Fire Paul Westphal

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Keep Westphal til this dreaded season is over. If another "legit" coach is out there in the summer, then go on and fire Westphal. At this point, there really isn't anything better out there, atleast IMO.

Time for coach to ride off into the sunset me thinks. We need somebody that will focus more on developing youth rather than focusing on how many craptastic lineups based around role players he can produce in the span of one game.

This team has no identity or consistent style of play. Not really hard to find the right direction to point the finger in if you ask me.

Keep Westphal til this dreaded season is over. If another "legit" coach is out there in the summer, then go on and fire Westphal. At this point, there really isn't anything better out there, atleast IMO.
I believe we have someone that begs to differ and I wouldn't put it past this candidate to do a better job.

I don't think anyone has claimed that they can't make a difference. What I and others are saying, is that they can't perform miracles. The Coach can't shoot free throws for a team that's shooting 70%, can't stop players from making dumb turnovers in crunch time, can't stop defensive breakdowns, blown assignments, etc. At some point you have to put it on the players to execute the assignments they're supposed to.
So losing a 23 point lead in 24 minutes of basketball isn't a miracle? A team can't win when they shoot 70% from the line? Orlando and Chicago beg to differ. This team has no offensive game plan. Their sets are horrendous, period. Coming out of timeouts, they rarely run a play that results in points. Like baja said, coaching is about consistency. There is none on this team. No progress at all and Westphal just shrugs and says "well, we turn the ball over and can't score." among other things. That is the attitude that is pervading the whole team right now and it is more visible than ever. Some of these players know how to win, or at least they did at some point in their life. I think that the "habits of losing" that a couple people have talked about already is something to greatly worry about. You can read Westphal's face and body language the whole game, while standing and pacing on the sideline, and begin to understand where that attitude originates. He is okay with losing.

Still trying to figure out if the Kings practice...?

Last edited:
I understand the financial reasoning behind keeping Westphal in Sac until the end of the season... but come on Maloofs, bring in a coach that'll give us a chance to win some games. Why is everyone content to let this season go? We've been patient enough. 2 years ago people were saying we needed to tank and then rebuild through the draft. Then last season it was tank again, draft again. Why are people willing to suffer through ANOTHER season? We have drafted enough young talent. Enough is enough. Given our arena situation, it'd be in the Maloof's best interest to get some W's and maybe some more fans in the seats. Firing Westphal would set a precedent and show that this organization isn't going to happily sit in mediocrity. With the amount of BS going on behind the scenes do you think any A-list player will want to play under Westphal?

I understand the financial reasoning behind keeping Westphal in Sac until the end of the season... but come on Maloofs, bring in a coach that'll give us a chance to win some games. Why is everyone content to let this season go? We've been patient enough. 2 years ago people were saying we needed to tank and then rebuild through the draft. Then last season it was tank again, draft again. Why are people willing to suffer through ANOTHER season? We have drafted enough young talent. Enough is enough. Given our arena situation, it'd be in the Maloof's best interest to get some W's and maybe some more fans in the seats. Firing Westphal would set a precedent and show that this organization isn't going to happily sit in mediocrity. With the amount of BS going on behind the scenes do you think any A-list player will want to play under Westphal?
To be honest, it's not the wins I'm concerned about. We are already out of the playoff run, and no new coach will be able to change that. What I'm concerned about is that he is hurting the development of our young players in a way that will have long-term consequences long after he is gone. He is not coaching Tyreke in a way that is constructive to his development, and he is frustrating Donte, Omri, Jt and Cousins into developing bad basketball habits and out of being able to play within a team frame.

So losing a 23 point lead in 24 minutes of basketball isn't a miracle?
Nope. It’s a choke job. Nothing more.

A team can't win when they shoot 70% from the line?
That’s not what I said. What I will say though, is that The Kings can’t win shooting 70%.

