8 games at Texas) and thrived in each. For Texas Tech he was really just a catch and shoot player, where he's been asked to do a lot for Cal, maybe too much honestly. But I think it shows that he'll carve out a role in the NBA. I think it's crazy that some mocks have him in the second round. I think he'll wind up in the mid-first and maybe the end of the lottery.

I agree with you on Holland. He's going to be a player, and I think the mechanic's of his shot are fine. He just needs to get the reps and it will come around. I doubt he'll slide to us, but if he does, you have to take him. I also agree on Missi. Solid rim protector and rebounder, but no game away from the basket offensively. Don't think he took a three point shot all year. Has upside though.

I love Da Silva and he's a very safe pick. If you haven't watched Jaylon Tyson play, I suggest you take a peak. The more film I watch the more impressed I'am. His measurements are going to be important. If he's 6'7" and has a big wingspan, he's going to rise up the boards. I think it's very possible that Chomche moves up as well after some workouts.
I agree on Holland. If he falls to 13 you take him. He seems like a really good fit alongside Keegan. Doubt he is there, but if he is it seems like a no-brainer.

Da Silva continues to be the guy I would target at 13 who is likely to be available. He seems like the most win-now prospect, and could step in and make an immediate impact, similar to the role Jaime Jaquez Jr carved out. Da Silva is a very good shooter and has a real knack as a playmaker and passer. He is someone who can provide secondary playmaking and also really cut you up as a facilitator if you play zone. Seems like a smart cutter, spacer, and offensive player who would play well off of Domas.

Also a very willing and capable defender. I don't think he is going to be a lockdown guy, but I think he could profile as an above average defender in the league. Smart, good instincts, and good enough ability one on one to not be a weak link. Probably a better team defender than individual defender, but I think would be at least an average defender with a ceiling for more. Maybe like a Trey Lyles level defender.

Weaknesses seem to be vertical athleticism and rebounding. Probably not a dunker or rim protector, so he isn't a perfect fit next to Domas. I am guessing people will also down vote his value because he is 23. But no one is going to be a perfect prospect at #13 in a down draft, and I think he can at least profile as a rotation player on a good team. I really see him profiling as a higher ceiling Trey Lyles, but with more offensive skills and really strong BBIQ.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I agree on Holland. If he falls to 13 you take him. He seems like a really good fit alongside Keegan. Doubt he is there, but if he is it seems like a no-brainer.
Yeah, I don't see Holland slipping. Right now my thinking is that there are 10 guys who can't possibly slip to #13. In no particular order, it's the three true internationals (Risacher, Sarr, Topic), two G-Leaguers (Holland, Buzelis), two Kentuckys (Sheppard, Dillingham), two UConns (Castle, Clingan), and Cody Williams. It would be tough for me to pass on any of these guys at #13 regardless of fit, but again, I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Da Silva continues to be the guy I would target at 13 who is likely to be available. He seems like the most win-now prospect, and could step in and make an immediate impact, similar to the role Jaime Jaquez Jr carved out.
I like Da Silva a decent amount, and I totally see the Jaquez comparisons in overall skill set - but I don't quite see the fire that Jaquez has. Jaquez leaves it all out on the court every time he plays, I don't see Da Silva (or most guys, to be honest) doing that. Which is why I would have seen Jaquez as a steal last year at 20, but I'm a bit cool on Da Silva at 13 despite skill sets being similar and this being likely a weaker draft. Da Silva is not the worst thing that could happen but he's probably not BPA at 13. Trading down to the mid-20s and getting some sort of asset in the deal and then nabbing Da Silva down lower I would be a lot happier about.

How do people feel about Tyler Smith from the Ignite? Seems big, long, athletic, fluid. Has a nice looking shot. Would play the four?

I haven't watched a full game - but are there reasons he would be a good or bad pick?

Yeah, I don't see Holland slipping. Right now my thinking is that there are 10 guys who can't possibly slip to #13. In no particular order, it's the three true internationals (Risacher, Sarr, Topic), two G-Leaguers (Holland, Buzelis), two Kentuckys (Sheppard, Dillingham), two UConns (Castle, Clingan), and Cody Williams. It would be tough for me to pass on any of these guys at #13 regardless of fit, but again, I don't think that's going to be an issue.

