Domantas Sabonis Any Questions?

Man, I said 30-40 points. Which is 30+ points games. Domas has 16 of them at Indiana. Personally, I mean, PERSONALLY, his best seasons were when he was an All-Star. The numbers he has this year are unlikely to send him to the All-Stars game as a King. But it's not a problem as we all know Domas would easily trade the All-Stars game for seeing Kings in play-offs, that's why we love him so much.

What I AM worried indeed is that Kings might benefit from using him a bit differently. Which implies using a bit more of team playing from Fox and Monk, first of all. Shooters don't triumph, teams do. I do love the Kings and physically can't watch any other team. I wish you all the best. But I see a reason to worry.
This is what tells me you are either trolling or haven’t watched him this season. His “”numbers” won’t send him to the All Star game?? he’s pretty much a lock for the All Star game if you actually watch the games, let alone if you want to measure it by his numbers (btw, all his analytics point to him being a top 15-20 player rn in the ENTIRE NBA, not just the West).

In fact, if Domas continues at this rate, he will have a case for All-NBA 3rd team. 18/12/6.4 on great efficiency, good defense and a winning team. Not to mention his numbers keep going up because he started poorly and those numbers don’t reflect the season as a whole. His counting stats will continue to rise.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just in terms of basic counting stats, Sabonis' two all-star seasons he averaged:

18.5 ppg, 12.4 rpg, and 5 apg
20.3 ppg, 12 rpg, and 6.4 apg

This season he's averaging

18 ppg, 12 rpg, and 6.7 apg
while playing a couple less minutes per game.

But as Capt noted, pretty much every advanced stat shows he's playing the best, most efficient basketball of his career right now.

And he's doing it as the hub of the teams offense AND defense. If anything the Kings are struggling to adequately cover for the minutes he's on the bench because he's so integral to what they do. Best of all, he's been trending better than his season averages the last couple weeks.

I could understand the idea of wanting Sabonis to score more if the Kings needed that, but they're the second highest scoring offense in the NBA right now.

Man, I said 30-40 points. Which is 30+ points games. Domas has 16 of them at Indiana. Personally, I mean, PERSONALLY, his best seasons were when he was an All-Star. The numbers he has this year are unlikely to send him to the All-Stars game as a King. But it's not a problem as we all know Domas would easily trade the All-Stars game for seeing Kings in play-offs, that's why we love him so much.

What I AM worried indeed is that Kings might benefit from using him a bit differently. Which implies using a bit more of team playing from Fox and Monk, first of all. Shooters don't triumph, teams do. I do love the Kings and physically can't watch any other team. I wish you all the best. But I see a reason to worry.
Domas will be an ALL STAR 100% this year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Domas will be an ALL STAR 100% this year.
For the month of December (9 games) Domas is averaging 21.1 ppg, 14.4 rpg, and 6.6 apg while shooting a ridiculous 71.3% from the field. Those are fantastic numbers, but to be also doing it THAT efficiently? If he keeps playing anywhere near this level I don't know how he doesn't make the all-star team.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
For the month of December (9 games) Domas is averaging 21.1 ppg, 14.4 rpg, and 6.6 apg while shooting a ridiculous 71.3% from the field. Those are fantastic numbers, but to be also doing it THAT efficiently? If he keeps playing anywhere near this level I don't know how he doesn't make the all-star team.
With AD down he has a legit shot at making 3rd team All-NBA. But he should definitely make the ASG, granted they consider centers to be forwards but still he has to be.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
With AD down he has a legit shot at making 3rd team All-NBA. But he should definitely make the ASG, granted they consider centers to be forwards but still he has to be.
As long as the Kings continue to play well I think he will. It'd be hard to look at the Kings turnaround and NOT send someone on their roster to the ASG. And since Fox has been up and down after a great start, I think Sabonis gets the nod.

What a weird argument. Your center who is increasingly likely to make the all-star game this year should stop playing unselfishly and efficiently from within the flow of a top-5 offense. Huh? I thought the analytics era had gotten us all out of this mentality to at least some degree.

