Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah "stretch provision" doesn't make sense for coaches since you can buy out the contract if you mutually agree or you can terminate and pay as owed. For Luke I wouldn't mind if we had "other duties as assigned" in there somewhere and paid him 11.5 million to clean the toilets in the arena after the game.

I am sure the contract played a part in the decision for this season but the long term damage is going to be more than 11.5 million if we keep him.

Also while I didn't oppose the hire at the time, I really, really think we could have gotten better terms given we basically hired him the second the spot opened up.
Because the owners dont have the money to pay an $11 mil lump sum.
It would be hilarious to demote him to assistant coach and hire another head coach.

Don't have, or don't want to pay that, plus whatever they'll need to pay to entice a new coach to come work for them.

It's telling that they aren't willing to consider this an $11 million investment to improve their product. Sure, there have been significant operating losses the last year, but the value of their equity in the team has skyrocketed since 2013. Maybe their customers should start thinking of better uses of our time and attention.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It would be hilarious to demote him to assistant coach and hire another head coach.
The owners didn't want to pony up money for off the court product and investments, I think player/coach salaries are an entirely different matter. Nobody blinks about any of the player signings and say what you will about Luke's salary, its still a lot less than an MLE gone south.

The owners didn't want to pony up money for off the court product and investments, I think player/coach salaries are an entirely different matter. Nobody blinks about any of the player signings and say what you will about Luke's salary, its still a lot less than an MLE gone south.
Salaries are paid (i think monthly, based on games played) during the season. The team has had basicly zero fan/arena revenue the past year. They most likely are already dipping into reserves and took loans from the league office.

After the season, the next payment isnt due till the first month of the season. Based on the 11.5 mil at 164 games left on the contract he makes about 70k per game or around 950k per month during the season.

Yeah "stretch provision" doesn't make sense for coaches since you can buy out the contract if you mutually agree or you can terminate and pay as owed. For Luke I wouldn't mind if we had "other duties as assigned" in there somewhere and paid him 11.5 million to clean the toilets in the arena after the game.

I am sure the contract played a part in the decision for this season but the long term damage is going to be more than 11.5 million if we keep him.

Also while I didn't oppose the hire at the time, I really, really think we could have gotten better terms given we basically hired him the second the spot opened up.
It’s deferred money. If you have a stretch provision you can lessen the impact to the bottom line and also reduce your total financial hit by funding an annuity that would pay out over time.

The Kings who already have lost a lot of money may keep him on board to save a couple million more next year.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It’s deferred money. If you have a stretch provision you can lessen the impact to the bottom line and also reduce your total financial hit by funding an annuity that would pay out over time.

The Kings who already have lost a lot of money may keep him on board to save a couple million more next year.
The "Stretch provision" is a thing that exists because of salary cap. Coaches aren't capped. You can alter their deal to a Bobby Bonilla deal if you wanted to by mutual agreement.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Salaries are paid (i think monthly, based on games played) during the season. The team has had basicly zero fan/arena revenue the past year. They most likely are already dipping into reserves and took loans from the league office.

After the season, the next payment isnt due till the first month of the season. Based on the 11.5 mil at 164 games left on the contract he makes about 70k per game or around 950k per month during the season.
I am not minimizing the finances of the league but the cash call they had was centered around non-basketball operations. There are a lot of enterprises outside the arena that don't get TV revenue - which the basketball side does - and probably would be eligible for financial relief due to the pandemic that factored in.

Multimillionaires and billionaires aren't struggling right now. 11 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what many CEOs get when they are fired.

The "Stretch provision" is a thing that exists because of salary cap. Coaches aren't capped.
You are correct, but I'm pretty sure everyone gets this. Folks seem to be using "stretch provision" as a shorthand for deferred compensation, even if "stretch provision" is a salary cap term of art in a different context.

You can alter their deal to a Bobby Bonilla deal if you wanted to by mutual agreement.
At this point, why would Walton agree to that?

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
At this point, why would Walton agree to that?
People agree to buyouts all the time. Presumably if the Kings didn't/couldn't pay it as scheduled in the contract they would have to pay more to amortize it. The up front money is always less, so it's potentially better for Walton to spread it out over a longer period of time. It could have favorable tax implications, etc. doing so.

When it's lottery winnings, most people are better off taking the lump sum and investing on their own since they are typically middle class. When it's $11 million up front or $1 million per year for 20 years, there's a very reasonable case to take the latter.

i still don’t understand what the big deal is. I feel like that added info was just put in to make things look worse than it is. Coaches contract doesn’t count against the cap, so stretching it wouldn’t matter. Also I never even heard of a coaches contract having a stretch provision. You hear coaches fired and let go all the time and never heard of stretching. Either it doesn’t exist, rarely exists, or rarely exercised. U guys are over analyzing and being over critical for no reason, which is prob what the tweet was meant to do.

