Doug Christie vs. the Orlando Magic? (merged)

While I have liked MOST of the Kings, Doug has been one of my favorites. By all accounts from his past teammates, Doug is an unselfish team player who plays with heart THROUGH pain. I know he did for us many times. I can never have anything but respect for him. If he says it was too painful to play, as far as I am concerned, it was. As much as he has done for our team, as a fan, I owe him that. I miss his heart and spirit on our team. I wish him all the best and a speedy trip out of Orlando!

Christie isn't the first player to accuse Magic GM John Weisbrod of being two-faced. Steven A. Smith interviewed Tracy McGrady on Sportcenter and he also accused Weisbrod of not dealing honestly with him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Doug Christie was ALWAYS the stereotypical professional athlete. He showed up ready to play, he left it all out there on the court, etc. He was sad to leave Sacramento but he would have given EVERYTHING to Orlando. That's the type of person he is. That doesn't change when you are traded.

For people to accuse Doug of whining, etc. astounds me. Doug Christie isn't a whiner, he never was.

I have to agree with chelle:

...By all accounts from his past teammates, Doug is an unselfish team player who plays with heart THROUGH pain. I know he did for us many times. I can never have anything but respect for him. If he says it was too painful to play, as far as I am concerned, it was. As much as he has done for our team, as a fan, I owe him that. I miss his heart and spirit on our team. I wish him all the best and a speedy trip out of Orlando!
Shame on Weisbrod.

I don't blame the Orlando fans for being upset and I don't blame them for wanting to point the finger at Doug. They don't know him or his work ethic. And apparently, because of the smear job Weisbrod is doing, they may never get a chance to know the Doug Christie we know.

Doug hates Orlando and Chris hates Philly or is that they both really miss being Kings?? I think it's the latter. Something about Arco/Sac gets in your blood and heart and you can't let it go no matter how hard you try. The last thing I would ever accuse Doug of is being a whiner. He has always played with heart and given 110%. I think it's despicable the way he is being treated and they wonder why he's not happy. DUH!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I know folks in Sac love DC, and I loved his play in Sac as well. But at the risk of incuring the wrath of blind DC supporters, I feel the need to point out that when he was drafted by Seattle Doug all but refused to play for the Sonics virtualy forcing the trade to the Lakers. I have always contedned that he grew up quick in the NBA and became a solid team player about the time he left NY for Toronto, but his early career hints to a digruntled side that does not always agree with management and has at least in the past attempted to use the press to force moves. Just trying to be honest and fair here, not trying to pick a fight.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
HndsmCelt said:
I know folks in Sac love DC, adn I loved his play in Sac as well. But at the riskincuring the wrath of blind DC supporters need I point out that when he was drafted by Seattle Doug all but refused to play for the Sonics virtualy forcing the trade to the Lakers. I have always contedned that he grew up quick in the NBA and became a solid team player about the time he left NY for Toronto, but his early career hints to a digruntled side that does not always agree with management and has at least in the past attempted to use the press to force moves. Just trying to be honest and fair here, not trying to pick a fight.
I hear ya, Celt. I attribute it to the fact that many of his fans are too young to remember his early years (or maybe they weren't following basketball at that time).

6th said:
I hear ya, Celt. I attribute it to the fact that many of his fans are too young to remember his early years (or maybe they weren't following basketball at that time).
Remember Damon Stoudamire and Doug Christie as the Raptors backcourt. I lived in Phoenix then and I watched those two combine for about 65 against the Suns! Doug could score back in the day!

Mad Iron said:
No kidding. He's starting to sound like us Kings fans.....

Seriously though, with all the whiny media attention he's getting no team is going to want a player like that. He's really sacrificing his career by doing all this. It would suck if he retires now. Nobody would remember him as the "defensive stopper", they'd remember him as the "whiny guy who's not a team player".
And they couldn't be more off the mark.

If there is someone that can be labeled a true team player then it would be Doug Christie.

I agree that he's doing a little too much whining but Doug has never done real well with negative media attention. Who knows, maybe after next year he'll consider a paycut and come back home to Sacremento.

Čarolija said:
And they couldn't be more off the mark.

