Doug Christie vs. the Orlando Magic? (merged)

Doug Christie article in Orlando Sentinel

Christie says return would be 'difficult'

The guard says he did not feel the Magic backed him publicly when he was hurt.

By Tim Povtak
Sentinel Staff Writer

April 14, 2005

Orlando Magic guard Doug Christie won't ask to be traded publicly, but it sure sounds like he wants to be.

Even though he has another year left on his contract -- paying him $8.2 million -- Christie and agent Bradley Marshall expressed serious reservations Wednesday about the guard returning to Orlando next season.

Christie came to the Magic on Jan. 10 from the Sacramento Kings in a trade for guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Michael Bradley, but he went on the injured list March 5, effectively ending his season. He had surgery last week to remove bone spurs in his left ankle.

"I'm going to be 100 percent by next season. But to come back and play under the circumstances I've been put through [in Orlando] would be very difficult," Christie said in an interview with WFTV-Channel 9, the ABC affiliate in Orlando. "The situation doesn't fit the type of person I am."

When given the opportunity in the interview, he declined to say he wanted to be traded.

The Magic obtained Christie at midseason in hopes of becoming better defensively, but he played in only 21 games, averaging only 5.7 points, 2.6 rebounds and 25.2 minutes. At 34, he was slowed by ankle problems that had plagued him for more than a year.

He had a less-invasive procedure done to the left ankle in September in hopes that he could play this season.

His unhappiness in Orlando revolves around Magic General Manager John Weisbrod -- whom Christie said he believes did not support him publicly while he was hurt, leading to some criticism in the media that he wasn't a team player.

Christie and his agent met with Weisbrod in New York hours before he went on the injured list. He since has spent very little time in Orlando or with the team, getting other medical opinions on his ankle.

He had surgery in Seattle, which is where he has spent much of his time lately. His agent showed a bag of bone fragments from Christie's ankle in the televised interview.

"It's ridiculous that the organization could stand by and let people [in the media] attack my integrity," Christie said. "This is the team that traded for me but showed very little commitment toward me."

Weisbrod was surprised Wednesday when informed of Christie's remarks. He previously had defended Christie's decision to go elsewhere to get medical opinions, giving him permission to leave the team.

"I've never been close to uttering a disparaging word about him. The organization has done nothing but defend him," Weisbrod said. "So I have no intention of trading him or buying him out. He's making his own bed, and he's going to have to come back and lie in it, so the sooner he takes a constructive mind-set, the better."

"Doug's unhappiness is real," said Marshall. "We're not going to ask for a trade. That's not our role. I just question whether it is a good fit for the team to have this player."

Christie has been in the NBA for 13 seasons, carving a reputation as an outstanding defensive player who is unselfish offensively. But even before this season began, it was obvious that he was no longer quite the defensive stopper he once was.

The Magic still liked him defensively, but they also liked his contract, which will expire after next season. Center Kelvin Cato ($8.6 million) and forward Tony Battie ($5.2 million) also have contracts that expire after next season, giving Orlando the ability to go far under the salary cap to make them a major player in the 2006 free-agent market.

Mobley, a much better offensive player, was going to be a free agent this summer, and the Magic were not interested in signing him long term.

Christie expressed unhappiness when the trade was announced. Although the Kings were his fourth NBA team, they also were his most successful. In each of his first four seasons in Sacramento, he played at least 80 games.

"What's good for Doug Christie was having surgery and being ready to come back next season 100 percent," he said. "I loved Sacramento, but I'm an Orlando Magic now. It's just discouraging to see my integrity attacked."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sptchristie14041405apr14,1,6297287.story?coll=orl-magic&ctrack=2&cset=true

I hate it when players are traded and so obviously miserable. Some adapt and deal with it but Doug won't. He wants to be King again. I hope wherever he is, he's happy but it won't be in Orlando.

Well, I think we all saw this one coming...they obviously saw Doug only as a future bartering piece for them and never took him as a serious, talented, addition for their team...no one can be happy with that. I know Doug is still young, but the Maloofs have said in interviews that there would always be an office job in Sac for both him and Vlade even if they had to create one for them....if he's happier here in Sac maybe that's something he should consider. We love you DC.....Good Luck to you wherever your basketball career leads you!

After the way the Magic's front office treated T-Mac this does not surprise me. That franchise is headed straight downhill. Granted Doug has not produced at all for them you still need to stick uo for your guys.....and the Magic's exec's NEVER do! I hope for his sake he can get out of there.

No kidding. He's starting to sound like us Kings fans.....

Seriously though, with all the whiny media attention he's getting no team is going to want a player like that. He's really sacrificing his career by doing all this. It would suck if he retires now. Nobody would remember him as the "defensive stopper", they'd remember him as the "whiny guy who's not a team player".

teamdimechampionship said:
After the way the Magic's front office treated T-Mac this does not surprise me. That franchise is headed straight downhill. Granted Doug has not produced at all for them you still need to stick uo for your guys.....and the Magic's exec's NEVER do! I hope for his sake he can get out of there.
damn it!!!! i hate WEISBROD!!!!

