Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
D'Antoni interested in the Portland job.

And we have Walton.......
Have to wonder (giving a huge benefit of doubt here) if perhaps with the turnover of coaches (always is) in more stable environments might have been a factor in them keeping him. The Kings have been a turnstile for coaches, GM's and the like. Why would anyone put their future in a cesspool of crap that the Kings have been. Perhaps by giving him the opportunity with a training camp and full summer along with changes to their G-league that they may be more attractive if perceived more stable and less a den of vipers.

Just grasping at straws ........

Until the roster is set, why would a coach want to come to Sac? Currently, there is no team identity, a lack of high end talent, a soft mentality, and an owner with a bad reputation. And players are going to leave/get traded. That’s a big gamble in an industry where one opportunity may be all you get.

D'Antoni might be interested in Portland but I hope Portland is not interested in him.
Incidentally the local fanbase is pushing for some type of groundbreaking hire (Hammond) and is patting themselves on the back for derailing Kidd's candidacy and are even taking personal shots at Lillard for wanting Kidd and Billups.

Id argue that Lebrons team hoping and coaching demands cost him a ring or two.

And if these guys were requesting someone like Riley or Jackson, instead of Kidd(lol) and Billups(IDK about his coaching chops) then I'd be on board.

The definition of free agency is employees choosing their own boss. Non-athletes can change jobs whenever they want when they don’t like their boss. I did it, so can you.
So wrong. Many jobs are contracts and you can just leave. Many also have non compete clauses where you can work in the same position for x years.

The definition of free agency is employees choosing their own boss. Non-athletes can change jobs whenever they want when they don’t like their boss. I did it, so can you.
There’s a difference between changing jobs and changing bosses. Your analogy doesn’t really fit. Free agency is like changing jobs. Maybe the new boss is part of the reason you went to the new job but you can’t go to a new job and say I want someone else to be my boss. Or after years at the same job demanding a new boss.

Until the roster is set, why would a coach want to come to Sac? Currently, there is no team identity, a lack of high end talent, a soft mentality, and an owner with a bad reputation. And players are going to leave/get traded. That’s a big gamble in an industry where one opportunity may be all you get.
I think of the Kings franchise as an entry-level type of job you want to get your foot in the door to showcase either your coaching, get experience and then get let go, where as a young player might want to get drafted just so he can make a couple of millions to help his living situation and then when the opportunity arises, leave for a winning organization or get paid big and then get traded when you underperform.

Sounds like coach Bud is on the hot seat. Legit coaches hitting the market and more to come while some possible targets are going to be getting other jobs, and the Kings? Sticking with Luke before even seeing what the market might be. What a disaster.
It actually makes me wonder if some relatively stable jobs opening up is why Kings are stuck with Luke as much as we as fans have legitimate reasons to want Walton gone, it might put prospective hires in a bind knowing they won't get more than 2 years to make this a playoff team. When the team has missed 15 years not exactly a good situation to walk into if someone like Vanterpol is under consideration for a Portland and a name guy might jump into a Finals ready team?

I don't know, it's horrific if that is the case.

It actually makes me wonder if some relatively stable jobs opening up is why Kings are stuck with Luke as much as we as fans have legitimate reasons to want Walton gone, it might put prospective hires in a bind knowing they won't get more than 2 years to make this a playoff team. When the team has missed 15 years not exactly a good situation to walk into if someone like Vanterpol is under consideration for a Portland and a name guy might jump into a Finals ready team?

This is sort of what I was alluding to in a earlier post. Sad if true.

Then again, with the Kings history prospective targets might end up getting free money out of the deal. That's the one thing Vivek probably has to use as a negotiating tactic. ;) The concern now is that if they stick with Walton, he doesn't turn things around, and they let him go sometime next season then you've basically wasted another year and that pressure is only going to mount making it even more difficult to negotiate with another coach since it probably also means the Kings started unloading pieces. Then again, this franchise likes to repeat history so maybe another Karl situation will happen where a coach can really hold them over the barrel mid season, lol. If they are serious about committing to winning they need to start playing the odds better and think before they place their bets. There is a chance they turn it around under Walton next year, but there is literally no history of him doing that in his short career and so far with what we've seen on the Kings you could argue he hampers the team more than helps it when the games really matter.

There is a chance they turn it around under Walton next year, but there is literally no history of him doing that in his short career and so far with what we've seen on the Kings you could argue he hampers the team more than helps it when the games really matter.
I didn't dislike the hire but after two years I've seen enough.

You might have a point though - if you can finagle a 4 year contract (and certainly use the King's quick trigger to justify that demand) you can make a few million dollars without lifting a finger for a year or two when the axe comes swinging. I would not be disappointed if I could get fired and still get paid for 2 extra years.

I didn't dislike the hire but after two years I've seen enough.

You might have a point though - if you can finagle a 4 year contract (and certainly use the King's quick trigger to justify that demand) you can make a few million dollars without lifting a finger for a year or two when the axe comes swinging. I would not be disappointed if I could get fired and still get paid for 2 extra years.
I think Luke's already rich, from being the progeny of an NBA star, plus a long and successful career as an NBA player in his own right. I doubt he took the job on purely mercenary grounds. He's likely motivated by prestige at this point, and the Kings were by most accounts, on the upswing when he was signed. This is an important component to attracting any coaching hire.

I think Luke's already rich, from being the progeny of an NBA star, plus a long and successful career as an NBA player in his own right. I doubt he took the job on purely mercenary grounds. He's likely motivated by prestige at this point, and the Kings were by most accounts, on the upswing when he was signed. This is an important component to attracting any coaching hire.
I was talking about the prospect of future hires who may not have had long pro careers opting to wait for openings with teams that should at least make the playoffs vs. the expectation that this team has to make the playoffs despite not having done so in 15 seasons.

Although I guess the stint with the Kings didn't hurt Malone.

lost me there brother :D
It's like people who swear by Colors from BTBAM when the Silent Circus is waiting.

It's like people who swear by Powerslave, not realizing that The Number of the Beast is actually the quintessential Maiden album.

It's like people who think Metallica peaked at the black album, when And Justice For All was truly the apex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.