If there is someone that can be labeled a true team player then it would be Doug Christie.
I agree, he just needs to feel comfortable and trust the team he's with. Which he obviously doesn't with Orlando.

HndsmCelt said:
I feel the need to point out that when he was drafted by Seattle Doug all but refused to play for the Sonics virtualy forcing the trade to the Lakers.
Christie didn't hold out with the intent of forcing a trade, he just wouldn't sign for what they were offering. Zo and Jim Jackson had similar disputes with Charlotte and Dallas that year, but they were eventually kept. Jackson held out until the 55th game of the year when the Mavs were dying for any kind of bright spot they could find. He's lucky fan morale was so low or he would've been vilified. Even Jon Barry held out with Boston that year. They eventually had to trade him to Milwaukee. You can bet that the owners were thrilled when they got the rookie contract scale. A player like Glenn Robinson coming in and getting a $68 million contract right off the bat is a distant memory.

They boo'd the hell out of Christie in his first few games at Seattle. Wasn't pretty. Barry was drafted in 1992 and still got a smattering of boos in Boston in 1998! Them Celt fans have long memories. They did get Abdelnaby in return for Barry so I can understand their resentment. The Sonics, otoh, got Perkins and were able to foist Benoit Benjamin onto the Lakers. What were they pissed about?

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
Christie didn't hold out with the intent of forcing a trade, he just wouldn't sign for what they were offering. Zo and Jim Jackson had similar disputes with Charlotte and Dallas that year, but they were eventually kept. Jackson held out until the 55th game of the year when the Mavs were dying for any kind of bright spot they could find. He's lucky fan morale was so low or he would've been vilified. Even Jon Barry held out with Boston that year. They eventually had to trade him to Milwaukee. You can bet that the owners were thrilled when they got the rookie contract scale. A player like Glenn Robinson coming in and getting a $68 million contract right off the bat is a distant memory.

They boo'd the hell out of Christie in his first few games at Seattle. Wasn't pretty. Barry was drafted in 1992 and still got a smattering of boos in Boston in 1998! Them Celt fans have long memories. They did get Abdelnaby in return for Barry so I can understand their resentment. The Sonics, otoh, got Perkins and were able to foist Benoit Benjamin onto the Lakers. What were they pissed about?
Nice job putting DC's refuasal to sign into context and yes he was no where near unique, and 20/20 hind sight almost justifies his belife that the rookie contract was toolow but at the time we were not talking about a top draft pick or even a guy from a top school. We were talking about a hot shot shooter from Peperdine... Peperdine! Anyway interesting to see you being kinder than me on this one, but I will repeat that I LIKE DC and any criticims I level would be about his actions in youth not the consumate team player and defensive stopper that played in Totonto and Sacramento.

HndsmCelt said:
Nice job putting DC's refuasal to sign into context and yes he was no where near unique, and 20/20 hind sight almost justifies his belife that the rookie contract was toolow but at the time we were not talking about a top draft pick or even a guy from a top school.
It was 13 years ago, but I do recall him being insistent that he had every intention for playing with Seattle, but both sides couldn't come to an agreement on the zeros. He had some ballz to hold out though, as did Barry. JJ and Zo I can understand. Back then Christie was a dumb mistake machine. Playing for an expansion team with lots of minutes may have saved his career.

Oh, also, West offered a valuable piece (Perkins) for him. Perkins was the steadiest post player the Lakers had that season. West was looking for youth and athleticism at all costs as he was gearing towards rebuilding. He already had drafted Peeler to play 2 and wanted to mold Christie into a 3. If not for that offer, Christie might've been stuck in Seattle until the offseason. They just might've succeeded in breaking his will. Turns out they got a player who didn't shrivel up in the playoffs like most of their team.

Last edited:
I have to admit, as much of a Doug Christie fan that I am, I hate to see him place himself in this position. I watched portions of that interview on the WFTV Channel 9 in Orlando Website (you can go and check it out for yourself).

