Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mental gymnastics to get to these conclusions lol...

No one said a top 5 pick is a guarantee to get to the promised land. Your team actually has to have a good coach, GM, supporting cast. Million other factors. But there's no argument for saying those teams would be better off without Zion/Ja/Melo/KAT/Ingram/Simmons etc.
Lol what was the point of that long ass post about getting a top 5 pick then? The point of the game is to win a championship. Not draft a good player and play mediocre basketball.

Kings fans never learn. I’m going to post about all the right picks of top 5 picks and leave out the misses in the last 5 years and how the kings should do what they did.

someone points out those teams still suck

well I never said if they do what they did they’ll win a championship

o_O:rolleyes::D

We have fox top 5
Bagley top 2
Rook (should be top 3)

What are we waiting for. Removd the pieces that are not working so we can get on with this.

Buddy (6th man at best make him that or trade him)
Barnes ( not good enough and not young enough) trade him)
Holmes good bench player does not fit with Bagley.
Won't ever work starting together (do something!)

Cojo - Trade
Jeffries- start
Guy - play more
Start the dam rookie!!!!!

These are obvious moves I feel like I'm trapped with this dam team.

How can fans who have been losing for 14 years stress patience. No No No I want to get in playoffs by any means nessasary I don't care about winning it all I want to taste the playoffs. Period. Sacrifice what you want its time. We don't develop talent. If we did we would be playing young players we are not we are waisting another year

Lol what was the point of that long ass post about getting a top 5 pick then? The point of the game is to win a championship. Not draft a good player and play mediocre basketball.

Kings fans never learn. I’m going to post about all the right picks of top 5 picks and leave out the misses in the last 5 years and how the kings should do what they did.

someone points out those teams still suck

well I never said if they do what they did they’ll win a championship

o_O:rolleyes::D
Win a championship? You can't be a kings fan talking like that. I've been a kings fan for 35 years. Winning a championship is the furthest thing from my mind. How about being respectable. We could have drafted zion and we would be no more closer now than we where then. We need playoffs! We have to change the culture.

We just made fox a max player.
Bagley will leave as soon as he can with this environment. Any sane player will.

Championship smh baby steps sir

You say what good would making to the playoffs do only to lose. I say plenty! How about snap the longest drought in history. How about maybe attracting some free agents. Draft a stud? Ok we will lose studs too. How about making these games watchable. You guys say we been scratching the bottom forever and need to tank and forget not only does tanking not guarantee you the number 1 spot but we just had the number 2 spot. We need good coaching and some dam trades when they matter. Be buyers not sellers and push to this 8th seed for the good of the francise. This is pathetic
This is the exact same thing they do almost every year. Push for the 8th seed with inferior talent. Then lose out on the 8th seed because of the inferior talent and then pick more inferior talent because they are further down in the draft. Rinse and repeat.

There is no road to the playoffs with this squad. Doesn't matter if Walton gets fired or if some minor trades get made.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This is the exact same thing they do almost every year. Push for the 8th seed with inferior talent. Then lose out on the 8th seed because of the inferior talent and then pick more inferior talent because they are further down in the draft. Rinse and repeat.

There is no road to the playoffs with this squad. Doesn't matter if Walton gets fired or if some minor trades get made.
I mean, there was a road to the playoffs with this squad but it vanished about five losses ago.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The road to maybe the eight seen and getting crushed by the Lakers just isn’t that appealing to me. Give me another lottery with a competent GM.
Right. Considering how good his first draft looks (Tyrese is a star and Woodard has looked awesome in the Gubble), I want another year of Monte crushing the draft before we really dig into "winning now"

The road to maybe the eight seen and getting crushed by the Lakers just isn’t that appealing to me. Give me another lottery with a competent GM.
At some point, just about every team at the bottom that moved up was that 7 or 8 seed that got crushed before they moved to the middle seeds or to the top. Not every team goes from bottom dweller to top seed unless lebron was leading them. Ok I would really like to end this playoff drought. But with this years draft class, I’m with you. I’m fine with waiting a year, having a good gm draft a stud, hire a good coach and go for the playoffs next year.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At some point, just about every team at the bottom that moved up was that 7 or 8 seed that got crushed before they moved to the middle seeds or to the top. Not every team goes from bottom dweller to top seed unless lebron was leading them. Ok would really like to end this playoff drought. But with this years draft class, I’m with you. I’m fine with waiting a year, having a good gm draft a stud, hire a good coach and go for the playoffs next year.
I mean, if we were really really committed to the tank, we'd also bomb next season and form the ultimate young player Voltron of Emoni/Bagley/Cade/Tyrese/Fox.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the Kings hit .500 I was 100% on board with doing what could be done (within reason) to make a playoff push. At some point the team has to start building a winning culture.

But now?

This team just lost 8 in a row and are 4.5 games out of the playoffs with 4 teams ahead of them for the 8th seed. Another 7-1 run would still have them below .500 and likely still looking up at the Warriors and/or Mavs.

If this team has it in it to make another run they'd better start now. They play the Knicks, Pistons, and Hornets, followed by the Lakers (without Anthony Davis) and then the Blazers to finish the first half of the schedule.

