Finding a Diamond in the Rough (Free Agency)

I went ahead and compiled some stats, measurements, etc. for some of the younger free agents this year (table below) in an effort to see if any of these guys "pop." Rather than being selfish and keeping it to myself, I thought I would share it with everyone here.

Looking at the table below (or going off whatever you have seen on tape), who's your 'diamond in the rough' free agent signing?

1530238712696.png

If Noel can stay healthy and we sign him for 8-10million a season he would be a steal imo, because he does a lot of what WCS does and until last season was a way better shotblocker/defender around the rim and rebounder. On the other hand if WCS has a similar season or slightly better than last year e.g 12/7/0.9 bpg than he will probably demand on the market massive money imo and would not be worth it. They're the same age as well I believe.

Tried to lookat the table on my phone o_O. I like Napier but he's not much of a defender. If upside is the key I still like Mario. I feel like he should be plan C though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I went ahead and compiled some stats, measurements, etc. for some of the younger free agents this year (table below) in an effort to see if any of these guys "pop." Rather than being selfish and keeping it to myself, I thought I would share it with everyone here.

Looking at the table below (or going off whatever you have seen on tape), who's your 'diamond in the rough' free agent signing?

View attachment 7984
Thank you. The amount of work you put in is staggering. Lots of information there for those who really like/appreciate statistics. :)

Fred VanVleet is primed and ready to break out. He could very easily be this years Terry Rozier. I'd pick him up in a second if we had the chance. He would be a fantastic insurance policy if Fox doesn't develop. He's restricted so the Kings would have to over pay to nab him. Most people wouldn't over pay for a PG since we have Fox but it wouldn't surprise me if VanVleet was the better player in the end. In fact I think he will be. Plus I wouldn't doubt it if the Kings overpaid for a position we're already stacked in anyway so might as well get the BPA.

Kyle Anderson is another intriguing guy. He is one of the best defensive players in the league. He's a marginal 3 point shooter but the scary thing is that he's never taken more than 57 in a season. He rebounds, distributes the ball and like I said, has elite elite defense. It would be a roll of the dice but if he got signed and developed even a 35% three point shot, this guy would be one of the best 3&D players in the game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fred VanVleet is primed and ready to break out. He could very easily be this years Terry Rozier. I'd pick him up in a second if we had the chance. He would be a fantastic insurance policy if Fox doesn't develop. He's restricted so the Kings would have to over pay to nab him. Most people wouldn't over pay for a PG since we have Fox but it wouldn't surprise me if VanVleet was the better player in the end. In fact I think he will be. Plus I wouldn't doubt it if the Kings overpaid for a position we're already stacked in anyway so might as well get the BPA.

Kyle Anderson is another intriguing guy. He is one of the best defensive players in the league. He's a marginal 3 point shooter but the scary thing is that he's never taken more than 57 in a season. He rebounds, distributes the ball and like I said, has elite elite defense. It would be a roll of the dice but if he got signed and developed even a 35% three point shot, this guy would be one of the best 3&D players in the game.
VanVleet was a good reserve for me in one of my fantasy leagues last season. I watched him a couple of times when I was waiting for another game, didn't change the channel, etc. I would not go so far, however, as to say he'll end up being better than Fox.

VanVleet is our shot at having one of the best young guard rotations in the league

Parker is intriguing as our young SF of the future. If he stays healthy, could well be a game changer. I prefer his ceiling to Mario

Harrell was a absolute monster last season after getting playing time at the Clippers, he brings plenty of toughness as well and plays both as a undersized PF/C would love his grit along with Bagley/Giles while moving the other pieces. He scored 11ppg on 63% in only 17mins per game in tense games that were life or death in terms of playoffs for the Clippers and he was actually creating for himself as well.

The way I read it right now I don't see a lot of urgency to spend big here. Low possibility to get a value contract like that. With Bagley in town it also eliminates the option of going after combo forwards like Parker or Gordon.
On the yearly mock offseason of the Duncd'on podcast it became clear pretty quickly that space will dry up around the league after the big guys sign. Guys like Bjelica, Payton or Hezonja didnt even get more than five million or the minimum in the end.
Seems like the Kings will be best served by either selling their space to the highest bidder early in exchange for draft compensation or stay patient and wait out the market and see what is left.