An athlete never wins when he airs his laundry (whether it is dirty or clean) out in public to the media. I.E. Peja Stojakovic wanting to be traded and Terrell Owens and everything he pisses and moans about. Regardless if Christie feels justified and wronged at the same time, he has made this situation 100 times worst by going to the media in a 38 minute interview, a 14 minute opening statement (according to the interviewer who was on Jim Kozimor's show last night) and holding up a bag full of nasty bone spurs that came out of your foot. :eek: I SAW THIS WITH MY OWN EYES. That was straight up punk.

Now the fans of Orlando has turned on this cat, Weisbrod says he will not trade him or buy him out, and Doug has nowhere to go because if he is 100 percent come training camp and does not report, he is screwed. I am very disappointed that Doug Christie decided to go this route. Things sometimes are better worked out behind closed doors.

Purple Reign said:
I have to admit, as much of a Doug Christie fan that I am, I hate to see him place himself in this position. I watched portions of that interview on the WFTV Channel 9 in Orlando Website (you can go and check it out for yourself).

An athlete never wins when he airs his laundry (whether it is dirty or clean) out in public to the media. I.E. Peja Stojakovic wanting to be traded and Terrell Owens and everything he pisses and moans about. Regardless if Christie feels justified and wronged at the same time, he has made this situation 100 times worst by going to the media in a 38 minute interview, a 14 minute opening statement (according to the interviewer who was on Jim Kozimor's show last night) and holding up a bag full of nasty bone spurs that came out of your foot. :eek: I SAW THIS WITH MY OWN EYES. That was straight up punk.

Now the fans of Orlando has turned on this cat, Weisbrod says he will not trade him or buy him out, and Doug has nowhere to go because if he is 100 percent come training camp and does not report, he is screwed. I am very disappointed that Doug Christie decided to go this route. Things sometimes are better worked out behind closed doors.
I got done seeing the Interview and I'm like you Doug just made it worse and want so bad about it when the reporter told the doug to say weisbrod name his lawyer or agent say his name and then show that photos of his ankle.I was like oh god Doug really going to be the laughing stock in the NBA.

lala2pretty2005 said:
I got done seeing the Interview and I'm like you Doug just made it worse and want so bad about it when the reporter told the doug to say weisbrod name his lawyer or agent say his name and then show that photos of his ankle.I was like oh god Doug really going to be the laughing stock in the NBA.
I got cousin who work for the magic and she would have a list of players who not going to play and report thier absense. She said and everbody else had said it, Doug never came and report of why he wasn't playing.

I wasn't able to follow that.

lala2pretty2005 said:
I got cousin who work for the magic and she would have a list of players who not going to play and report thier absense. She said and everbody else had said it, Doug never came and report of why he wasn't playing.

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"The ironical thing is that I've done nothing but defend the kid," Weisbrod said. "If anything, the fans, media and even his own teammates have wondered why I have been so easy on him.[/font]

Ironical? Now that's a smart man.

Purple Reign said:

Good points. If someone on the Kings now would have done this, we would have blasted them too and given the organization a high five.

VF21 said:
Doug Christie was ALWAYS the stereotypical professional athlete. He showed up ready to play, he left it all out there on the court, etc. He was sad to leave Sacramento but he would have given EVERYTHING to Orlando. That's the type of person he is. That doesn't change when you are traded.

For people to accuse Doug of whining, etc. astounds me. Doug Christie isn't a whiner, he never was.

I have to agree with chelle:

Shame on Weisbrod.

I don't blame the Orlando fans for being upset and I don't blame them for wanting to point the finger at Doug. They don't know him or his work ethic. And apparently, because of the smear job Weisbrod is doing, they may never get a chance to know the Doug Christie we know.
I totally agree with everything you said. I feel so bad for Doug. That whole situation sucks and it really hurts to know that he's still not happy :( I just hope everything goes well for him next season wherever he is. I wish the Kings could get him back..or come to Philly. Maybe he and Chris can help each other out..start the season fresh.

LPKingsFan said:
Good points. If someone on the Kings now would have done this, we would have blasted them too and given the organization a high five.
yup. What if this was Cuttino Mobley who did this we'd all be ready to never see or hear his name again let alone see his actual face...

I haven't really talked about this much on this site but to sum up my sentiment on this matter... I believe both sides were/are wrong

Purple Reign said:

Can someone post the link to the interview. I can't seem to find it....Thanks.