Expectations of Kings' defense, 2021-22

I get the concern related to rebounding with the 3 guard.
Having Len shoot threes is not a good idea, and neither should Holmes start launching them,. not when you have 3 guards.

I get the concern related to rebounding with the 3 guard.
Having Len shoot threes is not a good idea, and neither should Holmes start launching them,. not when you have 3 guards.
Probably not a good idea - and yet there's the mystery of Len's having proven himself a solid 3-pt shooter the one year he really tried.

But, again, the context for my question about Len is the problem of how to get enough rebounding on the floor when Davion/Ty/DFox play together. And, preferably, how to do that without clogging the lane especially for Fox. Metu and Bags are the only frontline guys who *might* be able to shoot 3's decently on the offensive end AND grab big boards on the defensive end - and neither is proven on the 3's front. If Len *could* pose a long-ball treat, as he did just a couple years ago...

Last edited:
Buddy at the 4? He can't defend the 2 or the 3.
He did defend 3's pretty well last year. The idea would be what 4 is going to defend him on the other end? Defensively more than a few times players thought they could back him down and he did well sticking them. He played a bit at the 4 last year and it was what it was. The Kings could have gone a more traditional route this summer, but they didn't. In fact, they went even further and deeper into the imbalance the roster presented on paper last season and haven't actually moved any of these pieces like Buddy or Bagley who have been repeatedly dangled if reports are true. They have what they have and now they either go all the way with it or watch the contracts perceived as not too bad become albatrosses.

In this case I think they are more damned if they don't then if they do. If Buddy gets enough minutes to maintain some value and they see him as a full time SG then that means Haliburton and Mitchell are deeper rotation pieces. Attempts to play them all at the SG spot means they all dip since they are now a platoon. And Walton has shown a propensity to play some guys for a few games then switch off. He will lose his locker room so quick his head will spin if he does. If they attempt to play traditional setups like Walton prefers with Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, and Holmes then Mitchell and Haliburton are fighting eachother for bench minutes. I feel the traditional lineup will be the starting lineup come opening night if Waltons habit of sticking with what he knows continues.

Last edited:
He did defend 3's pretty well last year. The idea would be what 4 is going to defend him on the other end? Defensively more than a few times players thought they could back him down and he did well sticking them. He played a bit at the 4 last year and it was what it was. The Kings could have gone a more traditional route this summer, but they didn't. In fact, they went even further and deeper into the imbalance the roster presented on paper last season and haven't actually moved any of these pieces like Buddy or Bagley who have been repeatedly dangled if reports are true. They have what they have and now they either go all the way with it or watch the contracts perceived as not too bad become albatrosses.

In this case I think they are more damned if they don't then if they do. If Buddy gets enough minutes to maintain some value and they see him as a full time SG then that means Haliburton and Mitchell are deeper rotation pieces. Attempts to play them all at the SG spot means they all dip since they are now a platoon. And Walton has shown a propensity to play some guys for a few games then switch off. He will lose his locker room so quick his head will spin if he does. If they attempt to play traditional setups like Walton prefers with Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, and Holmes then Mitchell and Haliburton are fighting eachother for bench minutes. I feel the traditional lineup will be the starting lineup come opening night if Waltons habit of sticking with what he knows continues.
*Breaking News* Walton Fired after 2-13 start.

KF.com - :D

Why would anyone including Walton believe that the Kings can be successful with their old starting line-up.?
Anyone that knows pro basketball can tell you that a team can usually cover for one inferior defensive player.
No team can cover for two poor defenders spelled HIELD and BAGLEY.

I mean, to me, their off-season moves indicate they think Buddy will get a majority of his minutes at the 3. Draft Mitchell at 9, resign young player Terrance Davis to a 2 year/8 mil deal, only keep Harkless as potential wing "competition". And if he's getting 25-28 minutes at the 3, there really isn't a minutes crunch

Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis
Buddy || Harkless/Barnes/Davis
Barnes || Bagley
Holmes || Len || TT

You can support everyone if this is where you slot guys positionally. I'd much rather King/Metu get consistent bench roles over Harkless/TT/Len, but is what it is.

I mean, to me, their off-season moves indicate they think Buddy will get a majority of his minutes at the 3. Draft Mitchell at 9, resign young player Terrance Davis to a 2 year/8 mil deal, only keep Harkless as potential wing "competition". And if he's getting 25-28 minutes at the 3, there really isn't a minutes crunch

Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis
Buddy || Harkless/Barnes/Davis
Barnes || Bagley
Holmes || Len || TT

You can support everyone if this is where you slot guys positionally. I'd much rather King/Metu get consistent bench roles over Harkless/TT/Len, but is what it is.
not saying it’s gonna happen but this lineup feels like a dubs We Believe feel. We can only pray lol

not saying it’s gonna happen but this lineup feels like a dubs We Believe feel. We can only pray lol
That starting lineup was top 3 according to net rating at one point last year. But again, Walton still pushed Haliburton out so he could slot in Harkless eventually. If Walton is calling the shots I don't see him going with that unit after doing that. This is where you hope these advanced stat "genius" people in the FO are looking at the right data and force Walton to go with what is actually working. Bagley off the bench in a contract year is probably going to stir up major issues but at this point Monte is committed to playing with fire so it is what it is. He just better respect it and use some Vlade tactics of cutting bait while the cutting is good if need be. Buddy is a pro albeit testy sometimes but I don't think he'll be an issue if he hasn't been like F you guys already the way he's been reportedly dangled haha.

