Follow Kings players in FIBA World Cup games

I honestly can't wrap my head around even having a discussion about who will contribute more to winning this coming season between Bjelica and Bagley. Really? Beli is 31 years old, is half the athlete that Bagley is. He has one thing he does well, shoot three's. I lost count last season of how many times I yelled at Beli to shoot the dam ball as he passed up open three's to drive into traffic. So much for BBIQ!
This was actually the thing that always puzzled me. When Bjelica's man jumps past him to prevent a three and Bjelica is now driving to the basket, the Kings have a numerical advantage. There is a rotation from the inside defender toward driving Bjelica and usually a rotation to cover the man he left. However, the Kings mostly stood where they were and were not giving a good passer like Bjelica an option to pass! So he would run into a wall. If you look at the Serbian national team when a play like this is unfolding, there is almost always a (right!) cutter at that point. The only player I saw doing this was Giles later in the season on several occasions taking advantage and cutting to the basket making himself available. He was usually awarded with a bucket.

Last edited:
I'd have to think that Serbia vs Spain ought to be one juicy ball game, too bad they play them all so early.
The reason is that FIBA fixed groups, so China can advance as far as possible. However, they did not count on Poland playing so well. Serbia was in half with China, as the worst of the two best teams in the tournament. Because of that Serbia is in the quarter of the draw without China and with teams that were perceived to be better than ones in China's quarter.

The biggest surprise of the tournament is not Poland but the Czech Republic. Too bad they just lost Shilb, who was Zazaed by a dirty Brazilian player. Referees, of course, did not consider it un-sportsman foul.

Last edited:
This one hurts. Though road ahead. Both transportation vise and basketball vise.
It shouldn't hurt because I believe both Spain and Serbia will beat whichever team comes from the other group. I'm sure Serbia will play much better against Argentina. Especially Jokic. For me they are still the favorites.

Being a Turkish I'm disappointed of the tournament so far but they lost when they gave all their energy against USA despite the fact that whatever the result they had to win their next game against the Czechs. That was not clever of them.

It shouldn't hurt because I believe both Spain and Serbia will beat whichever team comes from the other group. I'm sure Serbia will play much better against Argentina. Especially Jokic. For me they are still the favorites.

Being a Turkish I'm disappointed of the tournament so far but they lost when they gave all their energy against USA despite the fact that whatever the result they had to win their next game against the Czechs. That was not clever of them.
I would not underestimate Czechs, they played well and defeated Brazil easily. Too bad one of their best players got injured.

Poland would have been easier I think although they are playing suprisingly well.

And he is not a starter because???
In Euro competitions, you don't always start the best players. The problem is that the coach plays Jokic at PF, and they do not play Jokic-ball enough. A jump ball was called and referees did not even review the play, Jokic was grabbed by Gasol. Anyway, Jokic overreacted, it is time for him to learn and stop acting like a prima donna.

And he is not a starter because???
The whole “starter concept” doesn’t really resonate with European basketball. Here, it matters how many minutes you’re playing and are you on the court when the game is on the line. You could be a starter and play 4 mins per game - it’s not an advantage or a sign of quality.

Serbia has Jokic, Boban, Bjelica, Milutinov (San Antonio pick) and Raduljica (ex Milwaukee/Minnesota) at 4 and 5. Can’t start them all.

The whole “starter concept” doesn’t really resonate with European basketball. Here, it matters how many minutes you’re playing and are you on the court when the game is on the line. You could be a starter and play 4 mins per game - it’s not an advantage or a sign of quality.

Serbia has Jokic, Boban, Bjelica, Milutinov (San Antonio pick) and Raduljica (ex Milwaukee/Minnesota) at 4 and 5. Can’t start them all.
The starter at 4 was Bircevic, the worst player on the Serbia roster. He played only 4 minutes or so, hit one 3, was lost on defense and all of Spain's points came after his mistakes.