I like Da Silva a decent amount, and I totally see the Jaquez comparisons in overall skill set - but I don't quite see the fire that Jaquez has. Jaquez leaves it all out on the court every time he plays, I don't see Da Silva (or most guys, to be honest) doing that. Which is why I would have seen Jaquez as a steal last year at 20, but I'm a bit cool on Da Silva at 13 despite skill sets being similar and this being likely a weaker draft. Da Silva is not the worst thing that could happen but he's probably not BPA at 13. Trading down to the mid-20s and getting some sort of asset in the deal and then nabbing Da Silva down lower I would be a lot happier about.
I’ve cooled a bit on TDS as well with the main reason being he doesn’t offer a different style, mind set or skill we don’t already have among our role players. That’s why DC (motor/mentality)and Tyson (skill set) are currently my top two realistic candidates. D Holmes would probably make that list too but he supposedly has bulked up to 240 so he is less positionally flexible than he might have been at 215 or so.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could see Cody Williams slipping. I think part of his current projection is biased by his brother's trajectory vs his actual production/potential. That said, I don't think Cody Williams is a great fit for the Kings.

Risacher is understandably falling on a lot of mocks. It speaks to how weak this draft is that for a time he was considered a #1 pick option. But some team will grab him in the top 10. My issue with him is that if his shot isn't falling, he doesn't contribute anything else on offense. He shows some promising flashes on defense, but he's a ways off on that end of the floor.

Basically, if his ultimate ceiling is MPJ (who isn't an all-star and is very reliant on Jokic and Murray creating looks for him) how valuable is he as a prospect if he say, becomes 70% of the player Porter is? That's a useful player (and potentially a decent fit with the Kings) but I don't think he's ever a difference maker.

Da Silva continues to be the guy I would target at 13 who is likely to be available. He seems like the most win-now prospect, and could step in and make an immediate impact, similar to the role Jaime Jaquez Jr carved out. Da Silva is a very good shooter and has a real knack as a playmaker and passer. He is someone who can provide secondary playmaking and also really cut you up as a facilitator if you play zone. Seems like a smart cutter, spacer, and offensive player who would play well off of Domas.

Also a very willing and capable defender. I don't think he is going to be a lockdown guy, but I think he could profile as an above average defender in the league. Smart, good instincts, and good enough ability one on one to not be a weak link. Probably a better team defender than individual defender, but I think would be at least an average defender with a ceiling for more. Maybe like a Trey Lyles level defender.

Weaknesses seem to be vertical athleticism and rebounding. Probably not a dunker or rim protector, so he isn't a perfect fit next to Domas. I am guessing people will also down vote his value because he is 23. But no one is going to be a perfect prospect at #13 in a down draft, and I think he can at least profile as a rotation player on a good team. I really see him profiling as a higher ceiling Trey Lyles, but with more offensive skills and really strong BBIQ.
I think you can trade down and get Da Silva. My dream draft is trade down, get two picks and take Chomche and Da Silva

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I could see Cody Williams slipping. I think part of his current projection is biased by his brother's trajectory vs his actual production/potential. That said, I don't think Cody Williams is a great fit for the Kings.
Why don't you think Cody is a good fit for the Kings? He has a prototype "big wing" body. I'll wait for the combine measurements, but the eye test says he may be taller than his listed 6'8" with a plus wingspan. He's wonderfully athletic, smooth on the court, and he plays hardnosed defense. And he shot really well this year (.414 from three), although on low attempts (partially due to an early injury keeping him off court). He seems to me to be a perfect kid to groom for our 3 spot (with Keegan moving to be a modern 4). I'd be over the moon to get a guy with that potential.

Why don't you think Cody is a good fit for the Kings? He has a prototype "big wing" body. I'll wait for the combine measurements, but the eye test says he may be taller than his listed 6'8" with a plus wingspan. He's wonderfully athletic, smooth on the court, and he plays hardnosed defense. And he shot really well this year (.414 from three), although on low attempts (partially due to an early injury keeping him off court). He seems to me to be a perfect kid to groom for our 3 spot (with Keegan moving to be a modern 4). I'd be over the moon to get a guy with that potential.
not to mention he probably knows everyone of his brothers moves and the west is going to run through OKC soon.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think Williams will measure out well in terms of height and wingspan. For the latter I think his brother's big plus wingspan is a good indicator for Cody.