Orlando and Chicago beg to differ
Yeah I’m pretty sure they’re a lot better than The Kings, and thus can get away with poor free throw shooting.

This team has no offensive game plan. Their sets are horrendous, period.
Then how do they manage to play excellent offense for 1, 2, sometimes 3 quarters? Fluke?

Some of these players know how to win, or at least they did at some point in their life.
With the exception of Landry and maybe Dalembert, no one on the Kings has ever been a significant part of a winning team.

[ You can read Westphal's face and body language the whole game, while standing and pacing on the sideline, and begin to understand where that attitude originates. He is okay with losing.
Pacing the sideline indicates to you that he’s OK with losing?

To be honest, it's not the wins I'm concerned about. We are already out of the playoff run, and no new coach will be able to change that. What I'm concerned about is that he is hurting the development of our young players in a way that will have long-term consequences long after he is gone. He is not coaching Tyreke in a way that is constructive to his development, and he is frustrating Donte, Omri, Jt and Cousins into developing bad basketball habits and out of being able to play within a team frame.
True...dat. Add that to the laundry list of complaints.

Anyone listening to Grant right now? He just said that from what he's seen, traveling with the team, Paul Westphal is not the problem. He didn't really elaborate, he just said to trust him on it.

Anyone listening to Grant right now? He just said that from what he's seen, traveling with the team, Paul Westphal is not the problem. He didn't really elaborate, he just said to trust him on it.
Right. A bit more specifically Grant said PW is not problem with this Kings team right now - apparently deserving right to change his opinion later into the season. Of note, he ragged on Tyreke for saying after last nights game he was "fatigued," apparently using that as an excuse for a mediocre second half and teams ultimate loss to NOH. Grant ripped Evans pretty good, saying he's paid millions of dollars to be in tip top shape, to play big minutes as required, and being a player in his early 20's - it's last thing he should use as a lame excuse. Maybe the foot is still a problem, but prior to game Evans told coach he was 100% and ready to go. Basicially, it seems Napear is solidly in the corner that says Kings are not focused for 48 minutes like they must to be with "their talent," make mental mistakes at the worse times, get outhustled a lot especially in crunch time, and more... but it's ALL or nearly ALL on the roster of blokes PW has been handed.

I only listened to Grant for a few minutes today, but what was interesting to me when he was comparing Sac and OKC, he said one of the biggest differences was that Durant, their best player, is also their hardest working. He followed that by saying Tyreke definitely wasn't the kings hardest working player.

A lot of what Grant says I dismiss. But he would know better than any of us who is the first to practice, and the last to leave, which was exactly how he described Durant. Being around the team and practice facility he would have an idea who's putting in the extra reps, and who isn't.

I'm not making much of this. I think Tyreke does work pretty hard on his game. Apparently there are guys working harder on this roster though.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I only listened to Grant for a few minutes today, but what was interesting to me when he was comparing Sac and OKC, he said one of the biggest differences was that Durant, their best player, is also their hardest working. He followed that by saying Tyreke definitely wasn't the kings hardest working player.

A lot of what Grant says I dismiss. But he would know better than any of us who is the first to practice, and the last to leave, which was exactly how he described Durant. Being around the team and practice facility he would have an idea who's putting in the extra reps, and who isn't.

I'm not making much of this. I think Tyreke does work pretty hard on his game. Apparently there are guys working harder on this roster though.
What Grant messed up on though was that Westbrook is just as a hard worker, hell maybe even more. He is as good as Durant and he is one of the MAIN reasons OKC is as good as they are, and going to be. People need to stop overlooking Russell. Real talk.

Paul Westphal doesn't seem like a total idiot. I don't think traveling with the team would show the clear faults within the strategy for development of this teams youth. If he was in the locker room at half time or privy to details about his game plan his tune would probably change.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Tyreke said last year he was going to work on his stamina in the off-season. Didn't happen.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What Grant messed up on though was that Westbrook is just as a hard worker, hell maybe even more. He is as good as Durant and he is one of the MAIN reasons OKC is as good as they are, and going to be. People need to stop overlooking Russell. Real talk.
So let's connect the dots..... Durant and Westbrook
........................................Tyreke and Cousins.

