Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have lost to OKC by double digits - easy.
OKC blew countless layups. They got to the rim for whenever they wanted for most of the game.

The only path I see for improvement is to keep losing.
Play Queta, King, Ramsey, etc. See what we have, so we can make some informed decisions, and move forward with a high draft pick.

Atlanta was playing pretty bad last year. A new coach really turned things around. Is there a good coach out there? I'm not expecting the same results as Atlanta, but after the pathetic excuse for a 'team' we currently have, it's time.

I don't know much if anything about Bobby Jackson as coach but what I seen at the Summer League, I am impressed with the entire team being energize and playing defense and basically a winning brand. I just don't like Walton casual style of coaching...he doesn't appear to be a discipline coach that held players accountable for missing their assignments. It's like "so what" if they made mistakes, let's move on and I have a problem with that. Buddy Hield got away with that through out his career with the Kings constantly missing assignment defensively. I also think Walton has a problem with recognizing talents or suppressing talents. I think Luis King should be giving a chance and so is Bagley. Big guys don't seem to thrive under his watch, you have Whiteside coming over here and does nothing and now in a rotation off the bench for the Jazz?, you have Giles never giving a proper chance. And the defensive brand of basketball that the Kings play which rely and praying on the team to have an off night for them to have a chance isn't likely lead to success especially if your offense isn't clicking. Their team defensive rotation and communication on pick n roll is probably the worst in the league.

Be careful what you wish for.

Walton definitely needs to move on at this stage but if we end up with another 02 legend in charge we may as well keep him.

How long until Webber is mentioned.

Btw Mike Bibby is a coach now.

Walton definitely needs to move on at this stage but if we end up with another 02 legend in charge we may as well keep him.

If any owner was gonna do that to appease a fan base, it would definitely be Vivek. He did it with vlade. No doubt in my mind he would do it again because to him, it makes sense.

If any owner was gonna do that to appease a fan base, it would definitely be Vivek. He did it with vlade. No doubt in my mind he would do it again because to him, it makes sense.
What? This is wrong. The fan base was not clamoring for Vlade to run the team. Vivek is an agent of chaos and he was wooed by Vlade whispering sweet Yugoslavian nothings in his year about the Kings heyday and his vision to return to that.

We should have lost to OKC by double digits - easy.
OKC blew countless layups. They got to the rim for whenever they wanted for most of the game.

The only path I see for improvement is to keep losing.
Play Queta, King, Ramsey, etc. See what we have, so we can make some informed decisions, and move forward with a high draft pick.

Atlanta was playing pretty bad last year. A new coach really turned things around. Is there a good coach out there? I'm not expecting the same results as Atlanta, but after the pathetic excuse for a 'team' we currently have, it's time.
Remember when few Kings fans seemed to like the idea of Nate McMillan? Now look at the job he did. We should have grabbed him when available

Both things can be true here but they absolutely need better coaching. Anyone paying attention can see our players (specifically Buddy, Fox and Holmes) are used incorrectly and that's pretty damn difficult to overcome. There are at least 10 points on both ends of the floor that could be in our favor if we'd simply had smarter coaching decisions being made and im not joking.
You're so right. I seen enough of Kings games to see some of the stupid things they did on the court to blew the lead or giving up lead.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't know that there's more to be said than what's been said, typically umpteen times, but: they could and should be way better than what we've seen this past week-plus. They could and should have been way better than the team that laid two 9-game-losing streak eggs last year. The head coach clearly bears some responsibility for that. He's had plenty of opportunity to prove himself worthy and failed.

Next!
Even as I watched the huge OKC lead whittle away Katie was saying stuff like "for sure if they score again here Luke will call a time out".

Never called a timeout.

I am sure Luke can coach a winning team because he did that. But he can't build a winning team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about replacing Luke with B-Jax or something is that B-Jax is a lotto ticket thanks to never having been a head coach in the league before.

When the Kings hired Luke, we all had a general idea how it would turn out from how outright awful his Lakers run ended (literally the only coach to succeed at getting Lebron to miss the playoffs).

Even with Alvin Gentry, we'd have a general feeling on the direction of the team (fast paced downhill team concept similar to old Phoenix D'Antoni structures) that could potentially help this team look better than it's looked thus far this season even if he is possibly the worst defensive coach in the history of the league (Luke may have taken this crown from him thanks to the Kings last season though).

It has almost gotten to the point that the general basketball internet sphere seems to have come the conclusion that the Kings would pretty much be better coached by anyone but Luke Walton.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You're so right. I seen enough of Kings games to see some of the stupid things they did on the court to blew the lead or giving up lead.
And the fact that it's the same dumb thing happening time-and-time again indicates that it is on the coaching. Even overcorrecting and losing in a new dumb way because you were hellbent on not losing like you did last time would have at least shown some awareness on the coaching staff's part. Instead the Kings have been losing the same exact ways in the last three years that Luke's been at the helm.

I'm sure Luke has some qualities beyond his surname but I don't have access to those. I only get to watch the games and check in on the win loss record. Am happy to join the chorus of those who want change.

Even as I watched the huge OKC lead whittle away Katie was saying stuff like "for sure if they score again here Luke will call a time out".

Never called a timeout.