I wouldn't mind if Domas was more aggressive from time to time as a scorer, but the Kings offense doesn't require him to put up 30-40. He's proving his worth as an all-star and one of the best centers in the entire NBA precisely because he doesn't need to be a heliocentric scoring machine. I know fans still go nuts over gaudy counting stats, but Sabonis' astronomical value is plainly obvious to anyone who's watched even a handful of Kings games this season.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This team is capable of much more than just reaching the playoffs (which it hasn't reached yet). 10 points more each game won't be redundant. That's just three failed 3-pointers.
Actually, it isn't. ;)

We don't need more points. We need better defense overall and to find an offensive "flow" that works when Sabonis is taking a breather.

What a weird argument. Your center who is increasingly likely to make the all-star game this year should stop playing unselfishly and efficiently from within the flow of a top-5 offense. Huh? I thought the analytics era had gotten us all out of this mentality to at least some degree.

I wouldn't mind if Domas was more aggressive from time to time as a scorer, but the Kings offense doesn't require him to put up 30-40. He's proving his worth as an all-star and one of the best centers in the entire NBA precisely because he doesn't need to be a heliocentric scoring machine. I know fans still go nuts over gaudy counting stats, but Sabonis' astronomical value is plainly obvious to anyone who's watched even a handful of Kings games this season.
Bingo. The Kings are a top 5 offense precisely because Domas doesn't "demand" the typical shot volume that most all-stars do. His first read is to be a playmaker and get great shots for his teammates to stay involved. And if necessary, he goes and creates or takes the open look/mismatch in the post. I do agree that he's too passive at times when he needs to take over, but that's also why you have Fox for those moments. They're really so good as offensive cornerstones and compliment each other's game so well as a 1A and 1B

Is this where I can post the “ the Pacers traded the wrong big man” quote?
From the rumors last year, the Pacers were really trying to trade Myles Turner, but then he got injured, so they decided to trade Sabonis instead.

I always liked Sabonis better anyways, so I was happy that Turner wasn't available to be traded. It has worked out great for the Kings!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The way I remembered it was they wanted to trade one of them and many people feel (perhaps still do) that Turner is the better modern big. Sabonis is definitely on the wrong end of a lot of basketball prejudices and I think that only served to benefit us by making him available. Even today there are still people that insist we are the big time losers of this trade even though Sabonis is doing things that were never possible, Fox is enjoying a leap-year and we have adequately filled out our guard rotation in a manner that completely complements itself. Frankly I don't understand why he wasn't considered untouchable.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ugh..ESPN should just stick to talking about LeBron

These guys get paid. One of them even think we got Huerter in the deal and still says we lost lol

[yt]
Laughable. You know, it's possible for both teams to come out better on a trade, guys. Maybe one day Bontemps will actually watch a Kings game.

I so hate the “more valuable position” argument. Players are all different and play positions differently.

Tyrese is awesome. Sabonis is awesome. Wish we could have had them both. But the Kings needed a legit big. They had been getting pushed around on the glass for years. And the Kings needed more paint touched and an offensive hub.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I so hate the “more valuable position” argument. Players are all different and play positions differently.

Tyrese is awesome. Sabonis is awesome. Wish we could have had them both. But the Kings needed a legit big. They had been getting pushed around on the glass for years. And the Kings needed more paint touched and an offensive hub.
The guards are more valuable than bigs argument is also stupid when big men have won the MVP award for four seasons in a row and the same media system saying guards are more important than bigs has also spent the last year hyping the hell out of a 7’3” center.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The guards are more valuable than bigs argument is also stupid when big men have won the MVP award for four seasons in a row and the same media system saying guards are more important than bigs has also spent the last year hyping the hell out of a 7’3” center.
It's possible that we're seeing the resurgence of the importance of the big man. Someone who isn't just a spacer and shot blocker.

It's a copycat league - everyone wants to be Curry, and if you can shoot, cool. But, big but, if the Nuggets win with Jokic, or Philly with Embid, you'll see a lot more teams gambling on big men, instead of just being the afterthought.