This has just been a bad situation all around. I love DC, always have, but I think that in his heart he has never accepted this trade. I don't know what next season will bring, but I will hope for the best for him.

love_them_kings said:
This has just been a bad situation all around. I love DC, always have, but I think that in his heart he has never accepted this trade. I don't know what next season will bring, but I will hope for the best for him.
Ditto.

Magics GM John Weisbrod don't sound like a good GM. First TMac...now Doug. (And TMac and Doug are very good friends.)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Christie criticizes Weisbrod, Magic

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050414/SPORTS/504140324/1002/sports

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Christie criticizes Weisbrod, Magic[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif][/font] [font=Times New Roman, serif]BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY
[/font] [font=Times New Roman, serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]ORLANDO - Injured guard Doug Christie said Wednesday that it would be "extremely difficult" for him to return to the Orlando Magic next season and he also openly questioned the truthfulness of general manager John Weisbrod in a 35-minute rant.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Wearing a cast on his surgically repaired left ankle and flanked by his wife and agent, Christie conducted a news conference via satellite from Seattle with WFTV-Channel 9 and FLORIDA TODAY. He said he hoped to clear up the reasons why he hasn't been with the team since he was put on the injured list March 5. Also, he bashed Weisbrod and the organization for allegedly not backing him when questions arose about his absence from the team.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"It's going to be extremely difficult," Christie said when asked if wanted to return to Orlando. "It's looked at as, '(Christie) doesn't like Orlando and doesn't want to be there.' That couldn't be farther from the truth. But from the standpoint of a professional atmosphere and a job, it would be very difficult to come back there and play under the circumstances that I have been put through for the last four months."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Weisbrod said that he "has no intentions of trading (Christie) or buying him out of his contract." Christie is making $7.5 million this season and $8.2 million next season. Kelvin Cato, Tony Battie and Christie all have expiring contracts next season, meaning the Magic could have $23 million to deal next February at the trade deadline.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Weisbrod chuckled at the claims that he has not supported Christie.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"The ironical thing is that I've done nothing but defend the kid," Weisbrod said. "If anything, the fans, media and even his own teammates have wondered why I have been so easy on him.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"I'm sure he's upset the way he's been depicted in the media. But I came back from our meeting in New York and said exactly what his injury was. The reality is I've allowed him to go back to Seattle and conduct himself throughout this rehabilitation the way he wanted. I'm the one person in Orlando who has his back and I'm the guy he's taking shots at now."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The Magic traded Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley to Sacramento for Christie on Jan. 10, feeling his defense and leadership would aid a push to the playoffs. But Christie, who turns 35 in May, struggled in his 21 games with the Magic, averaging just 5.7 points a game and getting exposed repeatedly defensively. He was taken out of the starting lineup just after the All-Star break and went on the injured list with pain in his left ankle. After getting tests performed in Seattle and Los Angeles, Christie had surgery April 4 to have bone spurs and bone fragments removed from his left ankle.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The Magic were 18-15 at the time of the trade with Sacramento, 13-12 with Christie on the active roster and 4-15 since he was placed on the injured list. Christie hasn't attended a Magic game since going on the injured list.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Christie and his agent, Bradley Marshall, are accusing Weisbrod of being vague about the veteran player's whereabouts during the past month in an attempt "somehow keep a blur over this trade and why it was done." Marshall, who held up a bag full of bone fragments removed from Christie's ankle, also accused the Magic of engaging in "an attempt to scourge (Christie's) character."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"John Weisbrod started making some statements that I don't think are appropriate," Marshall said. "You don't make the statement, 'I don't know where he's at,' or 'as far as I know he's up in Seattle.' You don't make the statement in New York that you are going back to Orlando to clear everything up and then not do that. You don't make those kinds of statements. He knew exactly what the conditions were of this man's injury.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"We had to object to this with the context of what's been going on in Orlando the last several years. We heard it from other players. We didn't believe it and we trusted John, but I've got to frankly say that we're disappointed."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Christie wondered whether he could ever play for the Magic again, saying "the situation, it doesn't fit the type of person that I am." He hinted that he no longer trusts Weisbrod, adding that the GM's lack of support was "a flat-out lie. I don't need to be lied to more than once to understand the situation."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Christie, a 13-year NBA veteran, also wondered why Weisbrod would trade for him considering that he was likely facing season-ending surgery on his ankle. Weisbrod has said repeatedly that he would make the trade again because he had to move Mobley, who would have been upset with less playing time when the Magic inserted rookie Jameer Nelson into the rotation. Also, Weisbrod is eager to have Christie's expiring contract.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"Wouldn't you say that if you did something like this?" Christie asked. "I mean you can't say, 'No, I wouldn't,' or you just look like a fool. Would you do that if your job was on the line?"[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Weisbrod noted that he couldn't have possibly devoted his full attention to Christie because the Magic also suffered injuries to Grant Hill (shin/ankle inflammation), Hedo Turkoglu (fractured wrist) and Nelson (torn ribcage muscle). Also, Johnny Davis was fired March 17 and replaced on an interim basis by Chris Jent.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"You could make the case with the three injuries and the coaching change that the organization has been on a tougher ride than he's been on lately," Weisbrod said. "The sooner Doug takes the constructive approach to getting himself back the better it will be. But right now, he's making his bed and he's ultimately going to have to lie in it."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Contact Denton at jd41898@aol.com[/font]