I am sure Luke can coach a winning team because he did that. But he can't build a winning team.
Did anyone really think that the defending champion Warriors were going to fall apart, because Steve Kerr was sick? Whether it was Walton sitting in, or Mike Brown, that team was going to win.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well, in this case, the coach really isn’t very good. And I’ve trusted Monte’s eye for talent. I’ll trust his coaching hire when Walton gets dumped. If Monte does hire a good coach and we still lose then in quick order, I would say time to change the core but not until we actually have a capable coach in place.
you have to think that Monte has a future coach in mind when he makes his picks and I have seen good evaluation. Wonder if some of his second round picks will get more run with a Monte hire. Also wonder if there is anything salvageable with Bagley with a new coach.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Did anyone really think that the defending champion Warriors were going to fall apart, because Steve Kerr was sick? Whether it was Walton sitting in, or Mike Brown, that team was going to win.
No - but it was at least important that arguably Luke outcoached Kerr for his half of the season.

It really doesn't matter as this team doesn't really have the ability to play like the Warriors, not for lack of launching up 3 after 3 after 3. Ours just don't go in at the same clip most nights.

No - but it was at least important that arguably Luke outcoached Kerr for his half of the season.

It really doesn't matter as this team doesn't really have the ability to play like the Warriors, not for lack of launching up 3 after 3 after 3. Ours just don't go in at the same clip most nights.
How did Walton out coach Kerr? What did he do? He occupied a seat, while an all time great team went on a winning streak. They would have done the same thing with Mike Brown

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
How did Walton out coach Kerr? What did he do? He occupied a seat, while an all time great time went on a winning streak. They would have done the same thing with Mike Brown
He coached them to a better record. I don't see why acknowledging that he actually did a great job as interim in GS and that he has been an absolute failure here are at odds. He was able to apply the same type of veteran/winning/zen team principles that he learned with Phil and Lute and his dad that work with a team of pros but will never work with a team like the Kings.

He coached them to a better record. I don't see why acknowledging that he actually did a great job as interim in GS and that he has been an absolute failure here are at odds. He was able to apply the same type of veteran/winning/zen team principles that he learned with Phil and Lute and his dad that work with a team of pros but will never work with a team like the Kings.
Yeah, I just don't see it. That team, at that time, was in such a rhythm that it practically ran itself.

Would they have been better off with Walton long term, instead of Kerr?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah, I just don't see it. That team, at that time, was in such a rhythm that it practically ran itself.

Would they have been better off with Walton long term, instead of Kerr?
I don't buy the notion that teams coach themselves, mostly because there are minutes to distribute and egos to manage. Walton clearly was capable of doing that with the Warriors at a high level, which shouldn't come as a surprise because he was almost always playing on an elite team.

Long term, we'll have to see what Kerr's coaching life is like after Steph. I know some people who still insist the Warriors are Mark Jackson's doing.

Exactly what carmichael dave is talking about right now on his show.

How many times are you gonna blame the coach without finally looking in and saying its the core players?. This core has accomplished nothing. Time to blow up the core of barnes, buddy, bagley, and fox. Then bring in a qualified coach to start fresh with the new core. No more turning over players 6,7, and 8 and time to blow out 1,2, and 3.
Both could indeed be true but both of those things have been changed over the years, perhaps it's that the franchise has never fully committed to a direction? The fact is, Walton sucks, and there is conversation posted all over this board as to exactly what has happened in the games strategically and in terms of player misuse. Both could be at fault but one thing I challenge anyone to figure out, what holdover coach has stuck with a team to long term success when the GM that handpicked them was fired or ousted? Those who ignore history....

I mean, look if this team is allowing specific wins or losses to decide their fate they are doomed anyway. How pointless this all is. Lose to Detroit and there might not be a quick fix in the locker room anyway. Idiots. This organization is run by idiots. Too busy comparing their IQ scores to realize they lack common sense, lol.

Bobby has worked his way up through this organization. That is not at all unusual for an team to eventually give them a shot at the chair. Again, he would be a logical option that you could run with to see if this current roster can reassert itself and if not, his career arc is mostly that of a development coach so perfect in a rebuild scenario. We have already seen is work payoff in summer league.

How did Walton out coach Kerr? What did he do? He occupied a seat, while an all time great time went on a winning streak. They would have done the same thing with Mike Brown
One thing though. Walton seems to be a pretty good cheerleader. That system was already there so all he had to do was cheer on the team. The issue here and in LA is he all of sudden had to put in a system. What did he run to? A lot of what he knew from his playing career under Phil Jackson and Warriors ball. As a cheerleader for a contender I think he'd be pretty good. A team otherwise has to be built to suit his needs and yes, nothing about his career so far has indicated he remotely deserves that. The only thing of note in Waltons career post Dubs is that he got the LeBron stomp of approval. And right after the fact they got a ring.

you have to think that Monte has a future coach in mind when he makes his picks and I have seen good evaluation. Wonder if some of his second round picks will get more run with a Monte hire. Also wonder if there is anything salvageable with Bagley with a new coach.
He needs a new start somewhere else. It's in no ones interest to be rehashing the Bagley/Luka draft a year from now in Sacramento.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
One thing though. Walton seems to be a pretty good cheerleader. That system was already there so all he had to do was cheer on the team. The issue here and in LA is he all of sudden had to put in a system. What did he run to? A lot of what he knew from his playing career under Phil Jackson and Warriors ball. As a cheerleader for a contender I think he'd be pretty good. A team otherwise has to be built to suit his needs and yes, nothing about his career so far has indicated he remotely deserves that. The only thing of note in Waltons career post Dubs is that he got the LeBron stomp of approval. And right after the fact they got a ring.
It's much like the no timeouts as the Kings blew their lead - that was a classic PJ let the Bulls/Lakers play through their drought move. DOES NOT WORK WITH A TEAM LIKE THE KINGS. Absolutely mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.