I think I remember Amick saying on a podcast that Walton and Monte have actually become pretty tight and like minded despite Walton not being his hire. I thought he would be gone but I’m pretty sure he’ll be back

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think I remember Amick saying on a podcast that Walton and Monte have actually become pretty tight and like minded despite Walton not being his hire. I thought he would be gone but I’m pretty sure he’ll be back
Now that is troubling. I am sure Walton is a good guy and not a total idiot but as a coach he absolutely sucks.

i still don’t understand what the big deal is. I feel like that added info was just put in to make things look worse than it is. Coaches contract doesn’t count against the cap, so stretching it wouldn’t matter. Also I never even heard of a coaches contract having a stretch provision. You hear coaches fired and let go all the time and never heard of stretching. Either it doesn’t exist, rarely exists, or rarely exercised. U guys are over analyzing and being over critical for no reason, which is prob what the tweet was meant to do.
Here's the relevant portion of the article. It says such provisions are common, but not in Walton's contract. It's too bad they use the term "stretch provision," because it's easy to confuse with the one in the CBA that applies to player deals, but that's not what they mean.

The Kings not only owe him a combined $11.5 million after this season but also, according to sources with knowledge of the deal, are unable to stretch those payments out over several years if they fired him.

While coaching contracts often include this kind of stretch provision, the sources said Walton’s deal that was signed in mid-April 2019 does not. Considering the context here, with the Kings known to have lost approximately $100 million as a result of the pandemic, this will certainly play into the decision-making process. If fired, he would have to be paid in accordance with the original timing of the deal.

Yeah, the article says Walton has "strong relationships" with Monte as well as Fox.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's frankly the difference between getting married with a pre-nup or not. You can still get out of the marriage a multiple of ways without one, it's just not defined, and you don't risk p-ing off your future spouse in the process.

that said I sure as hell will never get married again without one :D

The "Stretch provision" is a thing that exists because of salary cap. Coaches aren't capped. You can alter their deal to a Bobby Bonilla deal if you wanted to by mutual agreement.
Sure by mutual agreement. But deferred compensation can and does occur in other contexts than just the salary cap

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sure by mutual agreement. But deferred compensation can and does occur in other contexts than just the salary cap
They can also just fire him and pay per the contract terms which I imagine are a monthly, annual or per game salary. This is a huge nothingburger. And anyone with a 401k who didn't panic and sell at the start of COVID know how the rich are doing right now.

That's BS, they work on credit I'm sure. This is a ghost ship, nothing more. If they keep Luke on then it's because Vivek and co. are super gun shy. All those jabs in the media over the years hurt his butt.

Now that is troubling. I am sure Walton is a good guy and not a total idiot but as a coach he absolutely sucks.
And the issue is he's already shown that even if over a short period of time things are on track, he's capable of changing direction and **** canning it all in one fell swoop. This is bad all the way around. As of now this is potentially on track to next year being wasted also. Right as Bagely is on the hook for an extension and the cap is getting bogged down. That means it's very possible Monte is stuck for a few seasons then fired himself within the next few seasons and a full true rebuild begins a la when they moved Cousins. This time the Cuz might be Fox.

They can also just fire him and pay per the contract terms which I imagine are a monthly, annual or per game salary. This is a huge nothingburger. And anyone with a 401k who didn't panic and sell at the start of COVID know how the rich are doing right now.
I respectfully disagree. While these owner equity investments may be doing good to great, the reality is a lot of them are heavily weighted into businesses that are entertainment based and the revenue has been limited or even possibly zero for the past 12 months.

It's really easy for us to say "hey on paper that guy is worth 20 Million" but if its in illiquid assets AND he had to take on debt and/or sell off funds to keep doors open they may not be able to pony up their share of the cash calls. It's already on record that Vivek had to cover some minority owners portions. We don't know if that was in the form of a loan or in an ownership reallocation.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Don’t worry everybody! We drafted Tyrese at 12! This late season MASSIVE WINNING CULTURE streak will let us select around there again! McNair WILL DO THIS AGAIN!

And next season Luke Walton will take this WINNING CULTURE and take us to the promised land! Guaranteed! (The promised land is missing the playoffs again and landing in the 12th spot AGAIN!)

I LOVE THE KINGS!

I'm not sure how much we can trust the numbers with revenue sharing as far as the Kings losses.

Yep, worst fears realized. The PR mess begins now. Lets see how long it takes before Vivek is covered in egg yet again. Sucks for Monte, but you might not survive this either bud.
The "gap year" ends for McNair if Luke is coaching this team game 1. He all of a sudden is forced to win year 2, accelerating his timeline, rather than getting the time to build the roster the way he wants.

Seems crazy you'd want to tie your success to Walton, but we'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.