I like him as a prospect in a lot of ways, but he's never shot well from outside at any level previously and it's a small sample size this season. Not just due to the injury - he's just not looking to let it fly from distance often, which would absolutely have to change if he were to be in the Kings starting lineup. I guess for me the issue is that he's at his best on the ball as he has a nice handle for a wing/forward and does a good job of playmaking and attacking the rim off the bounce. I don't see him getting a lot of opportunities to do that with the way the Kings are currently constructed unless he's part of the second unit.

But more than anything, so much of his game is still theoretical and I think you have to really project him out a few years with things breaking right to see him as a high level NBA player.

But yeah, I'd absolutely take him if he fell to the Kings and you let Mike Brown figure out how to use and develop him.

That said, depending on who is on the board (and if the Raptors keep their pick) two GMs that I could see really liking him are Masai Ujiri and Danny Ainge. He has the measurables that Ujiri tends to favor and Ainge has shown that he'll gamble on potential and a guy without a bankable NBA skill high in the draft in Jaylen Brown.

Last edited:
I also think Williams will measure out well in terms of height and wingspan. For the latter I think his brother's big plus wingspan is a good indicator for Cody.

I like him as a prospect in a lot of ways, but he's never shot well from outside at any level previously and it's a small sample size this season. Not just due to the injury - he's just not looking to let it fly from distance often, which would absolutely have to change if he were to be in the Kings starting lineup. I guess for me the issue is that he's at his best on the ball as he has a nice handle for a wing/forward and does a good job of playmaking and attacking the rim off the bounce. I don't see him getting a lot of opportunities to do that with the way the Kings are currently constructed unless he's part of the second unit.

But more than anything, so much of his game is still theoretical and I think you have to really project him out a few years with things breaking right to see him as a high level NBA player.

But yeah, I'd absolutely take him if he fell to the Kings and you let Mike Brown figure out how to use and develop him.

That said, depending on who is on the board (and if the Raptors keep their pick) two GMs that I could see really liking him are Masai Ujiri and Danny Ainge. He has the measurables that Ujiri tends to favor and Ainge has shown that he'll gamble on potential and a guy without a bankable NBA skill high in the draft in Jaylen Brown.
Ainge is going to pick whomever he feels has the most upside. He believes role players can be found in free agency and lottery picks need to be a big swing. How that might change in this draft is hard to say but Danny will absolute risk it for the biscuit in the lottery.

not sure the Pels have room for 2 picks. At 13 they could well get the center they crave.

I would absolutely make this trade.
The Pelicans can choose which Lakers pick they want between 2024 and 2025 drafts. It's probable they prefer to wait until next season when Lakers maybe can be a lottery team in a supposed better draft.

I would trade our #13 for the Knicks two first round picks if they include Hartenstein via sign & trade.

- SAC:

Hartenstein 17M/3 years
#24 and #25

- NY:

Huerter or Barnes

Last edited:
With the league having more success with size and skill over super smallball I think Filipowski is looking a lot better as a target. The more I watch, the more I see Brad Miller. Filipowski and Domas can share minutes and hold down C.

With the league having more success with size and skill over super smallball I think Filipowski is looking a lot better as a target. The more I watch, the more I see Brad Miller. Filipowski and Domas can share minutes and hold down C.
There is some interesting stuff there. Haven’t really looked much into him aside from a few highlights. How do you think he will best utilize that size? Can he be successful in ways that frank wasn’t?

There is some interesting stuff there. Haven’t really looked much into him aside from a few highlights. How do you think he will best utilize that size? Can he be successful in ways that frank wasn’t?
I think he's just a bit more athletic with better lateral mobility than Frank. Also his natural scoring instincts are more pronounced. Brad survived playing next to bigs for a good chunk of his career and the league is starting to trend up again in size so I think Filipowski could be OK next to Domas. Both would be decently mobile and for sure skilled. In looking at more video of Filipowski, then Brad, then back again I see Brad, not so much Frank the Tank. They're all kind of in the same mold but Brad and Filipowski have that coordination and mobility in common.