WOW! I read that article too. I'd tend to side with Doug. He's a team player first and I've never known him to be a whiner. I remember when the media just reported that Christie didn't show up at a couple of games. It was a couple, three days, before the explanation about his ankle was given. They made it sound like he just decided not to show up! Inexcusable, IMHO.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
kennadog said:
WOW! I read that article too. I'd tend to side with Doug. He's a team player first and I've never known him to be a whiner. I remember when the media just reported that Christie didn't show up at a couple of games. It was a couple, three days, before the explanation about his ankle was given. They made it sound like he just decided not to show up! Inexcusable, IMHO.
Agreed. Knowing Doug as we all do, and knowing how hard he was trying to play before the surgery was performed, I'd have a hard time faulting Doug here.

http://fantasybasketball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=pbkball&hssport=&type=profile&name=351

April 14 Doug Christie told an Orlando television station that it "would be very difficult" for him to return to the Magic next season, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Christie has one more year worth $8.2 million left on his contract.

April 7 Doug Christie had surgery on his left ankle Wednesday in Seattle, according to the Orlando Sentinel. GM John Weisbrod said that what started as a simple arthroscopic procedure became more complicated when doctors needed to make an incision to remove several bone fragments, which will require a longer rehabilitation period.

Mar. 14Although Magic team doctor Joe Billings agreed that Doug Christie needs surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle, he thought the guard could have arthroscopic surgery that may allow him to play again this season, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Christie, who probably would just as soon not play for the Magic ever again, is seeking more opinions.

Mar. 6 Doug Christie said yesterday he likely will undergo season-ending surgery soon to remove bone spurs in his left ankle, according to the Orlando Sentinel. "I've been playing in pain, taking so many anti-inflamatories to mask it that I was spitting up blood this week," Christie said.

Mar. 5The Magic placed Doug Christie on the injured list Saturday with bone spurs in his left foot.

I dont agree with you guys. IMO Doug never really accepted the trade and has copped out on his teamates. This injury didnt just happen like that, but was more of a "im unhappy so lets play the injury out and shut the season down" kind of thing. No matter what, it was an awsome move on Petrie's part to get Doug out of town for some talent.

Warhawk said:
Agreed. Knowing Doug as we all do, and knowing how hard he was trying to play before the surgery was performed, I'd have a hard time faulting Doug here.

http://fantasybasketball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=pbkball&hssport=&type=profile&name=351

April 14 Doug Christie told an Orlando television station that it "would be very difficult" for him to return to the Magic next season, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Christie has one more year worth $8.2 million left on his contract.

April 7 Doug Christie had surgery on his left ankle Wednesday in Seattle, according to the Orlando Sentinel. GM John Weisbrod said that what started as a simple arthroscopic procedure became more complicated when doctors needed to make an incision to remove several bone fragments, which will require a longer rehabilitation period.

Mar. 14Although Magic team doctor Joe Billings agreed that Doug Christie needs surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle, he thought the guard could have arthroscopic surgery that may allow him to play again this season, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Christie, who probably would just as soon not play for the Magic ever again, is seeking more opinions.

Mar. 6 Doug Christie said yesterday he likely will undergo season-ending surgery soon to remove bone spurs in his left ankle, according to the Orlando Sentinel. "I've been playing in pain, taking so many anti-inflamatories to mask it that I was spitting up blood this week," Christie said.

Mar. 5The Magic placed Doug Christie on the injured list Saturday with bone spurs in his left foot.
id have a hard time faulting doug here too, i think im with doug on this one.

iheartBrad said:
He won't be in Orlando come October
yeah he wont be there come October. hes so unhappy that either there going to have to trade him, or hes just gonna quit, and i hope it doesnt come to quitting, but i know where hes coming from and its hard to play for a team that your not happy with. I love ya Doug and i hope you find what your looking for!

iheartBrad said:
I was just about to post this article...

Magic fans are heated about this whole ordeal
You're right...I read what some of the Magics fans are saying and they are totally hating on Doug.

Mad Iron said:
Nobody would remember him as the "defensive stopper", they'd remember him as the "whiny guy who's not a team player".
"Nobody"? Kings fans know that would be a ridiculous thing to say about Christie. During the playoffs last year he played on a foot numb with anesthetic! One playoff series, he sprained his ankle, but his team needed him, so he had his ankle taped and said I'm going out there. And if you look up the definition of "team player", you'll see a picture of Christie. I'm just sorry he's hurt. Although I'm afraid that if were still a King, he'd be trying to hobble around out there for the team, if he thought they really needed him. Seriously.