gunks

Hall of Famer
That starting lineup was top 3 according to net rating at one point last year. But again, Walton still pushed Haliburton out so he could slot in Harkless eventually. If Walton is calling the shots I don't see him going with that unit after doing that. This is where you hope these advanced stat "genius" people in the FO are looking at the right data and force Walton to go with what is actually working. Bagley off the bench in a contract year is probably going to stir up major issues but at this point Monte is committed to playing with fire so it is what it is. He just better respect it and use some Vlade tactics of cutting bait while the cutting is good if need be. Buddy is a pro albeit testy sometimes but I don't think he'll be an issue if he hasn't been like F you guys already the way he's been reportedly dangled haha.
You’d hope he’ll at least play himself into being tradable considering it’s a contract year.

I can’t see him starting with Holmes though, unless he’s added a lot to his game, but we know Bagley ain’t about that life….. unless this has been a case “bigs take longer to develop”, I’ll have some crow thawing just in case.

If he comes in playing better defense and stretching the floor to go along with his bouncy aggressiveness on offense, more power him! I’m always rooting for Kings players to prove me wrong. An impactful Bagley would definitely help our playoff chances.

You’d hope he’ll at least play himself into being tradable considering it’s a contract year.

I can’t see him starting with Holmes though, unless he’s added a lot to his game, but we know Bagley ain’t about that life….. unless this has been a case “bigs take longer to develop”, I’ll have some crow thawing just in case.

If he comes in playing better defense and stretching the floor to go along with his bouncy aggressiveness on offense, more power him! I’m always rooting for Kings players to prove me wrong. An impactful Bagley would definitely help our playoff chances.
Yeah, but that isn't going to happen anyway since like you said it's a contract year and teams aren't giving anything these days for players in that situation. This is the time frame where agents get a little mean. They know there are a lot of potential dollars swinging one way or the other. Marvin could be looking at a 90 million dollar deal from someone, or less than the MLE on a prove it deal and it largely depends on whether or not he's getting a piece of the teams offense and how much. It's that drastic. I think he comes in as a starter at this point next to Holmes (which would just further complicate the Kings guard glut) and if it doesn't work and gets too ugly he gets released. I'd say hopefully he explodes but then the question is who is getting their shots and production leeched from in the process? How much is he going to demand next summer? And are they just showcasing yet another free agent for teams to bid up?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Indeed.

I think best case is he plays well enough that McNair can work a sign and trade.

Even if he drops 25/10, I’d be scared as hell to lock him up. That injury risk man…

Indeed.

I think best case is he plays well enough that McNair can work a sign and trade.

Even if he drops 25/10, I’d be scared as hell to lock him up. That injury risk man…
I dunno... "Best-case Bags" is exactly what this team needs most - a scorer/rebounder/switchable defender who can stretch the floor. W/Best Case Bags in hand we wouldn't be longing for Siakam/Harris/Simmons. And he's obv. younger than any of them

You say 25 and 10. Shoot. Gimme 19 and 9 in 32 mpg with a block and a couple assists per, 36% shooting from 3, and just average man and team defense this coming year in 75+ games at age 22 - and I say this team is a playoff team and *that* Bags ain't going anywhere. Nor should he.

Impossible not to be nervous about his 50% games missed so far. But as many have said, his injuries aren't of the kind you expect to be chronic or cumulative. Maybe he really has just been unlucky. If he can put together a full season without significant injury, if he can become close to the 2021-22 version of Best Case Bags, I'm pretty sure the Kings give him his money and hope for the best.

I dunno... "Best-case Bags" is exactly what this team needs most - a scorer/rebounder/switchable defender who can stretch the floor. W/Best Case Bags in hand we wouldn't be longing for Siakam/Harris/Simmons. And he's obv. younger than any of them

You say 25 and 10. Shoot. Gimme 19 and 9 in 32 mpg with a block and a couple assists per, 36% shooting from 3, and just average man and team defense this coming year in 75+ games at age 22 - and I say this team is a playoff team and *that* Bags ain't going anywhere. Nor should he.

Impossible not to be nervous about his 50% games missed so far. But as many have said, his injuries aren't of the kind you expect to be chronic or cumulative. Maybe he really has just been unlucky. If he can put together a full season without significant injury, if he can become close to the 2021-22 version of Best Case Bags, I'm pretty sure the Kings give him his money and hope for the best.
id say even if he keeps his current stats and just plays much better defense will be enough to make the play in

id say even if he keeps his current stats and just plays much better defense will be enough to make the play in
Pretty much agree. His 14 and 7.4 over 26 mpg last year is equivalent to 17.4 and 9 over 32 mpg, close to the 19 and 9 I threw out. I do think it's important that he able able to handle 30+. If Bags isn't good enough, healthy enough, or can't be trusted to play 30+ min, including closing out games, ship him out.

Finally, he needs to become a better fit within the flow of the offense. He's remains too black-hole-ish w/his shot-jacking and reluctant passing. He's the anti-Ty in that respect. But if he can just stay healthy, all those extra practices and games w/an unselfish bunch of teammates hopefully will rub off on him.