If what you say is true, then what's the conclusion that can be drawn?

So let's connect the dots..... Durant and Westbrook
........................................Tyreke and Cousins.

If what you say is true, then what's the conclusion that can be drawn?
That OKC are potential title contenders and we are the worst team in the league? That's not a big secret...

He didn't mess up. That wasn't what he was talking about. He compared the work ethic of OKC's best player to our best. We all know Westbrook is a stud. While Durant and Westbrook were playing for Team USA and clearly taking their games up a level, our top 2 players, Tyreke and Cousins, came into camp out of shape.

Tyreke said last year he was going to work on his stamina in the off-season. Didn't happen.
If i'm not wrong when he was working on his jumper, what he did was look at video tapes from his HS with his brothers, and basicly from what I understood came with the conclusion nothing is wrong with it and all he needs to do is have confidence and shoot more.

Would have liked him to say "I'm doing this wrong, I gotta work hard and change it to make it work" rather then something like "It's all good, I just need to throw more and basicly do the same thing i've been doing till now".

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He didn't mess up. That wasn't what he was talking about. He compared the work ethic of OKC's best player to our best. We all know Westbrook is a stud. While Durant and Westbrook were playing for Team USA and clearly taking their games up a level, our top 2 players, Tyreke and Cousins, came into camp out of shape.
Who's fault exactly was that?

OKC aren't title contenders just yet, they are a playoff team though.
I said "potential" title contender, and I wouldn't write them off so quickly. They are currently fourth in the west and they are still constantly improving. Who knows how good they are going to be by the end of the season. They already have two guys in the conversation for the MVP award. Even Miami doesn't have that...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I said "potential" title contender, and I wouldn't write them off so quickly. They are currently fourth in the west and they are still constantly improving. Who knows how good they are going to be by the end of the season. They already have two guys in the conversation for the MVP award. Even Miami doesn't have that...
While true, you can only get so far without a big man to throw the ball inside to when you need points. In the playoffs, yes they will get their numbers and all but they won't get too far because eventually everything slows down in the playoffs, as you know. They are a big man away from being title contenders, until then...there is nothing wrong with going to the playoffs until you do find your big man.

While true, you can only get so far without a big man to throw the ball inside to when you need points. In the playoffs, yes they will get their numbers and all but they won't get too far because eventually everything slows down in the playoffs, as you know. They are a big man away from being title contenders, until then...there is nothing wrong with going to the playoffs until you do find your big man.
They will probably try to pull off a trade before the deadline to get a big man. I imagine they will try to go after Marc Gasol, either by trade, or in free agency in the offseason. With him they might become a legit contender.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If i'm not wrong when he was working on his jumper, what he did was look at video tapes from his HS with his brothers, and basicly from what I understood came with the conclusion nothing is wrong with it and all he needs to do is have confidence and shoot more.

Would have liked him to say "I'm doing this wrong, I gotta work hard and change it to make it work" rather then something like "It's all good, I just need to throw more and basicly do the same thing i've been doing till now".
Yeah, that quote speaks to what he did (or didn't) do in the offseason for his jumper. And it doesn't make me jump up and down with glee about his intelligence in going about improving his game.

I'm just talking strictly about his stamina. He acknowledged that he needed to work on it, but it didn't happen. He came into camp with more weight than he had before and his stamina certainly doesn't look any better to me. For him to become a top tier player defensively, he's got to improve his stamina so he can sustain effort.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Since we're facing OKC, Scott Brooks probably would have accepted a head coaching position with us a while back. Wonder what the team would look like with him at the helm.
Brooks really isn't that impressive of a coach. It helps to have players with high IQs and willing to put in effort and defend. Any coach could win with that team.