Laughable. You know, it's possible for both teams to come out better on a trade, guys. Maybe one day Bontemps will actually watch a Kings game.
Thx a lot Capt, I'm now signifcantly dumber after watching that video. So freaking cringy.

The dude quoting Hali's line if 40 ast/0 TO from a month ago, meanwhile Sabonis is on a 10-game stretch that hasn't been done since Wilt. Pathetic

It's possible that we're seeing the resurgence of the importance of the big man. Someone who isn't just a spacer and shot blocker.

It's a copycat league - everyone wants to be Curry, and if you can shoot, cool. But, big but, if the Nuggets win with Jokic, or Philly with Embid, you'll see a lot more teams gambling on big men, instead of just being the afterthought.
It never went away, the bigs just became more skilled. Also, the guards being more valuable nonsense has basically just been because of Steph. Most valuable has been 6-8-7 footer La that can dribble, pass, shoot and defend. For like 2 decades.

It never went away, the bigs just became more skilled. Also, the guards being more valuable nonsense has basically just been because of Steph. Most valuable has been 6-8-7 footer La that can dribble, pass, shoot and defend. For like 2 decades.
Nash and Steph are the exceptions.

And fools are sleeping on Sabonis’ improvement from 3. There is way more left to unlock.

Those commentators make it sound like trading Hali for Giannis or Tatum would have been a bad move because point guard is more important. Barf.

Ugh..ESPN should just stick to talking about LeBron

These guys get paid. One of them even think we got Huerter in the deal and still says we lost lol

[yt]
This is some of the worst analysis I’ve seen out there. Just terrible. It really is baffling how you could call this deal anything other than a win (A) for the Kings. They are SIGNIFICANTLY better after the trade! Not to mention Domas is putting up Jokic like stat lines on the nightly. And this is not a knock on Tyrese, Pacers have been better too. And then compare our trade where we gave up ZERO 1st rounders for an all star vs what Minnesota and Cleveland gave up to acquire all stars and its even more of a win. I don’t know why this video pissed me off so much, probably why I stopped watching ESPN shows like this altogether.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As long as the basket is 10 feet above the ground bigs are always going to be valuable. The difference between now and 20 years ago is bigs need to be skilled. Which Sabonis is to an unbelievable extent. And he's also worked on his biggest weakness in the modern game (3 pt shooting coming from the C spot) in the offseason.

As long as the basket is 10 feet above the ground bigs are always going to be valuable. The difference between now and 20 years ago is bigs need to be skilled. Which Sabonis is to an unbelievable extent. And he's also worked on his biggest weakness in the modern game (3 pt shooting coming from the C spot) in the offseason.
I try so hard not to watch stupid crap like this video, but here it is. Dude upgraded them from a D to a C minus lol. 5th in the west, and looking like a piece away from a legit contender ALL because of this trade that takes the Kings from a crapty team to a potential perennial playoff team? The F are these fools on?

At no point do they talk about not only how good Domantas has been on the court, but how he has elevated the rest of the team. Dude is an All Star in a crowded Western Conference, and he has his team winning with a solid identity. The Kings are ****ing FUN now, and (all due respect) Tyrese didn't make them this fun outside of a few flashes.

Doing this trade over, I probably still would have kept Fox and traded Hali. The video of Hali going after Buddy cuz Buddy messed up and didn't give him the space he wanted at the end of the half sticks with me. Fox wouldn't have done that. Hali threw a tantrum over it.

And isn't Hali like 3.5 years younger than Sabonis? They make it out like the Kings traded for a 30 yr old. Sabonis is only 26 and coming into his prime within the next 2 to 3 years.

And the fact they quoted Mathurin and didn't even point out Murray as the prime running mate with Sabonis just shows the narrative still is what it is, the Kings suck (we dont) and the Kings lose every trade (they dont) and the Kings are just super inept and have been for decades (well at least we are middle managed and treadmilling).

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU********K
ESPN Sources: Sacramento Kings All-Star Domantas Sabonis has suffered a right-hand injury and will undergo further testing and evaluation on treatment options. It is immediately unclear how much time – if any – Sabonis will miss.