If they go 4-1 then maybe there's some momentum to finish the season strong. If they go 2-3 or 1-4 then the arguments about whether it's better to make the playoffs or tank are moot. The Kings will likely be too far back to make up ground in the hunt for the 8th seed.

At that point it's just a matter of where they'll pick in the lottery and if McNair is allowed to fire Walton.

At that point it's just a matter of where they'll pick in the lottery and if McNair is allowed to fire Walton.
The latter part is one of my biggest concerns. If he isn't allowed, he isn't in charge. If he is and doesn't then perhaps he doesn't have the fortitude for the hard decisions. Players aren't stupid and see the lack of anything consistent on top of the double standards. I don’t know if the stance will change but I assume the former and he isn't allowed.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The latter part is one of my biggest concerns. If he isn't allowed, he isn't in charge. If he is and doesn't then perhaps he doesn't have the fortitude for the hard decisions. Players aren't stupid and see the lack of anything consistent on top of the double standards. I don’t know if the stance will change but I assume the former and he isn't allowed.
Hard to say. Lots of financial considerations are likely in play during a season with decreased revenue and no fans in the stands.

Last night against the Nets the Kings' played great. It was a good example of why you cannot blame Walton for the Kings for being so good at losing.
There are just too many teams in the NBA full of better players.

Hard to say. Lots of financial considerations are likely in play during a season with decreased revenue and no fans in the stands.
At the beginning of the season, I would totally be okay with that line of reasoning. It made sense.

Now on the other hand, that reasoning is becoming more shaky as we go along. People have learned to do without and developed new means for entertainment. Balancing short term financial over long-term clientele engagement is a tricky proposition. Easier to keep paying customers than it is to regain them after the fact.

Just look at the this board and the number taking the option to only bother watching if the Kings win. To me that is a reflection of a product viewed in less than flattering light.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the beginning of the season, I would totally be okay with that line of reasoning. It made sense.

Now on the other hand, that reasoning is becoming more shaky as we go along. People have learned to do without and developed new means for entertainment. Balancing short term financial over long-term clientele engagement is a tricky proposition. Easier to keep paying customers than it is to regain them after the fact.

Just look at the this board and the number taking the option to only bother watching if the Kings win. To me that is a reflection of a product viewed in less than flattering light.
Definitely. No disagreement from me that it's a bad situation. But I don't think firing Walton midseason and promoting Gentry is what would bring the fans back. Not unless him becoming the interim coach means the team starts winning consistently.

Now, if McNair isn't given free reign to choose his own coach in the off-season that's a different story.

For that matter, maybe part of the rationale of NOT replacing Luke is that if Gentry does well as the interim coach there may be pressure to retain him as head coach even if he and McNair aren't philosophically aligned. I have no idea, just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Definitely. No disagreement from me that it's a bad situation. But I don't think firing Walton midseason and promoting Gentry is what would bring the fans back. Not unless him becoming the interim coach means the team starts winning consistently.

Now, if McNair isn't given free reign to choose his own coach in the off-season that's a different story.

For that matter, part of the rationale of NOT replacing Luke is that if Gentry does well as the interim coach there may be pressure to retain him as head coach even if he and McNair aren't philosophically aligned. I have no idea, just throwing that out there.
All good points. And with Gentry, if what I have read here is accurate, you can't have a plethora of vets because of his tendencies to use them.

What could bring fans back around isn’t necessarily the wins but the hope. If you have players playing smart and hard AND those players are part of the future..... that puts things in a different perspective. Right now, different day but same old story. The script needs changing.

I don't think it is just about how much money the Kings can make this season. Without fans in the seats, that was limited from the beginning. However, if they fire Walton now I believe they will being paying 3 former head coaches at once. Whoever becomes interim head coach gets a raise. That gets very expensive.

I don't think it is just about how much money the Kings can make this season. Without fans in the seats, that was limited from the beginning. However, if they fire Walton now I believe they will being paying 3 former head coaches at once. Whoever becomes interim head coach gets a raise. That gets very expensive.
What they can make this season is pretty much fixed already. Fans not coming back is disastrous. I am not local so I don't really know the mindset. Why fork the money over when you can stay safely at home and just flip the channel?

When fans are allowed back, the product better not be the problem.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Walton is a hell of a tank commander. Might be the best ever.
He did get the Lakers a 2nd overall pick. Maybe two? Not sure if he was coaching the year prior to them landing Ingram.

Either way, Luke’s tank commanding lead to the Lakers stockpiling of youth, which lead to the AD trade, which lead to a Championship!!

So bring us that ring, Luke! I believe!!

(but also definitely fire him this summer)

He did get the Lakers a 2nd overall pick. Maybe two? Not sure if he was coaching the year prior to them landing Ingram.

Either way, Luke’s tank commanding lead to the Lakers stockpiling of youth, which lead to the AD trade, which lead to a Championship!!

So bring us that ring, Luke! I believe!!

(but also definitely fire him this summer)
The problem is he almost killed all that youth too. He's the type of coach that will elevate a Kyle Kuzma over a Brandon Ingram and Julius Randle. Hmmm... looks familiar huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.