In Euro competitions, you don't always start the best players. The problem is that the coach plays Jokic at PF, and they do not play Jokic-ball enough. A jump ball was called and referees did not even review the play, Jokic was grabbed by Gasol. Anyway, Jokic overreacted, it is time for him to learn and stop acting like a prima donna.
Hmm... lots of comments about the physicality of the games. Curious if the NBA players from other countries stop playing due to risk of injury from the physicality

Hmm... lots of comments about the physicality of the games. Curious if the NBA players from other countries stop playing due to risk of injury from the physicality
You may be right. All the best European referees are recruited by ULEB, so Fiba referees are the best of the rest, not really good, and it is obvious in WC games. :(

Saw the score and play by play end of game. Wondered why Jokic out for last stretch when team was down. Bogi and Nemanja both healthy? Saw Bogi missed some 3 pointers at the end. Were those catch and shoot or shooting off the dribble?

Saw the score and play by play end of game. Wondered why Jokic out for last stretch when team was down. Bogi and Nemanja both healthy? Saw Bogi missed some 3 pointers at the end. Were those catch and shoot or shooting off the dribble?
those were desparation off the dribble tripple teamed as the game was already over. and he hit some of them before. no one else was doing anything so he needed to put those shots up. you should reallynot count the last two...

those were desparation off the dribble tripple teamed as the game was already over. and he hit some of them before. no one else was doing anything so he needed to put those shots up. you should reallynot count the last two...
Fair enough.... in looking at team highlights it looked like Argentina got a lot of assisted baskets. Did not see Jokic at the high post directing traffic much.

Fair enough.... in looking at team highlights it looked like Argentina got a lot of assisted baskets. Did not see Jokic at the high post directing traffic much.
I am curious to see what @rosa u podne , @Peja and others think, but to me the tournament faliure came down to these things:

1) Lack of playmaking. we did bring a lot of PGs, but none of them with the vision and creativity of Teodosic. once the games became physical with in your face defending we struggled to create. add to that the reluctance to use Jokic as the fulcrum of the offense and we were "easily" defended by the more aggresive coheseve teams such as Spain and Argentina.

2) undefined pecking order and roles. too many different lineups. i think part of why we looked out of sorts when pressure is applied is the fact that there was no opportunity to form synergies amongst units cause we were making all kinds of substitutions and starting lineups

3) lack of shooting. or at least confidence in the shot. last two games only Bogdanovic was consistwntlt making 3s and he had to fight hard to get those 3s

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
very disappointing outing for the Serbs, they were dominant early because the lack of competition and then everything started coming to the light as they progressed in the tournament. Goes to show you that just because you have a whole bunch of NBA players on your roster doesn't necessarily mean all that will come together as a cohesive unit.

I am curious to see what @rosa u podne , @Peja and others think, but to me the tournament faliure came down to these things:

1) Lack of playmaking. we did bring a lot of PGs, but none of them with the vision and creativity of Teodosic. once the games became physical with in your face defending we struggled to create. add to that the reluctance to use Jokic as the fulcrum of the offense and we were "easily" defended by the more aggresive coheseve teams such as Spain and Argentina.

2) undefined pecking order and roles. too many different lineups. i think part of why we looked out of sorts when pressure is applied is the fact that there was no opportunity to form synergies amongst units cause we were making all kinds of substitutions and starting lineups

3) lack of shooting. or at least confidence in the shot. last two games only Bogdanovic was consistwntlt making 3s and he had to fight hard to get those 3s
Surprised they didn’t use Jokic in the high post. Know someone who has played for Serbian and American coaches and he says Serbian coaches are the best in the world for development but are average tactically. Wonder if this data point aligns with that opinion.

2) undefined pecking order and roles. too many different lineups. i think part of why we out of sorts when pressure is applied is the fact that there was no opportunity to form synergies amongst units cause we were making all kinds of substitutions and starting lineups

1) Unbalance roster. Instead of our best SF (Kalicnic) and combo guard (Nedovic) with perfect skills to play off Jokic, the coach decided to bring two slow-footed 5s in addition to the best NBA center and one of the best Euroleague center (Milutinov).
2) Playing Jokic at 4.
3) Not playing our best defensive center (Milutinov).
4) Coach incompetence.

Against Spain and Argentina, the opponent went to run after inserting Marjanovic in a lineup. I listened to Djordjevic during timeouts. While the team was unable to make any stops, Djordjevic (the coach) spent the time to draw one single action they will play next. As far as I can remember, the action was never played because Argentina's defense made it impossible. Not a word about defense. The last timeout, he ordered to give ball to Bjelica, who was expected to create 1 on 1.

I am so frustrated, even this team could do much better with a better coach.

Edited: I agree with your point 2, that was a huge factor.

Last edited: